PDA

View Full Version : This may seem stupid......

Erica Marie
05-10-2013, 11:05 PM
...... But has any one else had a smile brought to them by such a simple thing. I decided to go to a neighboring town tonight and do some cloths shopping. I was in boy mode and went to Goodwill and did some looking around. I found a few cute outfits and took them to the dressing room (nervous of course) but the girls working there didnt even give me a second look. I tried them on, some fit and some didnt. Well long story short after two more trips to the dressing room I finally decided on the things I liked that actually fit, by the way do you know how hard it is to find cute size 4 skirts that arent too short? So I took my items up to the check out and a younger girl in her early twenties was working the register. She rang me up with a smile, made some small talk and gave me a genuin thank you. So very polite that it just made me smile and took away my nervousness. Sounds dumb doesnt it? I think the younger generation is alot more open minded, wish everyone was, life would be alot easier.

Wildaboutheels
05-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Good for you Erica for getting out agin. Used clothing stores are undoubtedly CDers best kept secrets. I'm betting any typical decent sized store probably gets dozens of CDers a day. Did she know they were for you? She probably did if she has been working there for any period of time. They probably see a lot of nervous CDers explaining "these aren't for me" or something to that effect.

And while I agree with you about the younger generation being more open, they are also the most likely people to open their mouths and speak before their brains are engaged fully. I think "society" in general is a lot more accepting than most here proclaim or believe.

Polite, courteous salespeople in any store are always a good thing.

I'll bet in just a couple more trips, you'll be trying on stuff right in the aisles. That way you don't have to [sometimes] fight for a dressing room on sale days.

Rachelakld
05-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Hi Erica, yes the young are much more TV & internet exposed to other ways of living.
In either man mode or girl mode, the staff are always nice - I would say slightly nicer when I'm in girl mode, but either way they still love helping me dress up. They are equally nice at coffee shops, movies, restaurants etc

Erica Marie
05-11-2013, 06:16 AM
Did she know they were for you? She probably did if .

I was there a little over an hour so I would say that she knew. Im sure in that amount of time she had seen me in the aisles. At first I think she was a little nervous too. She fumbled my change a little and said sorry. I was real polite and I could tell it made her feel at ease and so that made me feel good.

Laura912
05-11-2013, 06:55 AM
Size 4 dress?!?! Wow! Don't we wish. :daydreaming:

Toronto Kristen
05-11-2013, 08:37 AM
I have never had any problems or funny looks when shopping at Value Village. The biggest problem has been my "nervousness" when looking around. Sadly there is not a Goodwill store close by.

reb.femme
05-11-2013, 08:44 AM
And while I agree with you about the younger generation being more open, they are also the most likely people to open their mouths and speak before their brains are engaged fully. I think "society" in general is a lot more accepting than most here proclaim or believe.

Hi Erica,

Widaboutheels has expressed my thought exactly. Gobby teens are the norm in my part of the world, but equally, some are future diamonds. I know as I work with a few.

Unfortunately, it appears we have more of the former here. :heehee:

Anyway, we'll look forward to your YouTube 'Goodwill Haul' video. You will of course be up against Jessica Who!

Rebecca

Rabecca
05-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Sure sounds like fun. When I'm out shopping I don't look around so much any more.
That helped me a lot. Next is trying things on at the store. I'm all most there.
Can't wait for the next picture batch.

Lainie
05-11-2013, 09:28 AM
The interaction with sales assistants is a big part of what I enjoy about shopping. Almost always very pleasant--young women, old ladies, men, .... The world is full of happy people, only a few sourpusses.

Toronto Kristen
05-11-2013, 09:39 AM
For the most part I have not got any comments from the sales people, although I did get a "these are really nice shoes" when I bought the pink shoes below. I just said "Thanks, I agree".

Chari
05-11-2013, 09:41 AM
The more you get out & about, the more you will feel comfortable and confident in who YOU are - no matter how you are dressed! No need to explain who the feminine items are for - as most SAs just want to make a sale. Some SAs are more helpful than others, usually if you are honest with them. There are many more smiles waiting for you with all your new adventures.

Tracii G
05-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Goodwill is a fantastic place to shop.
Sounds like you had a fun time.

Toronto Kristen
05-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Over the past few months, Value Village has been my go-to place. However, I am going to have a look at Goodwill today.

Lynn Marie
05-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Trust me Erica, your shopping experience will become not only the "norm", but actually sort of mundane. Your fear of being thought of as gay or a crossdresser will not only fade, but you may even become proud of your unique place on the planet!

Erica Marie
05-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Sure sounds like fun. When I'm out shopping I don't look around so much any more.
That helped me a lot. Next is trying things on at the store. I'm all most there.
Can't wait for the next picture batch.

It does get easier with each time out, trying on outfits is no big deal at Goodwill because they do not lock the rooms. If you dont make things look suspicious no one will bother you. I just need to shop with more confidence. Part of my nervousness is scanning the racks because my fashion sense still has alot of learning to do. In time, maybe I will hit a regular store like Kohls and find a SA that will help me put together a matching outfit. In time......

Beverley Sims
05-11-2013, 02:43 PM
I have sometimes wondered whether I have been busted buying things.
I just carry on with the pleasantries and express my thanks.

Lucy Lou
05-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Quite right. I have bought cloths before but have never gone to a dressing room. Maybe i should try it because sometimes i don't really get what I want. I have bought make up from a store near me and there is a quick check out place where you put the stuff past the bar code reader and pay and go. I have got some lingerie from shops and have had some odd looks, but I don't really care because I know how much pleasure I am going to get which out ways any thought from a stranger.

:o:battingeyelashes:

Best of luck Lucy Lou xxxx

Jessica Who
05-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Doesn't sound dumb at all, I am happy that you had such a nice time. I always have a positive experience when I go shopping in publilc :)

ErinP
05-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Foe me the dressing room is at least a mostly private place. A friend once told me to just take some male clothes along with the real ones. But, I've gotten over it and just go. The tough one is shoes! No place to go. But, is one of those things that deserve to be tied on! Now people are looking. :)

Allison Chaynes
05-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Goodwill is actually the only place I have ever tried on clothes in the changing room. There are no attendants giving the evil eye or anything. I've never had a bad experience with cashiers making snarky comments or anything. Outside of lines being too long with too many employees standing around not doing anything to help, I love shopping there.

Erica Marie
05-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Thanks girls for all your comments and advice. I posted a few pics of my latest Goodwill finds in the pic area if you wanna see.