PDA

View Full Version : Would your dog recognize you dolled up?

michelleddg
05-11-2013, 09:29 AM
A while back I posted that I don't think my own momma wouldn't recognize me dolled up, and it generated interesting discussion.

How about my dog? Yes, absolutely, no getting around it! I think it's a matter of not being able to get past his super doggie sense of smell and hearing. He treats all strangers, men and women, with trepedation, but Michelle gets a free pass.

May have to rethink passing by my own momma at the grocery store. Hugs, Michelle

Toronto Kristen
05-11-2013, 09:34 AM
The only way your dog would not recognise you is if he completely loses his sense of smell.

As a complete aside, for anyone who is a dog lover and likes thriller/crime novels, I would recommend Suspect by Robert Crais.

Kate Simmons
05-11-2013, 09:35 AM
My dog never cared really, just wanted the bacon bits despite the quizzical look.:)

Jenni Yumiko
05-11-2013, 09:58 AM
One Halloween I was Dave Brockie from Gwar and my dogs started growling and got into pounce stance, I had to quickly remove my mask before I was attacked by a killer toy collie, lahapso and dashund... Mauled by semi lap dogs... That would have been amusing to say the least

AmyGaleRT
05-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Our cat doesn't care; she loves me whichever mode I'm in and treats me just the same way. I just have to be careful when holding her to keep an errant claw from making a mess of my forms!

- Amy

Alexis.j
05-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Yeah, pets will always know... but the occasionally give me the weird look, lol

suchacutie
05-11-2013, 10:21 AM
She certainly knew the difference between my gendered selves, being more partial to Tina by a lot!!!

CynthiaD
05-11-2013, 10:22 AM
My dog watches me get dressed. No chance of fooling him.

Cheryl T
05-11-2013, 11:04 AM
I don't have a dog and my cat could care less so long as there is food in her dish and a clean litter box.

kimdl93
05-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Yup, they see me dressed more often than in drabs. It doesn't seem to matter how I look so long as I have treats!

Beverley Sims
05-11-2013, 12:40 PM
When I first confronted the dog he did not know from a distance, but smell take over closeup.

Cheryl Ann Owens
05-11-2013, 12:56 PM
I can only speak for our cat. She is ambivalent and only cares that her food dish is full and gets the occasional neck rub. I'm just glad she can't speak our language, use the phone, or the internet.

Cheryl

Maria S
05-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Our cats think I'm my wife.

Maria

joanne_mi
05-11-2013, 01:33 PM
This is probably stupid. But I always feel like the dog is judging me when I'm dressed up. I know that's likely not possible, and he does know it's me, and he likely won't share the secret. But it freaks me out a little anyway.

S. Lisa Smith
05-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Like they care...

Diane Smith
05-11-2013, 03:27 PM
My dog doesn't seem to notice any difference in me no matter how I'm dressed. I think they depend mostly on smell and hearing to recognize others, and appearance is not very important.

- Diane

Jeannie
05-11-2013, 04:07 PM
We were watching a dog for about a week or so and I dressed up one night while she was here. I came walking out of the bedroom and was in the doorway by the dog. I think I scared it half to death because she started barking like I was a complete stranger. She knew me very well and had been around me for at least a year on a daily basis. When I spoke her name she immediately calmed down. Now, if I looked bad enough to scare the dog then I must be one ugly woman. Lol!!! Our dog on the other hand doesn't even bat an eye when I dress. He such a good dog.

andrea lace
05-11-2013, 04:07 PM
The first time my dog saw me in a black costume wig she barked at me but as soon as I opened my mouth she knew it was me and gave me a puzzled look

Lucy Lou
05-11-2013, 04:16 PM
My dog sees me dressed all the time and treats me the same. She smells its me and is totally accepting. Bless her. Lucy :)

AllyCDTV
05-11-2013, 05:01 PM
With their sense of smell, there is no way a dress, makeup and wig are going to fool my dogs. They do kinda give me a strange look when the see me dressed. Come to think of it, they seem to give me a strange look anytime they see me. LOL

Jessica Who
05-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Yea, my dogs always recognize me hehe

stephNE
05-11-2013, 05:28 PM
We had an odd cat a few years ago. She hated all men and loved women. Every time a man was in the room, she would hide under the furniture, and shake and cower. But when I dresses, she would come out and rub up against me and purr and even hop up into my lap to be petted. I'm not sure she could see the difference, maybe it was the smell or perfume or something.

Cheryl Ann Owens
05-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Aside from not recognising us at first, and then realizing it's just us, I'd say that our pets demonstrate un-conditional love, something that many humans have never learned especially around us.

Cheryl

Ina Girdle
05-11-2013, 05:47 PM
My dog couldn't care less what I have on, she only wants me to play fetch. Ina

Acastina
05-11-2013, 07:58 PM
I've been through a dog for 15 years and a herd of cats over 40 years. Doesn't seem to make any difference to them. They only have one set of clothes but see us in every state from naked to whatever. They know and love us through a lot more than their sense of sight, and they don't seem to give a s**t about society's little boxes.

Darlene-VA
05-11-2013, 08:26 PM
For the last year I have been working on a stray cat who has been hanging around the cabin he comes twice a day for food and when I am in drab he will run right off the porch. However when I am dressed he will stay right near the food bowl and let me feed him.

ColleenCD
05-11-2013, 08:54 PM
My dog knows me however I'm dressed. Another reason I love her is that she she doesn't care how I'm dressed. What does she know that people don't? Hmmm.

Colleen

Allison Chaynes
05-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Mine did not recognize me at first, until I told them to shut up with the barking. Then they just looked confused. Now the one I still have knows.

ErinP
05-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Unconditional love. Dogs are wonderful. I have a snag in my nylons though.

Artistheart
05-11-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't have dogs but I do have cats. When I dress they could careless.

Marleena
05-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Yes.... Unconditional love now matter how I'm dressed. I could be in a gorilla suit and she'd accept me. I wouldn't even have to prove I'm a gorilla to her either.lol.

Acastina
05-11-2013, 11:36 PM
I don't have dogs but I do have cats. When I dress they could careless.

My experience is that they could care less generally, unless they want food or a warm lap. Gotta love'em, though.

Amanda M
05-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Long time ago, my wife's dog (a massive Alsatian) launched himself at me. He and I were best friends, but I had come straight into the house after an Army exercise, still in filthy combats. I can only imagine two things - he had been trained to be very suspicious of combats, and I was pretty rank as a result of being in the field for a while. He DID recognize me when he was in mid-air, and turned aside, though.

Alison1842
05-12-2013, 04:09 PM
This is the thread that finally made me take the plunge and register.

I don't have a dog, but we do have gerbils. They are totally unfazed by anything you wear (clothing, respirators, welding mask, motor bike helmets etc im not into anything kinky, but a engineer by trade and work from home a lot) and still very much recognize you. That said, one of them is totally mesmerise by sparkly toe nail varnish!

Fifi
05-12-2013, 05:57 PM
I tried to keep the window door closed so that my dog couldn't smell me. With my wig and makeup on it takes about 3 seconds for my dog to process who is in front of her and then about 3 seconds later she starts wagging her tail again. I think she recognizes the features on my face.

Asp
05-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I think my dog judges me when I'm dressed. She doesn't seem to want the same kind of attention.

Alice Torn
05-12-2013, 06:48 PM
A number of yrs ago, i was staying at someones house, and they had two dogs. When i got all dressed up, in wig, the big Mastiff, was terrified, and ran and hid everytime. Cats did not mind, or the other little dog. Of course, i only dressed when the homeowner was gone.

Renee_E
05-12-2013, 06:54 PM
When I was a teenager i had borrowed a few things while my parents were out. My mom had a toy poodle that went crazy when he saw me until I pulled off the blonde wig.

Ceri Anne
05-12-2013, 06:57 PM
My dog recognized me, but would give me dirty looks.........like "what are you doing???"

dawnmarrie1961
05-12-2013, 07:35 PM
My old dog "Lucky", a chow and German Shepard mix,. I remember when I came back from Virginia, after being separated from my wife for a year. I had my hair colored black and it was permed. I was wearing a mini-skirt and high heels. Lucky came running up to the door barking. At first she didn't seem to recognize me but as soon as she heard my voice saying "Hello, Girl." she peed all over the floor in excitement! God I miss that dog. My ex-wife has her. So at least I know she is being taken care of. She is such a good dog. (The dog. Not my wife. Well she's good too. But she isn't a dog.)

MysticLady
05-12-2013, 09:52 PM
My little doggie would just sit there and turn her little head sideways at an angle. I miss my little doggie.:sad:

Tiffanyselkoe
05-12-2013, 10:29 PM
My dog doesn't seem to know the difference.

Paula T
05-13-2013, 09:28 PM
I have 4 small dogs and they have seen me dressed many times so don't seem to care. But for some reason or other they seem to know that they aren't coming along with me when I go out. Very strange as usually going somewhere in the car is cause for a general meelee.

Michelle Crossfire
05-13-2013, 09:29 PM
I doubt it. I don't have a dog.

Laura28
05-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Mine gives me the look like ok there he goes again changing the way he looks but she knows it is me.

*Amelia*
05-13-2013, 11:46 PM
mine definitely recognizes me, he sees me get dressed in the morning. He doesn't care, he just wants attention and treats!

Norah_joy
05-14-2013, 09:30 AM
My first thought when reading title of this thread was: "Now why would my dog be all dolled up?". Norah

Jaymees22
05-14-2013, 11:39 AM
My dog knows who I am and could care less. He is with me the most when I'm dressed. Jaymee

linda allen
05-15-2013, 07:14 AM
For the last year I have been working on a stray cat who has been hanging around the cabin he comes twice a day for food and when I am in drab he will run right off the porch. However when I am dressed he will stay right near the food bowl and let me feed him.

That sort of behavior indicates that the animal may have been abused by a male in the past.

As for a pet treating us differently when we're dressed, consider this - your pet sees you naked, sees you in all manner of different male clothes, shorts, long pants, winter outerwear, etc. It makes no difference to him/her. A dog or cat doesn't know that a particular piece of clothing is supposed to be worn by human males or females.

A wig might change things for a moment, but the pet will soon recognize you and from then on, it's just like the clothing. It doesn't matter.

Our puppy likes to chew on my wig hair. Of course she likes to chew on everything.

melissakozak
05-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Yep, they do, they have better noses than eyes....

Vicky Peters
05-15-2013, 09:02 AM
I was modeling a new dress that I bought, to my wife. As I came down the stairs with my wig on, the dog gave me a second look untl I spoke, than all was well.

Angela Campbell
05-15-2013, 04:23 PM
I haven't let my dog get all dolled up in a while, but if he did and did not recognize me I would figure it was pink fog.

ME2.0
05-15-2013, 10:08 PM
My dog recognized me as soon as I spoke to her, but my parrots have never caught on the the idea that I'm the same person. They treat me like a stranger when I'm dressed. But Parrots have very good eyesight and rely on that to tell them what they're looking at. Dogs rely a lot more on sound and smell.

Hugs,
Staci