PDA

View Full Version : *** POLL Relationship w/ Mother ***

Fifi
05-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Hi Alls, I'm not asking everyone this question because it's mother's day.

But I wonder how many of us were close with our mother's when we were young children?

I was an only child and I remember all the way up to around the age of 5 or 6 all I would do is spend time with my mom in the house. I would watch her do makeup, get dressed, get dolled up, put on nail polish, toe nail polish etc. I think as a natural reaction because I was so close with her, I wanted to "join" in the same activities as her. There wasn't a gender line that told me, "Hey you're not supposed to do this, because you are a boy". I was just mirroring all of my mom's activities until of course it came to wearing a dress or putting on makeup. When people told me that I couldn't do what "mom" was doing there was a separation / distancing that occurred. This leads me to believe that maybe this is where the first desire for me to dress began?

I think basic human psychology says that if you want something and you can't get it, usually you just want it more?

So I wonder on a scale of 1-10 how many of you experienced something similar? The other way could be an interesting way to look at it too, if you were really distant from your mother?

So On a Scale of 1-10...

How close were you with mom when you were young? 10
How much time did you spend with your mom when you were young? 10
How much did you like your mom when you were young? 10
When you are fully dressed how much does your makeup / look look like your mother's when you were young? 7
How many siblings did you have? 0

I thought it was funny that Dictionary.com's word of the day was "feminacy". Maybe because it's mother's day?

Angela Campbell
05-12-2013, 06:33 PM
When you are fully dressed how much does your makeup / look look like your mother's when you were young? not sure but I look a lot like my daughters.
How many siblings did you have? 1

The brother I had was a big influence on me. It was from him I learned to keep this a secret. He was the first one to beat me up because I wanted to be a girl.

Other question you may want to consider

Were your friends when very young (below 10) mostly boys or girls> mostly girls

Loni
05-12-2013, 06:34 PM
never was all that close to anyone in my family when i was a kid..up into my 20's.

now only my mom and i are left of the family and we are very close. some truly believe we are sisters. (mutt and jeff style).

Beverley Sims
05-12-2013, 06:59 PM
I think basic human psychology says that if you want something and you can't get it, usually you just want it more?
I think this part is true. 10

How close were you with mom when you were young? 4
How much time did you spend with your mom when you were young? 3
When you are fully dressed how much does your makeup / look look like your mother's when you were young? 5

This straw poll is a bit like clutching at straws.

dawnmarrie1961
05-12-2013, 07:40 PM
When you are fully dressed how much does your makeup / look look like your mother's when you were young? 10. But more when I had my hair colored black.
How many siblings did you have? 7. I'm the middle one.

Fifi
05-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Wow. Really insightful answers. This was probably a little expected but so many 10s.

Especially here:

Others please chime in... Think our mothers played a big part somewhere in our wiring w/ CD

Emjay
05-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Hmm....

My answers would be a 10, 10, 10, probably not very much on the makeup and I have 5 siblings. I actually think I favor my maternal grandmother when she was young when I'm dressed, whom I'm also still very close to. I'm really happy about that because looking at some of her old photos she was a knockout! :)

It's funny, today being Mother's Day we were all together and I was thinking of something along these lines while I was there: I've always been more comfortable at family get togethers in the kitchen with my mom, grandmother, sister, S.O. etc. rather than being out in the garage or in the living room "with the men"..... It's not really a concious thing or anything, it's just where I gravitate to, where I always end up, the comfort zone I suppose...

Vickie_CDTV
05-13-2013, 04:44 AM
I had a very similar experience, I was very attached to her growing up and I was an only child. I am certainly a reflection of her, inside and out.

When you are fully dressed how much does your makeup / look look like your mother's when you were young? 9

Angela Campbell
05-13-2013, 05:02 AM
Wow. Really insightful answers. Think our mothers played a big part somewhere in our wiring w/ CD

I am not sure of this in my case. My Mother is one of the biggest reasons for my lifelong coverup. I asked her when I was 4 or 5 if I could be a girl. She told me emphatically NO and to stop being silly and not to talk that way. She raised me just like my brother who as far as I know had no such tendencies. For me I am pretty sure it was hard wiring from birth.

Jocelyn Quivers
05-13-2013, 08:36 AM
How close were you with mom when you were young? 10 Very close but in a normal way. Not a creepy Norman/Norma Bates type thing.
How much time did you spend with your mom when you were young? 8, My mom worked full time so I was a latch key kid most of the time.
How much did you like your mom when you were young? 10, I was kind of hard headed when I was younger and could be a lot to handle. More kudos and props that my mother did not have a nervous breakdown, especially when confronted with stressful situations like finding me wearing her clothes!:eek:
When you are fully dressed how much does your makeup / look like your mother's when you were young? 2, Maybe a 2nd or 3rd cousin at the most.
How many siblings did you have? 1

Phoebe
05-13-2013, 10:01 AM
So On a Scale of 1-10...

How close were you with mom when you were young? 5
How much time did you spend with your mom when you were young? 8
How much did you like your mom when you were young? 9
When you are fully dressed how much does your makeup / look look like your mother's when you were young? 0
How many siblings did you have? 6

Note when I put on makeup now and look in the mirror I see my mother when she was in her forties. My mother shared her love equally as she could with my siblings.
I think my brother four years younger than I was her favorite. She kind of over fed him and we nicknamed him "Meatball" :heehee:

Janet

Fifi
05-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Thanks Gals for the input. Very insightful.

Jenni Yumiko
05-14-2013, 04:56 AM
So On a Scale of 1-10...

How close were you with mom when you were young? 4
How much time did you spend with your mom when you were young? 4
How much did you like your mom when you were young? 9
When you are fully dressed how much does your makeup / look look like your mother's when you were young? 0

I was a latchkey kid spent most of my time with other relatives. However they were all women.

Sissy_Michelle
05-14-2013, 08:35 AM
How much time did you spend with your mom when you were young? 7
When you are fully dressed how much does your makeup / look look like your mother's when you were young? 10 (from what I remember my mom hardly ever wore makeup)
How many siblings did you have? 4

There were no vote buttons I do hope that this format was okay?