PDA

View Full Version : How long are your nails?

Lindsayw2013
05-13-2013, 01:59 PM
I am trying to grow out my male nails and I was wondering if anyone else had and how long they were before anyone said something.

ArleneRaquel
05-13-2013, 02:03 PM
No one has said a thing about my nails when I was in drab. One young lady, early 20's, said that she liked my nails. I was in male mode & this was about 5 years ago.

Jaylyn
05-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Due to my working on the house in the remodeling of it I have to use the glue on kind tried growing them but they just stayed dirty and beside we're always splitting or hanging on something even mashed one in a saw horse and had to drill a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure. May grow them out when I get old....

Bonnie Stone
05-13-2013, 02:10 PM
I use the glue on, I use white Elmers glue and then soak in warm water to remove them,

NicoleScott
05-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Bonnie, I'm shocked that white Elmer's glue will make fake nails stick. My experience is that Elmer's won't stick to anything non-porus, like plastics. Still shocked. How do you do it?

To the OP: years ago, I tried to grow out my nails in anticipation of a weekend when I planned on painting them. When they got to about 3/16 inch longer than normal, they drove me crazy, but I stuck it out and painted them. Now, I use fake nails with adhesive nail tabs. With them, I love the look but I am totally unable to do anything. I don't know how GG's do it.

Jaylyn
05-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Bonnie do you have to rough up your original nails to get the Elmer's to stick and how long does it take to dry. When I use wood glue or other Elmer's it seems like an overnight process and usually have to press the pieces together with clamps.

Cheryl Ann Owens
05-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Ten years ago they were quite long maybe a quarter inch more than "normal" and looked fabulous. I was doing manual labor at the time and somehow protected them. Today I'm retired and they break just looking at them! Grrrr! No one ever said anything about them. I suppose they would if I had on some bright red polish. Get a quart of acetone at Lowes or Home Depot to keep handy. You never know when your mother-in-law will knock on the door! Been there!

Cheryl

dawnmarrie1961
05-13-2013, 02:33 PM
A few years back when I was working in a call center my supervisor commented about my nails being to long. "I noticed you're having a bit of a problem with typing your notes lately. Perhaps you might want to shorten your finger nails." He was right. I had a french manicure done and they were much longer than I normally had them. I found it very difficult to type accurately. Lots of typos. I went back to the salon and had them shortened. After that my typing accuracy returned to normal. Long nails are nice and they looked pretty but nice and pretty don't always translate into functionality.

danielle3
05-13-2013, 02:37 PM
I have always let my nails grow with at least 1/8" protrusion. This is mostly to aid in a skin condition whereby my fingertips become hard and crack if my nails are short. A also like the look and the nails are a great aid in handling small items. The length is difficult to keep up as like Cheryl they are always shattering. Mostly no one says anything, a couple of times I get "nice nails".

Bonnie Stone
05-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Bonnie do you have to rough up your original nails to get the Elmer's to stick and how long does it take to dry. When I use wood glue or other Elmer's it seems like an overnight process and usually have to press the pieces together with clamps.

I use it as a temporary, use just a drop and hold under a lamp to dry, been doing it for awhile and have had no prob with it.

Yes I build model cars and I use fine sand paper and wet and use the paper on my nail, use real fine to scuff them

Beverley Sims
05-13-2013, 03:01 PM
I grow mine long usually without comment other than when did you last cut your nails, and preserve them by using clear nail polish to keep moisture in .

Carmen
05-13-2013, 03:03 PM
I try to maintain my nails 1/8 to 3/16 inch. If I'm going to 'go out' I will allow them to grow out to max length and then apply polish...what fun!
One advantage of having long nails is using the nail to type and press controls at work, at the ATM etc...
They start to split if I let them grow too long.

CynthiaD
05-13-2013, 03:07 PM
I keep mine cut short. When I grow them long they keep breaking, and I spend most of the day at the keyboard, and for me, long nails and keyboards don't mix. I'd like to keep the ones on my right hand long for playing fingerstyle guitar, but it just doesn't work out.

Frédérique
05-13-2013, 04:23 PM
How long are your nails?

Rather short. I’m good with tools, like any boy, and I hate to get dirt under my nails. At the end of the day, I’m a slave to practicality, so the nails must be SHORT...
:doh:

Kelley
05-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Mine are between an 1/8" to 1/4" past the tips of my fingers. I have had 1 comment so far from the MA at the MAC counter when I was having foundation matched. She said I had beautiful finger nails. I did get a long look from a co-worker but no questions.

Kelley

Jean 103
05-13-2013, 06:35 PM
fairly short, when I grow them out to is not practical. I use fake nails with adhesive tabs which I buy separately. You can paint them in advance so they are dry and perfect when I put them on. They can just be pealed off with no real mess. I have extra ones in my purse when I go out, as I will usually knock one off.

Jessica Who
05-13-2013, 07:08 PM
I like to keep my nails short, my nail beds are already big enough to look good with polish :D

Starr
05-13-2013, 07:51 PM
i have always had kind of long nails for a guy... but since i dress a lot now.. i have started letting them grow and keeping them shaped.. only problem i have it second finger on each hand keeps breaking very easy.... the feather and also chip out.. i know they are the longest and are more likely to hit things while i work but for the most part i keep the rest looking nice and long.. i also polish them with clear polish.. have been doing that for over a year now.. no one has said anything to me about them other then some women i have seen that talked about how pretty they are.

Diane Smith
05-14-2013, 12:27 AM
I wear my nails full time about 5/8" to 3/4" past the fingertip -- that's L-O-N-G -- with pink and white acrylic overlays. Everyone notices them, about one in ten thousand comment, and almost all of those are positive. Servers at drive-up fast food windows seem to be the most likely to say something (other than at the nail salon itself or when I'm shopping en femme).

- Diane

Sabrina133
05-14-2013, 08:07 AM
I keep mine short but buffed and shiny but will paint them on weekends. If am going to be away from work for a while, i'll get fake ones.

rachael.davis
05-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Bonnie, I'm shocked that white Elmer's glue will make fake nails stick. My experience is that Elmer's won't stick to anything non-porus, like plastics. Still shocked. How do you do it?

To the OP: years ago, I tried to grow out my nails in anticipation of a weekend when I planned on painting them. When they got to about 3/16 inch longer than normal, they drove me crazy, but I stuck it out and painted them. Now, I use fake nails with adhesive nail tabs. With them, I love the look but I am totally unable to do anything. I don't know how GG's do it.

Practice - my nails are usually just past my fingertips, everynow and they I'll use tips or glue ons for a big night. At this point I can type, use the cell phone, insert tiny posts into my (pierced) ears, and put on the catch. no biggie anymore

Chickhe
05-14-2013, 09:36 AM
1 - 3 mm works okay for either male or female presentation. The only one who said anything was my wife when I let them go to beyond that... Its pretty hard to grow them any longer, I always end up breaking one.

Loni
05-14-2013, 10:50 AM
sad my nails are not as long as i would like them to be.right now three on my right hand are just poking past the fingertips.and only the thumb on the left hand.
i would like them all to be a good 1/16- 1/8 in past the fingers. but they keep breaking and splitting.
i work on them most days (just got done filing them smooth again), time now for a new coating of the nail hardener stuff (like it really works) might as many coatings do help them grow better.
and only one gal has said anything in many years. asked if i had a manicure. told her i like to kep them looking good.

Jaymees22
05-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Hi, Not too long they seem to break easily. So I just try to keep them shaped and the same length. Jaymee

Cindy M
05-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Mine "were" about 1/8"+ till I broke one changing my wife's oil today. :(
Now they are all even and short again.

Emma Beth
05-14-2013, 03:48 PM
I've been trying to grow mine out. I was doing real good until I chipped my thumb on my right hand. So I filed them all down and started over.

For now, I'm just trying to get them to the tips of my fingers.

I'm not sure how long I would like them to be just yet.

ronny0
05-14-2013, 11:57 PM
A few years back when I was working in a call center my supervisor commented about my nails being to long. "I noticed you're having a bit of a problem with typing your notes lately. Perhaps you might want to shorten your finger nails." He was right. I had a french manicure done and they were much longer than I normally had them. I found it very difficult to type accurately. Lots of typos. I went back to the salon and had them shortened. After that my typing accuracy returned to normal. Long nails are nice and they looked pretty but nice and pretty don't always translate into functionality.

And I thought that's why they had a spelling checker!

Cheryl T
05-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Mine are about 1/8" past the fingertips and sometimes go to 1/4"...that's when I usually get comments.

Alison1842
05-15-2013, 02:36 PM
I have pretty much always had fingernails level with the ends of my fingers. But really in practice that's only around 1/8" of actual white nail for me, often a bit less. Due to what i do for a living they get used for scraping and pulling at all kinda things (in print a lot of sheets get stuck together, labels need pulling off, attaching etc there very much a tool) When broken - worn down its surprising just how quickly the ends of your fingers get sore.

Need to remember at the end of the day us humans (despite what we dress in) are just animals, nails on all species serve to protect the tips of the extremities and help with things, Like digging for rodents to grooming - opening food sources for primates. Hence to me at least nails are a lot more than just a decorative - annoyance to be chewed on! There useful. Coloured, there useful and fun :-)

Dianne S
05-20-2013, 09:04 PM
My nails are short. I like to play the piano for relaxation and long nails don't work so well with that. :(

I have one nail that keeps splitting, though, and I keep it painted with clear nail polish to try to strengthen it. I think a few people may have noticed, but no-one has commented.

heatherdress
05-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Dollar store fake nails - only $1 and can be reused a few times. Use fake nail glue and it takes maybe 10 seconds a nail. Easy to do and they look pretty good. When I want to remove them, just lift off at an edge and they pop off. There is some technique to learn. Might have to scrape off a bit of the nail glue if you use too much. Pretty easy to do.

Ceri Anne
05-21-2013, 12:48 AM
I work a technical and mechanical job, so maintaining them is a constant battle, but yes, I grow them out. I use clear nail hardener to keep the strength and finish looking good and nobody has said anything. I keep them about 1/16 of an inch past the point of contact with the finger to about the finger tip. I keep them well shaped and filed with a glass file. Any longer and they catch on things when working. Even now, typing, my finger nails are making contact with the keys........I love it.

Anna Abwaerts
05-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Most of the time I keep them/revert to short. I am good with nail file, cuticle remover and "buffing"... but when they are longer they still get damaged, look kind of yellowish (could fix that with nail color). My skin is oily and the same with hands... then I will go into frequent hand washing which in result will make my hands dry from soap and irritated.

Getting the nails shorter avoids all these problems. Nevertheless, even with short nails I do filing, watch the cuticles and "buff" every now and then.

Jamie001
05-21-2013, 11:54 AM
I keep my nails really short because I need the ability to type very fast.

Brooklyn
05-21-2013, 12:36 PM
I don't hear comments about my long nails with clear polish, but I hear lots of compliments and snickers with more eye-catching colors! The shaping and length of nail bed affects appearance greatly. "Squoval" seems to keep mine strong without making my hands look too boxy.

Jaylyn
05-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Need to remember at the end of the day us humans (despite what we dress in) are just animals, nails on all species serve to protect the tips of the extremities and help with things, Like digging for rodents to grooming - opening food sources for primates. Hence to me at least nails are a lot more than just a decorative - annoyance to be chewed on! There useful. Coloured, there useful and fun :-)

I love this Alison now I can grow mine out and tell every one I'm just trying to carry on the species and to survive...and yes colored nails the same as lips are useful and fun....lol
Jaylyn