PDA

View Full Version : Outed-sorta

Jannis
05-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Last week I had an unfortunate experience with dehydration that resulted in a brief hospitalization. In my weakened condition, the nurse helped undress me in the emergency room and removed my shoes and knee high nylon stockings to expose..my bright red painted toes. This, coupled with my hairless legs and shoulder length hair prompted a surprised look on her face. There were several other emergency room people in the room who also noticed. The nurse was very kind and said I would probably like to have hospital slippers on over my toes. She put them on and smiled at me and reassured me I was doing OK. I guess they have seen it all, but it really shook me for a brief instant. All is well now and my toes and hair are still the same.

calebsmithxd
05-15-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm glad to hear all is well! Being a professional, even if she did care, she left that at the door and just treated you normally. I hope this event helped build your confidence so there is at least a small upside to such a stressful experience.

Beverley Sims
05-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Remember what your mother said.
"Make sure you have clean underwear on in case you have an accident and have to go to hospital."

It still applies.

Barbra P
05-15-2013, 04:00 PM
About a year ago I went into the hospital on two occasions (cataract surgery) and both times my toenails were polished (a bright pink iirc) and while I’m sure that several of the Nurses, the Anesthesiologist, and the Surgeon saw my toes nothing was said and I didn’t detect any noticeable reaction from anyone in pre-op or post-op. While I was somewhat anesthetized while in the OR I was awake and aware of what was being said and I didn’t hear any reference to my painted toes there either.

I have visited my Doctors office on two occasions wearing sandals while my toes were polished and the only person that made a comment was my Doctor. On both occasions she complemented my color choice. I have also been about two-dozen times to my Therapist’s office both en femme and in drab, and in all but one visit my painted toes have been visible. Again the only person to make a comment was my Therapist and all of her comments have been complementary.

I wouldn’t give it another thought, medical professional have seen a lot more strange things than your experience.

Jamie001
05-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Barbra is correct. Painted toes are not a big deal anymore than tattoos or piercings because a lot of male are wearing colored nail polish now-a-days. Some of us here make it a big deal in our own minds. You probably would have received compliments on your red toenails if you would have left them exposed for everyone to see.

kimdl93
05-15-2013, 09:42 PM
You learned first hand what medical professionals always say...don't worry, we've seen it all before.

Pixiesmate
05-15-2013, 11:33 PM
The only comment I have had from a medical professional upon seeing my painted toes was "Wow, yours look better than mine". I would hope so, I had a pedi done the day before just because I knew they would be seen in pre and post op care...