PDA

View Full Version : two big steps

kimdl93
05-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Well, yesterday witnessed two personal milestones. I attended a meeting with at the office of a business associate en femme and a couple hours later I visited a friend at her house, en femme. Neither had any prior knowledge that I was transgender, and honestly, after days of mulling it over, I just decided to go dressed as I preferred, sent a text before my arrival briefly explaining and giving each of them the choice of opting out, so to speak.

It proved to be a non issue. The business associate, really also a friend, was incredibly welcoming and accepting. She works as director of a non profit that serves HIV and transgendered clients, so I had every reason to expect a tolerant attitude, and that proved to be the case. After an initial acknowledgement that "this is new", we settled into a hour long discussion of work, then just before I left we talked just abit about my status, relationship with my wife, and plans. One comment she made was that I certainly wasn't the first TG person who came out to her and wouldn't be the last.

I had planned to have lunch yesterday with a friend, but her work schedule got in the way. So, she texted and asked if I'd like to stop by her house for coffee instead. I called to say yes, but that I'd be dressed a little differently than usual. She said "are you wearing a tuxedo"? and I said, no, actually a white pencil skirt and a peach cotton top. She chuckled a bit and said "come on over!" So, we ended up spending five hours visiting.

Like the earlier meeting, there were a few minutes at first, spent on the obvious, but we settled back into a long conversation about family, relationships, home remodeling, and circled back to gender matters. I honestly believe that we are even closer friends than in the past....and she's offered to help my wife and I on a remodeling project this fall! We're meeting for lunch today, to pick up on the conversation.

Anyway, both "outings" involved a measure of risk, but calculated risk. And I'm very glad that I took the chance to be open with both of these wonderful people.

michelleddg
05-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Kim, pure awesomeness, so pleased for you! Hugs, Michelle

Kelley
05-16-2013, 09:27 AM
These are truly big steps. I hope you have continued sucssess in comming out.

Hugs Kellley

stefan37
05-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Isn't it a great feeling to go about your daily life as yourself without having to hide. I have found once people get over the initial shock if there is any life continues as normal in most cases. As long as you do not dwell on it or keep bringing it up. Some people will have an issue and that is on them.

Jaylyn
05-16-2013, 09:30 AM
sounds like a very eventful day and glad you came out. I haven't yet but those who have inspire me to also...Jaylyn

I Am Paula
05-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Every 'outing' is potentially frought with risks, be they non-acceptance, or accidentally telling a big mouth. I've outed myself to so many people over the years, that I'm pretty good at it. I usually politely, and tactfully, mention that it's good politics never to out someone else. I've been lucky so far, and never lost a TRUE friend. (lost two wives, but that's another story).
Glad it went so well for you.
I think you chose your victims wisely LOL.

Sabrina133
05-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Congratulations Hon, isn't it a great feeling to finally be yourself? I know it was for me when i came out.

Beverley Sims
05-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Kim,
I realize it is a big step for you and I am glad it is proceeding smoothly.
Yes it takes some careful thought to do what you are doing at the moment.
May you get away without a rocky ride.

Kate Simmons
05-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Sounds good to me Kim. Our life is what we make it really and it's all about choice. Usually with so called "real life" we make most of it up as we go along anyway. If our intentions are genuine, there are usually no issues generated.:)

JustWendy
05-16-2013, 11:31 AM
With such a wonderful wife and friends, you are destined to have many more wonderful days like this. Of course, soon they will no longer be milestones but just a natural engaging of friends. Of course, I still want to know what you wore to today's lunch :)

Wendy

Julie Denier
05-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Congrats! Wonderful to be accepted and embraced ;)

UNDERDRESSER
05-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Isn't it a great feeling to go about your daily life as yourself without having to hide. I have found once people get over the initial shock if there is any life continues as normal in most cases. As long as you do not dwell on it or keep bringing it up. Some people will have an issue and that is on them.And such a relief. It was almost surreal when i told my GF, when it became clear that we were on our way to being BF/GF.

I had worked up my nerve, told her honesty was important if this was going to work, then just blurted it out. The immediate reaction was stunning enough, "Oh, cool!" but the way the conversation carried on, just like before, but with the added subject of underwear choices........:)

ReineD
05-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Congratulations, Kim!

carhill2mn
05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
You are so fortunate to have such great friends!

Amy Fakley
05-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Wow, congratulations. That sounds like it was an intense decision!

Lorileah
05-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Good or you Kim. The world is open to you and each encounter just makes you stronger

kimdl93
05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks again everyone! It feels good. No buyers remorse, just a bit more freedom. Of course, though at some point one must just take a risk, I did choose my 'victims' carefully.

MysticLady
05-16-2013, 03:40 PM
That wonderful Kim. I'm very happy for you and glad things turned out good for you.

MsRenee
05-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Sounds like you have started a new chapter in your life.
Congraduations one the one of many more times going out.
It only gets easier the more you do it.
Hugs
Renee