PDA

View Full Version : Another therapist visit....

MissJoanne
05-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Oddly enough, I did much the same thing as Dreamer_grl today! I made an appointment to see a therapist I knew from some time ago, and had decided that I was going en femme (to this point, she knew nothing of Joanne). There's a little waiting area with four light switches - when you arrive, you operate the switch for whoever you're there to see, and that lets them know you're there. So, I flick the switch and sit down. A few seconds, Judy emerges and sees a woman in a blue skirt suit sitting there. I looked up and said "Hello Dr. Judy". She later told me that I almost had to pick her up off the floor when she realised who it was!

We had a lovely talk. She told me I looked lovely and commented on the fact that we were both in skirt suits and nylons (how often do you see two women together like that these days?) and even asked me my dress size!

Some topics we covered which may be of interest:

Some years ago, she testified in a custody case where the husband was a CD and the wife was trying to use this against him. Her view (which she expressed in the case) is that what we do is a hobby or recreation. Some men go fishing, some hunt, some dress. We do whatever we do to escape from various pressures. Thinking about it, every major dressing period has coincided with major stress, going right back to my first time at age 12 when my Dad had suffered a massive heart attack and was in danger of death.

She remarked on how much more serene and less tense I appeared to be as Joanne.

As a rule, we don't fit into the whole 'LGBT' scheme of things. We're different.

She asked me where I got my nylons and commented that it's so difficult to find them these days (I know, hun!). I put her on to a couple of ebay vendors I've been happy with. (She seemed to be hinting that she's a gartered stockings girl as well. I wonder.....) She was most impressed that my seams were straight!

In conclusion, I mentioned the difficulties of entering and exiting an SUV in a ladylike manner. Her tip: pivot on your rear end, keeping your legs together. It seems to work.

It was a great session. Tomorrow, on to San Diego.....

MysticLady
05-17-2013, 11:20 PM
That sounds like a wonderful meeting Joanne. Its so neat to hear of a GG carrying on like that with you. It sounds so good. Two girls talking about hosiery. That's Great. Keep it up Girl.

mikiSJ
05-18-2013, 02:10 AM
I went to my therapist dressed, for the first time, last Monday and got the same kind of support you received.

Some years ago, she testified in a custody case where the husband was a CD and the wife was trying to use this against him. Her view (which she expressed in the case) is that what we do is a hobby or recreation. Some men go fishing, some hunt, some dress. We do whatever we do to escape from various pressures. Thinking about it, every major dressing period has coincided with major stress, going right back to my first time at age 12 when my Dad had suffered a massive heart attack and was in danger of death.

I don't think many of us here, CDers, would necessarily agree with your therapists definition of CDing being a hobby. I believe she has really oversimplified a complex problem.

kimdl93
05-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Excellent step out into the world. And great advice on boarding and SUV. I don't disagree that many CDrs dress to relax, but I feel there's more beneath that for many of us. And I would submit that the relation to others in the LGBT community is mixed. Those of us who are transgendered fit in a bit easier, perhaps, than those who identify as occasional dressers.

Beverley Sims
05-18-2013, 10:43 PM
It must be therapy season....
That is good as you are getting professional guidance and support.

Johnna.James
05-18-2013, 11:49 PM
My therapist treats me the same way. She has also told me how much more serene and less tense I appeared to be as Johnna. Even commented on how different my two personalities are. I love my therapist and how much better she has made me feel about life and Johnna.

MissJoanne
05-19-2013, 01:00 PM
I don't think many of us here, CDers, would necessarily agree with your therapists definition of CDing being a hobby. I believe she has really oversimplified a complex problem.

Point taken, but I think what she was trying to say was purely in my personal context. I have no wish to "transition". I do wish to be Joanne from time to time and get a little sad when that time comes to an end. For others who wish to take it further, even to the point of reassignment, it's clearly different.

Excellent step out into the world. And great advice on boarding and SUV. I don't disagree that many CDrs dress to relax, but I feel there's more beneath that for many of us. And I would submit that the relation to others in the LGBT community is mixed. Those of us who are transgendered fit in a bit easier, perhaps, than those who identify as occasional dressers.

Some great points Kim. As I said above, I believe her take on things was sincerely based on my personal context.

For the LGBT reaction, what she said was echoed by a friend who is lesbian. Like you say, it may be different for TG as opposed to "recreational" CD.

Barbra P
05-19-2013, 01:33 PM
I have to sign-in and make a co-pay when I go to see my Therapist and then go sit in a small waiting area – nothing more than some chairs along the walls of a hall. Kelly, my Therapist, always opens the door and checks how I’m dressed and if she that I’m en femme she says something like “Hi Barbra, you can come in now.” She has said she doesn’t want to embarrass me in front of the other people in the waiting area by using my male name. She also let it slip that she likes to see the big smile I get when I hear my feminine name used.

I haven’t been to see her en femme yet this year, actually for about six months, and she has reminded me during the last two sessions that I’m free to come as Barbra any time I wish. She also commented that she occasion likes to talk to Barbra as opposed to my male self. I enjoy the sessions either way, but I have to admit there is something special talking to her when I’m Barbra.

She has told me that I seem more relaxed and exhibit less anxiety and depression when I’m Barbra and has even recommended that I see an endocrinologist and go on a low-dose estrogen program as she believes that I would be less depressed all of the time. I have BPH and there is a theory that the estrogen would help with that condition a well. I’d love to try it but my Wife is against it; she is against me developing breasts, which is a possibility one that I would definitely not be against.

MissJoanne
05-19-2013, 01:40 PM
There's a common theme emerging here. "Less stressed" "More relaxed" "Serene". None of which are bad things.

celeste26
05-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Bob Newhart and his 5 minute therapy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw Wish it was that easy.