PDA

View Full Version : Posing for your Photo Sessions

adrienner99
05-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Does anyone put much thought or practice into how you pose in your photo sessions? I look at a lot of red carpet pics and have noticed how many celebs cross their ankles, drop a shoulder, put hands on their hips, etc. Once in awhile they even twirl!

But so many of us look like we're being arrested, or have that frozen in the headlights look....I'd we'd all look better with a little thought in how to pose...

Michelle (Oz)
05-19-2013, 08:14 AM
What is it with cameras and CDers? Yep, guilty your honour and the tripod's in the trunk too. Looking over photos is an enjoyable way of reliving experiences and the better for working on more natural fem poses. So, it is fun to try new poses - and interests the passers by too.

Jocelyn Quivers
05-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Do I put much thought or practice? Yes, unfortunately I'm still stuck in the sitting down, at the bottom of my steps pose, which is where I've been frozen at for the past 3 years!

~Joanne~
05-19-2013, 09:26 AM
I put though into my poses. Probably more than I should lol I am always looking for some "different" rather than the same poses over and over but with a different outfit on. I also try to find better spots with better lighting too. It's often said that some of our poses are un natural but standing stiff as a board is also.

Kate Simmons
05-19-2013, 09:26 AM
I don't pose any special way when I take pics of myself, preferring to have a natural shot. All of my own avatar pics are done in ambient lighting with no touch ups. I do post other pics at times to get a sense of a new look. If you really want to see me emote and "vogue", however, you need to watch me dance at the club. Had fun last night for sure.:battingeyelashes::)

mikiSJ
05-19-2013, 09:32 AM
I don't think you need to practice, unless you are also behind the camera. Someone who has experience in portrait photography should be talented and patient enough to get you to contort into the best position to bring out the you in you!

LynnR
05-19-2013, 09:34 AM
When I had a makeover and photoshoot last week I was really lucky that the woman doing it was a very good photographer and expert at posing her subject. I learned loads and it became lots of fun trying out the different poses. I actually began to feel like a model. It meant I got some great shots, full of variety, and had a great time in the process.

Julie Denier
05-19-2013, 11:48 AM
I finally got a tripod so I'm getting better shots, but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my hands ;)

FoxxxyBri
05-19-2013, 12:00 PM
I want to work on doing different poses because it seems like once I break out the camera I do the same 5 or 6 poses I usually do. Maybe I should just look in magazines and copy other women's poses? It owuld be good practice.

Beverley Sims
05-19-2013, 12:33 PM
When striking a pose you really have to live the part.
It sounds ridiculous, it is like some of the eloquent poses in fashion magazines, they look good but when you try the pose it is difficult and definitely feels unnatural.

Deedee Skyblue
05-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Maybe I'll get in first this time - check out this link: http://digital-photography-school.com/21-sample-poses-photographing-female-models

Deedee

geri-tg.
05-19-2013, 12:39 PM
I sure try to pose and look natural at the same time. Sometimes it works but not always.

Lorileah
05-19-2013, 02:41 PM
when I was doing photo shoots it was like a game of Twister. Left elbow...ear, right ankle 90 degrees, head up chin out, tilt, smile, less teeth more dimples lean in, chest up, point that toe...no the other toe...

But then every picture looked better than the real me

Jaylyn
05-19-2013, 03:05 PM
It's hard for me to pose as I take my own pics which is quite obvious by looking. I have a small digital that has a ten second timer so have to snap run in heels and get posed. Don't know how many shots went off and caught my behind or me turning or didn't haven't the camera set straight.... Lol

Wildaboutheels
05-19-2013, 03:40 PM
The link that Deedee posted is VERY good.

Also, one of the very easiest eays to get better shots [IF your camera and/or software allow it] is to shoot video while you look at the camera and talk about some subject you enjoy talking about or doing and/or are quite knowledgable about. Don't try to sit statically while talking, just talk to the camera as it were a person.

Then you have to sift through the video to pull singles of course, but the pics are likely to be a lot better, and much more natural looking.

JaytoJillian
05-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Yes, I do put some thought into how I will pose--I work with a timer and I curse myself whenever I strike the same pose twice in a row. The "how to" link is VERY helpful.

marlenesexton
05-19-2013, 04:40 PM
The hardest part used to be hiding the remote. My Canon T2i has a remote and a delay along with the ability to take multiple shots. Like suggested above, you can move through different poses and let the camera shoot away, then pick the good ones. Digital "film" is free so you can take hundreds and then whittle them down to the handful that look good.

Michelle (Oz)
05-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Great reference Deedee ... thanks.

Emogene
05-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Doesn't hurt to be a professional before the cameras 24/7.

Not to mention the old adage of photographers, doesn't really apply anymore in the digital age but "film is my cheapest commodity". In otherwords, take dozens, hundreds of exposures. Cull through those and dispose of 99% of them.

Amazing how that one striking "pose" miraculously appears!

Just a thought.

Annaliese2010
05-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Don't have to 'think' about it when you're in the moment babe...just BE tha fame ('cause ya know ya Are, eh). :battingeyelashes: