PDA

View Full Version : Feeling the need to be out!

*Amelia*
05-21-2013, 01:57 AM
Okay, so gender therapy has been going well, and every time I am done with a session I literally have a smile on my face all day, which is a rare thing :) My therapist as also put me in contact with a Trans support group and I will be going to there next meeting in June. Possibly in 50/50 mode. I am so excited to meet people like me in real life.
So here's the thing, I kinda want to tell everyone. I know I can't right now, due to life in general at this time, but there is this urge to be out. I was wondering if anyone else has felt the same way. I have come out to two people in real life, but have started to put out feelers to some friends at work that could be accepting.
Also on an unrelated note, I finally got some make up again, and took some pictures, but think I might need a little encouragement to post. So girls, who wants to see the real Amelia?

Sephina
05-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Absolutely Amelia, although i get where your coming from the only thing i thought of doing was coming out as soon as i figured it out, and i was torn cause i was like ok i just had an epiphany about myself that id been living a lie for 28 years which was very liberating so i wanted to just tell everyone i knew, for the most part i did lol maybe not like i should have but i just threw it out there and a year later the responses have been mostly positive and accepting i even let some of my bosses know at work (preparing them for the inevitable, so it wasnt like one day show up in complete drag :D) but its depressing in a sense too cause its like i just want everyone to know so i can express myself but i feel trapped. so at work stress levels are higher but for the most part im free as a bird, high as a kite one of the best experiences in my life (overall)

Tracii G
05-21-2013, 02:06 AM
I would love to see a pic Amelia.

Rachelakld
05-21-2013, 02:44 AM
Hi yes would to see the real Amelia,
I thought about "comming out" as at the moment it's really just my family and 1 GG friend, but I can't figure out how it would empower their lives.
Until I figure out how it will make their lives better, they don't NEED to know.

Beverley Sims
05-21-2013, 02:49 AM
The real Amelia is you however you look.
You will improve with age and practice.
Going out to a support group is excitement in itself.
Just go and have a marvelous time.

Karen_K
05-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Yes, Amelia, I certainly know how you feel and I'm sure lots of others do to. Its perfectly natural to not want to hide all the time, especially when one has reached a new understanding. But whether/when to come out depends on your circumstances (transitioning or not, married/girlfriend or not) and I don't know yours. You are wise to take it slow.

It's unfortunate that being TG hasn't reached the level of acceptance as being gay yet. I look forward to the day when this isn't really a question anymore, when we can talk about it and not have it be remarkable.

Annette Todd
05-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Hi yes would to see the real Amelia,
I thought about "comming out" as at the moment it's really just my family and 1 GG friend, but I can't figure out how it would empower their lives.
Until I figure out how it will make their lives better, they don't NEED to know.

It's not about empowering others, but yourself...

Annette

*Amelia*
05-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Thanks Gals! You are truly an inspiration!

TeresaCD
05-22-2013, 06:40 AM
I am sad, Amelia, that there's a new, vibrant, exciting part of my life that I cannot share with others at this time.
A bit like Rachelakld, I cannot see how that would empower the significant others in my life (my wife knows though)
It is a real joy to share this with these wonderful people, that helps a lot.
And my first outing ever to a TG support/social group was astounding, that helped too..

Rhonda Darling
05-22-2013, 06:56 AM
Amelia:
By all means, post a few pictures. You're safe doing so here, and I expect that, like me, you'll find it liberating. Let us know if you want a critique, or not.

Congrats on your progress so far.

Best,
Rhonda

Bree Wagner
05-22-2013, 07:52 AM
I'd bet the urge to get out, be out, and stay out is pretty common around here! It's definitively is exciting to meet others this way and to share this part of your life.

We all have 'life' to deal with as well and all our circumstances are unique. It sure seems like you're dealing with everything in a very constructive and positive way. Good luck continuing to expand and explore this facet of yourself.

All the best,
Bree

*Amelia*
05-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks again girls! I did end up posting pics in another thread I started if you want to see. And feel free to critique, I have a lot to learn.

ReineD
05-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Do you want to be out to everyone? Because people will gossip.

Also, IMO it depends on whether you are TS or not. If you think that you will eventually transition, then obviously everyone will end up knowing anyway. But if you are wanting to strike a balance between the male and female presentations, then you need to know that people treat Transgenders differently than they do men who do not engage in cross-gender expression. Some of the people you will tell will not approve, others may think it humorous (out of a lack of understanding) and they will begin the gossip mill, others will not want to see you dressed nor do things with you when you are dressed. In all of these cases, the telling will eventually prove to be awkward.

So in my opinion, until you have determined that you are in fact transsexual and you will transition to living as a female full time, for now just relieve your need to interact with others as yourself by doing both, joining your support group and going out dressed in the next town over. Go shopping, go to restaurants, go to movies, start hanging out at a Starbucks regularly for example, and you will get to know people who will not know you in guy mode. After having done this regularly a few times per week and for at least one year, then you can re-examine whether or not you will want to go ahead and have almost everyone in your personal life know.

:2c: