PDA

View Full Version : Taking Photos

linda allen
05-28-2013, 06:44 AM
I bought a new laptop a year or so ago (Dell). It has a built in camera and software for taking photos and videos. It's intended as a "web cam". I fooled with it for a few minutes when I got it, then forgot about it.

The other day I said to myself "I ought to try that for photos of me dressed."

Well I did and it's great. Not high resolution (there might be a setting for that), but I can pose and see exactly what the photo will look like before I take it. And it's not a mirror, it's me as others see me. Since I have a wireless mouse, I can even step away from the computer and take full length shots.

If you have this on your computer, give it a try. You can buy computer cameras if you don't have one built in.

Beverley Sims
05-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Linda,
Using the camera as you do you get the correct perspective on any shot you set up.
Very handy.

Erica Marie
05-28-2013, 12:07 PM
So far I found using my digital camera on the tripod works best. I set the self timer and pose. It takes better pics and I can zoom for any angle type of pose.

Lynn Marie
05-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Digital cameras are quite inexpensive these days and take really outstanding pictures for their size and cost. If you feel you look good enough to publish pictures of yourself, then why wouldn't you want to use the best camera available for the job? Using low resolution phone cameras and computer cameras just seems counter productive. Of course, the very worst thing is the mirror picture with a phone camera.

Not being any kind of a natural beauty, I need all the help I can get. A digital camera with a timer and tripod can do wonders for an old broad.

JenniferR771
05-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Lynn is right. Cell phone cameras work...however...if there is no flash, they work better outside or in bright indoor light. Some have a self-timer; some have a self-timer ap. It is helpful if you can put your cell in a coffee mug and add a paper towel to steady it. Place it on a table or shelf and set the self-timer. Park it on the roof of your car, maybe.
If your camera cannot find a tall shelf, (or stepladder) then sit on your knees or on a low stool to bring your face into the frame.
And feel free to use the Windows photo correction applications or one of the several such programs available to crop and improve the resulting pictures.

Wildaboutheels
05-28-2013, 03:06 PM
A really simple solution is simply to put a decent sized mirror BEHIND your camera and adjust it so it aims to where your eyes will be when posing.

Also [generic] remotes will work for a # of cameras and cost just 3 BUCKS online.

And of course, IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF possible, turn that Dang on camera flash OFF! Or use fill in lights with it.

rachellegsep
05-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Even better is to connect the supplied monitor cable from the camera to a tv set up next to it. That way you can see yourself exactly as the camera does.

FeliCD
05-28-2013, 06:14 PM
a digital camera on self timer- mounted to a microphone stand with adjustable boom works well the adjustable boom allows you to capture some really great angles ;)

Karren H
05-28-2013, 06:25 PM
I love using my camera with tripod... fits in my purse and easy to set down for those candid photos.... I just wish it wasn't SO high res! Just brings out all the flaws... ALL plus some! lol I Think I'll give the camera on my net book a try... from a distance....

Cindy M
05-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Great ideas. I feel low tech. I just hand my iPhone to my Wife and she takes my picture. I like the tripod idea, but it's not practical out in the world. My favorite pictures are taken in stores and malls.

docrobbysherry
05-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Wow! The resolution is so bad, I can't even see your pics, Linda!

I have a camera on my computer and my phone. When I want really blurry pics, I hope I remember how to use them.

Andromeda
05-28-2013, 09:27 PM
I have used a camcorder from time to time, but, I cannot say that I was overly pleased with the results.

Jackie7
05-28-2013, 09:43 PM
whatever camera you are using, get out of the bedroom and into the outdoors, clouds or sun you will get great pix. I often shoot myself using a digital SLR on a tripod, my wife photos me using a phone camera,and whenever we are out together we hand the phone to somebody and ask them to snap us. Whatever, natural light and expensive camera or el-cheapo, we get great pix.

I've kept an archive of Jackie photos going back 15 years, to when I first began to get OK with my desire to dress and brought it out of the closet. I keep the hideous shots along with the ones that turned out great. I study them and look for how I can get a better photo next time. It is narcissisim no doubt but hurts no-one... I love my photo archive.

rachellegsep
05-29-2013, 01:11 AM
Brilliant idea Katniss. Perfect for getting angled downward shots without a helper behind the camera as it will prevent those "double bubble" - chin and tummy shots lol. The off camera monitor really comes into its own there. Only problem is with the timer as my camera doesn't have remote. I suppose I can always use the HD camcorder in snap shot mode. I will have to use fill lighting as the flash isn't as good. I must also investigate if the Hero 3 cam has remote capabilities.

linda allen
05-29-2013, 08:30 AM
I probably should have mentioned that I do have a couple of decent digital cameras with self timers and I'm a decent photographer. I'm also pretty good with photo editing software. I've taken hundreds of photos of myself dressed, both indoors and outdoors.

The advantage of the laptop is that I can see exactly what I look like to others and I can get my pose and expression exactly right before taking the photo. Somehow, looking at the computer screen rather than a mirror works much better for me. It's more like a tool for learning how to smile and hold my head than for final photos suitable for framing. And of course, they are already in the computer, there's no getting out the cable and downloading them.