PDA

View Full Version : Macho

Niya W
05-28-2013, 01:40 PM
I've been talking to a hand full of Cd's lately and they told me that they are amazed that at places like work people perceive them as macho or a mans mans.

Beverley Sims
05-28-2013, 01:58 PM
I really find that an interesting observation.

VictoriaPaul
05-28-2013, 02:26 PM
I've acted macho/mysogynistic towards women in the past, and I think I recently realized that it might have been because I was supressing my feminine side. Its similar to the gay homophobe, who acts that way to assure that people don't suspect he's a closeted homosexual.

RebeccaLynne
05-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Niya, I work in an incredibly macho environment. We're an unusually fiercely-independent group of individuals working together to transport goods across the country. You can probably guess what industry I'm referring to...

I'm known as a really hard worker who understands the chain of command and follows orders. Prior military. However, I'm not to be trifled with. I keep my mid-back length hair in a ponytail at work, and I'm one of a very few who expresses their individuality through hair length. Lots of tatoos and piercings are evident in the workforce. Seems to be a generational thing; I'm 59. We have long hair. Certainly a plus as regards my penchant for crosdressing! :heehee:

I believe I'm viewed as a thoughtful, sensitive person who values the rights of the individual to make their own choices regarding how they live their lives. TBS, I'm also nobody's "bitch". Draw a line in the sand, and I'll step over it.

Yeah, sometimes the "guy" has to take precedence in a macho work environment. Not my preferred role, but well within my capabilities.

'Course, I'd much rather be crossdressing... like I am right now! :battingeyelashes:

Sabrina133
05-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Its a great observation. One of the things that amazes me - and i was brought to this realization by my therapist - is that occupations traditionally seen as macho such as the military or big rig trucking attract an inordinate number of Crossdressers and TSs. It seems that we are attracted to those types of occupation as we try to escape our desire to be feminine. This would certainly be confirmed by the number of vets who identified them selves as such yesterday.

Bree

boink
05-28-2013, 04:24 PM
While people have definitely been surprised before when I've come out to them, one thing I've never been described as by anyone is "macho." I do think some CD's try to overcompensate for their femininity by playing up their "manliness" in public situations, but there are genuinely others who are very much dual-identified and like being both manly-men and femme-women. Whatever works for you.

Stephanie47
05-28-2013, 04:37 PM
I think this statement is a bunch of therapist psycho-babble. Did the therapist practice outside a military base or a truck stop? I would venture to say there has never been any scientific study done to support this claim. It sounds like the old crap about guys who wanted to become a nurse; The must be gay! Of course, it was totally OK for a guy to be a combat medic and get his ass shot off.

Its a great observation. One of the things that amazes me - and i was brought to this realization by my therapist - is that occupations traditionally seen as macho such as the military or big rig trucking attract an inordinate number of Crossdressers and TSs. It seems that we are attracted to those types of occupation as we try to escape our desire to be feminine. This would certainly be confirmed by the number of vets who identified them selves as such yesterday.

Bree

Jenniferathome
05-28-2013, 08:33 PM
I have always thought that was the norm. And not as a "cover" but because cross dressing and manliness are not related.

ActuallyMichaela
05-28-2013, 09:28 PM
I think that's interesting. I haven't really had the opportunity to socialize with any other CD's (beyond this forum) and that thought had never crossed my mind. I sort of assumed that CD's were more in touch with their feminine sides and therefore more femme in general, whether or not they are dressed. I certainly fit that description as I'm not even remotely a manly-man.

Rachelakld
05-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Being "two spirited" my man side is ex-military, does well in combat situations, but is a non-drinker as he is a fitness nut and intolerant. My girl side is compassionate, has empathy and very tolerant.
So we can be "hard core" either direction, or co-operatively middle of the road depending on the situation.
I have on occassions switched during an arguement from "hard core dad" to soft mum mode, confussed the hell out of me and my daughter