PDA

View Full Version : Legaly Female in Virginia!

josee
05-28-2013, 05:49 PM
I went to the Department of Motor Vehicles in VA Beach today and finally got my M changed to an F. So as far as the Commonwealth of Virginia is concerned I am no longer Male!

I am so happy right now. I never realized how much that one little letter would mean to my own self-image but soon as it comes in the mail with my new picture I will no longer be embarrassed to show my ID. :dance::eg::cheer::GD:

Kathryn Martin
05-28-2013, 05:51 PM
awesome, I cried when I got mine

josee
05-28-2013, 05:53 PM
When I actually see my new license with my new picture I don't see how I won't cry myself.

crystalann
05-28-2013, 06:06 PM
It's funny how the little things can mean the most :) Congratulations

groove67
05-28-2013, 06:23 PM
I am so happy for you . Marianne

arbon
05-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Congrats!! :) Its a big thing, it felt so good to finally get that

steftoday
05-28-2013, 08:00 PM
way to go josee! congrats!

Cindy M
05-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Congrats Josee. I know you are proud :)

S. Lisa Smith
05-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Very nice!! Good luck and I hope you never have to show it to a State Trooper. Drive safely!!!!!

josee
05-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Yea but if I did, it would feel better with my new one than my old one!

S. Lisa Smith
05-28-2013, 08:52 PM
There is that, of course...:)

Sephina
05-28-2013, 09:37 PM
congrats thats awesome

barbaraclothes
05-29-2013, 09:09 AM
It has to be a very exciting accomplishment:battingeyelashes:

Jonianne
05-29-2013, 04:39 PM
That's great Jessie!

Jorja
05-29-2013, 06:46 PM
I just saw this thread. Whoooo Hooooo, good for you josee!!! One more step completed.

josee
05-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks, ladies. Yea now the big reveal is what seems to be next on the agenda. Most of my family know about me. I just have to gather the guts to come out at work and go full time. Probably after my son's HS graduation on the 12th.

kimberly ann487
05-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Congrats, Josee, I'm looking forward to that step myself. Have you given any thought to a name change ?

josee
05-30-2013, 12:21 PM
I am planning to go with a feminized version of my actual name Jesse but may wait till our house is sold.

FurPus63
06-01-2013, 10:52 AM
WOW! You were able to do that pre-op? Here in Michigan we have to be post-op to have it done. I had my name legally changed and had a new license with my new name and new picture, but the little "M" remains. I cried when I got my new license with pic and new name. However; that technicality really bothers me and I'm still embarrassed to show my ID to strangers. I keep thinking, "I know there eyes are going straight to that 'M'." I recognize that might not always be the case, and most people look at the picture and that's convincing enough and don't even notice it; but I still think that way.

Congrats to you! Each step in transition is utterly amazing and feels oh so good!!!

Paulette

SilkenPrincess
06-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Virginia changed policy just last year and began allowing the gender marker to be changed while pre-op. You have to have a form, filled out by your therapist, sent to the medical officer for DMV in Richmond stating that female is your gender from now on and that the therapist sees no likelihood that your gender will revert later. Once that is done, the medical officer in Richmond will issue you a form that you take with you to the local DMV office where you process the request for gender marker change. They take a new pic and send you your new license in the mail in about a week.

SarahVA
06-05-2013, 01:57 PM
So awesome! Yo must be so happy...I can only dream of something like that.

Promethea
06-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Congratulations Josee! I can only imagine how happy you must be.

Now, if you allow me go to a bit off topic. Not being form the US, I don´t get why it would be the concern of the Department of Motor Vehicles to change you from M to F, unless you mean you sold your Mazda and bought a Ford. You are not a motor vehicle! :P Nah, really, does anyone know how that came to be? In every country I´ve lived in (Sweden, Spain, Argentina and Uruguay), there was a completely separate office to issue IDs, in no way related to vehicles of any kind (and we get IDs as babies).

Jonianne
06-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Here in the US, the drivers licence kinda just evolved into being the default national ID for most purposes. The original drivers licence was for commercial drivers only, untill it was necessary to have some sort of standards on existing roads and since Americans has always distrusted government, other Id's were never issued, so the drivers licence ended up being the ID. Especially since the identification has been standardized throughout the country (or at least is in most states).

Having a national ID has always been a hot topic, here. Individualism, independance and all.

Cindy J Angel
06-06-2013, 11:45 PM
I have look in to this for some time and in NC u can only have one ID so how do u. if u could explains that would help a lot for me I would love to have 1. it makes me nervous If u have to go when on the road woman / man room, kids don't went to go to jail if u get it. love cindy