PDA

View Full Version : Salesmanship at the garage sale

iGenny
05-29-2013, 05:48 PM
There is nothing like a garage sale for those of us on a budget, trying to discover our style, or both (me). I stopped by one this morning and was looking over a tank top when the lady of the house said, "that would look great on you."

My first reation was to say, "THANK-you" but instead I said, "gee, I hope not!" We chuckled at her joke, and she said she couldn't resist. I told her that my wife sends me to garage sales with a list when she has to work (my cover story, only used it a couple other times), and that I'd heard that joke a few times before, and we laughed again together at that.

Truth is, she was the first to make that comment. I'll have to wait a couple of days to see if she was right. (Yup, she made the sale!)

Tracii G
05-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Heck I would have owned the moment and said its soo cute I hope it does.

Leah Lynn
05-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Heck I would have owned the moment and said its soo cute I hope it does.

I'm sure you would!

Leah

Rogina B
05-29-2013, 08:42 PM
And I would have headed for the back of the garage and tried it on if I thought it was something I wanted. Life is way to short to be shy!

lingerieLiz
05-29-2013, 09:24 PM
These days I would have said, I hope so! I bet it looked great on you. Do you have any other tops your thinking of getting rid of?

Billie Jean
05-29-2013, 09:28 PM
I was at a yard sale once where they had 6 pair of Berkshire RHT stockings for sale. When the lady noticed me looking at them she asked if I was interested in them. I told her they would look great on my wife (had been divorced a couple years). She gave them to me. I think she knew they were for me as they were shoe size 9-10. I went straight to Walmart and bought a garter belt went home and got all dressed up then took photos. The photos were stored on my computer and my girl friend found them and deleted them telling me she would be the only one to wear a dress in our relationship. Billie Jean

Jilmac
05-29-2013, 09:55 PM
I have found many items at garage sales, and I've also heard that same comment from sellers and my comment back to them is, "yes I think it will look good, would you like to see it on me"? Some thought I was bluffing but others said they would love to see me in the item I bought.

Beverley Sims
05-29-2013, 10:05 PM
I have had the same interaction from other vendors in the same situation.
I go along with it and sometimes hold it againgt me for a look at.
I bought a wedding dress once and tried it on befor I bought it.
I needed it for a mock wedding gig I was doing.
I was able to get other items as well for others, bridesmaids dresses, mother of the bride outfit etc.
Saved me a lot of looking around. All I did then was find someone a suitable size to fit the clothes.

Darla Jean
05-29-2013, 10:13 PM
;I just had the same experience this week at Payless Shoes...the clerk came back to ask me if I needed assistance (in the 13's) and I told her I was trying on everything since I had such difficulty finding nice shoes...I had a pair of open back wedges and while I would have preferred a slingback, but her comments (Oh those would look nice on you with a bouncy summer skirt) brought me to the register in no time at all (with another pair as well). I love to shop in part because I love sharing my inner self with the sellers, clerks and those who man the garages....

iGenny
05-30-2013, 05:45 AM
I have found many items at garage sales, and I've also heard that same comment from sellers and my comment back to them is, "yes I think it will look good, would you like to see it on me"?

That's great! Maybe I'll get the chance to use that line.

Claire Cook
05-30-2013, 06:03 AM
I have found many items at garage sales, and I've also heard that same comment from sellers and my comment back to them is, "yes I think it will look good, would you like to see it on me"? Some thought I was bluffing but others said they would love to see me in the item I bought.

Y'know, it is much more fun to just come out and say things like this while shopping, at garage sales or otherwise. I get the same reactions. Why should we hide the fact that we are shopping for ourselves? As Darla Jean says, we might get some good suggestions.

Chalk it up to public education....

Lynn Marie
05-30-2013, 06:09 AM
It's taken me a couple of years to get comfortable with the boldness it takes to own up to the fact that I'm shopping for myself. Fear of ridicule and rejection are quite powerful. Just about all of us have been deathly afraid of being labeled as gay since junior high school. How's a guy ever going to attract a pretty girl if everyone thinks he's gay? It took me awhile to get past that nonsense.

BLUE ORCHID
05-30-2013, 07:11 AM
Hi Genny, When a cashier says something like that will look great on you,
I say I sure hope so because if it don't I'm going to return it tomorrow.

I was at WAL*MART the other day picking up a package of blonde hair die
for my wife and the guy at the cash register asked if it was for me I said
is that going to be a problem if so I'll put it back he said no.

I said that growing old was mandatory but going gray was optional .

The look on their face is priceless.

Tracii G
05-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Its always best to just go with it and be open and friendly and with out an ounce of shame.
What are they going to do anyway not sell you the item because you admitted it was for you?
Being scared to be honest is really kind of silly IMO.
Being open about it to a stranger is fun I love to see their reaction.

docrobbysherry
05-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Shopping for clothes at garage sales is a HUGE waste of time! Yes, I've found a few things at yard sales. But, I usually stopped to look at something else they were selling.

U could stop at nearly every local thrift store in the time it takes to drive around the neighborhood visiting yard sales and find 10 to 100 times more usable bargain clothing items!

RADER
05-30-2013, 10:50 AM
I have been to and have seen many Garage Sales; No body ever sells the Garage.... How Come?
Rader

Karren H
05-30-2013, 11:00 AM
All good experienced garage sale queens say that.... they want you to come back after 1pm when everything's half price! lol

Sabrina133
05-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Shopping for clothes at garage sales is a HUGE waste of time! Yes, I've found a few things at yard sales. But, I usually stopped to look at something else they were selling.

U could stop at nearly every local thrift store in the time it takes to drive around the neighborhood visiting yard sales and find 10 to 100 times more usable bargain clothing items!

But you can find great tools :)

Tracii G
05-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Lots of great stuff at garage sales tools,furniture etc clothes can be an iffy item but sometimes you find something nice.

Jaylyn
05-30-2013, 02:26 PM
I think it would depend on where the garage sale is at? In a smaller town I wouldn't even look at the item. Might get my wife to buy it for me. We have a secret code word when I see something I want for my dressing so people in our small community won't know a thing. At the larger towns around us at least 80 miles away I shop with my wife and I know when we go to Lane Bryant the SA girls there know that I buy my bras there also. My wife wears a 42 and I wear a 44. Once a new girl in the store asked my wife if she knew that she had two different sizes and my wife smiled and looked at me...Talking about giving away a secret.. but I wrote the check for it so the gal wasn't concerned any longer. I have went in and bought clothes there and a bra for me since, and they were very helpful. Maybe things in Texas are changing a little or they just want the sales. We only buy tools and etc but very rarely clothes at garage sales..

Stephanie47
05-30-2013, 02:35 PM
I think most people are going to see right through that ruse. It may work at the mall around Christmas and Valentine's Day. The rest of the year? Well, I guess a wife can have a birthday 365 days of the year. Maybe, the ruse would work around Halloween also.

lisalove
05-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Y'all need to hit the church garage sales. Lots of women,lots of ages, lots of sizes, lots of styles, and always always cheap prices all in one place.
At this time of year, lots of churches are having gargae sales, and many on the same weekends.
Just check your local Craigslist in the garage sale section. and plan your route.

BillieJoEllen
05-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Its probably been a good ten years since this happened to me but I was once asked to leave this woman's garage sale. She lost about thirty five dollars in sales. All she had for sale was many, many dresses (to include a few gowns) in size 20 and 22 (my size) and a lot of bras, slips and shapewear. That was about 90% of her inventory. The rest was household goods. She watched me for a few minutes and finally came up to me and said I was making her nervous and politely asked me to leave. I obliged her because she visibly was nervous. I certainly didn't want any trouble. It was like finally coming upon that long awaited windfall just to lose it in the end.