PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Cedar Rapids, IA

Erin Campbell
06-02-2013, 10:20 PM
I know it is probably a long shot but does anyone know if Cedar Rapids, Iowa is friendly to CDs? I will be visiting tomorrow night through the rest of the week on business, which of course just means I will be dressed up each evening. I wouldn't mind going out shopping or for a drink one of the night's I am there, so if anyone can offer any advice about Cedar Rapids, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Di
06-04-2013, 07:27 AM
I do know there is a Hamburger Marys there....or there was 2 yrs ago. Love that place. Enjoy

Kate's at home
06-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Cedar Rapids is fairly small and conservative (many insurance companies). Iowa City is just an hour (or less) south. Univ. of Iowa is there, and many describe as Iowa's cultural oasis amongst the corn and bean fields... Fairly open and seemingly tolerant, with many places to eat and shop.

Kate

Erin Campbell
06-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks, I did notice Iowa City isn't too far away, maybe I will head down there this week

docrobbysherry
06-04-2013, 09:57 PM
I know this: The USPS won't guarantee overnite service to Cedar Rapids------

boink
06-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Iowa resident here.

Haven't spent any time out and about in Cedar Rapids, but I would feel pretty safe about going out there, particularly for shopping. Iowa City is definitely queer friendly (and in general a very cool place), and pretty much all of the downtown is a safe bet for shopping/heading out for a drink. There's even a GLBTQ friendly club, Studio 13, if you're looking for later night drinking/dancing. There are plenty of conservatives in Iowa, but it's generally a pretty friendly/hospitable place and I wouldn't fear harassment too much. There are (albeit small) pride festivals in both Cedar Rapids/Iowa City, and Des Moines is holding its larger one next weekend.

It should be noted that a few places may be a little inaccessible or even closed if they are low lying because of flooding the state experienced these last couple of weeks.

If you want some more specific stuff on places feel free to message me.