PDA

View Full Version : A slice of the late 1960's--what was it like for you?

Cheryl Ann Owens
06-05-2013, 10:07 AM
I often reflect back to a time, probably 1968 when I was 15. I so wanted to go all out to CD but I was very limited. Yes I could put on a pair of my sister's panties and a slip, maybe a dress when I was home alone up to a couple hours after school. I remember studying the beautiful wigs in that thick Montgomery Ward catalog trying to figure out how I could safely order one. NOT! One nice highlight was the impending wedding of one sister. Mom was tailoring another sister's bridesmaids gown and needed me to put it on and stand on a stool so she could do the hem. I SO wanted to keep it on! LOL!

So pick a slice of your life (if you lived the era) and let's hear about it. Even if you weren't from the era, what was your experiences around those teen years?

Cheryl Ann :o

Sabrina133
06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
i "became aware" in the last 80s and 90s. I loved the make up and clothing that teen girls wore. Loved the big hair era. I think it was also when high heels returned ... loved those.

Connie D50
06-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I was 13 by then I knew i wanted to wear womens cloths I too would wear my sisters and moms cloths whenever left home alone however with 7 brothers and sisters it was hard.I would fake being sick have have a whole day of dress up fun. My poor little sister would get yelled at by my big sister for getting into her stuff. I also know i felt very alone in the world thinking why do I do this and I must be the only one. Thank goodness for the internet wish it was around in the 1950's.
Connie

docrobbysherry
06-05-2013, 10:42 AM
I got out of the army in 1968. And, my real life was just beginning. Before that, my life had been spent in school and avoiding the draft during the Viet Nam war. Which happened to me anyway!:straightface:

That was about 25 years before it ever occurred to me try any ladies things on. A pair of ladies jeans were my first!:eek:

Beverley Sims
06-05-2013, 10:52 AM
I still like the full skirts and petticoats that survive into square dancing today.

aprilgirl
06-05-2013, 10:53 AM
I was born in 62 and didn’t begin dressing until the early 70’s, but I do have some recollections from that era. I definitely had a curiosity when it came to feminine things, particularly around special dress occasions like Easter. The only time I remember tipping my hand was at my grandmother’s house where she had a tradition of fixing up my two older sister’s hair into ponytails with bows or ribbons. I had stood in line, impatiently awaiting my turn to sit in her lap when my father shot a stern look my way. Instantly I knew that it wasn’t going to be an option for me, so I left the room.

Jennifer in CO
06-05-2013, 11:02 AM
67 I had my "awakening" spent 3 weeks of that summer with an Aunt and 3 girl cousins, one was same age and about 3 weeks older. The very-long-story-very-short-version is story-like. Mom and dad were headed for a week in New York for their 15th anniversary. Dropped sis off at her friends and me with Aunt Dee and the girls. My suitcase stayed in the car. After the initial shock and complaining about having to wear "girls clothes", I was hooked. Heck, you should of seen the tan lines I had after 3 weeks of every afternoon in their pool. Aunt Dee was the one who named me (Jennifer).
Next extended time was 71. I spent the whole summer as Jennifer with my grand parents (another long story) including my first date and kiss. That night I wore a white with black trim vinyl minidress that had a matching black/white checkered pantie cover it was so short and a pair of white Go-Go boots. My Aunt, being a hairdresser, gave me a perm that was similar to what would become Farrah Fawcett's signature coif several years later. The summer of 71 was verry special...

Kate Simmons
06-05-2013, 11:14 AM
I was pretty girly in the early 60's and every Friday when my Mom took my Grandma to the store, I wore her clothes and makeup, etc. after I got home from school, so it wasn't too bad. It got a little more difficult after high school as I felt myself being pulled in two different directions. One way by male hormones and the other by wanting to look like a girl. When I got in the Army it was even more difficult but I still managed to pull it off sometimes when on weekend pass and what not.I also had it in the back of my mind I wanted to be a transvestite spy.Eventually I was able to be who I wanted when I wanted but my "roots" for "womanhood" is in the 1960's more or less.:)

Stephanie47
06-05-2013, 11:20 AM
The 1960's? The 1960's spanned 12 through 22. I had been trying on my mother's slips which is hung dry in the sole bathroom of the apartment. When I hit my teen years and the hormones started flowing I found myself trying on more of my mother's garments. I was able to wear her bras, girdle, awful looking panties, dresses and nylons. There was youthful sexual stimulation involved. I entered a period of self loathing. Of course, if you wore women's clothing back then, you were a "faggot, queer," as the 1960's terminology called you. It was a period in my life of total confusion. How could a guy lust after girls and women?

For a brief period of time I was "cured." I've read other posting where a CD-er has not dressed without any angst. My ass got drafted, trained, and sent to Nam, where I did what I had to do to survive, although I did end up with some body modifications, unlike the sisters on this site lust over. During that period I had absolutely no urges or desires of a sexual nature, let alone crossdress. I guess it was out of sight, out of mind. I figure it was just like that Navy Seal of yesterday's posting. When inserted into a total male environment with no contact with women, there is no stimulation to cross dress.

I guess, if one is heterosexual, being a cloistered monk would "cure" cross dressing.

Tracii G
06-05-2013, 11:23 AM
The 60's were fun I enjoyed that time.
In 68 my Mom bought a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T.Red with a black vinyl top white interior and white bumble bee stripes around the tail end.
440 cu in engine and 727 automatic.I was so lucky she let me drive it a lot and yes I burned the tires off it.She loved taking it out to the drag strip too.
She would make a few passes down the track then she would let me run the elimination rounds.

Jaymees22
06-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Where were I in 62? I had graduated HS and wasn't having much luck finding a job, but I did find my mother's blonde wig, pantyhose and simple black dress, WOW. I had time on my hands then and do now so I just had to dress again! Jaymee

LilSissyStevie
06-05-2013, 11:49 AM
In the late '60s there was not much opportunity for me to cross dress, so I fantasized a lot about either being magically transformed into a girl or forced feminization. I took advantage of the times to feminize my look as much as possible - long hair, earrings, love beads, flower patches on my jeans, etc. When some stupid redneck would ask me "are you a boy or are you a girl? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDpGsFI3WNg)" I took is as a compliment. I thought I must be gay. I took a lot of drugs to dull the pain. Things went downhill from there.

Lynn Marie
06-05-2013, 12:38 PM
The 60's? I was busy trying to prove my manhood, getting stoned, trying to be a hero, and getting laid. Not necessarily in that order. 1968? The Tet Offensive, Bobby Kennedy, Chicago riots, Martin Luther King. One of the ugliest years in American history. I was learning to Skydive in California. Life goes on.

Candice Mae
06-05-2013, 12:46 PM
The 60's? That's 20 years before I was born, the only way I experienced the 60's was through a text book.

Georgia_Maine
06-05-2013, 12:51 PM
1968? Let me think. Oh yes, 20 and an M-60 machine gun squad leader. Mostly wore olive drab and army green. Nothing girly. Not my most enjoyable year. Enough said.

Cheryl Ann Owens
06-05-2013, 03:17 PM
In 1968 I didn't see much of a future for myself to truly be who I am, have an accepting wife, plenty of resources, and the internet including this site today. Since I became a member here it has gotten better now being 60 years old. (Wish I was 20!)

I sweated out the draft lottery in '71 and '72 because I knew this girl would have never made the first week of basic training. Well, in retrospect, I suppose all of my life since then was meant to be. Someone watched over me and through all of the years and BS I'm happier than ever today.

Cheryl

Daryl
06-05-2013, 03:40 PM
In 1965 I got out of the USAF. I went back home to Iowa and worked for the railroad as a welder. In 66 my mom passed away and I went to Nebraska for awhile and then
on to California where my sister and her husband were living. I worked as a maintence mechanic in a rubber co for 5 years. In those days I really didn't think about dressing.
When I went back to Iowa in 71 I messed around a little bit with it mostly just wearing pantie hose or panties. After I got to Texas in 1990 that's when I really got into it.

CarolynO
06-05-2013, 03:55 PM
I was 12 in the spring of 1969.That's when my CD career really took off.And it was one of the hottest times of my cd'ing.Wore my sister's green capsleeve mini dress with white satin trim at the hem,neckline and sleeve.It was so unforgettable!!

Christie ann
06-05-2013, 03:59 PM
1968, I was 12 years old and like most was deeply into mom's closet ...and I thought I was putting everything away just perfectly. I would be the first one home from school, would dress with all the shades pulled down. Parents came home and always asked why I was pulling the shades. I never came up with a good answer.

CarolynO
06-05-2013, 03:59 PM
The 60's were fun I enjoyed that time.
In 68 my Mom bought a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T.Red with a black vinyl top white interior and white bumble bee stripes around the tail end.
440 cu in engine and 727 automatic.I was so lucky she let me drive it a lot and yes I burned the tires off it.She loved taking it out to the drag strip too.
She would make a few passes down the track then she would let me run the elimination rounds.

Traci,when you burned the tires off that Dodge Charger Was there a green Fastback Mustang trailing you?:D

NANNETTE
06-05-2013, 04:03 PM
The late sixties was a significant part of my crossdressing history. I remember being very envious of my female cousin who was five years older than me I was eight at the time. I noticed that my cousin began to wear tights and pretty clother and I longed to be like her. I was also jealous of the girls in my primary school class I wanted to much to be like them and chat about girly things. However it took another four years for me to don Womens clothes when I started wearing my Mothers tights and skirts at age twelve, which was another very important part of my C.D journey.

Jolene Robertson
06-05-2013, 04:15 PM
I was 13 and it was around the that I first raided my moms clothes. I was an only child and with both parents working... well you know. I would dance around the rec-room and listen to Jimi and the Airplane. That was also around the time I started taking an intrest in playing music. A great time to grow up!

If you can remember th 60s... were you really there?

Jolene

Angela Campbell
06-05-2013, 04:22 PM
I was 10 in 1968 and usually getting beat up for being a "sissy" or being made fun of because I couldn't play baseball or do all the things a boy is supposed to do. I wanted to cook, play with Barbie and sew.

CarolynO
06-05-2013, 04:42 PM
1968-remember RFK assassination like it was yesterday.1963-even though only 7 yrs old at at the time,remember watching Lee Harvey Oswald being questioned at the Dallas police station by reporters on our b/w tv so clearly like it was a few months ago.Summer of 69'-unforgettable.Remember watching the Apollo 11 moon landing live,hearing about the murder of Sharon Tate,Ted Kennedy's "adventure" at Chappaquiddick and Woodstock.

andrea lace
06-05-2013, 04:49 PM
I was born in 1971 so I missed them but so did my dear old mum who always says "if you can remember the 60s you weren't really there"

mikiSJ
06-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Vietnam and a bad first marriage. Put my early CDing on hiatus until the mid 70s.

weyburn
06-05-2013, 06:07 PM
In '68 I was 14 and I had a strong infatuation with breasts and wanting to get those pants off a girl but for a different reason and didn't cross my mind to wear them.Now I wear them so as Bob Dylan said "The times They are a Changin'"

Lorileah
06-05-2013, 06:18 PM
In 68 I was...just a youngster... OK I was 12 and still wishing I could wear what the girls were wearing. I had a "secret" stash of my moms cast offs. She is the one who put them in the back of my closet, I think she kinda knew.

ClaudineD
06-05-2013, 07:14 PM
1967, age 15, first time out and about. My aunt (very Bohemian and with money/kind of a contradiction) fully encouraged my feminine side. Simple outting attired in slacks/blouse with fully on lingerie and simple maryjanes for shoes. Into to NYC for a little fun with Aunt and my older sister. Will always cherish that special day and have not looked back......

Tara D. Rose
06-05-2013, 08:16 PM
I remember 1968 like it was yesterday when all my troubles seemed so far away, the "white" album was released, when RFK was shot,waking up on Christmas morning with the toy, "give a show" projector by Hasbro, and the sonic boom bazooka by Hasbro. Back when I used to talk about the very first Christmas when the tree was all silver, back when I crawled under the house after the blood beatings from my father,back when death was a better deal, back when Tara came into my life and whispered to me for escapism.
But I guess I was lucky, I sort of grew up , er normal, now I'm one of those cross dresser kind of people, but with all the pain of 1968, I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I still stand tall and proud. So many that grew up like me now lay in their graves.

Rachel Murphy
06-05-2013, 09:54 PM
'68? I was in Viet Nam. Khe Sanh till April then rice patties till December. USMC 0311.

5150 Girl
06-05-2013, 10:51 PM
In 68, I was busy getting ready to be born...

Barbara Maria
06-06-2013, 12:32 AM
The late 60s were a time of big transition for me.a At age 15,I had my first drink,cigarette,and experience with a girl all between September and Christmas of 69.Things got a little confusing after that,but at least I had just enough sense to say no to drugs,which were the big thing at the time. One of the few things I did like about the 60s were the womens styles,especially hair styles. But at that point in my life I could only be a girl in my fantasies.

Audrey34
06-06-2013, 01:04 AM
In 1969 I was 10 years old and no inkling whatsoever about crossdressing. I did like the dresses and tights that my sisters and the other neighborhood girls were wearing but it wasn't about wanting to wear the clothes. It was more admiration of how lovely the girls all looked. My coming of age was early to mid 1970s. And that's when the dressing up bug bit me!
-Audrey

noeleena
06-06-2013, 02:01 AM
Hi,

Age 21 was nearing the end of my apprenticship in the building trade, was two years in the cabinat makeing & french polihsing shop. then 4 1 / 2 in the building & joinery. 6 1 / 2 years apprenticship. quite enjoyed most of what i did & still do. timber was my thing. clothes held no interest to myself male or female so was shorts & shurts or tee tops, really did not like clothes yet had to wear something.

Over all i enjoyed my life then & my birthday party. that mum put on for myself, so yes it was good. some really good years,.

...noeleena...

DebbieL
06-06-2013, 03:01 AM
For me, 1966 to 1972 were a wonderful time, and a terrible time, at the same time. In 1966 I was 11 years old. I still didn't have testes, so I looked very feminine. I was the same dress size as my mother, so I could dress up in her clothes. She would even take me shopping and have me help her pick out clothes for her. She usually bought what I liked best. The big give-away, which I didn't realize at the time was that she bought a pair of Go-go boots. She couldn't actually wear them because her right ankle was the size of a grapefruit. She was buying clothes for ME. She would also tie her pantyhose in a loose knot, indicating that I could keep them if I wanted. More and more she was tossing them after one wear, which meant that they didn't have any runs. I did the laundry and washed/folded the clothes. Mom would also mark the clothes that "Didn't fit right anymore", which I could also keep.

At the same time, she didn't want to try and get me support for transition, because it was unknown in those days. The movie about Christine Jorgensen didn't come out until 1970, and Myra Breckenridge came out as a book in 1968, but the movie didn't come out until 1970. I think Mom read the book, maybe because she knew I was transgender.

In the 1960's the "therapy" accepted by most mental health professionals for transsexuals was electro-shock and lobotomy. Mom had first hand experience of this and would have done anything to keep me from having to go through that. Being inter-sexed may have also made her more curious about the book as well. Even I thought, and even hoped that I would never have balls. I even started having really severe cramps, followed by bloody bowels, almost like my body was trying to have periods. They were so painful that I usually work my parents up because I was screaming in pain. It took Darvon to be able to get through them until the laxatives took effect.

By the summer of 1967, they came down. I was very upset. I was still hoping for a miracle. My voice started dropping and I couldn't sing soprano anymore. I buried myself in technology - electronics, ham radio, rocketry, and chemistry. I avoided boys, because they were becoming much more violent. I'd stay in clubs until well after school let out, so I wouldn't get beat up on the way home.

When I was 13, I went on a youth group retreat, and rode with 2 other girls. We had so much fun together that I felt like one of the girls again. We did songs, giggled, and just had a wonderful time together. When we went swimming, they didn't want anything to do with me (because they wanted REAL BOYS). I went to the car, locked myself in, and went to sleep. It was July in New Mexico, with temperatures soaring to 100 degrees out side, and I was in a car that was sitting directly in the sun. I almost died of heat stroke.

That fall, my mom made me go out and socialize with kids my own age, for at least 1 hour a day. I couldn't do homework, ham radio, or read books until I did it. A neighbor boy invited me to his youth group functions. I was already a Christian (sprinkled, dunked, and saved). I finally got into a bible debate with the youth group pastor and ended up being literally thrown out of the group. The kids weren't even allowed to look at me, let alone speak to me. The choir teacher heard me yelling at them and convinced me to audition for her choir. She discovered that I had nearly a 3 octave range, from Low C to A above Middle C. She told me I was a Bass. I wanted to kill myself right then and there.

At this point, I turned to a rowdier group. At 13, I was smoking pot, getting drunk, and taking antihistamines, all at the same time. I started smoking a pipe (easier to switch to pot), and even made my own wine. I even had a still at home. The summer was really bad, and I really began to think I might be an addict. I also tried to kill myself a few times with drug overdoses.

In 9th grade, 1971, I started choir. It gave me a feeling of belonging. I ended up in a show choir as well. I loved the friendships, and loved having these new artistic friends. By February 1972, I had made All City choir and made friends with a bunch of kids from the inner city school. They invited me to some parties, then I invited them to party with some of my friends. I even had my first kiss. I was even invited to some "necking parties". My girlfriend was surprised that I could bring her to orgasm, but even more surprised that I was too ticklish to touch "down there". Eventually she started dating one of my friends, and she introduced me to several of her friends, who all wanted to date me at the same time. I guess that because I was "harmless", and gave a lot of pleasure, I was "safe" and could be shared. In many ways, I was "one of the girls again".

That summer, I got a job and was working a lot of double shifts. I passed out when I let out the dog. When the doctor told me not to drink for 48 hours before the test Monday morning, I thought "Better get really loaded Friday night". As a result, I was incorrectly diagnosed as epileptic (was actually drug detox). It meant I couldn't drive (I would have been the first of my friends to drive), swim (I could swim 100 meters under water), or fly (I was taking ground school and was in aviation club).

I turned to drugs again. I got more popular because when I got really loaded, in combination with my epilepsy drugs, I could match up the boys and girls at a party such that everybody had a good time. I usually blacked out and work up in the coat room, kneeling in front of the bed. Memory did eventually return as I let Debbie out. During the black-outs, Debbie took control, and she was a ****, giving lots orgasms to any girl who wore a skirt and heels to the party.

Debbie had a dangerous side too. She often tried to commit "suicide by Redneck", "suicide by biker", and like. She could be a real bitch and seemed to enjoy verbally castrating men publicly. The lesbian would come out.

Later, my Sophomore year, I did the musical, meeting others in the choirs, theater, and so on. I had studied people since 8th grade, and this made that study more organized and effective. Theater and choir activities also got me out of the drug scene.

Most of the seventies were something I was happy to forget. Fashion was terrible, girls wore "prison shirts" (blue denim), and blue jeans, and "Clutter Boots" (also known as "Waffle Stompers"). Politics was wierd, with Watergate, Ford, and Carter. And the economy was pretty bad as well.

Theater was not only an escape from reality, but I also found out that most of my male friends were gay. I found that I could act "Nellie" and people would accept me as another gay choir-boy. I never quite trusted them with Debbie, and I really wish I could have told them. There were times when all I could think about was how much I wanted to tell them about wanting to be a girl. Something told me that if I told them, they wouldn't want to be my friend anymore. When people would ask me if I was gay, I would laugh and say, "yes, I'm a Lesbian", which was actually true, but they always assumed I was joking with them. When I did show up with a girl-friend (from another school), they were in shock. Then they started talking with her and found out that we weren't "getting it on" and they decided that I probably was gay. I did take that girl to prom. I was a Junior and she was a Senior. After she graduated, she joined the army and I just hung out with the kids who thought I was gay and liked me for it.

From 9th grade to early 12th grade was a crazy roller coaster. There were periods, especially 16 and 17, when I was so suicidal that I would try to kill myself at least twice a week. On the other hand, when I was in a show, I was as happy as I could want to be.

Jodi
06-06-2013, 11:59 AM
In 1968, I was wearing an olive drab suit, wearing a steel pot, and carrying a rifle. Wasn't thinking anything about cd'ing, just thinking of a hundred ways of staying alive.

Jodi

kimdl93
06-06-2013, 01:55 PM
is this some sort of clever trick to get me to reveal my real age? Not gonna work!

Rikidee
06-06-2013, 07:20 PM
I Was From 6 To 16. I Was A Very Small Boy. Got Caught By Mom Wearing Her Swim SuiT. Got Threatened So I Hid Better. When Playing With My Brothers When Home Alone I Was always The Girl In Moms Clothes. Had A Chance To Visit An Older Female Cousin And Managed To Be Left Alone In Her House All Day. Talk About A Fox In A Henhouse!! Dressed All Day In Everything She Owned And It All Fit Perfectly. Panties, Bras, Blouses, Mini Skirts, Shorts, Shoes, Cheerleading Uniform My Oh My To Have Those Feelings Again! The Fear Of Being Caught, The Drive To Wear Everything. ThE Overwhelming FemiIinity. Mmmmm What Memories. Hugs Riki.

Ressie
06-06-2013, 07:40 PM
I often reflect back to a time, probably 1968 when I was 15. I so wanted to go all out to CD but I was very limited. Yes I could put on a pair of my sister's panties and a slip, maybe a dress when I was home alone up to a couple hours after school. I remember studying the beautiful wigs in that thick Montgomery Ward catalog trying to figure out how I could safely order one. NOT! One nice highlight was the impending wedding of one sister. Mom was tailoring another sister's bridesmaids gown and needed me to put it on and stand on a stool so she could do the hem. I SO wanted to keep it on! LOL!

So pick a slice of your life (if you lived the era) and let's hear about it. Even if you weren't from the era, what was your experiences around those teen years?

Cheryl Ann :o

We are very close to the same age. I loved the Psychedelic music that was out in '68! Garage Rock with special effects. I was a novice at getting into my mom and sister's clothes. It was exciting but I was so afraid of getting caught. There were panties, bras, slips and even wigs! I tried on a dress first around 1966. It was '69 or '70 when I told my mom I wish I were a girl.

Julie Gaum
06-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Ah, to be young again. In 1930, at 5, I had my first experience --- trying on my mom's bra when she left the Mt. Marcy Hotel room in Lake Placid. In 1937 put the black tights I wore in a school play into my locker instead of returning them --- felt so good. By 1941 wore all my mother's clothes and her fur coat to take a night ride in a family car (had my learner's permit) --- only time I was ever "out". By 1968 a whole life of experiences had gone by from a war, through college, to motion pictures in Mexico, to Canada, from coast to coast twice ---all the time taking notes (for future bio) and some of the time collecting and purging (3 or 4 times). By 1968 married and living in New Jersey with my stash in the front of my Volks bug as the engine was in the rear. And in all that time I knew I was some kind of a pervert and the only one like that in the world. Now, alone with a large wardrobe but with many maladies putting my CDing on hold until, I hope, will be able to enjoy them again. Ironic isn't it? So, getting off topic, enjoy while you have health and youth.
This OP just depresses me more, sorry.
Julie

Rachel Morley
06-06-2013, 08:40 PM
I don't have any specific memories of 1968 because I was only 5 years old, but about 4 or 5 years later was when I first started having the desire to get into the box that was in my Mom's closet that had some of her old clothes. I would try on the mini skirts, blouses and cardigans and then look at myself in the mirror .. all of course when I was alone in the house, which unfortunately was not that often.

Kristy 56
06-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Was 15,and would wear my sisters clothes any chance I got. Too bad she wasn't a cheerleader,because I wanted to try on one of those outfits in the worst way.

Ressie
06-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Ah, to be young again. In 1930, at 5, I had my first experience --- trying on my mom's bra when she left the Mt. Marcy Hotel room in Lake Placid. In 1937 put the black tights I wore in a school play into my locker instead of returning them --- felt so good. By 1941 wore all my mother's clothes and her fur coat to take a night ride in a family car (had my learner's permit) --- only time I was ever "out". By 1968 a whole life of experiences had gone by from a war, through college, to motion pictures in Mexico, to Canada, from coast to coast twice ---all the time taking notes (for future bio) and some of the time collecting and purging (3 or 4 times). By 1968 married and living in New Jersey with my stash in the front of my Volks bug as the engine was in the rear. And in all that time I knew I was some kind of a pervert and the only one like that in the world. Now, alone with a large wardrobe but with many maladies putting my CDing on hold until, I hope, will be able to enjoy them again. Ironic isn't it? So, getting off topic, enjoy while you have health and youth.
This OP just depresses me more, sorry.
Julie

Interesting and very touching bio Julie. Wishing you the best with your health.

ginafaye
07-02-2013, 01:22 AM
worried about the draft and all the boys coming home in a box...soon it would be my time to go

KatieV
07-02-2013, 12:29 PM
There were no crossdressers in the 60's - we were referred to as transvestites - ick. My playground was my sister's and mother's closets; I had long straight hair which was cool and in style as a guy and needless to say was otherwise perfect. Mini skirts were all the rage - I fondly remember Mary Quant! It was difficult to get out of the house in the middle of the night fully dressed but I did so, so many times. Wish I had then all the make-up and wardrobe skills I've acquired with time - so be it. If I could transport myself back to 1964, and date my theater teacher, I would! I think he may have guessed my inclination to all things girly...

Kay

Tess
07-02-2013, 08:31 PM
The late 60's isn't a time to look back to with fondness. Give me the Eisenhower 50's anytime. Anyway, in 1968 I'd been secretly dressing off and on for over 10 years. I was out of the Air Force with my first real civilian job and not much opportunity to dress. During a 3 week business trip I remember having fun styling my hair to look feminine. Had I known all the tricks I've learned since (many from this site) I would have been doing a lot more on those frequent business trips.

LindaC
07-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Remember it well. The bad part was, like others here, had to deal with the draft so I joined the Navy. The good part was being stationed in Hawaii.

Genny B
07-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Bodysuits with hip hugger bell bottom jeans....

MarcellaMcNul
07-02-2013, 11:36 PM
I was also 15 in '68. It was a real roller coaster ride. There were the wild fun times and also the bad...broken home, identity crisis, out of control behavior, downward spiral into substance abuse. The details are already spread across the posts before mine in this thread.

I just wanted to mention the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread.....Maidenform's " I Dreamed......" advertising campaign!

joanna marie
07-03-2013, 12:22 AM
1966 drivers license and a 1958 Chevy with a 283
1968 I was out of HS and enlisted in the Army
1969 I was 11B In Vietnam with the 1st Air Cav

Beverley Sims
07-03-2013, 02:30 AM
I remember a film....
"The last Picture Show", with great fondness.
It was made later and was set in a period a little later.
I used to be able to buy full skirts, bobby sox and full, frilly petticoats off the rack.

Eva Skarlatova
07-03-2013, 03:22 AM
Ladies, 60's is the time when I hadn't been even planned :battingeyelashes: But I love these times, all that I have seen on the films....It's so interesting to me reading your posts..What about crossdresing at 60's as a whole?

mariehart
07-03-2013, 07:19 AM
I was only nine in 1969. I do remember sitting up all night to watch the moon landings, seeing the Vietnam war on the news. Which I now realise some of you people were part of. A sobering thought.

But I hadn't much in the way crossdressing experiences. There were a couple of moments. Once my Mother made me wear one of my sister's panties going to school because all mine were dirty. I objected mainly because I was worried about somebody finding out. But my Mother just said no one will notice and no one did.
I do remember one interesting event. I went to my Mother and asked her a question. I have no idea what prompted it. I asked her if boys grew up to be women and girls to be men. She said yes. To this day I don't know if she misheard the question or simply gave a stupid answer to a stupid question. Every parent knows this situation. But I was happy with the answer and went away looking forward to growing up to be a woman. How disappointed am I?

I didn't begin crossdressing until I was about 12 years old. I never wore my Mother's clothes. I did wear panties into school and panti hose. I had a near miss though when I forgot it was gym day. But somehow I hid it. But from the beginning in the seventies. I tried to dress fully as a woman. I do remember at one time as a teenager being left alone in the house for a few days when I didn't want to go on holiday with the rest. I spent the whole time dressed. It was heaven. Never managed it since.

I did have a taste of the sixties lately. I was an extra in a TV series set in the sixties. At one point I was sitting on the sixties set surrounded by men and women in period clothes. I was really transported back in time. I really envied the women.

KellyM
07-03-2013, 03:14 PM
The 60's - High School & College. Didn't do much when I was in HS. Mom was a lot older and no really cool stuff. When I got my drivers license I was able to to shopping and bought some knee socks & tights. In college. i found a leotard someone left in a dryer at the laundromat. A little too small but really neat. Worked as a night guard at the local summer theater. Got to try on some nice stuff from the wardrobe room! Really didn't get to go out dressed until in the late 80's on some business trips.

ArleneRaquel
07-03-2013, 03:45 PM
The 1960's was my awakening. I bought my first cosmetics, during this decade, along with many female clothing item, especially lingerie. I also purchased my first wig and female eyewear during this great period of my wife, btw the glasses my have been purshased as late as 1970, but I believe it was either 1968 or 1969.

MssHyde
07-03-2013, 03:48 PM
I was 16 in 1968, rode my horse or was in the woods hunting almost every day.

bought my first car at 15 motorcycle at 16,

cross-dressed every chance I got.

my biggest fear was the draft, later I was drafted.

Sister Rachel
07-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Although I'd had some attempts at dressing throughout childhood, the thing that I can really place in the late '60s is being 11 or 12 ( so '68 or '69 ) and being in a play at school. A girl that I really fancied .. probably my first sexual crush, in fact, did my makeup. I wasn't playing a female part, but oh it was real pleasure having that lovely girl paint my face.:) .. she thought it was good fun,too :)

My first full-on bra and panties experience didn't happen until 1971.

Daryl
07-03-2013, 04:49 PM
I was also 15 in '68. It was a real roller coaster ride. There were the wild fun times and also the bad...broken home, identity crisis, out of control behavior, downward spiral into substance abuse. The details are already spread across the posts before mine in this thread.

I just wanted to mention the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread.....Maidenform's " I Dreamed......" advertising campaign!

How about another TV commercial. ( the Playtex Panty Girdle ) I think my mom had one or two. Tried them on but were to small on me.

Julie Bender
07-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Lol I was three in 1968

GeorgeA
07-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Where were I in 62? I had graduated HS and wasn't having much luck finding a job, but I did find my mother's blonde wig, pantyhose and simple black dress, WOW. I had time on my hands then and do now so I just had to dress again! Jaymee
Are you sure it was pantyhose? Not nylons? In 1962 pantyhose was sold as a novelty and not in common use.

Sally24
07-03-2013, 08:54 PM
In the late 60's early 70's my older sister was off to college and left behind a lot of her clothes. I remember one paper dress and some mini skirts that I tried on! Fell asleep wishing I was a girl.

MarinaKirax
07-03-2013, 10:22 PM
I was very young in 1968. But I do remember trying to steal individual pairs of my moms stockings and try them on in the locked bathroom. also remember her white GoGo boots and fishnets! But most of all I remember the Sears catalogue, and all the lingerie pages. The shapely hips, the girdles, and the full body shapewear. I had pictures that I placed in some books for later viewing. I never dreamed that I would own those same garments, and wear them, later in life.

Leah Lynn
07-03-2013, 11:09 PM
In '68 I was 17. I stole a Playtex "Living Bra". It died, though; I didn't know what to feed it.

(Tongue In Cheek!)

Leah

MysticLady
07-03-2013, 11:11 PM
:sad:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InRDF_0lfHk

Leah Lynn
07-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Ahhh, Mystic Lady, that brought back a ton of memories.

Leah

DebbieL
07-04-2013, 01:11 AM
My favorite time was more like from 1963 to 1967. This was when "Mod" became popular. Jackie Kennedy introduced the miniskirt, Nancy Sinatra introduce us to Go-Go boots (Which wasn't stripping in those days). It was a time when women really enjoyed expressing their femininity. Big hairdoos like the Beehive and the Bouffant. There were fishnet stockings, and sweater dresses made of cashmere that came down to mid-thigh. Acrylic was a popular fabric and was so thin that slips and panties almost felt like a wisp of air.

The uniforms on the star trek episodes were very similar to what women were actually wearing. Pantyhose didn't have any "panties", they were all sheer to the waist, which meant that the skirt could be remarkably short.

For men, the breakthrough in fashion was the back turtle-neck, made popular by the Beatles, the Nehru Jacket, and the bell bottom jeans. None of that fashion lasted long though. Most boys wore baggy blue jeans most of the time.

It all ended in about 1972, when women started wearing "clutter boots" also known as "waffle stompers", with blue denim work-shirts similar to those worn by prison chain-gangs, along with blue jeans.

Tess
07-04-2013, 01:09 PM
But most of all I remember the Sears catalogue, and all the lingerie pages. The shapely hips, the girdles, and the full body shapewear. I had pictures that I placed in some books for later viewing. I never dreamed that I would own those same garments, and wear them, later in life.

I think I had those pages memorized, imagining what it would be like wearing each item.

Miss Trudy
07-07-2013, 08:37 PM
I loved the time, the fashions, and my life back then! :) I graduated from high school in 1967 and remember what it was like, mini skirts were just coming in, go-go boots, pantyhose was just starting to gain acceptance. :daydreaming: To know then what I know now, I am sure my life would have been a lot different. It was a great era to grow up in from not only the stand point of the fashions but also the growing awareness of the younger generation. I became politically aware in that era and formed many of the beliefs I still hold today!

Now if I could have only marched in one of those Vietnam protest marches in hot pants, white go-go boots, and log platinum blonde hair! :heehee:

Tina B.
07-08-2013, 10:35 AM
68 was a very bad year for me, during the sixties I graduated from HS, joined the navy, got out just before Nam started up for the navy. Got married had a couple of kids. I didn't have much time or desire to dress that much during those years, although I did take It back up just enough in 68, to ruin a marriage that year. Spent the rest of the year depressed, and drunk.
Took a while to get over it, but found out the best years of my life didn't start until the seventies. That when I met my second wife who turned out was very willing to accept my being a Cross dresser.

GeorgeA
09-09-2013, 03:46 PM
The 1960s was when I moved on my own and was able to dress more frequently. It all began a decade earlier when I lived in one room with my mother. I was able to see her dress in the morning, even though she ordered me to turn around. It was exciting to see her hook up her garter belt or girdle and clip her nylons to it. Then she would put on her full slip and then her skirt and blouse. I often fantasised that I could dress like that too. That is the reason I began cross-dressing to this day. And that is the reason I love garters, nylons and slips.

Maria 60
09-09-2013, 07:21 PM
The slips, the slips, the slips. I loved seeing the lace of the slip peeking out of the bottom of a skirt, I loved wearing them what a feeling. Once I was with my aunt and she spilled something on her skirt and she pull her skirt down and removed her skirt leaving her wearing a beautiful beige slip. WOW! I almost had a heart attack, I still remember it like it was yesterday and I had a feeling my aunt knew I was enjoying it, she kept going out of her way to walk by me and always watching me. I believe that was 1968 or 1969.

NathalieX66
09-09-2013, 09:35 PM
I was born in 1966 (....yeah, I'm that old) , and I remember three specific things:

One, the July 19th, 1969 Apollo 11 landing on the moon. I was so excited that I built a lunar capsule cockpit out of cardboard, and pasted pieces of dials and buttons from a Sears catalog.

Two, The Vietnam War. I had a few family members in the war, one of them being a medevac helicopter pilot. I lived very close to Andrews Air Force Base and Fort Meade in Maryland, so I saw lots of fighter jets, helicopters, and military people.

Three , the Beatles movie Yellow Submarine. . I like cartoons, so this was pretty neat. I had a Beatles cartoon book, and a Monkees tambourine, which if I still had it, would probably be worth money. I also had a four foot long toy Boeing 727 in United Airlines graphics that was illuminated, made noise, and had articulating doors, including the rear door that had folding stairs. I am looking dearly for one of these today for my own momento.

Four, I'll add this one.....I saw the Shriner's Circus in Baltimore in 1969....not exactly Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey, but close.

That's my memory of the sixties.

lingerieLiz
09-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Ah loved the years. Out on my own after HS graduation. Rented a room from a woman who happened to be a beautician. She and her boyfriend encouraged my dressing. She did my wig and makeup for free. Didn't know I could go to jail for it. Small size (6) and girly looks made it easy for me to pass. Purchased lots of clothes. Spent a lot of time out and about. Several of the stores knew but loved selling me clothes.

Lingerie was special with the bras, panties, slips, and panty girdles or garter belt all matching. I had sets in pink, white, red, blue among mixed pieces. Loved wearing my brown A line skirt with yellow slip showing as I drove. Dresses were long in the early 60s and slips showing was quite common. Air conditioning was rare in cars and I loved to drive around with my skirt pulled up above my knees and nylon covered legs showing just below the pretty lace of the slip hem. More than one trucker let me know he liked it.

Barbara Dugan
09-09-2013, 09:42 PM
I was born on the Spring of 1969, no memories of the 60's

Eryn
09-09-2013, 10:21 PM
...my Mom bought a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T. Red with a black vinyl top...

Traci,when you burned the tires off that Dodge Charger Was there a green Fastback Mustang trailing you?:D

That Charger was black, and as I recall it did not end well! :)

I was 3-13 during the '60s and I was growing up on a rural and small-town environment. Only a few events remain in my memory, none of them really related to CDing. I remember the JFK assassination and the mourning afterward, but I really didn't understand it. I also remember the moon landing, which I did understand and which was very inspirational to me.

BillieJoEllen
09-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I loved the fashions of the 60s. Tight skirts were my favorite to wear. Bought my own wardrobe for the first time in the summer of 1966. Before that I used some old scraps of lingerie I found in an old clothes sack we had stored in a shed. My parents watched me very closely from 1963 on because of some police trouble I got into concerning CDing. It was always hard to hide things. After I started building my own wardrobe I found ways to hide my stuff. In 1968 I had to purge quite a few boxes of women's clothes because Uncle Sam sent me an invitation to vacation with him for three years. After I got out of the service I really had ample opportunity to CD and rebuild all that I had lost. However at that time fashions were changing and some of the things available didn't excite me that much. Tight skirts were no longer in fashion and would continue to be so for many years.

Georgina
09-11-2013, 05:14 PM
I enjoyed the sixties, school, sports etc. However my quest for female clothing was frustrated. I adored the fashions of the fifties and sixties and so wanted to have it all but I didn't have many chances to dress. I also couldn't afford to buy the clothes. I had to content myself with the catalogues of the day and dream of better times to come. Luckily my dreams came true.

APRIL0401
09-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Back in 1968 I was a sophomore in High School. I always had the desire to wear girl's clothes but never really had the opportunity.
I never was really home alone to try on my sister's dresses. I was fortunate to get a part time job after school cleaning classrooms
at a Catholic Grade School. My Uncle was a maintenance man for the Parish and always hired his nephews to clean the school. So every school day
me along with two of my cousins cleaned the classrooms. I found this closet with nothing but girl's uniforms. I guess parents donated the clothes after
their daughters outgrew them.
I was a small skinny kid and the clothes fit perfectly. There were white blouses, and plaid jumpers, sweaters, and knee socks. So after my cousins left and
the nuns were at the convent eating supper I would pick out a blouse, jumper, & knee socks go to the eight grade classroom and be a school girl for a few minutes.
It was great. I didn't know what crossdressing was back then and I thought I was the only boy in the world that like to wear girl's clothes.

sheilagirl
09-11-2013, 06:28 PM
I was ten years old. A hyper-active kid that got on everybody's nerves but who also was beginning to notice changes that were happening to me. I was playing a lot of "Doctor" with a neighbor girl and once in a while, I was still watching my mom get dressed and at the time all I could think about was how nice it must have felt to put on all the layers of clothing from slips, bras and girdles to garter belts, she donned. I was hooked and then I went outside and played Army or Cowboys and Indians with my friends...a very confusing time!