PDA

View Full Version : I was invited to ride a trans float in the LA Pride Parade. What would u do?

docrobbysherry
06-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I was invited to ride a trans float in the Los Angeles Pride parade this Sunday. At first, I was very excited! Sherry is pretty vain and a bit of an exhibitionist, after all.:battingeyelashes:

However, after thinking about it I'm not sure I should go. Sherry may NOT be the best person to represent our "community". With the prosthesis, masks and all.:eek:

If just one person thinks trans r all "freaks" or "pervs" after seeing Sherry out there, I'd rather she didn't go. :thumbsdn:

And, I'm NOT able to face a large crowd as just myself dressed. The reason why I wear masks is because I dislike the "man in a dress" look I present so much.:doh:

Honestly, if u were me, what would u do?:straightface:

Lorileah
06-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Sherry, go have fun...Pride isn't the best at representing many facets of the TG world so you won't be making anyone uncomfortable. This should be a mostly accepting crowd. :)

Jaylyn
06-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Just go with your heart I think you'd be a great representative, but as I said do what your heart tells ya then you will be happier and have no regrets.

kellycan27
06-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Lots of colorful folks attend Pride events.. Besides the political aspects.. there is some fun planned.. I seriously doubt that "our Sherry" would have a negative impact on the community. How many haters attend Pride events? Maybe a protestor or two.... Who cares? I say.. If you want to attend.... DO IT!

NV Susan
06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Get dressed and jump up on the float..

Beverley Sims
06-06-2013, 12:01 PM
I can agree with your sentiments but what if you worked on your face a little.
Familiarity does breed contempt and we all see our own bumps and warts.
I would go for heavy makeup plaster it on and you would probably look the part.
Have you been asked because of the way you normally present because if that is the case those that have asked may be disappointed.
I would ask and make every effort to appear in the parade.
As you appear here you are your own entity and have been to Hamburger Mary's without problem as well.

KellyJameson
06-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I would encourage you to go. The parade is about promoting tolerance for individual expression in all its diversity instead of living as clones of each other.

Hopefully it will not be to warm because that could be uncomfortable.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "T" community so some will take offence and others will be supportive but if you try to go through life never making waves you will never really live but always remain a shadow of yourself.

I know because I was an expert at living that way.

kimdl93
06-06-2013, 01:47 PM
I think you should do it. You represent a part of our community, and honestly, is any one of us an ideal representative of anything?

sandra-leigh
06-06-2013, 01:54 PM
I thought you were in Florida? My memory needs some concealer I guess!

Will you happen to be in LA anyhow? If not then be sure that you get a clear agreement about who will pay expenses for your travel and stay, then make your decision and go have fun.

Eryn
06-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Sherry's a SoCal girl! :)

I think that you should go for it. You'll be one of hundreds of people celebrating our diversity and you certainly represent one facet of that diversity. I bet that you'll have a lot of fun too!

Tracii G
06-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Go have fun Sherry

AllieSF
06-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Yes, you should definitely participate. I know I would be looking forward to reading you wonderful stories about the good and the bad.

Diana Bain
06-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Sherry...go, but go as the woman behind the mask...such a great opportunity to be you. It's a parade for who we are, a time to shine on who YOU are. Think about it....you'll be great!

Diane Smith
06-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Sounds like fun -- but be careful of the heat and sun. I've ridden (in drab) in parades before and wound up wringing wet without the extra burden of your layers of plastic. Bring plenty of water and stay hydrated.

- Diane

Promethea
06-06-2013, 08:47 PM
No one will judge you for the mask.

You know what they say: "whatever boats your float".

Rogina B
06-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Just do it! It is great fun and will become a great story when you come out to your grandkids!! lol You could get a pro to do your makeup and skip the mask..How do you eat a burger in a mask,anyway? lol

Di
06-06-2013, 09:36 PM
However, after thinking about it I'm not sure I should go. Sherry may NOT be the best person to represent our "community". With the prosthesis, masks and all.

Awwwwww hon I think you would represent our community with alot of grace and class:hugs:

Go and enjoy!!!

Jocelyn Quivers
06-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Do the parade Sherry!!!! A little pep talk for you. You are the Doc, the woman, the myth, the legend, the mask, Sherry!!!!!!!!!!:cheer:

Jilmac
06-06-2013, 10:34 PM
The Milwaukee Pride parade also occours this Sunday to wrap up the three day Pridefest celebration on our lakefront. Sherry, you may not wish to take part in your local parade for your obvious reasons, but if an invitation to ride a float and participate in our local parade, was ever extended to me, I would jump at the chance, and I would do it just as Jill presents herself in other public venues. I am intending to attend Pridefest at least one day (hopefully two) of the three day event.

heatherdress
06-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Doc - No one can "represent" our "community", whatever that means. At least one person is going to think you and everyone else is a "perv", mask or no mask.

You were invited. Your call. You always look great. Go and have fun.

ronny0
06-07-2013, 01:12 AM
You only live once, and if that is something you might want to do DO IT!
LA / California is about as open minded as you will ever find in the USA, so if you want to do it, do it.

jaye_cd
06-07-2013, 01:31 AM
I'd say it's time to start practicing that "look at me, I'm on a float" wave all the ladies have and go enjoy yourself!

jjjjohanne
06-07-2013, 03:00 AM
Have you been out in the sun in your mask for any significant length of time? You might want to consider a different mask, such as a Mardi Gras mask that just covers your eyes and nose. You might find it empowering to show your face in public en femme in such a public way. It is funny... You are about to wear women's wear on a float in a parade and you are worried about what you will put on your face! :)

Maria in heels
06-07-2013, 05:00 AM
I think that you should do it! To be offered a chance on the float...you have been acknowledged by the people and they have noticed you. Its time for Sherry to take her bow...

donnalee
06-07-2013, 05:31 AM
Go!
GO, ALREADY!!!!!!!!:cheer::cheer::cheer::Pullhair::gfi :

Kate Simmons
06-07-2013, 06:14 AM
If you are okay with it RS then it's up to you. Personally, I don't like fulfilling other peoples' agendas, especially if I don't agree how everything is put across.:)

Tina B.
06-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Sherry, I've seen plenty of photos from the LA pride parade over the years, I don't see where you have any thing to worry about, You see a little of everything there. And like Halloween, people are expected to get crazy and wear wild outfits and stuff, your problem will be to get noticed at all.
If you can go do it, and enjoy yourself, be comfortable, and not worry about your daughter finding out then why not!

Frédérique
06-07-2013, 08:13 AM
I was invited to ride a trans float in the LA Pride Parade. I'm NOT able to face a large crowd as just myself dressed. Honestly, if u were me, what would u do?

You know best. Does your sense of communal pride mean more than your need for privacy? If you’re not able to face a large crowd as Sherry, I think a parade is out of the question, but, since you asked, I get the feeling you’re somewhat conflicted. This may be a really GOOD thing for you…

No matter what you decide, I support YOU...:battingeyelashes:

docrobbysherry
06-08-2013, 12:09 PM
This site is called a "support" site, and after reading all your posts, I'd say it CERTAINLY IS THAT!:)

It's a natural tendancy when u age to stop trying new things. Just do those that you're comfortable with. Since I'm one of the oldest here, I know what that feels like! One thing that keeps me feeling young is my continuing interest in pushing myself into dressing activities that I'm NOT comfortable with!:eek:

I was recently informed masks r not welcome on the float. But, I've been noodling around the idea of attending the parade as myself dressed anyway. Way out of my comfort zone! I picked out 2 outfits I mite wear. One, is colorful, cute and sexy. The other, not so much. It may be better for me to sort of blend rather than stand out on the parade float?:straightface:

I had intended to try a "dress rehearsal" of these outfits with all accessories this afternoon after my daughter leaves. However, this morning I was informed that there's been a change in the car pool going to the parade. I would now have to drive to Hollywood and deal with the traffic and parking issues on my own. Talk about out of my comfort zone!:doh:

That was the straw that broke the camel's back! I'm out. Sorry if some of u r disappointed. So am I. :sad:

But, I have an entire summer of activities for Sherry and myself to plan for! So, onward and upward!:D

Di
06-08-2013, 12:54 PM
. I would now have to drive to Hollywood and deal with the traffic and parking issues on my own. Talk about out of my comfort zone!

Oh dear I would not want to do that either I would br FRAZZLED when I got there.
No Fun

RADER
06-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Sherry:
Go for it; however please wear some thing more than a Bikini.
Not that you do not look good in one, but here is your chance
to wear a real nice dress, or maybe a ball gown. Give them something
to talk about and be envious about. Specially the GG's seeing
you dressed to the 9"s and wish they could look as good.
I wish I could be in the crowd and take some pictures.
Rader

joanna4
06-09-2013, 03:11 AM
Oh my gosh Sherry, I'm so jealous.
Yes, I would do what I can to go which I deem is very possible. Go and have a great one.