PDA

View Full Version : Fred and Michelle in the same room together?

michelleddg
06-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Just thinking back on the old chestnut "have you ever seen Superman and Clark Kent in the same room together?" and continuing to wonder whether my own mama would recognize me dolled up. Three exhibits:

1) Michelle stopped in at Lowe's to buy a toilet seat. (I know, I really really need a life, but that's another story.) The sweet young thing at the cash register ma'amed me twice, so it is all good. Sadly, said toilet seat was defective, so two hours later Fred returned it and took a different one. Same cashier. No recognition, none.

2) Fred's been going to the same eyebrow threader every couple of months for a couple of years. So she recognizes me but the conversation does not get beyond the weather. Thought I'd pop in dolled up and ask for a brochure just to see what would happen. No recognition, none.

3) Fred went to the top makeup salon in Houston to make an appointment for a makeover (finished product in my profile photo, by the way). The next day, a day before my makeover, I popped in dolled up just to see what would happen. What happened was an instantaneous "HI MICHELLE, LOOKING FORWARD TO DOING YOUR MAKEOVER TOMORROW". "Aw, gee, it's not supposed to be that obvious." "It's your facial bone structure, Michelle, I studied it while you made your appointment." She then gave me a bunch of great tips on my makeup without bruising my ego. It is all good.

So, obvious to some, less obvious to others. Hugs, Michelle

Nikki A.
06-08-2013, 09:21 AM
I've had the same experience. People who didn't expect me dressed had a problem putting the two of us as one. A lot depends on the situation though, those who know I dress or know the male me and then see dressed have a better chance of recognizing me.

kimdl93
06-08-2013, 09:24 AM
So far I've been immediately recognizable to anyone who knew me en drabbe. Maybe it's my Nordic good looks showing through....I wish.

Jana
06-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Well, the fact that some of them did not say anything does not automatically mean they did not recognize you. Or did you really expect them to say something?

Kate Simmons
06-08-2013, 09:29 AM
My own therapist didn't recognize me years ago when I popped in for an appointment one time dressed without telling her that I would. She said you look completely different. When I'm getting dressed in front of my GF, she said everything is the same until I put on the wig. It makes me look like a totally different person. We all know with Clark and Superman, the glasses made all the difference.:heehee:Perception is everything it seems.:)

susan54
06-08-2013, 12:43 PM
I tried on a dress as a man in Monsoon in Edinburgh but decided against it. I went back the next day as Susan and tried it again, and took it to the till. So, said the SA, you changed you mind after yesterday?

I once went into my favourite boutique as a man (with male hat and sunglasses). As soon as I stepped in the door, the owner said "Hi Susan". I was so taken aback I didn't notice the reaction of the other customers!

S. Lisa Smith
06-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Your profile picture is wonderful!! You look lovely!!! Makeup artists are professionals and notice the details of your face and eyes.

Persephone
06-08-2013, 01:22 PM
In the CD/TG/TS world sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

The wildest is running into people when in the opposite mode and they still see you as who they know. You're like one smile or gesture from pure panic! That one is scary!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Beverley Sims
06-09-2013, 09:11 AM
I am rarely recognized as being in another mode when I go shopping to regular haunts. I do not spill the beans except to some I know will accept it.

zorianacd
06-17-2013, 12:58 PM
What's the name of this makeup salon in Houston? I'd be interested in seeing what magic they can work on me.

michelleddg
06-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi Zoe, that would be the Edward Sanchez Vanity Lounge on Kirby just south of Westheimer :-) Hugs, Michelle

zorianacd
06-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Which service did you have done? I am always looking for tips and techniques. I'm not bad at doing my own makeup, but I can always get better.

michelleddg
06-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Just the daytime makeover with Cori. She is a superb artiste, lots of fun, and kept up a running commentary throughout the makeover, so I got lots of useful tips as well as a superb makeover. Edward was attending to other customers but came over a few times to oooh and awww. He really is quite the celebrity in Houston's highest social circles so it was a gas to have my photo taken with him. (This all is in no way how I normally roll, it was a special treat to myself.) Hugs, Michelle

sandra-leigh
06-18-2013, 08:02 AM
I don't think I have ever not been recognized, no matter how I presented. It did take one woman as long as 2 seconds to mentally place me once, but I hadn't seen her for four months or more.

Jennifer in CO
06-18-2013, 08:13 AM
want some technical mumbo-jumbo for this?
perception and expectation .... Two things most people in the world rely on every moment. The sky is blue. If the sky is blue you are not expecting it to rain. If the sun is shining as well then you are truly amazed when it starts raining.
Your on the freeway in average but fast moving traffic. The cars in front of you begin to slow down so you begin to apply your brakes. You see nothing up ahead and are now caught off guard as traffic begins to suddenly stop.
Your standing at your checkout station doing your job of swiping items across a scanner, smiling with light interaction with customers to make them feel good. The woman standing in front of you is dressed nice, not doing anything inappropriate, you interact with her she smiles, reciprocates the interaction, and leaves.
In all these cases, there is perception of an situation and an expectation of an outcome. So long as you do nothing to "disturb" the lines of perception / expectation, a situation or event (you) will go unnoticed. This is why you can present as a woman and most people will not realize you are anything different.
Its why you can wear womans clothes that are not "feminine" while presenting as a male and go unnoticed. The person standing in front of them is wearing a dress and appears female so the expected gender of that person is female. Why should they question it. Same for the "guy" standing in front of them. They see "male" and do not categorize the clothes any different.
Our civilization used to have a 1.7 second "recognition" time factor. Meaning the average person took 1.7 seconds to do facial or other form of recognition glance to "recognize" you. That recognition glance is reported as down to .6 seconds ea- people are less likely to recognize you...or figure out that you aren't what you present, hence you "pass". Times have changed....