PDA

View Full Version : A Blind Date gone Bad

RADER
06-08-2013, 09:25 PM
I was asked to be the 4 th party to a blind date. Now my wife only passed
about 2 months ago, and I am not ready for this at this time.
But to appease this friend i agreed to go.
Some how the conservation came up about men wearing skirts.
I said I wish I could in the hot weather, I do not look all that well
in shorts and a knee length skirt might be better. After all they wear
them in Scotland.
Well the 70 year old lady that I was to be accompany just went crazy.
She said that no man worth anything would ever wear a skirt.
I said, be carefully what you say; There are some very rich men wearing skirts
in Scotland.
She said she would never be seen with one.
Is the thought of a man in a Skirt that bad, Or our some people just
closed minded.
I could not wait to get out of their.
Rader

NathalieX66
06-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Sorry to hear about that.
Did you warn her beforehand?

STACY B
06-08-2013, 09:44 PM
I guess a dress is out too ? Its all pants for you ,,,lol,,,

sandra-leigh
06-08-2013, 09:59 PM
She'd turn down a date with http://sattlers.org/mickey/culture/clothing/kilts/images/connery-1-th.jpg?

Genny B
06-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Men wear trousers, women wear pants. Men wear kilts, women wear skirts. Everyone knows that! LOL. Women were not allowed to wear kilts untill the 19th century. Time for some more changes around here!

giuseppina
06-08-2013, 10:14 PM
I was at a funeral last week. The family were military musicians and wore their uniforms.

At least one of Canada's regiments has a kilt as part of their male dress uniforms.

You're better off without her, Rader. Why should you put up with her BS?

Launa
06-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Sorry to hear about the passing of your wife.

There's nothing worse than being around a redneck woman or man.

ReineD
06-08-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry about your wife, Rader. :sad: :hugs:

And yes, she is close-minded. Not everyone is like that. In fact, I should think that a lot of people in their 70s would mellow out a bit. At that stage in life a lot of people finally give themselves permission to do and think as they damn well please.

Ressie
06-08-2013, 11:04 PM
I think this is good. Now you know that she isn't the person for you - and you won't waste more time dating her. Or you could wear a skirt next time just to freak her out :D

~Joanne~
06-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Is the thought of a man in a Skirt that bad, Or our some people just
closed minded.

People are just that closed minded. At least it was a blind date and you can walk away from it none the worse. If they call again and want you to double with this person again, show up in a skirt.

Sorry to hear about your wife :(

Rachel Morley
06-09-2013, 01:12 AM
I should think that a lot of people in their 70s would mellow out a bit.
That's exactly what I was thing too! I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's passing, Rader. It's must still hurt a lot and the last thing I would think you want to do right now is date anyone, never mind someone who is as closed minded as she seems to be.

jessicapaige
06-09-2013, 02:05 AM
I just love people that get ridiculously bent out of shape about such important things like apparel. She must have a very full life to get so angry over these things.

*sarcasm

biggirlsarah
06-09-2013, 02:16 AM
As someone who has a Scottish ancestry and very proud of it, I do wear the tartan. Please don't refer to it as a skirt it is a kilt, which comes from the verb to tuck up around one's body, to kilt a garment.

Tracii G
06-09-2013, 02:17 AM
Sorry about you wife Rader.
She sounds like a close minded old bird to me.
Wear a skirt next time and see what happens at least make her feel bad about what she said.Maybe your legs will look better than hers.

Kalista Jameson
06-09-2013, 02:37 AM
Hi Rader,

I echo everyone else. My deepest condolences on your wife.

Personally I would set up another date, dress up up like Dr. Frank and serenade her with "I'm just a sweet transvestite" and table dance for her.

Cheers,

Kalista

jaanine
06-09-2013, 02:52 AM

There's nothing worse than being around a redneck woman or man. unless that redneck is a cd like me lol

sandra-leigh
06-09-2013, 03:23 AM
At least one of Canada's regiments has a kilt as part of their male dress uniforms.

The Princess Light Brigade, Scottish Regiment. I could pull out the official numbers fairly easily. My father's father's father was a member of one of the Highland companies. I would need to check to see if my mother's father was the same regiment or the next one over in the same brigade. Historically the regiment was feared for being very effective in dangerous missions.

I think one of my great cousins was a long time officer in it: his photos imply that strongly but I have not asked him explicitly. One of my... oh, I don't know, second cousins once removed? is a civilian piper in a troop that provides ceremonial support (full dress) for the Scottish Regiment and linked activities in the Hamilton - Burlington area.

Yes, I'm entitled to wear a tartan... I'm just not sure which one :(

susan54
06-09-2013, 05:22 AM
I am Scottish - I live in Scotland - and I own a kilt. A kilt is a type of skirt - a kilted skirt - that is a male garment worn(usually) on formal occasions by some men in Scotland, including non-Scots. Increasingly women also wear kilted skirts - often in a cultural context - Highland dancing, Gaelic choirs, etc. But most women's kilts are cut differently to the extent that a man wearing a woman's kilt would be noticed as doing so. It would probably be assumed that this was cultural ignorance more then cross-dressing, though - but as I have never seen anyone do so - I don't know. I doubt if anyone in Scotland would be at all bothered by the views of an American redneck, even if she expressed them over here - every Scot has encountered tourists who show contempt for us and our culture - but they have always been vastly outnumbered by nice visitors - and it has to be said that many tourists (particularly Americans?) love to see men in kilts. Irnically I have not worn my kilt for some years purely because my legs are now kept hairless to look good in skirts worn with sheer tights and heels.

Kelly DeWinter
06-09-2013, 05:54 AM
............... Or our some people just closed minded.

Rader,

YES ! closed like Han Solo trapped in carbonite. Too many times people of are stuck in a time warp of their generation. Rader , I'm glad you are not as narrow minded as your blind date. I'm glad you are out there socializing , It's good for you and i'm sure your wife would approve and is smiling on you now.

Huggs

Kelly

Claire Cook
06-09-2013, 06:07 AM
It sounds like neither she nor you would want to do this again. I like Kelly's response; I'm sure you will proceed at your own pace.

kimdl93
06-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Some people are incredibly narrow minded. No woman worth anything would have that opinion!

nethiker55
06-09-2013, 06:44 AM
Hey Raider
Sorry to hear about your wife
Yes people are extremely closed minded. I wonder if she happened to be wearing pants? I would have asked her if she thinks it is okay for women to wear pants and maybe suggest she rethink her opinion.

KaraK
06-09-2013, 07:52 AM
People are really closed minded, scottish clans wear kilts, but some fashion designers like Marc Jacobs or Gaultier wear it or tried to impose skirt for men. One day maybe

funny thing: here in France there is a very old law forbidding women wearing pants haha. Nobody cares about it even if it was not repealed, just not applied ^^

Di
06-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Very sorry to hear about your wife.:hugs::hugs:

r some people just
closed minded.
Saddly some just are....:sad:

Tina B.
06-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Radar, so sorry for your loss. Even if it had of been a nice match, it's just to soon anyway, and at our age it will take a little looking to find that open mind, unfortunately we tend to get set in our ways as we age, not more likely to loosen up as someone put it.

Beverley Sims
06-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Rader,
I know that you know it is not all beer and skittles out there,
sorry about the date but maybe it was for the best.
There ar plenty more out there that will enjoy your company when you are ready for it.

CarlaWestin
06-09-2013, 08:36 AM
And, I'm sure she looked absolutely breathtaking in her overalls and ball cap.

RADER
06-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Thank all who responded; You are correct, some people will never "See the Light"
Some how I have lost her phone number and "E" mail address.
I am sure there are more fish in the sea, But for now, I just want to relax and
dress at home-----Chilling Out.
Her daughter, (Step Daughter to me) Has been great, calling to see if I am OK.
She does not know of my Dressing, so I have been reluctant to accept her offer
to help me rid the house of Clothes. I could not believe all the clothes she had,
Of coarse, I contributed to the pile my self.
Anytime I got some thing for me by mail order, I would get 2 for her.
Thanks to everyone here, You are the best.
Rader

kellycan27
06-09-2013, 06:27 PM
So sorry and sincere condolences on the loss of your wife. As for your blind date.. At least you won't have to see her again.

Jaylyn
06-09-2013, 07:07 PM

Watch out about a redneck there are a few of us on here..... I am saddened for the loss of your wife may your sorrow heal, and pain be gone with time although her memories will always be there. As for men wearing kilts I guess I should since most of my ancestors were from Scotland and many of my relatives have gone over there and toured the castle that they owned. When they came to America most settled in the Carolina's, when I visited them once they showed me a coat of arms and pictures of my heritage. Maybe that's where I got some of my desires to wear some sort of skirt or a kilt.

Amy Lynn3
06-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Rader, I'm sure time will heal your loss, but on topic of the lady who is so dead set against a guy in a dress and had it been me with her, rather than you, the conversation would have went like this. After her comment, I would have said I understand where you are coming from. It is the same with me. Every time I see a woman wearing pants it makes me sick and if you ever wear pants it will be the last time I see you. Maybe that would have allowed her to see how far offbase she was with her opinion, but I doubt it. I would love to have been a fly on the wall, had you told her something like that.

Kandy Barr
06-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Sorry about your loss Radar. Look at your blind dates bias opinion as her loss. She missed out in getting to know a wonderful person. I would be tempted to ask her out again and pick her up dressed to the nines, fem of course!!

donnalee
06-10-2013, 04:05 AM
Rader, I am so sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Two months. in my experience is much too soon. It has been 2 years for me and I'm still not ready, although I have tried.
The positive thing is at least you got out cheap; it cost you the price of a dinner or two and a few hours to find out. It could have been several years and a divorce if she had been smart enough to keep her mouth closed.
My thoughts are with you,
Donna

Jenny Gurl
06-10-2013, 05:12 AM
Rader, I'm sorry for your loss of your wife. I would consider myself lucky your date outed herself as completely closed minded on the first date, saves you the wasted time on a second. There are several deal breakers, and for someone who likes to dress on occasion this would be one. One could go to the trouble to try to educate someone like that, but it would likely end in futility. In a different setting in a similar conversation I would normally simulate the closed mindedness so the other person see's how it looks. As already posted, a reply of "That would be as ridiculous as a woman who thought it was alright to wear pants".

Again, sorry for your loss, it sounds like you really just need time to heal from losing your wife.

Jana
06-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Some people can be so... predictable? Sorry you had a bad experience, but on the same token, good riddance!

NicoleScott
06-11-2013, 05:33 PM

This attitude is just as bad as that of the woman referred to in the OP.

linda allen
06-12-2013, 09:43 AM
"Is the thought of a man in a Skirt that bad, Or our some people just
closed minded."

At your age you should already know the answer to that question. Look at the issue of gay and lesbian people. Look at the issue of race (in the USA). It takes generations for these attitudes to change.

linda allen
06-12-2013, 09:48 AM
......... There's nothing worse than being around a redneck woman or man.

Really? "Rednecks" are people just like you. Some are predudiced and some are not.

Some of my best friends and some of my wife's family would identify themselves as "rednecks". Used as you have used it here, it's a pretty offensive term. Certainly you can find a better term to express your feelings.

Ressie
06-12-2013, 10:44 AM
I would classify some of my friends as hillbillies rather than rednecks. Back in 1989 I interviewed high school students asking them for the definition of "redneck". I got some pretty funny answers.

Once upon a time I started writing a song entitled "Redneck Girl" but I never finished it. The inspiration came from a woman I saw at a gas station. I found her attractive even though she looked like she could probably kick my Asz. Is that what the blind date was like?