PDA

View Full Version : While we're on the subject, another nail polish ?

JennyCD
12-17-2005, 08:12 PM
My toenails are not smooth at all, even some fairly deep ridges. How does one get a nice smooth finish anyway?

DanaJ
12-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Jenny, you need to buff. A 3 or 4 way buffer will help a lot. They used to have this "ridge filler", but I have never seen a pro use that before.

Now, you will not like this, but here is my advice. Go get a professional pedicure. You can just get a male pedi, many men do that. You ca then talk to your nail tech about how to best care for your nails, and they can advise you about the ridges.

And besides - there is nothing like a total pedicure - they massage your feet and legs too. I have a thread in the Beauty Club with step-by-step photos showing what is done.

Aha! I found it! This was a long time ago, but here is the original thread:
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4844&highlight=pedicure

JennyCD
12-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Dana to the rescue again! Thanks Dana. Buff. Ok. I can learn to do that. (Kinda like sanding)

I'll look for a buffer as you mentioned.

Maybe some day I can get a pedicure done. Loved your virtual pedicure :)

TGMarla
12-17-2005, 08:41 PM
I was at the mall the other day, and an young Israeli woman sort of waylaid me as I passed a kiosk, asking me if I wanted to see something amazing. I wasn't in a hurry, and I was by myself....and she was really cute....so I said sure. She introduced herself as Yafit. (sounds like ya feet) She first asked me if I knew anything about the Dead Sea, and I told her that I did. She had a nicely packaged jug of sea salt from the Dead Sea. She had me rinse my hands, add a little of the salt, and rub them together. It was not at all unpleasant, and it acted as an aggressive exfoliant. She then rinsed my hands, which felt a little oily now, and put a spoonful out of the other jug, which had some kind of sugar in it. I rubbed them together again, and they suddenly felt a lot softer and less dry than they had in quite a while. When I rinsed and towelled my hands, they felt really great. Her aggressive and entertaining sales pitch made her a sale.

But she wasn't done. She had some kind of three sided board, which had an emory cloth on one side made with diamond dust or something, and a buffer on the other. My fingernails are kind of rough, and have lines in them where they crack and peel. Not alot, but you know....guy nails. Now Jenny...sorry to take so long to get to the point here...She took one of my fingers and aggressively did them with the emory cloth side of the doohicky. She then used the buffer-cloth side...just as aggressively... and said, "There. Now look at your nail." It was amazing. It looked as though someone had applied clear-coat to it. It's worn a bit by now, and looks more like my others, but for several days I had this one shiny nail. I didn't get this for myself because she wanted $15.00 for it, but I'm tempted to go back.

The gift pack I got is already wrapped up and under the tree, so I can't tell you the cosmetic company, but I think it's Dead Sea Cosmetics. I went online and looked, but I didn't see the buffer. I'll let you know if I break down and get it, though. My nails suck, and the toenails are no picnic either.

JennyCD
12-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Marla, that sounds great. The board sounds good, and the salt stuff sounds like what my poor hands need. No amount of lotion seems to help them.

DanaJ
12-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Great post Marla! Those buffers do work great, and put an incredible shine on your nails. But, those buffers can be bought for 10 for $15 (I know, I have them) and the other stuff you mentioned is called a "salt glow" (look at pic #8 in my link above).

BTW, any of you ladies that want to make a cheap alternative? Put some sugar in some vegetable or olive oil, and there you have it. The sugar will not dissolve in oil.....the sugar will act as an exfoliant, and the oil will help too.

Jeri Rene
12-17-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm so glad you asked this question Jenny. Now I know what I have been doing wrong.

Didn't know about a base coat.
Didn't know the proper way to clean up.

I love this place. I'm learning so much.

JennyCD
12-17-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm so glad you asked this question Jenny. Now I know what I have been doing wrong.

Didn't know about a base coat.
Didn't know the proper way to clean up.

I love this place. I'm learning so much.

I'm glad my stupidity is helpful to others. :p

VeronicaMoonlit
12-18-2005, 12:59 AM
I was at the mall the other day, and an young Israeli woman sort of waylaid me as I passed a kiosk, asking me if I wanted to see something amazing.

Dead Sea Cosmetics! mall kiosks during holiday season, first saw them last year.

But she wasn't done. She had some kind of three sided board, which had an emory cloth on one side made with diamond dust or something, and a buffer on the other. .She took one of my fingers and aggressively did them with the emory cloth side of the doohicky. She then used the buffer-cloth side...just as aggressively... and said, "There. Now look at your nail." It was amazing. It looked as though someone had applied clear-coat to it.

Yes, one got to me last year when I was out Christmas shopping en femme, asked me if they were my own nails (they were) and removed the polish on one and showed me what that buffer could do. I fell for the pitch and got a kit.

It's worn a bit by now, and looks more like my others, but for several days I had this one shiny nail. I didn't get this for myself because she wanted $15.00 for it, but I'm tempted to go back.

Yes the shine lasts a while. And those nice young ladies with the cute accents are good at breaking down one's sales resistance. :-)

Veronica

VeronicaMoonlit
12-18-2005, 01:02 AM
I'm glad my stupidity is helpful to others. :p

No, you're not stupid, you just haven't learned certain things. Nobody knows everything.

Veronica