PDA

View Full Version : We’re In the Style Section!

Rachel Ann
12-18-2005, 03:11 AM
On the front page of Section D of the Sunday (12/18/2005) San Francisco Chronicle, above the fold!

Although it’s really a PR piece for Danaë Doyle in the guise of a news article about Tgirls, it’s still well worth reading.

Those outside the circulation area can find the article at http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/

Here is the direct link to the page:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/18/LVGHAG70P31.DTL
Thank you, Dana. :angel: It wasn't online yet when I went to bed last night.

It looks like we’re respectable now! :D

Rachel xxx

DanaJ
12-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks Rachel, I've heard of this lady before, nice to see the mainstream exposure. Here is the direct link to the page:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/18/LVGHAG70P31.DTL

Wendy me
12-18-2005, 07:43 AM
veary cool thanks how abought that could we be the next in thingy????

Raychel
12-18-2005, 08:06 AM
What a great article. Thsi is exactly what we need to make the public aware of just how many of us there are.

MandyTS
12-18-2005, 10:47 AM
I really like her work, I was actually thinking about scheduling a few sessions, probably during spring break.

Mandy

Adrianne
12-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Very intresting, thanks for sharing Rachel.

Kim E
12-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Thank you, Rachel Ann, for sharing this with us. It was very interesting.

Kim

uknowhoo
12-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Until I arrived at this forum, I was more of a corset and 5" heels/yeah I'd have sex with me" kinda crossdresser. That has certainly moderated over the past 8 months, but hasn't necessarily disappeared. I found what Ms. Doyle had to say quite interesting as well, though perhaps a bit eletist. Good food for CD though nonetheless. Tammi

Deidra Cowen
12-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Very cool article! I would love to go get coached by her.

Julia Cross
12-18-2005, 12:26 PM
I would never say elitest, she spelled it out, she isn't interested in drag queens or fetishests, and they are the part of the transgendered community the public has the hardest time with. I think the articl was excellent and I wish it were republished in papers everywhere, it's an excellent article in breaking down stereotypes and educated the general public.

Julia

StephanieCD
12-18-2005, 01:51 PM
That's the kind of thing we need to see in the media... positive articles about us.

Got me thinking, though - I'm kind of a mixed fetishist/pretty girl... as I get more comfortable with my dressing it's less about the immediate gratification (sexual) and more about the feeling of being pretty. I think it's related to our acceptance of ourselves (at least me). The more I accept that I like to feel pretty and that it's not "bad" the less I need to punctuate it with a quick sexual release... ya know? Like, right now - I bought my first bra today! But I'm wearing it under my comfy boy jammies while hanging around the house. Now, if I had girlie jammies it might be different ;) Someday.

But anyway - yea, get this stuff out there in the media... someday it might be ok to be one of us - like when it started being politically correct to accept homosexuality. Baby steps...

Laura Jane
12-18-2005, 02:22 PM
So she weeds out transvestic fetishists (those who dress for sexual arousal) and those who cross-dress, and, to Doyle's eye, still look like men in dresses but look at themselves in the mirror and say, "Wow, I'd have sex with me." "They see this person in the mirror, and they're in love with her," she says, adding that a man's tendency to be sexually aroused by the image of himself as a woman is called autogynephilia.

Certainly food for thought, but perhaps its the place where most of us start from!

Rachel Ann
12-18-2005, 02:24 PM
I thought that one would get some interest! I think it’s a tremendous breakthrough for us to get that sort of positive treatment in the mainstream media.

Until I arrived at this forum, I was more of a corset and 5" heels/yeah I'd have sex with me" kinda crossdresser. That has certainly moderated over the past 8 months, but hasn't necessarily disappeared. I found what Ms. Doyle had to say quite interesting as well, though perhaps a bit elitist.

I would never say elitist, she spelled it out, she isn't interested in drag queens or fetishists, and they are the part of the transgendered community the public has the hardest time with.

Got me thinking, though - I'm kind of a mixed fetishist/pretty girl... as I get more comfortable with my dressing it's less about the immediate gratification (sexual) and more about the feeling of being pretty.
Food for thought, for sure!

As a rule, drag queens don’t identify as TG. There’s nothing wrong with them, they are just a different breed of cat with different motivations and modes of expression.

There is also nothing wrong with fetishism, or sexuality in general, but a lady keeps those issues private and they are just outside the scope of what Ms. Doyle is doing, in my opinion. She said it in a rather high-handed way, though.

My big epiphany came when I was on a medication that rendered me asexual for a few years. I had always yearned to be at least a part-time girl, but had always thought that I was just a pervert (not that that bothered me, either :p). When Rachel again came pounding on the door of Rick’s consciousness with no sexual agenda at all, I finally knew that there was more to it than that. :)

Now that I am secure in myself as a Tgirl and am off the medication, I expect sex to be part of my life again. But it wouldn’t be ladylike of me to say more. :rolleyes:

Santa Cruz isn't right next door to me, but it's close enough. When the weather gets a little better, I will surely try a session with Ms. Doyle.

... autogynephilia (autogynophilia?) ...
This is a favorite cop-out diagnosis used by many shrinks because DSM-IV says that there is no such thing as non-fetishistic crossdressing in non-op TG/TS people. (Actually, it doesn't recognize TG at all.)

Love

Rachel xxx