PDA

View Full Version : Acceptance

Tiffanyselkoe
06-13-2013, 01:02 PM
I am now out to my wife, my in laws, sisters, aunt, and 1 cousin. All my family has been 100 percent supportive which has been such a pleasant surprise to me. I had built up an image in my mind that everyone would look down on me but this has not happened once. The only thing is that everyone tells me I should have come out sooner and that if I am happy than that is all that matters. Based on this, I have not hidden any of the Tiffany part of me at home. We had my sister and her family visit and have now told her 3 children. My niece said "so?" My aunt had an interesting point in that she pointed out that it will not be her generation or even my own that changes the tide of acceptance for crossdressers but the young people of today. I do find that my children's generation seem a lot more accepting of those who are different and see this as a wonderful trend of accepting a person simply as a person rather than a label or someone to be looked down upon. Based on my own experiences out and about I have seen the fears I had were mainly those I made for myself and were, by and large, unfounded. I have also found the hardest person to gain acceptance from was myself. I hope everyone on this forum can share the same type of experiences I have and grow from meeting others like us. The road was bumpy at first but it sure is turning into a beautiful ride. Hugs!:battingeyelashes:

heatherdress
06-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Very gutsy, Tiffany. I am glad you are happy. You took a great risk and showed a lot of courage. The fact that everyone is so accepting is because of the person you are. Your spouse and your family must respect you, trust you and love you. Good for you. Good for them. You deserve the beautiful ride.

SharonDD
06-13-2013, 04:09 PM
That's wonderful that everyone is supportive. I wish my family was more support of me. The only one that is its my oldest son. The younger two won't talk to me. And the SO knows but wants nothing to do with it. I may be out but not being accepted for who you are by love one's hurts. My closet is bigger I guess. Glad your family loves you, best of luck.

ReineD
06-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Congratulations Tiffany, sounds like your family is awesome!

I have three sons from a previous marriage who are in their 20s. I'm afraid to tell them about my SO simply because he is not their dad. I can't help but feel that kids will accept it better in a parent, if the other parent is fine with it too. In my case, the ex would have a field day with this.

How old are your kids, and are they OK with bringing their friends over, or going out with you dressed? Does your wife go out with you in the mainstream (errands, regular restaurants, etc) or are your outings so far limited to TG safe places? Also, how often are you Tiffany compared to your male self at home?

Just trying to put this in perspective, thanks!

Erica2Sweet
06-13-2013, 04:26 PM
...Based on my own experiences out and about I have seen the fears I had were mainly those I made for myself and were, by and large, unfounded. I have also found the hardest person to gain acceptance from was myself...

This holds true for me as well. :)

nethiker55
06-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Congratulations Tiffany, you are very lucky to have so much support.

Tiffanyselkoe
06-13-2013, 05:42 PM
My kids are 18, 16, 13, 11, and 9. They have not been out in public with Tiffany yet as my wife and I mainly go to tg friendly places. I would say I am probably 50/50 at home. I have encouraged my wife to tell me when she wants the male me as she needs this also. I want to be there for her as much as she has been there for me and realize she needs her husband too.

ReineD
06-13-2013, 06:00 PM
I want to be there for her as much as she has been there for me and realize she needs her husband too.

It's really good to do this, my SO did the same. Are all your kids equally accepting, or are the girls better with it than are the boys, and are the younger ones more accepting than the older ones?

Congratulations on having such a nice family, BTW!

Rogina B
06-13-2013, 06:04 PM
I work and live away from home,I get there every 4 to 6 weeks for a weekend. I arrive in a dress,and leave in a dress as this is my lifestyle while away.I am only a guy when at the shipyard. Anyway,living like three girls in a house makes for interesting times.If I am tying something on the roof of the SUV at Home Depot with them,it is a girl doing that,and deliberately not taking a male approach to the everyday tasks of family living.It has taken some time,but they realize that my identity is important enough to me,that I have to live this way to be happy. Best of luck with such a large family as I only have an 11 yr old daughter..I can't imagine all those kids..Oh,and I know,you never liked sex! lol!!

Beverley Sims
06-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Tiffany,
you took it in your stride and it turned out well for you.
Do not get blinded by success there are still hurdles out there so go carefully.