PDA

View Full Version : Do you try to dress like a real woman?

FelicityMay
06-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Hey everybody!
I have heard the phrase "real women don't actually look like that" when talking about how cross dressers try to look. I think this comes from going over the top with insane makeup or outfits.

I am wondering if a lot of you dress to look like the average girl, or if you go all out to seem as feminine as possible? I see lots of pictures here where girls really dress themselves up to try to look pretty extreme, and I would call it over the top if you are trying to blend in, or is it really just the feel of being so feminine that you are going for?

I personally am pretty casual about dressing, and don't really shoot to be anything like a model. So what kind of look are you girls trying to get?

I Am Paula
06-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Since I present as a woman full time, I just dress like those around me. No...wait...I dress a whole lot better, but still in the capris and flats, or skinny jeans and modest heels category. About twice a year I get to wear an evening dress, sparkly heels, bolder makeup, and an updo, but only when everyone else is doing the glam.

Angela Campbell
06-16-2013, 05:28 PM
I usually dress as any other woman my age would at whatever place I am going. Never the sloppy look but like a middle aged middle class woman.

NathalieX66
06-16-2013, 05:32 PM
I always dress for the occasion.
For instance, for a fundraiser or some event I will doll up in a fancy dress. If I'm at a concert or a restaurant, I'll put on a stylish dress.
Lately I have been dressing down in public for errands like shopping at the supermarket or going into stores like Staples like I did yesterday wearing womens' knee length denim shorts, flip-flops with a purple pedicure, womens t-shirt, heart necklace, and earring studs, womens sunglasses and a shoulder handbag. This was actually the first time I went out with no makeup at all. I figure I'll let my shoulder length hair, electrolysis & laser hair removal do the talking (...which isn't really quite done yet, but a noticeable improvement). I don't think I look good as someone who is transitioning/transitioned, and that is fine with me. I won't win any beauty contests this way, but I'just glad to go out there and be me.
My avatar on the left is what you see is what you get.

Lynn Marie
06-16-2013, 05:33 PM
I've always liked the term classy old broad.

docrobbysherry
06-16-2013, 05:33 PM
It's often referred to here as, "dressing to blend", FM. Most closet dressers don't dress that way unless forced to go out dressed. I certainly don't anyway! Why dress like a wet mop when u wish to appear like the fashion model females in your imagination?

I particularly dislike looking in my mirror before going out in vanilla land dressed. The image there is NOT very sexy, shapely, or feminine.

Pretty much the OPPOSITE of everything Sherry stands for!

Kate Simmons
06-16-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm I'm en femme, I'm aiming for a pretty look. Nothing more or less Hon.:battingeyelashes::)

Abbygirl
06-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Since I don't go out dressed, I dress however the mood strikes me. Some nights it is my goal to look as "passable" as possible, but just as often I indulge one fantasy or another. Extreme can be fun!

Emma500
06-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Absolutely. It feels fantastic to be completely dressed in womens' clothes. Knowing that the clothes you are wearing are genuinely female clothing is incredibly exciting. Emma

marlenesexton
06-16-2013, 06:39 PM
I'd say I dress like a woman but dressy casual. Stuff you'd where to the office or out to a nice dinner. Dresses almost exclusively. Like Sherry said, why dress in plain old clothes when you can wear pretty dresses. Going out, however, I'd wear something more conservative. Leggings, flats, a blouse or a short dress, minimal makeup, etc. Makes you wonder how many crossdressers we walk right by because they dress to blend.

Bree Wagner
06-16-2013, 06:40 PM
I always dress for the occasion.

Agreed. While I might throw on a nice dress for an evening out you're just as likely to find me in a nice top and shorts visiting a museum, or a T-shirt and casual skirt while out shopping or eating.

There's always room for a little fun, but I try and fit in with the setting.

-Bree

Chardonnay Merlot
06-16-2013, 06:40 PM
I seek to strike a balance between blend-in and stand-out...Even in a normal "running errands sort of mode" I want to wear something that make me feel good and look good...The two do not need to be mutually exclusive

Princess Grandpa
06-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Having just begun dressing its a bit hard to say. I have several lovely pieces of lingerie to play with at home, as well as this little booty shorts thing. The outfit we are working on for our Vegas trip later this month will be much more age appropriate. If I'm going out the hot pink stockings will be replaced with something more appropriate to a lady my age.

carhill2mn
06-16-2013, 06:44 PM
I try my best to dress like a well-dressed woman at all times. This does not mean that I try to dress like most women as I do not like how most women dress these days. Even when dressing casually, I try to look nice.

Lucy_Bella
06-16-2013, 06:48 PM
I can honestly say that not all of women's clothing do anything for me.. I have no desire for the material unless it has some sort of effect of the material I do have the desire for..I have no desire for what it looks like ( cute outfit whats that ?) ,. Unless it creates the illusion of a better body or I can feel the feminine fit verses not feeling it at all I won't waste my time with it and soon throw it out.. Saying that can suggest it took me allot of time through trial and error finding what was best for me.. So yeah..I tend to be the sexy under garment kinda dresser I prefer trashy verses the classy look ..

joanna4
06-16-2013, 06:49 PM
I op for the extreme look, its more of a clubbing/night out look. I go out dressed like that sometimes, rarely do I see a GG dressed up like that but when I do, I remember them forever. So I'm standing out rather than blending in, I feel good to dress like that.

Jaylyn
06-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Since I don't go out I can say I dress to feel a need in me of being more feminine. I find that I enjoy the heavier makeup. The taller heels, and the sexier looking clothes but in answer I dress to please me and my inner self.

giuseppina
06-16-2013, 06:53 PM
If I went out, which I don't, it would be blending in and appropriate to the occasion. I'm not interested in attracting unwanted attention, and certainly not male suitors.

LilSissyStevie
06-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Real women don't dress like me and I don't dress like real women. I'm over the top and off the deep end.:D

Kandy Barr
06-16-2013, 07:13 PM
For me its about being an everyday woman. I dress casual when I'm doing things around the house, light make-up usually consists of lipstick, maybe a little eye shadow a little face powder and that's about it. Casual and comfortable skirt or shorts, and a comfortable top. Sometimes my breast forms, some times not as I have natural 'a' cup breast as it is. I just like to be a natural girl. Of course if I'm going out,( which is rarely )I dress up in my finest, which I do enjoy, just don't get out much.

Ressie
06-16-2013, 07:14 PM
I don't think I dress like real women. Like Docrobbysherry, I don't dress to go out in public and blend in. I like lingerie, skirts... you know, sexy stuff! My make up isn't outlandish though. Any pics I've posted such as my avatar show how I dress, and I'm certain the same goes for the rest of the girls here.

Dianne S
06-16-2013, 08:41 PM
I try to dress like a real woman... but a woman who likes dresses and skirts a lot. I wear women's jeans in male mode anyway, so if I'm dressing up, it has to be a dress or skirt.

Candice Mae
06-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Candice dresses like an average GG her age would, a top and jeans on most days and a skirt/shorts occasionally on hot days. she has dresses for all events, but doesn't wear them too much. She'll try them on when she gets them, then for pictures, and then the few occasions she feel like getting dolled up. Then there's the days that she doesn't even get out of her PJ's, or lounges around in a tank top and yoga pants.

Lots of variety.

Leah Lynn
06-16-2013, 09:14 PM
I do go out a lot and I dress to blend. However, I DO NOT dress to blend at Walmart. Some of those people are downright spooky! I do have some taste.

Dress for the occasion, but with taste.

Leah

Cindy M
06-16-2013, 09:23 PM
I try to blend in and not draw attention to myself. My Wife helps pick out my clothes when I shop and "tries" to tone down my appearance. Even if I'm not going out dressed on the weekends, I'm in 50/50 mode that always includes capri's or women's shorts. Everyday women just don't dress up enough for me. :)

Cindy

susiegrl19
06-16-2013, 09:25 PM
I do go out a lot and I dress to blend. However, I DO NOT dress to blend at Walmart. Some of those people are downright spooky! I do have some taste.

Dress for the occasion, but with taste.

Leah

I agree with Leah Lynn. I go out a lot also and always dress for the occasion and also with taste.

CherylFlint
06-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Dress for the occasion.
The mall may be jeans and a floppy blouse or sweatshirt.
The mall at lunch may be a business suit.
Evening a skirt and blouse.
It all depends on whatever it takes to “pass”, and when I say “pass”, it’s to fool the women that see you.
As far as “occasions” go, my favorite outfit is a Frederick’s of Hollywood leather look-alike mini skirt, seamed stockings, sheer blouse with lacy bra, kind of my flashing neon sign saying “EASY”. I wear it when I go looking for guys.

Kathi Lake
06-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Absotively!

At least, . . . as close as I can get.

I'm not a hyper-feminine dresser. I'm not a fetishistic dresser. I'm not a period dresser. And I'm sure not one that would be called anything but a boring, prudish, "normal" dresser.

I don't necessarily follow trends, knowing that as few times as I wear something, by the time I pull it out the second time, it would be sooooooo last month! :)

Basically, I have my own style. I've taken the professional look of my wife (who still takes my breath away!), and added some "fun" from my quirky (OK - unhinged) side.

:)

Kathi

mikiSJ
06-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Yes, and one of the nicest compliments I have received is the I "looked like a woman"!

FelicityMay
06-16-2013, 10:00 PM
I have really become a fan of just dressing casually in girly clothes all the time. sure the T shirts and jeans are a lot more slim fitted and sometimes shorter, but I like the way they look and feel. I don't feel the need to get in a dress every time I want to go out. It is fun to just enjoy the little things that GG's experience every day! I wear yoga pants around the house all the time and it is just kinda fun to feel cozy while expressing myself at the same time :)

I am pretty broke right now too, so I keep asking GG friends to give me their old clothes that they don't want any more, so I at least get to wear what a normal girl would!

rachaelsloane
06-16-2013, 10:03 PM
I think I have a pretty good sense of style and have received many compliments on my outfits and a few times have been asked where I bought the dress, skirt etc. It also helps that I use a minimal amount of makeup.

irishsissy
06-16-2013, 10:15 PM
You bet I do, That,s the hole idea for me. When I step out the door I want to look all of a girl I can. And I love being noticed. I have no idea what they are thinking. If it,s good then I,ve done my part well.

Karen_the_Cutie
06-16-2013, 10:21 PM
yup I do! I try and totally pass for a woman, so I try to look good, but tasteful as well. I don't dress overly sexy when out and about, as I'm still working on my voice, and like to avoid conversations with men. sometimes around the house I dress a little on the sexier side for fun though, I've gotten some beeps and hollered at (in a good way) by some guys driving past when I was walking through my yard in a mini skirt. :heehee:

Julie Denier
06-16-2013, 10:49 PM
I like to be pretty when I dress, and wear what I like to see women wearing: dresses, hosiery, heels. I know this isn't necessarily realistic for everyday wear, but I don't go out, so I wear what I like, and try to present a convincing image for myself ;)

EmilyPith
06-16-2013, 10:59 PM
I try to dress to look normal and natural, what would a 40 something woman wear... I just want to blend and not get a second look.
I was never one for the extreme and want to be able to look in the mirror and see Emily looking back, but she's a picky pain in the butt some days.

Dresses are nice, but shorts and a nice top work on most days when it's warm.

lingerieLiz
06-16-2013, 11:24 PM
When I first was out I dressed like the girls my age. Back then it was always a dress or skirt. Blue eye shadow days. The fun part was the lingerie then bra slip panty and long legged panty girdle with hose. Women and girls wore nice clothes often.

Today it is much more casual. I ware blouses or tops and shorts most of the time. Seldom a dress except long lounge wear for around the pool. I think that several of the women around the area don't even own a dress. Most of the men don't own suits. I don't really miss dresses.

PattiAllison
06-16-2013, 11:30 PM
I wear women's jeans while in male mode so when Patti goes out she usually wears a skirt and sometimes a dress. With the hot weather finally here, I love to feel a cooling breeze on my legs, even if I am wearing pantihose. Real women should enjoy their femininity as much as I do.

noeleena
06-17-2013, 02:56 AM
Hi,

Hmmm, okay well id have an issue with this, Oh dear .....iv tryed for a few years now & i took two years to learn makeup , clothes , so i could look normal or as said like .....a real woman...... yea okay ill wave that , any way i tryed did health & beauty with 6 other women had makeup done by two lovely makeup women did it all. Jos helped with its not right get it off & start again, or those clothes are .....ooops, gone.

Jos was with me when i brought my first wig, she thought it was good, & buying clothes, well i did anyway for her, yes iv a good eye for = that looks great...on you.... hey i did not say on me.

Now all , well , most anyway would look lovely on others okay... on myself , well okay ill concede yes, oh even the shoes, now whats left does not count, as you know, i should just stop now & say thats it, well thats how i feel anyway. oh yea i went with some of our people on saturday night Edwardian members 25 of us, yes was lovely nice food & a lovelyy time out , oh yes all dressed up. well i thought they were . well a picture was taken of myself & one of my friends said it looked lovely.

Oooops thats when i start getting embarrised real quick. so iv not seen it ...yet.... oh heck. So do i dress as a normal woman. i think so. do i look like a normal woman. now was there another ? ...no... okay no i dont look like a normal woman never will , i am one, just im not happy with my look . as they say you cant or ( wont ) make a silk purse out of a sow's ear , you know i think they be right,

...noeleena...

Vickie_CDTV
06-17-2013, 04:25 AM
I am regularly told real women don't wear pantyhose (that is a big one!), real women don't wear skirts and dresses everyday, real women don't wear a skirt suit to the mall, real women wear pants most of the time, etc. etc. That might all be true, "real women" might not wear nylons or whatever... but "I" do, "real women" might choose not to wear what I do, but "I" choose to because "I" like what I am wearing.

I dress first and foremost to please myself... if I am not pleased, why would I bother dressing up, I would end up feeling the same as I would dressed en drab (and being en drab I do not have to worry about being read, which restroom to use or being pulled over dressed and all that nonsense.)

Kathy Smith
06-17-2013, 04:41 AM
While I'm out I like to dress on the "pretty" side of blending in. I might, for example, wear a bit of "bling" while shopping - not a lot and not enough to draw attention to myself. The idea is to "pass" if I possibly can. I try to dress as other women would in the same surroundings, possibly jeans & a top under a jacket on a cool day. I'm not going to stand out as being the only woman in a dress if I can help it.

Indoors is something else. I like to experiment - mix & match whatever I have. Some of the combinations are vile. :)

happyallie
06-17-2013, 05:27 AM
Lately I've had the help of a GG. Her advice has been great. When I go out to the mall or anywhere I notice what the ladies are wearing. At my age ladies don't wear mini skirts, seamed stockings or 5 inch pumps. As much fun as that might be I'll leave that for another time.

Traceyjo
06-17-2013, 06:04 AM
Yes FelicityMay, dressing like a real woman is certainly very important to me. I want to look in the mirror or look at my photos and see a woman, not a crossdresser. That's when I am happy with myself. It's not that I need to go out in public and pass, although I'd love to. I only need to convince my self that I have become a woman, that there is nothing I see that is male.

BLUE ORCHID
06-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Hi Felicity May, I don't go out dressed but when I dress I like to look as feminine as possible
whether I'm dressed to the nines or just casual I want to see a lady looking back t me in the mirror
not just a guy with a dress and a wig in hi-heels.

linda allen
06-17-2013, 06:48 AM
I try to dress like a "real" woman my age (or a few years younger but that's still "old"). Of course I can't pull off some of the things they wear because I have a male body and some body hair. I have to conceal as much skin as possible.

What I don't do is dress like a hooker. No six inch heels, no short miniskirts, no overdone makeup, etc. I think that's the mistake many crossdressers make.

amander-
06-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Hi there one and all.
I do dress as a women 24/7 but i dress from the heart and i do pout makeup on and i dress for the day. I think that we or me shod dress to in press just you for get the rest if you fill happy you are happy.

danielle.cd
06-17-2013, 07:17 AM
i think i know what your getting at and kinda felt the same about what ur asking . women dont go to prom everyday so why r there so many crossdressers that feel the only way to feel female like is this extravagent dressing . yes it feels good an looks femanin but females dont get made up everyday they were confertable clothes most often and the ocatioanal dress up unless there in a buisness setting were they have too be in dressy clothes its just a bother . ive seen gorgeas women dress down seven out of ten days rather than be fashionable its really funny when u get down too it and study them . sometimes men just pick up on the really pretty side of women and dont focus on the hohum side i guess . kinde like when u get a tux and where it for a formal event then the next day your in lounge pants an a t shirt .

Kate Simmons
06-17-2013, 08:06 AM
We can dress in a plethora of ways both up and down but if we exude femininity and have confidence it will be evident regardless of how we dress Hon.:battingeyelashes::)

shawnsheila
06-17-2013, 10:53 AM
I tend to like the librarian/office gal look myself but I would love to go out in a nice evening dress someday. My main goal is to be passable and if I feel naughty i'll wear it under the "normal" gal clothes :) but I try not to stick out when I dress

Sabrina133
06-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Am not sure i fully understand what it means to "dress like a woman." Just kidding, i understand. I think for me, the key is to dress appropriately for the occasion/location. As an example, when SO and I go grocery shopping, it would be inappropriate to wear the same clothes i wear when i go clubbing - unless of course, am going grocery shopping at 2 in the morning on my way back from clubbing :battingeyelashes:

Now, when i do wear skirts and dresses, i also wear hose as i think it really enhances the formality of the clothing. Frankly, that is how the professional women in my practice dress.

If wearing jeans or leggings, i tend to wear open toed shoes so no hose. I do like the more exotic fabrics such as leather, PVC etc. When i wear those its also appropriate such as clubs where wearing that kind of clothing is appropriate.

wilt575
06-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Absolutely. It feels fantastic to be completely dressed in womens' clothes. Knowing that the clothes you are wearing are genuinely female clothing is incredibly exciting. Emma

EMMA I totally agree but mostly relaxed casual, jeans, capris, shorts with tops and tees etc. Not really in to dresses or over the top dressing just, blend in, casual female. I do get a lot of things at thrift stores, not just genuinely female clothes, but broken in by genuine female can be exciting also.

kimdl93
06-17-2013, 02:08 PM
I try as best I can to dress like a real woman, in styles and makeup that are appropriate for my age and the situation, while compensating for some masculine features and accentuating feminine features.

Suzanne F
06-17-2013, 02:24 PM
I agree that you have a great sense of style. I bought a new lace front wig Saturday that I hope will make me look more like you ! Hope you are doing well!
Suzanne

Jenn A116
06-17-2013, 04:04 PM
I understand what the OP is talking about here. My wife and I usually visit P-Town 2-3 times a year. You can easily spot the CD's because they are the ones wearing a skirt and heels. All the GG's are wearing shorts/capri's, a casual top and sneakers.

michelleddg
06-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Yes, I try for the real woman look. However, I'm a girly girl so it's always full on, not much for jeans and tshirt. Nails, makeup, hair done nice, well-coordinated, carefully chosen bling. I save the designer dress and high heels for nice restaurants, but am still probably in the top 10% of "scrubbed up" at the mall. Hugs, Michelle

renee elizabeth
06-17-2013, 04:42 PM
When i dress up i prefer to be totally glammed up. but sometimes i will dress casual, thats the fun part of being a woman. You can be the business professional. And you can also be a glamourous lady.

Jenni Yumiko
06-17-2013, 05:55 PM
I dress like most gg's I see around here, jeans n tshirt.
Comfy n easy.

TeresaCD
06-17-2013, 10:02 PM
For me, elegant, stylish, Jackie O ish. But suited to where I am going out (wow, I can say that now)
I want to look the best I can, so the girl in the mirror is as close as he one in the head

Avrial
06-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Very casual... I've always been the "jeans and a t-shirt" type. Today was a plain blue v-neck and blue/white plaid shorts.

MissTee
06-17-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm a moderate. Try to dress mainstream and comfortable. Certainly nothing that screams street walker. I do have a passion for the ultra feminine like flowey skirts, ruffles and lace on tunics, floral patterns, too cute shoes. Yet, even those have to be something I would be proud to show off to a semi-conservative crowd.

Beverley Sims
06-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Real women wear clothes, that's what I do.
I dress to blend and that usually means casual.
Dressy for an evening out.

DebbieL
06-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Hey everybody!
I have heard the phrase "real women don't actually look like that" when talking about how cross dressers try to look. I think this comes from going over the top with insane makeup or outfits.

Many of us go through a phase I call "Transgender Puberty". This is a period when we want to dress up and be as beautiful and sexy as we can possibly be, and as feminine as we can possibly be. This often includes high heels (3 inch or more), hosiery (usually stockings), skirt (mid-thigh or shorter), and sexy blouse, for me that was something in satin, and often two tight. Some even try to create cleavage using duct tape and wear low-cut blouses to show it off. This is very similar to the behavior of young girls during that stage of their lives when their breasts are first beginning to grow. They see singers, movie stars, and models and want to dress like them. They don't yet understand that some of these outfits are designed to be worn at a special event, such as an award show, premier, or a night-club. Usually, by the time they are 14-15, they divide into the "party girls" who go for the whole scene, including sex for drugs and lots of parties. Often, they dress extra sexy to recruit more sexy girls and rich guys to the parties.

Cross-dressers, especially those who don't go out in public, often never get past that stage.

I am wondering if a lot of you dress to look like the average girl, or if you go all out to seem as feminine as possible? I see lots of pictures here where girls really dress themselves up to try to look pretty extreme, and I would call it over the top if you are trying to blend in, or is it really just the feel of being so feminine that you are going for?

Transsexuals who are considering transition often do a lot of "growing up" very quickly. Part of the transition process is "Real Life Experience" also known as RLE. One learns very quickly that dressing too well tends to cause both women and men to scrutinize you more carefully than they normally would. You also learn that 3 inch heels are sexy - for about 3 hours. Spending a whole day in them several days a week can be downright painful. If we are taller, the heels then make us really stand out.

We begin to "dress to blend", opting for styles that are more like other women our age, weight, and height would wear. In my case, my wife actually told me to "stop dressing like a ****, dress like a real girl, and we can go out together more often". I let her coach me in my shopping, and began to buy more modest outfits, wearing camisoles with those v-neck tops, wearing women's slacks, longer shorts, and saving the skirts for special occasions such as parties or dances.

Within weeks after taking this advice, I found that I was able to pass much more easily, often being completely unnoticed as anything other than a middle-aged woman shopping in a mall. I began wearing more of the women's clothing in boy mode, including pants, shoes with 2 inch chunk heels, and even women's jackets, usually after work. After "Flying Pretty" a few times and passing OK, I would just ditch my baggy man's shirt after work, and put on a pair of earrings.

Eventually, the lines became so blurry that I would go to the airport dressed for comfort, wearing a camisole and jacket, with hair I started growing out (I agreed to have it shaved for Saint Baldrick's and donate the hair to locks of love if my wife raises at least $3000 for her own head shave - so the pledgers have to pay even if she doesn't make the target). I was quite surprised when I got to the security gate and the TSA person said "I can help you Miss", then showed my male ID and he did the double take and waved me through (apparently, there are lots of people "flying pretty" these days). My most recent pass this morning, with no make-up, no wig, no bra, and tennis shoes - the TSA officer took my driver's license, looked at me, looked at the license, back and forth about 5 times, convinced I had just given him the wrong ID. His jaw dropped, and he just said "go ahead Ma'am".

I've reached the point where it's more of a scene when I use the men's room (have to sit these days), than when I use the ladies.

I still dress male at work, because we haven't worked out the details yet, but even when I'm wearing my baggy men's shirts, men will hold the door for me and say "go ahead ma'am".

I personally am pretty casual about dressing, and don't really shoot to be anything like a model. So what kind of look are you girls trying to get?

These days I try to dress situation appropriate. If it's warm, I can wear shorts and tennis shoes with a women's blouse and a padded bra, with or without a wig, and pretty much be accepted by men and women as a woman. If it's cold, I'll wear leggings and boots, or slacks with 2 inch heels, and a woman's sweater. I had large forms, but they added to much weight to the luggage, so I started using smaller forms, which actually makes it EASIER to pass. A 40B padded bra with the "chicken cutlets" pads available in most department stores, can give enough breast to pass without so much that people stare, look more carefully, and under deeper scrutiny, realize that they are breast forms being worn by a man.

Remember, the goal of a cross-dresser is often to get affirmation. They may just admire themselves in a mirror, or post picture of themselves on a site like this, or go to a party or charity event dressed to the nines. People know she's a male, but are blown away at how beautiful she appears, even though it's obvious that she's male.

The goal of a transsexual getting RLE is to blend so completely that nobody notices them at all, even in the ladies room. A transsexual knows they are ready for the next steps, such as hormones and surgical measures, when they can go anywhere, any time, and even be in a waiting line, use the ladies room, and no one ever realizes she still has a "cockette" between her legs.

The biggest concern for a transsexual is when they are read in the lady's room. This is a situation that can go sour very quickly if not handled quickly. Even in states where transsexuals are protected (can't be denied use of either men's or women's rooms), if a woman clocks you in the women's room, she could call security, get violent, or even stir up several other women to violence.

The only thing more challenging is when you start to head for the men's room because you think you DON'T pass, and someone shouts out "Ma'am, that's the wrong one". If you don't switch direction and take their correction, you can almost COUNT on having at least half dozen gawkers checking you out on your way out. If everybody is sober, it's not that serious, but if you have a lot of drunks, they can revert to the same kind of attacks they would use when they were kids in elementary school or middle school.

If you really want to talk about blending strategies, you might want to check out the transsexual forum.

Sarahwithanh11
06-18-2013, 12:20 AM
I always try to blend in though I tend to favor turtlenecks and skirts. In general, the more that's covered, the better I look.

The nice part about being middle-aged is that I think this does let me blend in pretty well, as long as the skirts are long enough. One thing is that I do try to dress age-appropriate. It's fun and tempting to go for younger but it's also hard to blend in that way. Most GGs approaching 50 have learned what works for them...or they look awful and attract unwanted attention if they haven't.

I've been going out dressed a few times a month for several years now and kind of gauge how others react to particular outfits. I've had to toss a couple outfits, or keep them restricted to indoors, but I have several that seem to work for me. Overall I seem to pass the eye test. My voice often gives me away but most people I end up talking to are nice by that time even if they figure me out. And if not, I just get the heck out of there!

cassexy
06-18-2013, 01:15 AM
well i dress like a real woman, i have more womens dressess and i have a large collections of bras , panties, skirts, inner skirts, chudidars and sarees and blouses than i have men dressess. i also wear wigs and make up

AshleyScott
06-18-2013, 02:57 AM
Mes amis, bonjour from France...

I don't try to dress like a real woman - but I do like a lot of what a real woman gets to wear.

I like to see a woman who can carry off a mini skirt, tights and heels, without looking like a sl.ut. So that's what I often wear - and friends agree, I've got the legs for it :battingeyelashes:

I like to see a woman that looks good in well fitting jeans and flats, or shorts and sandals - so that's for me. :heehee:

A slim girl on the beach in her sexy bikini is A "WOW!". The pool attendants (all females) at my public swimming pool often comment on how nice I look, they also give little kisses hello "petite bisous" - but I only ever wear the bikini bottoms.

I have a male torso and I'm fairly well muscled (plenty of yoga) - not like a body builder, just well toned. I am always well tucked.

I guess above the waist I'm more masculine, but below I'm more feminine (in appearance).

My only concession to make-up is to get a pedicure once a month and paint my toe nails.

I've played some femal parts in amateur dramatics. The audience may see me as that female, but beneath that wig I always see me looking back in the mirror. So my balding head stays that way.

I was at a swingers night club the other week. Chatting with a couple and another male, the male of the couple suddenly said to me "Do you know... we've been chatting for half an hour and I've only just noticed you're wearing a skirt".

So I don't try to pass. I'm a hetero-sexual male that likes to wear female attire, at home and in public. I don't dress up and I don't dress down - I wear what I like,

Does that make sense FelicityMay ? :)

FelicityMay
06-18-2013, 04:02 AM
yea I see what you mean...
the great thing about cross dressing, or even any hobbies in life, you can do it whatever way pleases you the most! and you shouldn't let others tell you otherwise! do what makes you happy

NicoleScott
06-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Hmmm. Are "real" women defined by their casual or conservative clothes and makeup? CDers didn't invent six inch heels, short skirts, or heavy makeup. "Real" women did, and some CDers like the look, on GG's and themselves.
I went to my bank yesterday. The CSR was a young, slim, attractive blonde wearing minimal makeup, nice pants, a cute top, and killer high heels. She was no hooker. Many women wear heavy makeup, and aren't hookers. And what's wrong with short skirts for showing off nice legs? Is it OK for me to call your wife or daughter a hooker because she wears high heels or short skirts? Why must some CDers do it to others?
CDers can fool themselves into thinking they're women because they dress like "real" women, but are just men in dresses....I mean, flats, jeans, and a cute top. Of course the matter is entirely different for TS's. Duh. This is about CDing.
I guess people will continue, as long as they're allowed, to make themselves feel better by putting others down by referring to their own style as classy and conservative while less conservative dressers are called trashy hookers. For a group of people wanting acceptance for their choices (to dress like women), there sure seems like a lot of intolerance for style choices of other CDers. So I'll play along: if you want to look like an old granny by wearing long dresses, flats, and no makeup, go for it. Some of us like to glam it up.

slamddoger
06-18-2013, 09:53 AM
yes to the b est of my knows

Crissy Kay
06-18-2013, 02:03 PM
As a closet cd, I prefer the ultra fem look that most GGs, or cds for that matter, would not be caught dead in!!!

I dress like most gg's I see around here, jeans n tshirt.
Comfy n easy.

This is what I will never understand. If you are going to do that, then why bother to cd? Just go out in drab anyway.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
06-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Hmmmm... well... I guess I fall into the not so normal category. I'm exploring new looks all the time as I get older and the luster of "pretty" wears off. I'm very eclectic/Stevie Nicks in style and have found several nice looks in that vein that can go anywhere. Clubbing is another matter though as I tend to seriously goth/steampunk myself up for a night of fun. Like others have stated, I try to dress for the occasion as much as possible, but I am definitely not a jeans n t-shirt sorta girl ;) Whatever makes one comfortable is what matters.

*hugs*
Bethany

Carla4Guage
06-18-2013, 05:12 PM
When my goal is to go out, I dress as I see other women my age dress. As a play on words, dressing seldom includes a dress. Let's face it women don't seem to wear them often. I will wear a dress if going out at night, but even then I'm aware that I am the exception and try not to go overboard. I leave the fancy tights, short skirts and sexy things for my own pleasure at home, I can be just as "kinky" as I want, but in the privacy of my own home I am not degrading women and not attracting unwanted attention.

AmyGaleRT
06-18-2013, 08:18 PM
I don't have any ladies' pants yet, though I know it's a look I'll have to master. But I do have many casual dresses and skirt/top combinations, and those tend to be what I wear when going out. I don't wear the really fancy clothes except on special occasions, like PrideFest last weekend...and even then, once I got home, I changed to a more-casual dress to go out later. I don't go for really short skirts or tops that show a lot of skin, and, with the warm weather, I've been omitting pantyhose and going out bare-legged. So I'm maybe a couple of notches above average, but not too far out there. :)

- Amy

suchacutie
06-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Hmmm, let's all remember that women DO usually dress appropriately if they have any fashion sense at all, and most do. They would no sooner wear a dazzling gown to Walmart or ripped jeans to an evening's elegant symphony concert (ok, so some are inept, but we'll leave them out of this conversation).

So, my first point is that women have fashion sense and I attempt to fall into that category: not overdressing to the mall and not underdressing to a "dressy" event. There is nothing wrong with looking "professional" when walking through the mall or heading out to a restaurant for lunch, so a conservative skirt or dress is just fine. After all, how many times have you seen professional women at lunch dressed in a skirt or dress? I certainly have. I would wear jeans to Dunkin Donuts, but a skirt or dress works at Starbucks at lunchtime!

The second point is that some of our wardrobe is dictated by covering up the male "clues". We can't really go out without some makeup, but we need to know when enough is enough. That's where we run into difficulty, and that's where a loving spouse or girlfriend is incredibly helpful as one developes a fashion sense.

"Dressing like a woman" is not something simple to define, but in public it is something that makes me much more comfortable.

Home alone: anything I feel like is totally appropriate! :)

Jilmac
06-18-2013, 10:26 PM
I've never been an over the top dresser, and I've been told by sevearl GGs that I blend in well.

terri_sandal
06-19-2013, 02:35 AM
I always have tried to dress so sa to blend in ,that way no one gives a second look

prene
06-19-2013, 05:07 AM
I use to love to dress very curvy and feminine.
But I have gone thru 2 different changes.
I next moved to just wanting to blend in as a girl.

Now I am not do not are that much ... I just want to feel like I am a girl.
I wear my attached forms, so I feel like I have breasts, wear a corset - so the corset changes my walk and feel in clothes and I wear control top panties so I look/feel smooth down their.

I just want to feel like I have a feminine body.

Raychel
06-19-2013, 05:33 AM
90% of the time I dress like a woman that is going to a fancy dinner, or some real formal event.
Not so often that I would just blend in in public.

I guess I do have some clothes that I could blend in, but not all that much.

Erica Marie
06-19-2013, 05:43 AM
In my mind I dress to blend in. Casual but cute and not an extreme amount of make up. I am always afraid of looking over the top. Id rather dress down a little than too much. I guess the opinions of the other girls here is what I must go by.

Rileyaz
06-19-2013, 07:15 AM
I tend to wear women's jeans and shirts en drab. They are pretty plain so they can pass anywhere, but they are still women's. I did almost walk the ladies room yesterday but caught myself at the last second as I realized I was not dressed. Too funny.

Audrey34
06-19-2013, 07:57 AM
I don't dress 24/7 and I really don't go out much except to my support group meetings once a month. I tend to favor the dressier side of women's wear because it's what I like. I wouldn't dream of going near a mall unless it was lunchtime during the week and all the office ladies were there too, lol!
-Audrey

wilt575
06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Very casual... I've always been the "jeans and a t-shirt" type. Today was a plain blue v-neck and blue/white plaid shorts.
Yes casual but very fem casual yet not ****ty casual, even went and had upper body augmentation to properly fit what I wear, hips, butt are a natural fem or girly shape.

Jessica Who
06-19-2013, 12:12 PM
I try to dress like any fashionable, modern woman in my age bracket :D

Cheryl Ann Owens
06-19-2013, 12:26 PM
I haven't read all of the comments in this thread so maybe it's been said, but isn't "trying to dress like a real woman" the point of crossdressing? I was in a K-Mart several years ago with my wife on a Saturday night and it was SOOOO obvious to me that the woman in a dress avoiding us was a CD. Had she been dressed comfortably as any othe woman out shopping she would have easily blended in and not caught my attention. It depends on the occasion whether shopping or going out for dinner or a formal occasion. Hanging around the house like I am now, I'm wearing woman's jeans and a nice pink top. My favorite wig is still on its stand and not on my head. The real women are just that---real. Look around you.

Cheryl Ann

Lisa Jeffreys
06-19-2013, 12:59 PM
My intent is to be a real girl when I dress up. I try to emulate the look as best I can and even "steal clothes" from my masculine self. Ha ha. I look at the girls at work, at the mall, or the grocery store and actually notice what they wear. It turns out that a lot of them like to look like hell. I try for the next step up... shorts, baggy t-shirt and flats or sneakers.

My goal is to just be one of them. But that's just me.

XOXO
Lisa

Eryn
06-19-2013, 02:02 PM
I strive to emulate the styles displayed by the GGs around me. Clothing appropriate to situation and age is important to my being able to interact well in public. If I'm going shopping I'm not going to wear a ball gown, but I'm not wearing Capris to a nice dinner out either! Although I do enjoy wearing nice dresses I have to say that I have more fun being out and about in the daytime in casual clothes.

Now, that being said, most women have something aspect of their clothing and grooming that they particularly enjoy and where they show a little creative flair. Some enjoy wearing fancy earrings, some love skirts, and others enjoy having nicely-polished nails. I think that this is also a part of a good presentation and I seldom go out without having my nails polished in an unmistakably girly color. It provides an unmistakably feminine cue and, being the one part of my presentation that is visible to me, provides me with more confidence that I'm presenting well.

VanTG
06-19-2013, 02:24 PM
I would say that some crossdressers in actuality do better than natural genetic women.

When i dress I just want to look passable, not going for a gold medal or anything.

Vickie_CDTV
06-19-2013, 02:40 PM
I haven't read all of the comments in this thread so maybe it's been said, but isn't "trying to dress like a real woman" the point of crossdressing? I was in a K-Mart several years ago with my wife on a Saturday night and it was SOOOO obvious to me that the woman in a dress avoiding us was a CD. Had she been dressed comfortably as any othe woman out shopping she would have easily blended in and not caught my attention

The thing is, the concept of comfort is subjective. The person in the dress might not have felt comfortable around other people dressed, but on the other hand I am sure that person found wearing that dress very comfortable; they were not a GG coming from work where they have a dress code (and are forced to dress up), so they intentionally picked out that dress and freely chose to wear it, and they would not have explicitly chosen to wear it unless they found it comfortable.

Ocherylkscd
06-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Gender blender for me. Movies, casino. Places I might be seen by those who would be shocked to see me en femme.

Jaylyn
06-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Hmmm. Are "real" women defined by their casual or conservative clothes and makeup? CDers didn't invent six inch heels, short skirts, or heavy makeup. "Real" women did, and some CDers like the look, on GG's and themselves.
I went to my bank yesterday. The CSR was a young, slim, attractive blonde wearing minimal makeup, nice pants, a cute top, and killer high heels. She was no hooker. Many women wear heavy makeup, and aren't hookers.
Some of us like to glam it up.

I agree with Nicole I dress the way I want and if I want to be a hooker then so be it. I can dress down in my man mode and be way more comfortable in the summer, flip flops, shorts, and a "T" shirt but when I dress I enjoy wearing heavy makeup, thigh highs, tall heels, and my biggest forms. Maybe I look trashy or like a hooker but who knows if I had been born a GG I might enjoy the hooker life for a while....just call me Madame Jaylyn.... Lol

NicoleScott
06-20-2013, 08:50 AM
All of my crossdressing things - clothes, shapewear, pantyhose, shoes, wigs, makeup, jewelry, etc. - are made for women. How could it be that when I wear them, I'm not dressing like a "real" woman?
Hey Jaylyn, aren't hookers real women, too?

FelicityMay
06-20-2013, 02:33 PM
I think you are taking the "real" term too literally... of course all females are considered "real women", but what this is referring to, is the types of women you see every day. The simple type of dressing that most women like in their every day life. Girls always have a tendency to put on a mask and try to be as beautiful as they can in some situations, but on the average day, they typically don't dress to the most extreme. There is still a very casual level of dress that is more suitable for your daily life.

NicoleScott
06-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Felicity , I know what you meant by "real". But there are a lot of folks here who believe there is a right way and a wrong way to crossdress. If that is so, then there must be a right way and a wrong way for women to dress.

What I don't do is dress like a hooker. No six inch heels, no short miniskirts, no overdone makeup, etc. I think that's the mistake many crossdressers make.

Neither crossdressers nor women dress like that by mistake - it's very much on purpose.

Lexi_83
06-20-2013, 04:11 PM
I totally went through the "Barbie" phase. I'm mostly over it.

AmyGaleRT
06-20-2013, 10:13 PM
I was in a K-Mart several years ago with my wife on a Saturday night and it was SOOOO obvious to me that the woman in a dress avoiding us was a CD. Had she been dressed comfortably as any othe woman out shopping she would have easily blended in and not caught my attention.

Well, you know, dresses can be comfortable too! I have several casual dresses made of a T-shirt like fabric, that are not only pretty but quite comfy. I got complimented on one of them by a GG, when I wore it to get my hair done. :)

- Amy

karynspanties
06-21-2013, 08:36 AM
I like to go for walks on the trails in wooded parks in the Ann Arbor Michigan area. I usually wear tennis shoes, knee length denim skirt, cotton cami with a long sleeve cotton button shirt, wig and full light make-up. Ususally no one looks twice.

Sister Rachel
06-21-2013, 08:56 AM
I've bought some silly, tarty fripperies in my time, but these days I find I'm most comfortable in a simple midi skirt and floral-print top, things a "real woman" would wear. Shoes are a real problem .. I have managed to find ballerina flats in size 11 that fit, but with difficulty. Almost all man-sized, femme style footwear seem to be over-the-top "drag queen" type affairs, and the few women's shoes that go to 11, well, they're still too small and narrow, and you won't find a "real" woman's shoe in a 12 for love nor money :(

TGMarla
06-21-2013, 09:24 AM
I'm not really looking to "blend in", as it were, since most women these days don't much seem to be interested in wearing pretty dresses and getting all dressed up to the nines. But that's what I like to do. Now, the OP statement wonders if I try to look like an actual woman, and I'd have to submit that there aren't many men around who wear what I wear and look like I look. So I'll answer it this way: Yes, I try to look like an actual woman, albeit a woman who is nicely dressed and took the time to do her hair and makeup.

Nikki Rich
06-21-2013, 10:43 AM
I don't get to dress very often so I tend to dress up a little more ( usally a nice skirt and top or dress, heels, not real big on too much makeup reguardless). I've only been out once but when I did I dressed to blend in. That outing I'll save for later but I'll will say it was a good experience.

Rachel Flowers
06-21-2013, 02:23 PM
"trying to dress like a real woman" the point of crossdressing?

I keep seeing posts and comments on this forum where we assume that everyone else has the same view of the "point" of crossdressing as we do. Can we please remember that every crossdresser has their own intensity of drive to dress, their own sexual preference, their own history and associations. Not everyone is trying to pass, not everyone is trying to emulate real women, not everyone is dressing to make themselves or other men sexually aroused. We're all different adn failing to recognise and accept that is as destructive as the attitude of outsiders who think we should be "trying to dress like a real man" whatever teh heck that means!

Maria S
06-22-2013, 07:07 AM
I dress to blend in. The trouble is that women nowadays like to wear trousers/jeans or have bare legs. To me that is not feminine enough. I like above the knee skirts or dresses and a nice pair of tights and high heels.

Maria

NicoleScott
06-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Rachel, your post (#98) is perfect, because it is a great response to those who bash over-the-top dressers and those who say what's the point of dressing if not to glam it up. We have different drives to our dressing, but we can still get along if we could all understand that. Your post expresses it perfectly.

Majella St Gerard
06-22-2013, 08:44 AM
I go for the girly cute look mostly when I go out in public, I do try to blend in by not wearing anything too over the top, I try to be low key. But since I do not dress to pass or appear as a woman I do tend to stand out, with my 6 in heels I am over 6 feet tall. I present myself a man in a dress or skirt or whatever. I do not wear a wig and only wear light makeup. I do like to dress femme and sexy also and will do that usually around the house. I think I look good combining the masculine and the feminine look, my wife loves my style and compliments me often on what I am wearing. Anyway, I'm starting to ramble on. Just my thoughts. Have a great day all and get dressed and go out, it's fabulous. What do you care what other people think, just do it.

FelicityMay
06-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Nothing in this thread has bashed on over the top dressers. It is just a question of preference. I actually hoped there would be some when I asked

Joanne Curl
06-22-2013, 04:21 PM
I dress to blend in but matbe just a bit more pretty. I love to go out and I don't want to attract any attention as the old fat cross dresser but as the well dressed, older well turned out lady that I strive to be.

K8astrophe
06-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Brenda, it is definitely harder to find shoes as you get up in size, but 11 and 12s can still be found in some non stripper-esque styles. I think 13 is where it really thins out. I'd recommend Nine West, DSW, and Nordstroms...definitely not as much as you can find at size 10, but it's not hopeless and you can filter by size up front to save yourself the heartbreak of falling in love with shoes that aren't your size. On a budget, I think Target carries 11s in many of their styles. I've picked up some wedge flip flops there in the past, but a lot of theirs are pretty narrow.

Memzy
06-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Real women don't dress like me and I don't dress like real women. I'm over the top and off the deep end.:D

+1!

I dress like a rockstar, because well. I am a rockstar. Trying to blend in uses so much energy.

This is a response I responded to someone with that said I dressed too over the top~

Really don't think there is a certain way women necessarily have to dress. I mean yes, there's absolutely ridiculous such as... the super low cut cut trend from Japan, but hey. Personally I find it amusing, to each their own!

But if we all dressed along the same guidelines, the world would be a much more boring place. I see clothes, and makeup as a means to express myself, in my own way. Much like a lot of people. The interesting thing about it however is that expression can be taken several ways. For example what has happened here, some say I look very "sexual", while others say "cute", I think even "punk" was expressed. Who knows, I could be all the above. I could possibly be a porn star. I guess fact in the end is, like my transition, I dress for Me. I would like to say that other peoples opinions don't bother me at all but that would be a total lie. After all I am very self conscious about the whole "passing" business. Which in reality is kind of silly. It's almost like we as trans women are being lumped into some sort of formula of how a women should look, and act.

It's kind of funny how women are expected to be overtly sexual but put down as ****s, *****s, tramps and prostitutes when they accentuate this nature about themselves. Even if it's expressed in a classy manner. (on the flip side the same sort of thing can be said about men as well. Except they are often referred to as "homosexual" if they wear anything resembling femininity.)

I suppose in the end it's all about personal preference, and what we find to fit in our own little comfort zone. I do wonder if the categorizing people dressed inappropriately actually comes from some sort of self conscious thought of "I would feel very uncomfortable, and ****ty if I wore that myself" that leaks onto judging said person as such.
I don't know! I have word vomit so I'll shut up now ;c

tl:dr I dress how I want, because I'm a living canvas! Or something like that.

Kyary who happens to be my biggest idol and inspiration said it best~

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc944v63iD1qhxb47o1_250.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc944v63iD1qhxb47o2_250.gif

NANNETTE
06-22-2013, 05:50 PM
I tend to like the librarian/office gal look myself but I would love to go out in a nice evening dress someday. My main goal is to be passable and if I feel naughty i'll wear it under the "normal" gal clothes :) but I try not to stick out when I dress

I like the office girl/librarian look that sums me up to a tee.

Adrienne Heels
06-22-2013, 07:33 PM
I do try to blend in....pants, capris, sweaters......but always heels, whether to the mall or going out at night. I guess it is the working mom look.

Kristy 56
06-23-2013, 08:47 AM
I guess my answer is yes and no. When I used to go out yes,so I could blend in as much as possible. At home I dress the mood.

PretzelGirl
06-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Been a busy week Felicity and I just saw this.

First, the reason we do this is to be happy. So anything goes and it is all good.

For me, I get out a lot. And when I go out, I want to blend to a certain extent. But sometimes we get a dim view of what blending is and a comment about Walmart way back kind of shows that. Just because sloppy dressers go to Walmart doesn't mean you need to dress sloppy to go. Good dressers go there too. So when you dress and go out and you desire to blend, you don't have to work towards the most "casual" of the range available. If you go to the most dressy, you may get a few more looks, but you don't stick out either as long as you don't push it.

So for me, blending can sometimes be just capris and a casual top. Or like last night, the night went Old Navy, dinner, movie, and grocery shopping and I had on a fairly colorful, long skirt and a nice top. Probably got a few extra looks, but I was wearing tall wedges too. Had a great night and wasn't worried about it.

But for me, I do like to dress up too. I get that "out of my system" by going to nice events, doing it for Tri-Ess meetings, completely breaking my normal standards at Diva Las Vegas, or I use time at home to experiment with looks and outfit assembly.

It is all good and you just develop your own styles and patterns. The question in the end is, are you enjoying life? The rest is noise.

Leona
06-23-2013, 05:25 PM
I half dress in public. Usually a unisex tie dye t-shirt and a sarong tied as a slit skirt, but that's because I don't go out much and go out mostly to the grocery store. I work too much and am too broke to really have time/money to do stuff. :( So I don't try to pass or anything, I'm just a man in a skirt.

What I've noticed, though, is that women check me out a lot more in the skirt. I've always thought men would benefit by not being so uptight about their clothes. You don't have to have any sort of female gender identity to rock a skirt, and women dig that.

PaulaQ
06-23-2013, 05:41 PM
I try to choose clothes that match what GG's (hopefully better dressed ones) wear. There's a lot of options for that though. I try to dress appropriately for the time of day, and location - I wouldn't wear a LBD at Walmart at noon for instance. But really, the great part about women's clothes is that you can wear pretty much anything you want.

Cheryl T
06-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Well, firstly I don't dress like a "fake" woman, so I suppose that only leaves a real woman.
Unless I'm going to a party or some fancy affair I look just like any other woman you would find where ever you are. I don't wear a fancy dress, stockings and heels to the mall (although if I had the $$ to shop at Nordstrom's I might), I dress like everyone else. Mostly it depends on the weather and where I am going. Shorts or capris and a nice top with sneakers, flats or sandals out shopping in the summer and jeans or slacks in the cooler weather.
Primarily I dress for me. I wear what is comfortable (cute too) but never over the top. I just enjoy being me and don't really care about being a "Klum clone" or following the dictates of some "fashionista" who has no clue who I am.

Angie G
06-24-2013, 10:22 AM
I try to put together the best look I can. I do makeup now and then but I try to keep it simple.I keep my hair long and sometimes curl it.I don't try for over the top look.:hugs:
Angie

danielletorresani
06-24-2013, 11:24 AM
My favorite look that I shoot for would be a hot secretary type in the 60's, kinda like a Mad Men kinda vibe. The girl I dress like doesn't exist much at all anymore, unfortunately. For me, I don't care much about authenticity, only what turns me on.

Robyn2006
06-24-2013, 06:01 PM
I try not to go to far with it all. However, hate how once basic feminine adornments are not as commonplace as they once were. Simple things like basic makeup, lipstick, and nail polish (but please, just keep it red, pink or the likes… NOT blue, green, or good lord, black!). For me, I'll keep all that, thank you very much. Funny, sometimes I'll see some incredibly beautiful woman who almost goes out of her way to look drab. Always kills me… A paradise denied that I'd die for! :doh:

Samantha_Smile
06-24-2013, 06:51 PM
My view on how I dress may not reflect what others see.
If
'Casual, not typically femme' is 1
'As femme as most girls dress' is 5
and
'Super-tranny-femme, OMG, WTF, you're a hot mess' is 10
I tend to move between 4 and 8 depending on mood.
I think it's pretty accurate though considering my GF is pretty good at letting me know when something is 'too much'...
That isn't to say I wont wear it, I will, but it just reflects one end of how I like to project.
The other end is just for feet-up days, or doing housework etc

Do I try to dress like a real woman?
I guess so, sometimes. Other times I dress to feel good.

diana2013
08-02-2013, 11:51 PM
i hope i was born a girl and be like any sexy woman.

Trisha65
08-03-2013, 06:31 AM
As I am living 24/7 as a woman, yes I try to dress like a real woman, keeping in mind the norms. I don't dress to draw unneeded attention to myself. I would say my routine would be like any real girl. Shower, makeup, hair, get dressed. In the evening is when I usually do my nails.

Zylia
08-03-2013, 08:26 AM
I don't think it's a rather novel approach when I say I generally want to dress like an actual woman. Every CD can set its own goals, and this is one of mine. It's not just about not looking like a guy, it's also about looking well-dressed. The overall fashion sense (or lack thereof) isn't nearly as bad here, I think on an average day, about one out of six women that are about my age (or my female persona's age) has an outfit or style I would like to see myself in. I think it's a balancing act between dressing what's appropriate and what you actually want to wear; appropriate in terms of weather, the occasion, my female persona's body (I can't get away with everything) and her age (which right now is more or less my own age). These things are not set in stone, even women have quite a lot of leeway, but if I decide to deviate from those standards, it does have to look like I did it on purpose, not because I don't know how to dress age appropriately.

I try to approach 'fashion' in a way any woman who's not planning to throw out her whole wardrobe every season would: I get a few new items and mix and match. Some basics never really go out of style and a lot of items can be reused in a different context. I usually store items that absolutely no-one wears anymore and keep them until they are 'en vogue' again :D

Lacyfem
08-03-2013, 09:20 AM
I've always wanted to look as much like a girl as I can. It's not easy though because I feel so fem when dressed and I want to look sexy but not over the top. Over the top draws too much attention and though love to dress sexy I need to blend in and be one of the girls. But yes do so want to look like a girl when I dress.

Kali
08-03-2013, 09:44 AM
The reality is I pretty much dress like a soccer mom unless I'm going out with the girls. Tunics and leggings in cooler weather, shorts or skirt and a t-shirt in the summer. I would wear shorts more often, but I can rarely find ones that are proportioned correctly for me and the very short-waisted ones in style look odd on my frame, so I'm more likely to wear a casual skirt.

My wife would prefer I dressed like Bea Arthur in Maude, but I think that style makes me look blocky and completely shapeless, which is not flattering.

heatherdress
08-03-2013, 10:24 AM
I understand and appreciate everyone's individual responses explaining their dressing style.

I work in a large, rather formal, organization with many, many "real women" every day, and see such a variety of styles and appearances. Casual attire with flip flops in the same department as 5 inch heels, minis and false eyelashes. Tattoos, spiked hair, shaved heads. Shorts, pants, dresses, skirts. Gobs of make-up and scrubbed faces. Age, weight, height, ethnicity and even job position or management level differences do not matter much. Women vary how they dress, even when at work, even with "dress codes". So do crossdressers.

Crossdressers usually dress by themselves, for themselves, often alone by themselves. We experiment, exaggerate, copy, make mistakes, have fun. We frequently dress the way we want to feel - different, sexy, happy. Some want to "pass", some don't care, some are out, some are not, some have limited budgets, some have restrictive partners. We are a wide range of individuals, as the great responses above have pointed out.

The wide range of fashion, style and appearances we see in the pictures and threads of members on this site is understandable, expected and - beautiful.

Diane Edwards
08-03-2013, 01:47 PM
I've always dressed for the occasion, though it took some time and help to make sure I didn't overdo it. As my cousin always told me, "Less is more. If you go over the top you'll stand out like a sore thumb. Better to keep it real and blend in." It's stood the test of time. I've been able to pass for over 30 years because of that bit of advice.

Crissy Kay
08-03-2013, 04:03 PM
For me, no way!! I did not get into cding to look like the girl next door. I want to look like the fetish girl of my dreams!!!

crystalbath
08-03-2013, 04:13 PM
I like to dress and look like a girl with a bit of make-up on, but not so much it looks like i'm slapping it on and totally overkilling haha :P

regina young
08-03-2013, 09:43 PM
What Crissy said is funny, but there is usually quite a bit of truth in humor. I like to dress as passable as is possible, make-up, hair, everything must be as perfect as I can possibly make it. And I love sexy, whether dressing up for clubbing or partying, or more reserved for just getting out, shopping, etc. I always throw in a healthy dose of sexy. Starting with the base layer I do everything to make me look, and more importantly feel, like a woman, my wife is quite jealous of my lingerie drawer. Things I have learned: for mall walking no high heels, high heels are for showing much and walking little. I love to turn a mans head if I can, put on some heels and black hose with a flouncy skirt and necks will swivel...I like that. If I am being hit on by men.....I have done it right.

Brooklyn
08-03-2013, 10:21 PM
I like to stand out and be fierce, but in a classy way. I don't really try to blend in or wear things that are too girly.

MssHyde
08-03-2013, 10:22 PM
For me I want to dress attractive for myself and others.

I want to be seen as a real woman, the feeling is very deep like a pulling to be her.

I want realism, no clip on earrings had to be double pierced
(as I seen in the 70's on a few trend setter sexy women during a trip down south)

I often had my hair permed, set, streaked and braided to feel some thing as a woman would feel.

going out dressed and being referred to as a woman makes me feel so warm inside.

also while dressed and emulating a woman and feeling I blend in makes me feel almost complete at last.

to look at a picture or in the mirror and see her over shadow me, looking like the woman that's been set free from my mind makes it all worth while.

Tina B.
08-04-2013, 09:00 AM
My closet looks pretty much like any older women, a few dresses, a lot of skirts with nice tops, and Capri's, jeans, shorts with tee's. Flats tennis shoes and sandals most of the time.

Stephanie47
08-04-2013, 12:43 PM
It's difficult enough trying to blend as a six footer with a male build without wearing an outfit that will attract attention. I go for a mature womanly look which means a tasteful knee length dress and three inch or less heels. I always dress for the occasion.

Emma500
08-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Yes. I wear a skirt and blouse every day.

Angiemead12
08-04-2013, 07:00 PM
I only wish I could dress like a real woman, but since I dont get to dress up often I choose to be extreme and ultra femme!

DanielleT
08-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Yes, Whenever I c

DanielleT
08-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Opps error there, yes I do dress as a woman whenever I can, because I am one.

sweetvictoria
08-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I started out with some very sexy clothing (which I love). When I became brave enough to venture out I decided to tone it down. I still like to look sexy but often now when I go out it is more casual. I have started buying some lower heels, jeans and capris and more casual tops and skirts. I think I still look sexy but more like everyday women.

Karen_K
08-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I try to dress as appropriate for the environment I'm in. Usually that means pretty casual. At the last meeting of my local support group that I went to, there were only two people wearing pants: myself and the only GG who was there.

Aneline
08-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Well sort of. I don't do beard cover, wax my eyebrows, or shave my legs so I can't pass and I have sort of a patchwork collection of odd bits of clothing from ebay and elsewhere so maybe I dress like a woman that shops at thrift stores and doesn't have much fashion sense. I favor deep red lipstick that went out of style in gurls my age in the 1960's. But no PVC or leather

josrphine
08-06-2013, 10:11 PM
I try to look as much as I can as a women. Now that I am losing weight I have a flatter stomach. I have great legs so losing the middle have been hard. With a grey beard I don't have to worry about that showing thru. I am able to wear just regular make up. My GG has helped me a lot. less is better. I am starting to pass every were i go .

Christie Camelle
08-06-2013, 11:13 PM
My former SO told me once that I dressed like a middle aged woman trying to compete with girls half her age. Kinda the hot soccer mom look. Tight jeans, low cut top, heels, and attitude. She said I was a younger guy's fantasy. Then she would look at me and say, "I hate you, you bitch!" and laugh like crazy!

Cristy2
08-07-2013, 12:10 AM
When I dress I try to dress to look like a woman my age, besides I have a bit of a gut. I love the look of some mini skirts and mini dresses, but you rarely see a 43 year old wearing them.

Alice Torn
08-07-2013, 12:20 AM
I try to look like fairly dressy ladies of the late 1950's, to mid 1960's look. Like some girls used to dress at highschool, decades ago, or a calssy dress, pearls , hose and heels look, with knee length or just below knee dresses and skirts. It may be a little over the top these days, but, i was pleasantly surprised to see a goodly number of women in dresses and skirts today, at the Madison VA hospital area.

DanielleT
08-08-2013, 08:26 PM
When I can, where I can, Yes I do, because whatever my birth sex was, I am a real woman!

ArleneRaquel
08-08-2013, 08:28 PM
I dress as nearly a 65 year old man can dress as a woman.

Michelle789
09-22-2013, 01:45 PM
and you won't find a "real" woman's shoe in a 12 for love nor money

Try Payless. If you order online at Macy's, Payless, Nordstrom's, Woman Within, you'll find way more options for size 11, 12, 13 that are not stripper-style, but what average women would wear. I do agree it gets tougher if your shoe size is 14 or higher.

My view on how I dress may not reflect what others see.
If
'Casual, not typically femme' is 1
'As femme as most girls dress' is 5
and
'Super-tranny-femme, OMG, WTF, you're a hot mess' is 10

When I do go out, I'll try for the balance of the two extremes, and will go for 4-7. I definitely don't need to go drab when I CD, I already do that everyday dressing as a guy.

Yes, I try to look like an actual woman, albeit a woman who is nicely dressed and took the time to do her hair and makeup.

I definitely understand trying to blend, as if being a CD or TS isn't already making us stand out.

If you're dressing at home occasionally and not going out, why not glam it up?

In the end it's what makes you feel good and comfortable that matters, whether it's completely blending, going completely over the top, or some middle ground where you look like a well-dressed GG.

I try my best to dress like a well-dressed woman at all times. This does not mean that I try to dress like most women as I do not like how most women dress these days. Even when dressing casually, I try to look nice.

I like to stand out and be fierce, but in a classy way. I don't really try to blend in or wear things that are too girly.

Marla, Carole and Ashley, you it it on the nose!!!

S. Lisa Smith
09-22-2013, 01:51 PM
This sums it up for me. I want to be the best Lisa I can be.

ryenmatt
09-22-2013, 02:24 PM
I buy and wear what I think is cute and attracts my attention. I look in my closet and go hmmm I haven't wore that in awhile I will try that today.

heathr1
09-22-2013, 02:27 PM
No. In fact I very rarely completely dress.

cdkateinboston
09-22-2013, 02:37 PM
I find that my desire to dress and be femme comes in waves. However, when I am in the mood to dress, I do go all out. From hair styling to nails to accessories, as has been stated on this thread before, I try to be the prettiest Kaite I can be :)

MissJoanne
09-22-2013, 04:38 PM
My 'persona' is that of a businesswoman in her mid-50s. As such, when I go out, I am dressed in a skirt suit or a jacket and skirt, dressy shoes with a low heel and absolutely NEVER without nylons! I've been called "Ma'am" many times, although I'll readily admit that most of those occasions involved drunks! I've also had doors held open for me on more than one occasion. I think it's such a culture shock to most people to see a smartly turned out woman these days that they're taken aback - it may also be the common misconception that the typical CD just wears female attire without any other effort on appearance. Whatever the reason, I'll take it!

ErinP
09-24-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm 40 something. I'm a parent. I'm dressing like a 40 something mom. It feels normal and looks normal. The 40 something GG that has the wardrobe of her 20 year old self gets the "what?" I saw one just today. And people were making comments. She can wear what she wants. But, that doesn't mean she looks good. I don't want that kind of attention. It's hard enough to blend.

erickka
09-24-2013, 05:28 AM

Thank you, Carole. My thoughts exactly!

Carla4Guage
09-24-2013, 07:38 AM
I looked into my closet and realize that everything I have there would/could be worn any day of the week by any female I know. My clothing is all casual "Go to the PTA" type clothing.
I did however recently meet with a friend who had nothing but what I would consider party/evening dresses. She allowed me to have a fashion show in her home and took some pictures for me.
I don't think even if there were my dresses that I have the nerve to wear them out in a nightclub type setting, but what a feeling! I'll try to get one of them posted in the Picture and Video section here.

StephanieDragg
09-24-2013, 09:19 AM
yes as I enjoy running my errands, doing my grocery shopping, dining, etc.

Lacyfem
09-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Yes, but I'm not real good at tucking so get that buldge sometimes which is not allowed in photos here.

NicoleScott
09-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Let's all go to the mall and ask GG's "why don't you dress like a real woman?".
Uh.....which ones do we ask, those wearing capri pants and keds, or those wearing dresses and heels?

Alice B
09-24-2013, 10:42 AM
If you are not trying to dress as a real female, then what is the point if cross dressing. If going out I try to dress in a manner appropriate for the occasion. At home only, then anything goes, but I still want to feel real in my look. That is, as best I can for my age.

Karen43
09-24-2013, 10:49 AM
I do like to go out dressed so I am never "over the top". I dress very stylishly casual and can blend in ...:battingeyelashes:

bigbbalti
10-15-2013, 04:48 AM
Just have fun doing what you like

lovetobedani
10-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Hello all............

One of the reasons why I dress is to express that feminine side of me. I always dress as female/feminine as I can.

Call me a soccor mom ,going to a PTA meeting or a real estate broker in a suit as long as you call me feminine.

Lexi Moralas
10-18-2013, 02:12 PM
This is in fun thread! For me it has evolved over time. When I first started going out I looked like hooker no doubt about it lol.
But I new it and didn't care my time was limited and I wanted to look how I wanted to look. But I wouldn't go to the mall dressed like that I would usually go to the " adult " video store where it wasn't all that out of place. But as I got more comfortable going out I wanted to go to more Main Stream places like a mall. I started dressing more like a real girl would in those situations but a sexy girl. I.e. last week I was out at a mall wearing I tight pair of skinny jeans and I sweater w/ a cute pair of high heel booties. Hair make up and nails done wearing jewelry and I always Carry a pocket book. But when I went out dancing at the gay bar I wore a sexy dress and thigh high boots. But that's what makes me happy

jessiejess112
10-18-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm one of those who dress "over the top", but that's what I enjoy. Every time I'm going to buy a normal dress, my instincts take over, and I buy a very feminine costume or something similar. But it's mostly because of my limited time and money, otherwise I would buy a lot more "normal" outfits to wear.

jenni_xx
10-18-2013, 02:48 PM
If you are not trying to dress as a real female, then what is the point if cross dressing.

The point, for me, is not to be confined by gender boundaries. I like both male and female clothing, and express my right to do so, irrespective of how it's received by society. When I wear an item of clothing designed for the opposite sex, then by definition I am cross dressing. But long ago I realised that I shouldn't have to present fully (at least to the best of my ability) as a female in order to wear what I want to wear. And the bottom line is, for a lot of us, no matter the effort we go to in the hope of passing as a female, it is something that will never be achieved, at least never achieved 100% of the time.

So for me, it isn't about me trying to dress as a "real female". For a real female is something that I am not. I am, by definition, a crossdresser, but I don't aspire to a particular look that tries to emulate women. I merely dress for myself, and if that pushes the "gender boundaries", then so be it.

Sue Too
10-18-2013, 03:33 PM
I am very fortunate in that I am out and about almost every day. I dress to blend in but yet I try to be a notch or two above the average. Never let it be said that I am a poor representative of the ladies of the world. I have too much respect for them.

Susan in Phoenix

BiancaEstrella
10-18-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm 29 years old, and I like looking like women around my age. Where I'm going and what I'm doing largely dictate my outfits. I love heels, but I'm not wearing them to the grocery store. Thankfully, there's plenty of variety in my closet, and I can be situation-appropriate for multiple scenes.

immike
10-20-2013, 11:30 AM
I love to dress nice,so I pick out a short mini skirt,a silky soft blouse, tan,or off-black stockings&a pair of black or white heels

Linda E. Woodworth
10-20-2013, 12:22 PM
I always try to dress appropriately for a lady of my age, 54. I just love wearing a skirt or dress and showing off my legs! I think it looks so feminine.

My wife told me several years ago that if I was going to dress as a woman I was to do it right and look as presentable as possible. Those words were music to my ears and I've tried to live by them ever since. Unfortunately time to dress up is never as plentiful as I would like.

RobynP
10-20-2013, 03:42 PM
I think we often try to look like what we think a woman looks like. This might be quite different what women really look like...

Clorissa
10-20-2013, 09:28 PM
I maintain my long hair as a woman. Get up in the morning. Apply moisturizing leave in conditioner to my hair. Let this spread out. Comb, then apply Chi Silk serum and Orofludio to the back and top. Brush, then apply Orofludio to the top and back again. Brush out. Make sure my back and side curls are together and shiny. Brush my long hair down over my back.

Apply facial clenser. Clean off with a facial mat. Apply facial cream. Spread. The apply facial eye liner. Let set. Go out into the world. I dont wear more than this since since women dress very casual and I match this. Just use very feminine hair.

Ciao,
Clorissa

Phydelia
10-20-2013, 09:45 PM
i only have one outfit that i would consider to be "abnormal" feminine clothing... it's a very frilly pink dress that would only be worn by a sissy or a girl dressing up in "Sweet Lolita" style. Everything else has come from normal women's clothing stores, so by definition it's "real" women's clothing.

As we all know very well, women have a much wider variety of clothing options available to them than men do, so as long as you keep things reasonably appropriate for your environment looking like a "real woman" doesn't have to mean looking drab.

Caitlin_85
10-20-2013, 09:49 PM
I definitely go for the every day/current girl look. I don't care for going over the top at all. Just doesn't do anything for me. I try to keep up with the styles that are worn by most GG that I see in public and find attractive. While I love looking at beautiful women...and do it often - I am also simultaneously analyzing what she's wearing and getting ideas and wishing I was her. lol.

franlee
10-21-2013, 03:43 PM
I dress just as a real woman would in the same situation and environment. If I am in a city I try to emulate that style and the different makeup they wear but when around here in the country (SOUTH) sometime no makeup or at best very little and lite is the style for our life style. But then if I need to dress for business that style of clothes and makeup call for more time, care and makeup with the dress or suit.

And then what Caitlin 85 wrote is almost a mirror image of my mindset too. I find my admiration and imagination fixed to the style and look of women much more appealing to me than sexual attraction. Any way I have a fantastic supportive wife and don't even want to think of jeopardizing our relationship by doing something stupid.