PDA

View Full Version : 1st ren faire

Tracii G
06-23-2013, 08:59 PM
What an awesome time!!!.
Like walking back to the middle ages and so totally cool.
Got to see jousting and rat pucking.
The fairies had some of the coolest make up.I mean the time and effort it must have taken is amazing.
The costumes were over the top cool.From fairies to kings and queens,peasants,jesters,minstrels and knights templar. Even one musketeer!
The jousting knights put on a great show and they KNOW what they are doing!!
Soo much fun to go back in time and hang out with folks that love that time in history.
Got to get my dress done now and go to the next show all done up.
I bought a cool hat and some feathers for it.
Told the lady I bought the hat from that next time I come I'll be dressed as a female that was once of some stature and wealth that has gone to the evil side and out for revenge on the ruling class.
She said Oh honey that sounds so awesome I love evil characters you have to come see me.

Angela Campbell
06-23-2013, 09:21 PM
I have been to several. The best one I ever went to was the one near Atlanta. Denver is pretty good too. Tampa....well not so much.

Beverley Sims
06-24-2013, 12:10 AM
They are good outings, everyone in character and playing it to the hilt.

Tracii G
06-24-2013, 03:12 AM
I asked one character how long he had been doing these shows and in a strong Scottish voice I'm 1600 years old so a very long time.

noeleena
06-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Hi,

Sounds like you had a good time so the personer of a upper class , woman with another side, hmmm makes it interesting.

Im a Chateline = mistress of the Castle, only in the evenings & a wench when working in the Kitchen doing duty's, for our Renaissance group for our week long camp. about 230 to 250 of us,

just enjoy it i certinaly do.

...noeleena...

Tracii G
06-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Noeleena I could find myself really getting into this and becoming part of this group.
I enjoyed it immensely.

Bree Wagner
06-24-2013, 01:21 PM
You'll definitely have to show us that evil character!

I took my wife and daughter to Ren Fest yesterday, my wife was a wench and my daughter a princess. I had no costume and dragging an almost 5 year old around to actually shop would have been nearly impossible. Maybe, just maybe, I can go back and do a bit of that while they're out of town later this summer. If I've got the cash it might be nice to put together an outfit for a Lord and a Lady.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
06-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Yes!! I've been on an active cast here in Texas for almost 12 years now, but my real fun is portraying the Evil Faery Queen at the Houston Texas renfest for the last 8 years. All of the festivals have great crowds, endless possibilities for costuming and no one cares who or what you are when you attend.
As long as they have them, I'll keep doing them. Also... the Victorian/steampunk events are just as much fun too!

*hugs*
Beth

Karren H
06-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Yeah... Wenches in corsets and eating meat with your hands! We go to the Pittsburgh ten fest every year...

Leah Lynn
06-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Tracii, I've been going to Ren Faires for years. I'm planning to go enfemme this year; whole costume. They are so much fun.

Leah

Look around for Renaissance Magazine. Lots of history, photos, and tons of ads for costumes, accessories, etc.

Tracii G
06-24-2013, 05:01 PM
I saw all the posts and pics from the members here and always thought how much fun it would be.
I love medieval history and clothes/weaponry.
All the clothes and costumes were the highlight for me.People really use their imagination.
My short list of items needed.
A short dagger and a bra dagger
Wide leather belt.
Tall boots with lots of buckles.
Lace up sandals.

Princess Grandpa
06-24-2013, 08:40 PM
We have participated in ren faires. Our son worked at a sword booth and they let us tag along. An amazing time to be sure. Heh the party really gets started after the gates close.

Sometimes Steffi
06-24-2013, 10:15 PM
I've gone to the Maryland Renaissance Festival several times.

The first two times I went en famille, and obviously in drab.

The last two times I rented a wench costume there and had a great time.

I'd like to go again this year. I was thinking about going as a lady pirate, that is a man dres as a woman dressing as a man.

Tracii G
06-24-2013, 10:25 PM
I plan on going to one in central Ohio in the fall so it will be a bit cooler.That way I can dress to the hilt.

Gwinnie
06-25-2013, 05:36 AM
I want to go to one here. I want a dark red or deep orange ruffled blouse. Huge billowing sleeves with ruffles. Then I found a skirt that is amazing. Floor length and very very full. 25 yards of fabric in the skirt. Just can't seem to find the blouse though.

Gwendolyn

noeleena
06-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Hi,

Tracii,

We have about 30 Archers some are very good, & we have two who get dressed in armory so we can shoot them. thats fun. the first time i took the guy out 3 times & only with three arrows relessed, in comp's though i was up against very good Archers & they are better than I, i thought no way id have no hope, try at 200 yds & more, steel recurves 35 lb. you find your place & its really good, lovely people & friends .

That did not bode well just as well its fun.

...noeleena...

Di
06-25-2013, 12:35 PM
I love medieval history and clothes/weaponry.
All the clothes and costumes were the highlight for me.People really use their imagination.
You would be perfect:D Sounds so much fun!

Tracii G
06-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks Di you are so sweet.
I have the patterns and material for a dress and corsets but need to contact the lady here locally to make it for me.
Do need to check out some websites for the accessories to go with it.
It was oodles of fun and I want to participate in more of these in the future.

One of the fairies had the coolest make up on and I took some pics with a friends camera so no pics here ATM
She had what resembled a blue snake skin pattern from the cheeks up to the hairline and around the sides.
Big pointy ears too it was so pretty and well done.