PDA

View Full Version : Advise in finding a local gender therapist.

Tina955
06-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Would appreciate any advise on where to start looking for a gender therapist.
I am very lonely and gender dysphoria is out of control. I am fighting serious depression. The thing is, outside of the gd, and losing my wife to breast cancer, everything in my life says I should be a happy person.
Thanks in advance.

Tina

I Am Paula
06-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Get in touch with your local LBGT organization. They will have a resource list, including therapists. Your Dr. will too, but he may not know who is best with gender issues. If you try one therapist, who turns out not to be well enough versed in your situation, they will also refer you. You don't say where you are, but most towns bigger than a postage stamp have some resources. The closest university may also help you. Try thier health dept.
My wife has survived breast cancer, so I really feel for you. The surgery, radiation , and chemo almost killed both of us. I'm in transition now, and the GD seems to be receding, so I hope you find the help you need. If you need to vent, PM me, I've been there.

Melissa Rose
06-29-2013, 08:30 PM
I also recommend contacting a local LGBT center or support organization. It may also be a good way to meet others. It is more difficult to go through any form of transition alone.

Tina955
06-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Thank you so much for the advise lady's. I will use it and hopefully find a good therapist.

XOXO
Tina

Melissa, I just viewed your pics, and I have to say WOW! I am so jealous. And what a wonderful wardrobe.
You really have it all together. And thanks again for the info.

Tina

traci_k
07-01-2013, 03:34 AM
Tina, you didn't mention whether or not you were working. My company had an employee assistance program with ComPsych and I found a wonderful therapist through them. I'd been seeing her for several months now and she's really helped with the GD and helped me out of my depression and I just got my recommendation letter for HRT from her. Otherwise I'd echo the other girls with a local LGBTQ organization.

PM me if you ever want to talk, I'm about your age - about to turn 58.

Hugs and Best Wishes,

mary something
07-01-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm not sure where you are located, but maybe there is someone on this list that is convenient to you. If not I would try calling the closest therapist on the list and asking them if they know of someone closer.
http://www.drbecky.com/therapists.html

Vivian Best
07-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Tina,

Be sure to get one that works with gender, many, if not most do not!

Ariamythe
07-29-2013, 10:17 AM
This. I started with a general therapist, but it quickly became apparent that, as well-meaning as she was, she wasn't ready to handle gender issues. Occasionally she'd get this deer-in-the-headlights look for a moment before rattling off some pat empty answer to a question I'd ask. It was really not a good use of my time (or $80 a session).

Jorja
07-29-2013, 01:58 PM
I agree with contacting a local LBGT organization or support group. You will more than likely discover, to find a therapist with experience in Trans issues, you are going to have to travel. The most of them are usually found in the big cities. If you have a college or university near by check with them also. You can always Google gender therapist for your area then let your fingers do the walking. As you contact them ask if they have experience with transgender issues.

mikiSJ
07-29-2013, 02:48 PM
I would go with recommendations from local girls, if you have access to them. Most large cities have some form of a LBGT community and they should be your first source. I went looking for someone late last year and after going through all of the ads on the internet, I finally contacted someone with a lot experience in the TG community in San Jose and found a wonderful highly experience individual that I have been seeing weekly.

One thing to remember is that psychologists, even with a PhD cannot (in most states) prescribe medications. My therapist gave me recommendations for 2 psychiatric MDs and I chose one that I felt most comfortable with who I felt had the most gender experience. He has worked well with me over the last six months.