PDA

View Full Version : So, How Do You Explain the Wig in the Washbasin????

Debglam
06-29-2013, 07:40 PM
San Francisco Trans March 2013 was yesterday evening and it was a LATE night for me. It is also 100 degrees plus here so my wig looked like something the cat dragged in! I set it in the basin with some Woolite (neat trick) to wash it and went out with my spouse to run some errands. My youngest daughter (14), who I am not out too, comes home, goes into our bedroom and spies the wig.

Now she knows that my spouse, with a voluptuous head of hair, does NOT wear a wig. She had also hinted around about me being a possible "crossdresser." :straightface: So she comes into the kitchen and flat-out asks me and my SO about the wig. We exchange eye contact and I flat out tell her that I am in fact, transgender.

Her only concern, was if I was doing it to "hook-up" with other people. I explained that as often as I am out, it is about me being me and that I am completely monogamous. She thought that it was "cool" and that I seemed to be a much happier and much nicer person since I came out. She is also a makeup diva and nearly flipped her lid when I showed her my kit! :battingeyelashes: Now I REALLY need to keep it locked up! :heehee:

I never tell anyone else what to do but look, this is the next generation. This is how the vast majority of these kids think. She has LGBT friends, teachers, etc. My SO and I have raised her to be a confident woman that doesn't need to take anything away from anyone else to make her life better. These kids are gonna be the future.

I'm not planning on taking out an advertisement or anything, but everyone I care about now knows that I am transgender. Anyone else can either take me as I am or walk away, I don't care. I know I am very lucky but I think a lot of it is how the things that terrified us just aren't Really a big deal.

Anyway, my post on a short but rather potent burst of excitement this morning!

Oh yeah, Happy Pride gang!
(A little (trans) girl at the Trans March said "Hello" and wished me a "Happy Pride!" Cutest damn thing I've ever seen!)

Debby

Bree Wagner
06-29-2013, 07:51 PM
What great news Debby! Congratulations, not only on being an excellent parent in raising her to be tolerant, on having a wonderful and loving daughter. I can only hope that mine will react the same way someday.

-Bree

candydawn75
06-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Congrats!! That is a GREAT GREAT story!!

rachaelsloane
06-29-2013, 08:00 PM
So now the whole family knows and nothing will ever be only yours. Great story and glad you enjoyed the Trans March.

Jenniferathome
06-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Great news for you Deb. The truth is always the best answer, even when it is hard.

Melissa Rose
06-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Debby and I have talked about knowing when the time was right to tell her youngest daughter. Whether Debby was ready or not, the time arrived. :-)

While I am thrilled it all went very well, I have another reason to be happy. Debby and I go out several times a month and we often have to work around her daughters schedule especially during the summer when school is out. It should be much less tricky now that she knows and is fine with it.

There have been other threads about how each of us can help our cause. One of many ways is to teach those under our responsibility to keep open minds and hearts and to not harshly judge those who are different or things we do not understand. Debby's story is a great example of doing exactly that.

DianeDeBris
06-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Congratulations Deb - on the advances at home and in your personal freedom, and on the wonderful kids you're raising! I suspect there are a lot of makeup and style conversations in your future that we're unimaginable only yesterday. Hugs - Diane

Debglam
06-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the love everybody! It is much appreciated!

You are right Diane, I can't tell you the number of times that I wanted to offer her some makeup advice or take advantage of my contacts at MAC. Very excited by that!

Rogina B
06-30-2013, 12:47 AM
And you are so right about the kids being accepting to the "rainbow world"..our lifestyle being a part of that.You are now a whole lot younger and cooler in your daughter's eyes.We live like 3 girls in a house and my 11 yr old daughter loves going places with her Aunt Rogina..Yours will as well,just try it!

Princess Grandpa
06-30-2013, 12:55 AM
What a great story! Thanks for sharing. You must be quite proud.

Emjay
06-30-2013, 12:58 AM
That's really awesome Debby! I'm glad it went well for you!

Congrats! :)

Lynn Marie
06-30-2013, 05:05 AM
Very cool Debbie. My little princess is 30 and lives in Hawaii. Got to tell her one of these days.

xdressed
06-30-2013, 05:22 AM
That's a really brave way to come out, and what a fantastic result as well ^_^

mikiSJ
06-30-2013, 05:43 AM
Debby - your makeup is always perfect. I can just imagine seeing you and your daughter discussing the latest MAC or whatever products at the dinner table.

Looking forward to seeing you, Melissa and the rest of the Gems at the Luau next month.

BLUE ORCHID
06-30-2013, 06:19 AM
Hi Deb, That's wonderful knowing that it could've gone South real quick she is a fantastic daughter.

kimdl93
06-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Great people raise great kids.

Sheren Kelly
06-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Debby,
I am sure your daughter appreciated the fact that you were honest with her, even with a subject as personal as being transgender. That your family can share such issues with respect points to a very healthy and happy home.

Alice Torn
06-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Happy humble pie pride!

Beverley Sims
06-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Deb,
I hope this is the end of any rocky ride or self doubt you have probably experienced.
It must get much easier now.

AllieSF
06-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the uplifting story. Knowing you a little and seeing your personality in action only reconfirms that you are a wonderful person, husband and father. Thanks for sharing and I too hope to see you sooner rather than later.

Debglam
06-30-2013, 02:13 PM
I just have to say that I love you all! Thank you so much for the kind words! My SO and I are tickled by the comments that we can take some credit for this but that certainly wasn't what I was fishing for. Anyone with kids knows that there is a huge luck component to how they turn out and we all just do the best we can. Any credit for my daughters' tolerance really needs to go to my SO. I was never a bigot, but when I was ashamed of myself for being trans I wasn't the most tolerant person in the world. When you don't love yourself it is really hard to love other people.

Best to you all!
Debby

Tracii G
06-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Sometimes you just know when the right moment is.
Good going in being honest and glad she is a wonderful young lady to accept you for who you are.