PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing at Anime Expo

Briana90802
07-03-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm going to anime expo in LA tomorrow and I'm dressing up, but just as a girl. It'll be my first time to an anime expo, or any con for that matter. Has anyone cd cosplayed at one of the con's?it seem to be the hidden "fetish" of some people.

Kali
07-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Given the number of men that cosplay as female characters, I don't think "hidden" is the right word ;)

Beverley Sims
07-03-2013, 12:03 PM
I doubt that you will even be noticed.
You would have to wear a stunning or outlandish outfit to be noticed.
There will be plenty of those.

CarmenSkye
07-03-2013, 12:05 PM
I've wanted to do this for a long time. It should be fine, there are a lot of cross-players! You should definitely try to dress up as character if you can!

Aly Cat
07-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Ive been to dragon con here in atlanta a few times and LOVE it! It is so much fun. I dress up when i go. My friend and i were going to go as the characters from the game Journey. Amazing game btw for those with a PS3. Not sure ill have the costume done by the time it happens though. The last time i went, i went as Shawn from Shawn of the Dead. Heres a picture of me and my friend with someone dressed up as Dr Who...

Andy66
07-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Souunds like alot of fun. I woulld love to do that some time. What if you went to a party supply store or somewhere like that and got an anime colored wig? You know, pink, teal or whatever.

xdressed
07-03-2013, 01:31 PM
If the people there are anything like the people that come to the London Anime and Games cons, then they're gonna the most open minded and kind people you can mind. Absolutely nothing to worry about whether you get read or not. I've been to the last two MCM Expo's in London, both times in girl mode and I had an absolute blast

Aly Cat
07-03-2013, 02:29 PM
If this guy can do it, anyone can!

Jennifer Kelly
07-03-2013, 04:50 PM
LOL, Eva. I think I saw an older version of that guy (his dad maybe? :) ) at GenCon many years ago.

Aly Cat
07-03-2013, 05:15 PM
My buddy and i are planning a business that will center around all the popular cons around the country as soon as we can get some funding. We love cons and that is both of our dream jobs. Hopefully some day, we can get some funding for it. It would be a blast to be dresses up all the time lol

kimdl93
07-03-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm obviously getting too old. I barely understand...i think.

docrobbysherry
07-03-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm very jealous, Brianna! Sherry would LOVE to attend an anime, etc. convention! And, LA is just up the road.

But, I have a phobia about dying on a mayor holidays in one of the horrible traffic jams we always have!

lynnef
07-03-2013, 09:17 PM
there's actually a lot of Crossdressing at anime conventions :) it goes by the name of "Crossplay" and is generally done F->M, but M->F is also quite common, and is quite readily accepted (if done well for either case),
for more information about it here -
http://cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46
(crossplay forum on cosplay.com)

If you have a favorite Female anime Character, by all means go as her :D

I just wish they had more anime conventions near me (i think i'd make a pretty decent sailor Jupiter/Kino Makoto (Lita in the english dub) :) I did go as my avatar to a costume party, but no one recognized the character :(

Jodie_Lynn
07-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Sooooo? What happened? Did you get to the Con? How was it?

Lexi_83
07-10-2013, 04:47 PM
I knew there was a reason I bought that spandex catsuit!

Jodie_Lynn
07-10-2013, 06:00 PM
And Dahling, you look Mahvolous in it! ;)

dragdoll
07-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Never went to any cosplay/anime ones, but I used to go to the horror-themed cons (usually as a female zombie) and even though there was some cross-play and gender bending among the crowd, the CDs are few and far between there. There is definitely some prudish people at the horror expos, especially in the south. Last year I overheard 2 middle-aged women volunteers who were working the door refer to this young guy as a "drag queen" just because he was wearing a woman's t-shirt (with some superhero logo on it) along with just regular male clothing. Cosplay expos seem like they're way more fun, but I don't know anything about anime.

Loni
07-10-2013, 08:12 PM
not really a cosplay trip but in a couple years. (pending cash and time off)
i am taking a trip back east to see the history if this country.
but here is where things might be about the same... if not worse.

security? how does the rent a targets handle people dressed not as born?
trying to look differently then ? from most i have dealings with (both sides of the isle) most are just bored and want to go home.
i am sure the security at a convention has the lowest paid staff of most any security deal.
as in least educated in trangendered and such. but i would be trying to get into see much more secure places.
with luck the tsa goon squads will still only be harassing people about there shoes at airports.

have any out there been to the smitsonium and the white house etc?

Darling Micki
07-11-2013, 01:24 AM
Just read this today,

Hanging from a peg in my office here are a number of id badges from several years of going to the Anime Expo. When it was in Long Beach, Anaheim, and most recently in LA. The last time I went, in 2008, I was Marvin the Martian.
Red spandex Catsuit, White Clown Shoes, White Gloves, Green Leather Skirt, black spandex hood, paper mache helmet, Nintendo light Zapper.
it wasn't the most professional looking but I had fun... Three days as that. On the 4th day... Jeans & a marvin t-shirt
look up anime Expo 2008 marvin and I'm sure you'll find me on Flickr or even youtube.

I've got plans for a female version, but have not assembled the costume.

Briana90802
07-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I had a great time. I posted my photo in the gallery section:
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?197544-Anime-Expo

It was fun once you get inside and there were a few other CDers there but I was only there for one day. If you like lolita dresses and sexy cosplay I definitely recommend it. I had to spend 2 1/2 hours in line in the sun to pick up my badge to get inside so if you go you might want to get your badge the day before. So once inside i had to redo my makeup. Also funny story. I had to show my ID to get my badge, At first they didn't believe me and it was embarassing to have to explain to them that it was me on my driver's license. They kept shouting, "Brian, I have a badge for Brian!" This was the first time that have been out in public dressed and I loved using the girls restroom, thankfully there were no lines. :) There were so many vendors there with things for raves, cosplay, goth, steampunk, and so on. I wish I had had more money to buy everything that I saw.

BUT I LOVED IT.

Aly Cat
07-14-2013, 01:22 AM
So I remembered the other day about this person who was dressed up at dragon con like the character from the movie Mars Attacks! He did an AMAZING job. The way he walked and moved was with so much grace and talent that he looked like he was floating or hovering around. Truly amazing. Here's a pic of him!

nicky_im_cd
08-05-2013, 08:58 PM
I can't see photos. Why?

Lorileah
08-05-2013, 11:22 PM
I can't see photos. Why?

You need 10 posts

lauren.h100
08-06-2013, 04:27 AM
I have fewer than ten posts and I can see posted photos. I think you just need to register and be logged in.

Tina B.
08-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Lauren, she has to be logged in to be able to write she can't see the picture, so I don't think that's the problem.
Brianna cute outfit, sounds like a fun day except that two hour line to get in.

paulinescotlandcd
08-06-2013, 10:52 AM
This chap looks to have the look right, don't know why he is selling his wig.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blonde-wavy-curly-short-Bianca-Rene-of-Paris-wig-highlights-cosplay-costume-/141028318523?pt=UK_Women_s_Wigs&hash=item20d5f15d3b