PDA

View Full Version : Feminizing your voice

Joa
07-06-2013, 02:47 PM
For women the voice adds so much to what is seen in my opinion. A very feminine voice is as important to a look as makeup or the clothes. It has been my experience when meeting someone who I am not sure if they are man or woman I wait for them to say something to determine gender. So when going out it really helps to have a voice that matches the look. Most of the time what comes out for me sounds silly and horribly false. Can anyone recommend an online resource that works?

Joanna

Kate Simmons
07-06-2013, 02:54 PM
You will hear of different methods from different people here and elsewhere that has helped them somewhat. It doesn't always work for everyone. I stopped being concerned with it myself a long time ago. It's not so much how you sound as it is what you talk about and how you say it with most people. That having been said, I know a lot of women who have voices deeper than my own for whatever reasons.:)

Beverley Sims
07-06-2013, 03:01 PM
I speak softly, it works for me.
I learn by mimicking a female singers song.

Harley_Quinn
07-06-2013, 03:03 PM
It's not so much how you sound as it is what you talk about and how you say it with most people. That having been said, I know a lot of women who have voices deeper than my own for whatever reasons.:)

I am so sorry but this reminded me of one of my favourite comedy sketches of all time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym7IEBntjuY) but I am intrigued to find out any such online resources as well as it does add to the facade which I try to create and if it helps me be more courageous and venture outside dressed how I want to be dressed and be how I want to be then I sincerely want to know too. xx

iyzie
07-06-2013, 03:04 PM
I recommend finding your female voice (http://www.youtube.com/user/deepstealth?feature=watch) by Andrea James, and candiFLA has a good tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbaj4tIX1kw) as well. I think anyone can learn with enough practice, but unless you are vocally talented or have a chance to spend several hours a week conversing in your female voice then it may be difficult to get far.

Haku
07-06-2013, 06:24 PM
It would be nice to have a girlier voice. My voice is deeper than my older brothers and has this thick awful Australian accent.

Leona
07-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Well, before I trained my voice to be deeper and adopted the mechanic's accent, I passed as a girl often without trying, and almost every time on the phone. Actually had a coworker who wanted me to be less feminine coach me with having a deeper voice.

The way I understand it, cadence matters most. And you can get that by trying to work with a sing-song voice, starting with songs sang by women. If that's the One True Trick, then I'd suggest some Madonna for you. :) If you're in the tenor range, achieving an alto isn't that difficult, but it has to come naturally. If you're a bass, then you're better off learning how to talk like a sick person when you're dressed. I had the opportunity to audition for a band whose guitar/singer is a trans woman, but the rest of the band isn't. She wanted a trans bass player, though. So I went and listened to their music, and the singing voice was so obviously a male voice overreaching to try to sing like a woman that I was like "I'm NOT going to be in this band". And every song was about being trans... Don't get me wrong, I want a trans band, but I want it to be a cover band, and when original songs are performed, they should be regular songs. Regular songs change meaning when performed by a trans group.

I'm trying to unlearn the trained male voice I talk with, and it's been difficult. For one thing, whenever I try to let it go, I get flashbacks to the coworker telling me I shouldn't be so feminine and feeling hurt by it. I've had an easier time dropping the swagger that was also trained.

Jana
07-07-2013, 01:05 AM
I'm not kidding: pay attention to the way Martha Stewart speaks. She has a somewhat lower voice and her enunciation is not uber feminine; although upon hearing her voice nobody would question that she's a woman. Maybe it's a good place to start, in addition to some of the methods others have suggested.

hallie
07-09-2013, 01:44 PM
There are a couple of things I've been doing to femme up my voice but I'm not sure if they would work for everyone else. There are two different things I work on and combine seperately to get a more femme voice.

First task: Voice softening

1. Get a Voice Recorder!! - Most modern cell phones have one built in or you can get an app for it. This is what helped me find out where I was having problems.

2. I try and speak in a lighter tone but the same amount of volume. Just so that my voice is softer. This is a HUGE task in itself. Learning to speak without having any hard deepness to your voice is a major challenge. On the voice recorder you'll be able to tell where your major lows are.

3. Work on your vowels. Nice soft, light vowels. Your voice is supposed to go up, not down!

Second Task: Girl Voice

1. Observe women's voices, listen to how they sound and not what they are saying. I do this in resteraunts, or other social settings where women/girls are talking around me. This has led me to the conclusion that a lot of girl voices sound REALLY FUNNY!! Almost like they are talking like cartoon characters in a mild way.

So, observe, listen, and deduce how you could possibly make a similar sound.

2. Time to make funny voices!! I "squeeze" my voice so I sound like a very bad high pitch cartoon character (I imagine I'm a really annoying teddy bear). I practice talking like this for a while until it feels natural. From there I slowly reduce the "funniness" in my voice until I find a sweet spot that sounds femme.

COMBINE YOUR POWERS NOWWWWWWWWWW!!! lol

Now with the combination of my "silly" and "Soften" voice I have a much much more femme sound to my voice. I have a very manly and deep voice naturally.

I've read a few things, watched a few videos, and this is what has been working for me.

Nikki68
07-09-2013, 01:49 PM
I recommend finding your female voice (http://www.youtube.com/user/deepstealth?feature=watch) by Andrea James, and candiFLA has a good tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbaj4tIX1kw) as well. I think anyone can learn with enough practice, but unless you are vocally talented or have a chance to spend several hours a week conversing in your female voice then it may be difficult to get far.

Watching that was amasing to see the difference in her voice that quickly!