PDA

View Full Version : Car Trouble

heellover
07-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I know many of you ladies always keep a change of clothes in the car when out,as I do as well.
However,what if your out with a friend or family member?
A gg friend of mine,whom I've recently come out to,has said she wanted to go shopping with Natasha.
Well we went shoe shopping a few days ago and she ended up getting a flat tire.
She has a Dodge Caravan,and anyone who has ever had to change a flat on one of those things....its a real pain in the A%% to get the spare down from its place of storage! Specially in four inch heels! We both had heels on,and she isn't all
that knowledgeable on how to change a tire anyway,so I had to do it.
Took the better part of an hour to get it done.
Has anyone else experienced car trouble when enfemme,and not in the situation to have a change of clothes on hand?

Natasha

mikiSJ
07-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Join a car club (AAA) or make sure your insurance has roadside assistance coverage.

Raychel
07-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Changing a tire on the side of a busy highway.
Although I was in full guy mode, Definitely gave me something to think about when
driving enfemme. I will always have a change of clothes close by.
I would hate to have to do that in my pretty clothes.

heellover
07-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Join a car club (AAA) or make sure your insurance has roadside assistance coverage.

Yeah that makes sense. But at this particular moment that wasn't an option,aside from that it was her vehicle,not mine.
I always do have a change of clothes in my own car.

Joni T
07-07-2013, 04:21 PM
[ it was her vehicle,not mine.]

If you have AAA Roadside assistance it matters NOT who's vehicle it is. As long as you are a AAA member you're good to know.
Joni

heellover
07-07-2013, 04:49 PM
It depends on who your roadside assistance is with,a lot of companies here in Canada,or at least Ontario,cover the vehicle,
not the driver...well they do cover the driver,but the vehicles are registered by plate number,so in this situation if I did have coverage (which I do through my cell phone provider,which covers my car only) it wouldn't do any good.

Rogina B
07-07-2013, 04:57 PM
There has been a thread or two concerning this..Tyvek suit and gloves and a Kneeling pad in your emergency kit should ease the anxiety..or join "triple A"..

heellover
07-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Sorry,let me clarify what my original question was!
Has any ladies here been out with someone else in THEIR vehicle and had car trouble,where a stashed change of clothes is unavailable?

Kate Simmons
07-07-2013, 05:26 PM
I guess the days of "knights in shining armor" pulling over to assist ladies on the road is a thing of the past.:heehee: I do keep doughnuts in my car just in case I get pulled over, however.;):)

Sally24
07-07-2013, 05:29 PM
I stopped.carrying back up boy clothes years ago. If I'm out as Sally, I deal with things as Sally. Had a flat tire a few years ago on a Friday night heading out to the clubs. Had on a dress I had bought just an hour before. I got the old tire off, the spare on, and everything back in the trunk. Not a spot of grease or dirt on the new outfit!

AllieSF
07-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Yes, I always carry a small bag with a change for male clothes. I haven't used them yet and hope that I never will. But, I also realize that changing a tire or being in a not so safe situation with car problems justify to me the little effort it takes to carry that bag of clothes.

kathtx
07-07-2013, 06:07 PM
[ it was her vehicle,not mine.]

If you have AAA Roadside assistance it matters NOT who's vehicle it is. As long as you are a AAA member you're good to know.
Joni

Though not a AAA member I'd always thought that also. Unfortunately my dad found out otherwise just last weekend. He was driving a rental and AAA wouldn't help him because it wasn't his car.

PretzelGirl
07-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Just happened a couple of nights ago. I also don't carry spare clothes with me. Went out with my wife to a movie, dinner and grocery shopping. When were done shopping, I turned the key on the car and nothing. My wife remembered seeing a friend inside and called her and sure enough she had cables. The only catch is that she wanted to hook them up. Every attempt resulted in not a single turn of the engine. As she was saying she had to go, a gentleman (Knight in Shining Armor Kate :D) came up and asked if he could try. So he pulled around and while he was hooking up his car and I was hooking up mine, the sprinklers came on pointing right at the front of my car. Well, nice and drenched, I gave it a try and I was back in business. Him and his wife were just wonderful through the whole thing and we talked for a little bit before pulling away.

Jilmac
07-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Several years ago I was on my way home from Pridefest with a friend when my whole electrical charging system went kaflooey. A young gentleman who thought I was a damsel in distress gave me a jump start but it wasnt enough for me to make it home and my car died a second time. I managed to coast into a well lit parking lot and called AAA for a tow. The tow truck driver read me immediately but was very courteous and delivered me, my friend, and my dead car back home in a professional manner.

Leona
07-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Being an automotive technician, I guess I have a different way of seeing this problem. And probably would have changed the tire quite a bit faster. :)

However, if I could actually pass, my friend and I probably would have resorted to the age old technique of being damsels in distress. :)

Tracii G
07-07-2013, 09:17 PM
I had pulled in to a station to get gas and heard air escaping from a rear tire on my Mustang Grrrrrrr.
Put the gas in and rolled carefully to the side of the lot out of the way to change the tire.
I had a white BF jacket, black mini skirt and 3in heeled ankle boots.
Opened the trunk and got the wrench and the jack out and went to work.
I keep a pair of Snap On mechanics gloves in the trunk just for times like this.

MysticLady
07-07-2013, 09:57 PM
What's a favorite GG saying? If it has tires or balls, it's going to give you trouble:heehee:

Asp
07-07-2013, 10:14 PM
No, but I have been pulled over several times and it always gets awkward when I have to show my driver's license..... :D

MichelleTea
07-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Yes, I always carry a small bag with a change for male clothes. I haven't used them yet and hope that I never will. But, I also realize that changing a tire or being in a not so safe situation with car problems justify to me the little effort it takes to carry that bag of clothes.

I totally agree. The solution is to try and never be in that more worse situation.
Carrying an extra bag is trouble, but better to have and not need, than need and not have.
I have been in a situation where a vehicle breakdown while dressed required me to leave the vehicle for the night and take a cab home.

If I was riding with another driver, I would put my change-to-male-mode bag in the back/trunk of their vehicle.

Norma_CD
07-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Though not a AAA member I'd always thought that also. Unfortunately my dad found out otherwise just last weekend. He was driving a rental and AAA wouldn't help him because it wasn't his car.

Interesting. Unless AAA Texas is different than AAA Calif, it says right on their website: "Your membership covers you, not your vehicle, so you can call whether you are in your own car, a friend’s, or a rental."

BOBBI G.
07-08-2013, 03:21 AM
Norma,

Its the same here in Florida. I rented a car in Florida, and while driving to Ohio, had a tire literally shatter somewhere in North Carolina. AAA came,put on the mini spare, and led me to a tire dealer and bought a new tire. They didn't have a rental agent for my vehicle in that town. Think the town was called Back Water. People nice and friendly though.

Bobbi

noeleena
07-08-2013, 03:49 AM
Hi.

Can i rub it in. he he ......Okay lets see. i worked on tractors heavy trucks . well you get the idear have our own two 15 toners

Oh forgot this is about women. yes i carry my overalls you should know that all the gear to do on the side of roads work. allways carry spare clothes, come on womens only sorry about the high heels , no b ........ way ,,,boots yes....okay back to earth. ,
iv stoped for others dont think any thing of it, got the know how ill use it when needed, if i have to get under neath ,so, ill do it ill just put my overalls on . i mean my hands will be grubby dont care ill clean them ,,, but oh oh hands nails ....whats a bit of muck & oil. so , i am a woman does not stop this kid,

Mystic lady .

I like that. & when they are both together, oh ...yea......keep on moveing....yes.

...noeleena...

erickka
07-08-2013, 05:19 AM
Done it (damned flat) on my dually diesel on the interstate....nice dress, 5" wedges....oh well,live and learn!

Mollyanne
07-08-2013, 05:36 AM
What's a favorite GG saying? If it has tires or balls, it's going to give you trouble:heehee:

NEVER HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE BUT I LOVE IT, I REALLY LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Molly

Kate Simmons
07-08-2013, 06:00 AM
What's a favorite GG saying? If it has tires or balls, it's going to give you trouble:heehee: Yeah I can pretty much relate to that Victoria.:)

Cheryl T
07-08-2013, 07:56 AM
I used to carry a change of clothes in case something happened. Now I just carry some overalls, sneakers and the phone number of AAA.

linda allen
07-08-2013, 09:13 AM

That's the smart thing to do.

When I was younger, I took care of all this stuff myself, changing tires and making minor roadside repairs, but a few years ago I joined AAA, mostly for my wife's benefit. Well, we were riding in her car and stopped at a store. Came back out and the car wouldn't start. Even an attempted jump start from a good Samaritan wouldn't start the car. AAA was called and they had to tow the car home. Turned out to be just a battery problem, but not even the most macho man could have solved that problem away from home..

I haven't called them to change a tire yet, but since I'm paying for the service, I believe I'll call them when the time comes even in boy mode. If I were dressed, I would probably change first, then call them.

donnalee
07-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately, I'm a dirt magnet; if my car goes south on me, I can kiss whatever I'm wearing goodbye. I do always carry a toolkit in the trunk; I'm most concerned about getting me and my car home in one piece. When I retired a few years ago, I decided I was getting too old to be crawling under cars and bought a new one. I found out the hard way that new does not preclude this; I guess I'm just not a new car girl. New or old, they still break.

linda allen
07-08-2013, 09:17 AM
No, but I have been pulled over several times and it always gets awkward when I have to show my driver's license..... :D

What are you doing to cause you to be pulled over so often? I've been driving for over fifty years and can count on the fingers of one hand the times I've been pulled over. And I drove a lot for most of my life. I even drove a work truck for twenty years.

heatherdress
07-08-2013, 09:48 AM
I was riding with my wife and she got a flat tire. It was in a bed and breakfast parking lot. It was much easier to just change the tire than call for and wait for AAA. We had a small friendly B&B audience who were entertained by someone in 6 inch heels, a mini and fishnet stockings (we were going out) changing a tire in 10 minutes. I wish I had copies of the pictures they took. Too bad I ruined a great pair of platform heels walking around some gravel. I wish that I had taken time to change my shoes first. I now always carry a quick change of clothes.

Chickhe
07-08-2013, 10:34 AM
...but, you are 'out' and have support, so why the worry about a change of clothing? To me the change of clothing would be for if you are alone and fear being harassed or you don't want a neighbor/friend to see you. If you are with someone else like you described, you get to experience something unique. I found with my wife, I have to put all my fear away and I have to stand up proud and face the music....which is not all that bad. It would suck to ruin your nails though!...so just look helpless until someone stops to change it for you! Then thank them and joking say, you would have done it yourself if you had your work boots and coveralls on.

Billie Jean
07-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Verizon has a roadside assistance that will help you in any vehicle you are in. Billie Jean

Jennifer in CO
07-08-2013, 10:57 AM
OOOH YEAH...

early 80's...wife and I went to the lake swimming. Simple task, drive to lake, swim/enjoy, go home....except for the flat on the way home. Oh..both of us in string bikinis and flip flops....and no wraps - just our purses, towels and a cooler. Thankfully it was not a well traveled road so two girls changing a flat in bikinis went un noticed...

Darla Jean
07-08-2013, 11:25 AM
I found this thread so interesting because I just had this happen to me, when I was rear ended by an older gentlemen while making a right turn into traffic on a busy street. It wasn't a major accident and no one was injured (though $3500 damage to car). But I was underdressed (panties, bra (with a shaping cup), pantyhose) at the time and was driving with a pair of wedges that I had just purchased the day before (darling and a pleasure to walk in)). I was able to switch shoes before the police arrived, but at least I think it was clear I was wearing a bra and the shoes and pants I wore did not cover the hose. All turned out well and the guy who hit me had good insurance! Fortunately, but for an extra pair of shoes in the car, I'd have been in wedges or stocking'd feet. I found it great fun!

kimdl93
07-08-2013, 11:47 AM
I was traveling cross country en femme, recently, pulling a U-Haul trailer. Along the way, I blew a tire. And these things don't have spares. So I called the 800 number and the contract shop came out to replace the tire. I was fully dressed and just went with it. I could have made a quick change back into male mode, but it would have required pulling out my suitcase from the U-Haul and changing in the driveway of the convenience store where I stopped. Instead, I made the call, walked over to a nearby fast food restaurant and just took life as it came. I'm sure the repair guy knew I was GM, but I was treated entirely like any other customer. He even suggested replacing the other tire too, since it was way too worn to be relied upon, so I followed their truck back to the shop and had the second one replaced. An hour later, I'm back on the road.

Beverley Sims
07-08-2013, 12:35 PM
I just deal with it I rarely need or get assistance when dressed.

5150 Girl
07-08-2013, 04:32 PM
I had a freind on campus get a flat. I was in 4in heels (clogs) and a long denim dress. Luckily I was having a truck day, so I got my spider and floor jack, and their spare was fortunately in an easily accessible place. I did the job, and didn't get a speck of dirt on me. Yea, changing a tire in heels, without getting dirty... This is why my Polar Bear calls me Bree Hodge. (Desperate housewife fans will get the reference)

Eryn
07-08-2013, 06:44 PM
The SoCal branch of AAA (Auto Club of Southern California) covers you in any vehicle for roadside assistance. They even feature it in their advertising with a dramatization of a woman getting assistance for her friend's car.

That said, I do carry a "boy bag" when traveling alone as I don't really want to be up-close with a towtruck driver when en femme. If I'm with my wife I don't carry the bag as she can handle the situation.

The other consideration is whether you are willing to wait for the AAA to arrive and fix the problem. I can change a tire in 10 minutes whereas it might take an hour or more for AAA to arrive. That could make the difference between an enjoyable evening and one spent on the breakdown lane of a freeway.

In any case, it certainly prompts one to take good care of one's vehicle!

heellover
07-08-2013, 08:03 PM
I can honestly say the thought of having car trouble didn't even cross my mind! We were only going shoe shopping,so wouldn't be too long. The only reason it took us soo long to change the tire was the cable mechanism that holds up the spare was seized and rusted,actually changing the tire only took 10-15 mins or so.
I tend to have the opinion that if one is willing to face the world enfemme,than one is willing to face any problems a GG would have to deal with if in that particular situation.
(But also realizing that "we" are subject to unwanted attention at times as well)
(ie. this same situation,only at 1 or 2 am...unwanted attention! Its funny how a
situation completely changes from day time to night time..like a simple flat tire!)

Rachel Morley
07-08-2013, 11:39 PM
I stopped carrying back up boy clothes years ago. If I'm out as Sally, I deal with things as Sally.
Me too ... I don't carry boy bags anymore either. If I'm presenting as female I'm presenting as as female and I'll deal with whatever situation arrives, just as if I was full time. That said, I've been super lucky not to have anything happen where I'm on my own and I have to deal with a tow truck situation (or whatever) as that might make me feel a bit scared.

If I was in a similar situation to the OP and was with a friend in her car I would offer to fix the tire myself for speed reasons, but I'd rather not. If she wanted to call roadside assistance I'd much rather have her do that than me change a wheel in a dress and high heels. How would I wash my hands afterwards? .. and what if I got oil or crap or whatever on my dress?

Alison1842
07-09-2013, 02:15 AM
If i ever get to venturing out this is something im going to have to consider with my truck. The actual fixing is not really a issue, mechanically its no challenging to me, tyre's are a sub 5 minute task.

Now performing mechanical repairs and keeping a girly de meaner, that could be challenging. All the more so trying to use a starting handle in a good pair of wedges. That truly could be fun!

pedalpusher
07-10-2013, 10:28 AM
I know many of you ladies always keep a change of clothes in the car when out,as I do as well.
However,what if your out with a friend or family member?
A gg friend of mine,whom I've recently come out to,has said she wanted to go shopping with Natasha.
Well we went shoe shopping a few days ago and she ended up getting a flat tire.
She has a Dodge Caravan,and anyone who has ever had to change a flat on one of those things....its a real pain in the A%% to get the spare down from its place of storage! Specially in four inch heels! We both had heels on,and she isn't all
that knowledgeable on how to change a tire anyway,so I had to do it.
Took the better part of an hour to get it done.
Has anyone else experienced car trouble when enfemme,and not in the situation to have a change of clothes on hand?

Natasha

oh my...more times then i can count Natasha, hope this is read:

I remember one night leaving work, or trying to at least. The problem was, my old car didn't seem to want to leave. I had just been through the meeting from hell, and was not in the mood for any more problems. So when I got to the parking lot and walked up to the car, I felt a cold shudder run down my back. I have felt this before. Call it "woman's intuition"; we just know when something isn't right. I walked to the car, still mumbling and grumbling about the meeting, opened the door, tossed my stuff on the seat, pulled my skirt down and slid in. I was wearing a white sleeveless turtleneck; a tan leather skirt and knee high tan leather boots, my blonde hair pulled back in a braid. I flipped my hair back, put the key in the ignition, and turned. The engine cranked away as it usually did, and I feathered the gas pedal lightly, it sputtered away almost catching but to no avail, 15 seconds later I let go of the key. I reached with my booted foot for the floor, pressing the gas pedal firmly down and held it there. I turned the key again. The car came to life with a roar, backfired, and died. I was NOT in the mood for this. I pinned the pedal to the floor once again and turned the key, my fingers in a death grip around it. The engine cranked and cranked away, almost daring its mommy to start pumping. I held my foot down, my boot against the floor like I was just standing on the sidewalk, nothing. "Ohhh youuuuu". I sat back, looking around. No body in sight. I was thinking back to my meeting, a bunch of out of town hot shots, with condescending attitudes, and I was the one who caught the brunt of their male dominance. So with renewed sense of pure female agitation I reached for the key again. I pumped my foot three or four times on the pedal, all the way to the floor and back slowly. I twisted the key, the engine cranked away with absolutely no cooperation. My frustrations from my day were now to be taken out on this car. I started pumping faster and harder, I was accomplishing nothing, the car's motor mocked me with every dry lifeless spin. My booted foot, heel now suspended in the air, was pounding the gas pedal to the floor. "Oh come on you piece of junk" I cursed, "what is wrong with you now". I was furious. I tried once again, my foot pumping up and down, my whole leg bouncing on the seat, my left arm now around the steering wheel, my fingers white with the pressure and grip on the key, I stared at the lights on the dash, glowing red. I pumped faster, my entire body assisting in my pushing the pedal to the floor. I slid up on the seat closer to the wheel, my foot rapidly pressing the gas pedal to the floor, I was no longer pumping in full rhythmic strokes, in fact, my boot was barely lifting off the floor as I slammed it back down again. Thump, thump, thump, thump. The engine just cranked away."I can't believe this" I mumbled as I sat back, my back hurt, my legs hurt, my feet were killing me, trying to make an impression was a good thing, just not in new boots, and now the ultimate aggravation, An empty parking lot, and a car that won't start. I pulled my hair out of the ponytail braid and shook it lose, I reached down and unzipped my boots and peeled them off my sweaty feet. The smell of sweaty leather filled the car. I slid the seat up, now that I no longer had the reach of my boots. I sat, my back against the seat, reached for the key and turned. The engine cranked and cranked. Then with a split second sign of life, it tried to start. I put my now nyloned foot to the floor and started to sit up, pulling myself up with my left hand on the steering wheel with new life. "Oh come on please, please, please," I begged. The engine caught, I pumped coaxing life into it, and pumped some more. My nylons taught around my toes, my toes spreading across the pedal as it hit the floor. Faster and faster I pumped with a gentle bouce as the engine slowly gained more strength. I fluttered my foot lightly on the gas, the engine smoother and smother as it revved to life. I eased my foot up and down on the gas, lightly feeding the engine its life blood. As it sounded smoother, yet not to be deceived I slowly lifted my foot and let it idle. All the while holding my sweaty nyloned foot over the gas pedal. Just in case, well, it died again. I had diverted my focus for just a second, from the car to my briefcase, and chug, chug, chug, chug, SILENCE !

"Damnit" I cursed again. I sat up, held firm on the wheel and the key, planted my nyloned toes on the pedal and pinned it to the floor. I turned the key, a slight cough, a sputter, then dry lifeless cranking once again. I couldn't believe it, I started pumping fast and furious, my butt bouncing off the seat, my toes white through my nylons with each hard contact with the pedal to the floor."Oh,,,,,,,,COME,,,,,,,,,,,ONNNNNNNN!!!" I screamed at the car, "START,,,,,,,,,DAMN YOU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,START!" It was totally obvious the old car wasn't listening. I screamed, it just cranked away mocking me, testing me, provoking me to pump harder and harder, my sore sweaty feet leaving toe prints on the pedal each time I lifted my foot from the pedal. I had tried everything, fast, slow, short, long, holding the pedal down, everything, and nothing I did, did anything, except add to my anger.I sat up once more and turned the key. The engine turned slower than it had been, nervously I pumped faster then I thought I ever had. "No no, no, please come on baby start" I begged whining, "please don't die, please, I want to go home" I pumped and pumped and pumped, thud, thud, thud, thud, my foot and the pedal bounced off the floor. The engine slowed more, I pumped faster, bouncing and bouncing, "C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, go, go, go, go," I whined breathless. The engine rolled one last time, then, CLICK, click, click, click. I released the key, I felt the tears well up in my eyes as I turned the key again, CLICK.I sat back and buried my face in my hands and cried, what an end to a horrible day.Through my tears I reached in my purse for a cigarette. I pushed the cigarette lighter into the dash and would soon light the first of many that night.....

NV Susan
07-10-2013, 01:24 PM
I never had a to do any roadside repairs on my cars or trucks while en femme but have stopped while driving on back Nevada roads to render help to other people. You get the strange looks and all the "why you dressed that way?" questions... But after they find out your able to get them back on the road again it's all Thank You and you look so good!!!

pedalpusher
07-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Wish you were here in Maryland today to help me!