PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Night Cabaret!

AmyGaleRT
07-08-2013, 11:26 PM
I received my first "social" invitation on Facebook as Amy a week or so ago...an invitation to the Black Crown's "Cabaret" event, featuring the performance of, among others, our very own Lori. After careful negotiations with Sabrina (hint: the reason I wasn't online yesterday was that I had to spend most of the day playing Minecraft with her :D ), I got permission to go see the show.

For the occasion, I pulled a nice black-and-white dress out of my closet that I hadn't had occasion to wear before, and added my black low-heel slingbacks. I also carried a new purse in a gray pattern, and even found a new pink jewel-like case for my phone.

The set was due to start at 9:00, and it was in the dim twilight close to that time that I drove over. The street parking on Broadway was full, but I wound up parking just around the corner, on Arkansas. While it was closer than I'd expected to get, it still meant I had to cover a full half-block, in a neighborhood with which I wasn't familiar. I began my walk down the street.

As I walked along, I saw another person coming my way, and felt a little apprehensive. It wasn't until we were close enough to recognize each other that I realized I'd run into the best of all possible people I could run into in this circumstance...Lori herself! We hugged hello, expressing how wonderful it was to finally meet each other. She told me it wasn't too crowded, so I should be able to find a seat. I continued up to the Black Crown itself, and only got confused for a minute about where the entrance was before going in.

It was obvious where they'd be setting up to perform (by the mic stands and piano), so I essayed a place to sit. I wound up at a table with an older couple to whom I introduced myself as Amy. The gentleman recalled an old hotel gift shop in the hotel that's now the Sheridan that was named "Amy's," and I was treated to an entertaining story about the store and its owner, who, apparently, had been written about on a fairly regular basis by noted columnist Walter Winchell. I interjected "Mmmhmm?"s and "Oh?"s and at least one "Oh, you don't say!" at appropriate intervals. The couple left soon to go visit another establishment, leaving me alone at the table. If they'd read me, I didn't pick up on any different treatment because of it. (During this talk, Lori came by to let me know that she should introduce me to Phyllis, who runs a local transformation studio. I would have gone with her for that, but I wanted to hear the rest of the guy's story.)

About the music itself: It was a combination of various standards and show tunes, and it was very well done, in my opinion. Lori was accompanied by two other vocalists, Mehry (a GG) and Jimmy (a guy), and they were accompanied on the piano by Patrice, who also took the mic herself for a few numbers. I doubt that Fast Eddie Costigan himself could have given a better performance on the keys. (A fitting comparison, since the Black Crown kind of looks a lot like--and feels like--an upscale version of Callahan's Place.) Now, Lori herself will probably deny this :D , but I had no idea she was so talented! She performed numbers like "One For The Road" and "Misty" with style that would have earned a respectful nod from the Chairman of the Board himself. Her co-vocalists were no less talented; Jimmy's performance of "I Feel Pretty," in particular, was a standout in my mind. In between songs, the ensemble cracked some old, familiar jokes that nonetheless gave me plenty of opportunity to use Amy's giggle. When asked to sing along, I also made sure to so so in Amy's register...and I got as confused as a lot of people trying to do the "hand jive" at full speed during "We Go Together"! I was sorry Sabrina hadn't been able to come along; I think she would have enjoyed it, too.

I stuck to drinking Diet Coke, of course; my gout would have had me paying dearly for the consumption of any alcoholic beverages on Sunday. :eek: I didn't stay alone at my table forever; the waitress seated four other men at that table. (I got the impression that they were two couples, married or at least civil-unioned. I also started getting the impression that the Black Crown gets a lot of trade from LGBT folks. This was reassuring.) I began to feel like a fifth wheel at that table, so I moved to the next one over, which had been vacated and had better sight lines to the performers anyway. Plus there was a mirror on the wall behind me, next to various artwork pieces, in which I sneaked a glance or two. I also dug out my phone and took a (slightly grainy) selfie to show that I was there:

The set ended at about 11:30, a little shorter than they'd planned, but a decent length, in my opinion. I got up and found Lori, telling her how talented she was and how much I'd enjoyed the show. She, in turn, led me back onto the patio, where a bunch of other T-girls had been all this time, and they and I greeted each other. (I knew one of them from the Meetups, but I have a terrible memory for names sometimes, and as Amy it's even worse.) While out there, I got somebody to use my phone to take a picture of me with Lori:

(I think Lori was amused to see someone taller than her! What can I say, it runs in the family. :) )

I paid for my Diet Cokes ($2, and I left a $3 tip for the waitress, since she'd been so nice to me even though I wasn't ordering expensive drinks), and walked back up that street to the car, now in pretty much full darkness. Fortunately, there was no one on the street between me and the car.

Now, I enjoyed myself, and I don't think I made any obvious revealing mistakes. On the other hand, I have to deduct some points for not immediately finding the other ladies on the patio; GGs would have flocked together in an environment like this. (In my defense, that wouldn't have allowed me to see the show, which was, ostensibly, the reason I was there. But I still could have heard the performances.) Plus, I probably looked somewhat awkward for a lady; of course, I would probably have looked awkward if I'd been there in drab, too. (What can I say? I don't go to bars much.) So I have to rank my overall performance as "fair." However, that gives me an incentive to try and improve...by going there with the other ladies after the Meetup on Friday night!

Lori, thank you so much for inviting me. :) :hugs:

- Amy

kimdl93
07-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Sounds like a splendid time was had by all!

Julie Denier
07-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Glad you had such a great time! ;)

Lorileah
07-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Amy, so glad you came and it was great to meet you. Yes, it was surprising to have someone taller than I am around.

It was great fun. We hope to get to do another show soon and would be very happy to have you and Sabrina come to it. I am glad you stayed inside to "see" us though. Not that there was a lot to see. We hid behind the mics and music stands. :) When i am there I always find a seat near a mirror and fuss with my hair all night. The place is great, combination antiques store and bar. Anyone coming to Denver come on down, the Princess is there 3-4 nights a week. Especially come down on a Thursday for Broadway sing along.

Thanks for posting the pictures Amy. I had no idea how I looked especially after the show...not too worn. And you were lovely. (you thought the alligator joke was an old familiar joke? :)...ok you had to be there people and know my reputation). BTW did you meet Phyllis? I don't remember....I spent the whole evening trying to find out how you keep a blonde in suspense :thinking: :idontknow:

It was a fun evening and if I get anymore pictures I will post them here. Thank you so much for the compliments. I am a street singer who was working with Broadway talents :)

Beverley Sims
07-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Amy and Lori, I think it is great that so many are breaking the ice lately.
There are a few social meetings that seem to have sprung up in the last year or so.
A sign of changing times?

AmyGaleRT
07-09-2013, 08:52 PM
The times have certainly changed for me, Beverley! A year ago I was still keeping that part of myself hidden from Sabrina, I didn't believe I'd ever go out into the world as Amy, and I'd never even heard of the Black Crown, nor of all the lovely ladies around here like Lori and Bree. Now, of course, Sabrina is accepting and even appreciative in some respects, I'm hoping to continue to get out as often as possible till cold weather returns, and some of those excursions out will be back to the Black Crown! And just maybe, I can be a source of inspiration to others, as Lori and Bree have been an inspiration to me.

- Amy

Kandy Barr
07-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Amy,you write very well. As I was reading your adventure I could visualize all the people who sat at your table, could almost hear Lori and the band, could even picture the mirror on the wall. Thanks for sharing your night out and showing us your pictures. We can only hope the times are a changing!