PDA

View Full Version : Ah, children, gotta love 'em

Ms. Laura
07-09-2013, 10:56 AM
So the setup is, my wife, 7 year old daughter and myself are chatting over dinner. Lately, I've been wearing a tank top because it's so hot and she has just noticed that guys have hair under their arms and was making fun of me. Telling me I look gross. (laughingly)

Mind you, she thought girls didn't grow hair there. We explained they did, but they shave it.

She contemplates this and says "Dad, you don't shave your legs do you?" Now, I don't, would like to, but don't. I said, "No, usually guys don't, but some do."

She says, "What, when they want to look like girls?" She's laughing at this point. My wife is trying to keep a straight face.

I said, "Well, some just like to, some doit for swimming or biking." I'm buying a bike today so my daughter and I can ride together so I added "Maybe I will since I'm going to be Mr. Biker now."

She says "Daddy, you are NOT shaving your legs!" I could only laugh.

After bedtime I said to my wife, "What when boys want to look like girls?" She said, "I had to bite my tongue to stop from saying, yes, and prance around in high heels and lipstick."

I said, "I don't prance.... much."

Stephanie47
07-09-2013, 11:03 AM
When my daughter was about five or six she saw a male bus driver with a long pony tail (beard, too). She almost threw a fit, stating men should not have hair long enough to put in a pony tail. My wife and I had no clue where is got that societal indoctrination.

Majella St Gerard
07-09-2013, 11:10 AM
My 3 year old grand daughter was over one day and I had on a pink floral skirt and a pink blouse, heels and pearls. she said "Papa you look like a princess"

kimdl93
07-09-2013, 12:31 PM
kids (and sometimes wives) do say the darndest things. But 7 is young and gender expectations are pretty binary at that age. With the open minded parents she's got, don't be surprised if, as she matures, she becomes more accepting of Dads who want to look like girls.

Chickhe
07-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Bit by bit, my daughter tells me of boy vs girl stuff and I always explain to her that its not always the case that things are for girls or boys and its just that some people decided that's what they liked and force it on others...a form of bullying. I tell her about other cultures and situations where people can share the same activities. We had a conversation at the art gallery over a 300 year old painting where the guy in it was wearing a wig and heels....I explained it was the fashion back then... ...she seems to get it.

Beverley Sims
07-09-2013, 01:13 PM
You gotta love kids, and remember their perception of life is very different to yours.

Camille15
08-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Great story Laura! I loved hearing about your wife's reaction.

I have a 3.5 year old girl, and could see similar conversations coming my way soon enough. The other day she asked me why boys don't turn into girls. I told her, "Because boys are boys and girls are girls. They stay that way. Just like cats don't turn into dogs". But of course in my head I added, "it's too bad they can't though". Boys that is, not cats. ;)

Camille

MadisonL
08-11-2013, 02:42 AM
That is pretty funny. There have been a few times over the past week that cding has been mentioned on tv or joking with friends. I notice my wife always finds it a little too funny.

Milli Montanari
08-11-2013, 03:36 AM
I was behind a counter once (in drab) when a mother with a toddler came up to be served and the toddler asked her mother, "Why isn't she wearing lipstick, Mummy?" If only!

JamieG
08-11-2013, 11:40 AM
I love it. We've had many similar conversations in our household, complete with my wife trying to avoid snickering and all. A few weeks ago, my 8-year old daughter saw me with my shirt off and said, "You need too shave those arms, Mister. That is gross."

Rogina B
08-11-2013, 03:31 PM
So Laura,why do you have hairy armpits and why don't you shave your legs if you want to? You could have answered her comments a bit differently in order to put a little diversity training into it.Down the line,you are going to wish you took advantage of every discussion opportunity as they set the foundation for acceptance in the household. Just my opinion,but one from experience on creating an accepting household.

giuseppina
08-11-2013, 07:41 PM
:heehee: Your daughter doesn't miss much, Laura. She will have you figured out faster than you think, if she hasn't already.

BLUE ORCHID
08-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Hi Laura, That story was priceless, I have so many fond memories of riding with my two daughters when they were growing up
they are both in their mid 40s' now and then riding with my grand daughter when she was growing up she's now 19.

Rachel Morley
08-11-2013, 10:07 PM
A few weeks ago, my 8-year old daughter saw me with my shirt off and said, "You need too shave those arms, Mister. That is gross."
RAOTFLMAO!!!! .... that IS so funny! :lol2: .. I really did laugh out loud :)

Ms. Laura
08-14-2013, 03:53 PM
So Laura,why do you have hairy armpits and why don't you shave your legs if you want to? You could have answered her comments a bit differently in order to put a little diversity training into it.Down the line,you are going to wish you took advantage of every discussion opportunity as they set the foundation for acceptance in the household. Just my opinion,but one from experience on creating an accepting household.

Well, actually I thought I did do a little diversity training. I answered in a clam, nonchalant fashion that people do different things for different reasons. It'll sink in. I don't want to browbeat or force an issue. My wife would also not go for an out and out stand on gender identity diversity.

I love hearing everyone's stories. Kids are great even if they can be a PITA!

robindee36
08-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Interesting story Laura. Being a bicyclist my legs are shaved during season, well, year round is more like it. No questions around the house, it just is. Been in crashes and it is a godsend to have clean legs for the medical folks to patch up. I can't imagine bandaging and taping over the hair. It would really smart come time to change the dressing. Wait a minute, it would be like waxing or, in my case, epilating ;)

Removing arm pit hair may be a bit foreign here, but when I lived overseas, it was a common place hygiene issue. When you perspire a lot, the pits don't get as funky. Or so I understood.

In any case, being pretty clean naturally, these little additions don't cause much of a stir around here.

Hugs, Robin

Marlena-4now
08-24-2013, 05:02 PM
She says "Daddy, you are NOT shaving your legs!"

Especially daughters, at lease mine were ( and still are ;-) ).

Cute story Ms. Laura. It reminds me of a somewhat similar incident with my youngest daughter when she was about the same age. We were on a summer vacation on the Cape. My wife had done my toenails for me in a nice shade of purple. I was wearing flipflops and as soon as my daughter saw them she asked "Dad, you painted your toenails ?!?" So I answered, " Mom, painted them, do you like the color " She kind of scrunched up her face at me and said " Boys aren't supposed to have nail polish ! You guys are WIERD !"....... Well, I guess she kinda got that right ! lol

Allison Chaynes
08-25-2013, 01:47 PM
I wish some of these comments were the least of my worries with my kids. My 7 year old told his grandparents, two uncles and uncles' girlfriends recently that "Daddy likes to have sexy with my Mom!" I'll never hear the end of that one. I sometimes worry about what would happen if he saw Daddy en femme since I am closeted...