PDA

View Full Version : Told my sister. With SURPRISING RESULTS!

docrobbysherry
07-09-2013, 11:17 AM
My 100 year old mother appeared to have taken a turn toward the inevitable last Friday. My sister drove into town. She, my ex, daughter and myself were at my mom's talking things over that afternoon. My sis heard me mention I was in LA earlier in the day picking up a lot of clothing from a studio auction. She asked why and what kind of clothing would I buy at an auction?:straightface:

I made a snap decision to tell her they were vintage women's clothes and who they were for. My ex and daughter already knew about my "hobby". But neither has asked any questions or knows any of the details about Sherry.:daydreaming:

My sister, on the other hand, lite up like a kid on Xmas morning! She asked a million questions. Wanted to see me dressed and even thot it would be fun to go out together!:eek:

Let me add, my over 60 y/o sis and I have never been close. Dating back to resentment over battles when we were kids. Suddenly, she says she thinks of me differently now and would love to hang out together like sisters!:hugs: There r just the 2 of us.

I thot she mite be accepting. But, her husband and my nephew probably would not be. Since they live hundreds of miles away, I never thot of telling her. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with a family member who is INTERESTED IN and would like to PARTICIPATE in my dressing!:brolleyes:

Lorileah
07-09-2013, 11:23 AM
awesome! Yay!:bighug::clap:

2B Natasha
07-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Woot Woot!

Good for you.

Is t funny that the thing we fear the worst is never as. Bad as we think.

Alexis.j
07-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Wow, that's totally amazing! See, you are coming out, one person at a time... Wish I had a friend/family member to dress/go out with! Treasure her, lol

PS, Sorry to hear about your mom.

Julie Bender
07-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Oh my gosh *bounces excitedly like a kid on Xmas day!*
I'm so happy for you! A new beginning with your sister aaaand a BESTY! You just got you a besty girl friend have fun!

Chickhe
07-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Maybe she remembers forcing you to wear her clothing when you were kids....she wins! ...but seriously, its a nice problem to have, except she sounds like she might spill the beans just because she is so excited.

Beverley Sims
07-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Sherry,
You can handle it, I have confidence in your judgement.
You need to team up with her more closely though.

kimdl93
07-09-2013, 12:28 PM
wow, Sherry, this has to be a real turn of events for you. On pretty much every level, its a great thing to have an enthusiastic, supportive sibling. But I understand that its a big change, potentially, in the nature of the relationship. Perhaps the two of you will really have a better relationship as sisters. Then, of course, what if she wants to go out with you to the mall, for lunch, or whatever - that will be another big change for you. How do you feel about it?

ps. I'm sorry to hear of your mother's failing health. By any standard, 100 is a ripe old age and a full life. My mom passed last fall at 96. I still miss her, of course, but she went out as she would have wished. I hope the same will be true for your mother.

Chari
07-09-2013, 12:32 PM
From experience - please be cautious, as your sis may turn your "hobby" into a huge humiliating moment for you! I was comfortable with my "hobby" letting only a few know of my feminine side, and told my secret to (I thought) a close family member. From that moment on most family members have rejected/disowned me and my chosen life style. Good luck to you.

4mymichelle
07-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Sherry,

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I know how it can be after just recently losing my father. I am glad for you that the conversation with your sister had a surprise result. Something I guess you really didn't expect. I wish you all the best for becoming closer with her.

Hugs,
Michelle

Princess Grandpa
07-09-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss!

I'm very happy for the potentially new relationship with your sister. On your terms!

You should be proud! It had to be hard to do.

Hug
Rita

Tracii G
07-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Sorry about your Mom Sherry.
Yay on the coming out with your sister that is awesome!!!

Rogina B
07-09-2013, 05:04 PM
As I said before,I am liking you a whole lot more! Let your sister lace you up! put her to work helping make the photo shoot happen easier!

SarahLynn
07-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Sherry I am so pleased at this new relationship with your sister. Age does refine ones relationships if given "time". Like the others I am greatly saddened by your loss. I too had to come to grips with the loss of both my mother and later my father. My dad (the sperm donor) is still alive but i have lost my father. Losing both was a serious blow to my well being. I hope you get through this with the least bit of hardship. It sounds like you will given you have re-aquired a sister. Love to you both.

SarahLynn

Miss Trudy
07-09-2013, 05:34 PM
That is great Sherry! Sisters are awesome to have, especially accepting ones. I know when I told my sister way back when she was a bit apprehensive but we have grown closer as sisters and love hanging out together. Enjoy her company and friendship, family is to treasure! :)

BTW Both my sister and I are north of 60 as well!

Diversity
07-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi Sherry,
Please accept my condolenced for the loss of your mom.
With regard to your sister, I think that it is great news! Go for it and perhaps it will build a much closer relationship between you and your sister.
Good luck!
Di

Kandy Barr
07-09-2013, 05:37 PM
That is just totally cool Doc. I'm sure you'll figure a way to nourish the relationship and heal old wounds, as sisters no less!!! lol

Aly Cat
07-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Thats awesome! It sounds very similar to when i told my sister. When i told her
She said....OMG! I wish i had known when we were kids. I could have bought stuff for you and covered for you if mom and dad found the laundry! She has been amazing and if i could go back in time, i would tell her. Life would probably be very different today if i had. Isnt it awesome when family accepts it and wants to be involved in a positive way?
Im so happy for you!

AmyGaleRT
07-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Wow, Sherry! What great news! You and your sister may have some opportunities for female bonding in the future!

I don't know if I'd get an enthusiastic reaction like that from any of my brothers (I have no sisters). One, however, who is gay, happily married, and lives with his husband in California, might understand.

- Amy

Jennifer Kelly
07-09-2013, 09:05 PM
My sister and I are very close, but my family is very traditional and she is no exception. I don't think she would react in this manner. How awesome that yours did though.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. :(

MysticLady
07-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Hi Sherry

I'm sorry to hear of your Mom. 100 years old! Wow. She has lived a complete lifetime. As for your sister, that's wonderful news. Who's knows, she may have always wanted a sister and gave you a hard time for being a brother instead. It's exciting to wonder what will become of this new found relationship. Keep us posted, Girlie.

ArleneRaquel
07-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Wonderful news concerning your sister. Thank you for sharing.

Jason+
07-09-2013, 11:20 PM
I thot she mite be accepting. But, her husband and my nephew probably would not be. Since they live hundreds of miles away, I never thot of telling her. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with a family member who is INTERESTED IN and would like to PARTICIPATE in my dressing!:brolleyes:

Glad to hear it went that way with your sister. Of the above mentioned individuals you now know which one to invite out for a tasty adult beverage!

Amanda M
07-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Marvellous news! Take care of Mum, but donĀ“t forget yourself.

Jenn868
07-10-2013, 02:11 AM
this is just so great! i am so happy for you and i can not wait to hear about your girl's night out with your sister. much love and respect girl friend!

Tina B.
07-10-2013, 11:10 AM
That's great Sherry, my mom is 94, and I know as she gets closer to that time, it seems to bring me and my only surviving sibling closer together. Sorry too hear about you mom, but it's good to see you and your sister coming closer, if it was me, I think maybe I would start her off with a picture or two, and see how it goes!