PDA

View Full Version : Places to get dressed

Kirsty
07-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Here is a question for you all :)

I am going to a Tri-Ess meeting on Saturday and while the venue has a bathroom
I can use to get dressed etc, it is not well lit and it is uncomfortable to be in there
for a long period of time trying to get makeup on etc. I feel like I am in the way.

Aside from going to my work (I have a key and no one will be there on Saturday night)
does anyone have any ideas? Especially very cheap ideas :)

Thanks

Kirsty.

joank
07-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Motel 6? Cheap and lots of privacy. Othrwise, you say you are alone at work? Change there.

pedalpusher
07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
For makeup work on it in the car sweetie...i do it all the time....

Lynn

Jamiegirl1
07-10-2013, 12:30 PM
I change in my truck and do my makeup in the rear view mirror...you just use what you have and make the best of it!!! I use multi-purpose cleaning wipes(come in a plastic tub) and keep them in my truck....for getting all my makeup off....use a spray cleaner/degreaser on a paper towel to get nail polish off.....

Deedee Skyblue
07-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Maybe some of the other members would split the cost of a cheap motel room with you? You could make it a regular occasion.

Deedee

dragdoll
07-10-2013, 04:51 PM
The really big hotel resorts have public restrooms all over the place, some even have outdoor facilities. I've been using those lately, no one ever says anything and no one seems to notice or care.

marlenesexton
07-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Cheap motel is probably the best place I can think of. Not to many ways to rent private space with the stuff you need. Maybe a small storage unit but no water or facilities and might be technically illegal to use in that capacity.

linda allen
07-10-2013, 04:59 PM
I would not change at my workplace under any circumstances. You don't know for sure that nobody will be there and you don't know for sure that there are no security cameras around. Or that the police won't just happen by on routine patrol just as you are coming out of the building.

I'm not so sure about hotel restrooms unless you are staying there. And which one would you use?

A cheap motel is probably best. Don't put it on your credit card if there's any chance of someone seeing your statement that you don't want to know about your dressing. A wife would probably think you took a woman there.

dragdoll
07-10-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm not so sure about hotel restrooms unless you are staying there. And which one would you use?

The really big resort type hotels that are really spread out and have shops, resturaunts, bars, ect that are open to the public. The ones that you can go to without having to stay there. Most of these have a bunch of restrooms with large mirrors, sinks in the stalls, plenty of lighting, and hardly anyone using them. No hotel employee has ever said anything to me, and if they did I would just tell them that I'm meeting someone at the bar or resturaunt. A lot of these places have public events, conventions, ect and get all kinds of freaks coming and going, so they're not going to care about someone changing clothes in one of the many bathroom stalls.

sherri
07-10-2013, 06:41 PM
A cheapy motel is an ideal solution, specially if there's good lighting in the bathroom. Air conditioning and room to lay out all your stuff is really nice too, plus the luxury of being freshly showered and shaved. But that said, I've made the old switcheroo in my car a gazillion times. I like to stop at the rest area on the way into the city, but I've also used parking lots etc many times with no problems. You develop a system pretty quickly. A few tips:

Give yourself plenty of time so you don't get all stressed. This is supposed to be fun. Makeup and dressing don't take me much longer in the car than in a motel, but finding a suitable location can add a few minutes.
Decide what you're going to wear ahead of time and make sure everything's ironed and in order. Pack a backup outfit in case a button pops or a zipper breaks, or your mood changes. Have your jewelry in a separate little bag. Have your purse packed as much as possible. Brush and style your wig ahead of time.
If it's summertime, try to park in the shade!
Things will go a lot smoother if you're organized. I have a special gurl suitcase that holds everything I need for the evening. Once you've found a suitable place to park, lay out your makeup and stuff on the seat beside you before you start.
A lighted vanity mirror on the visor is just about mandatory for makeup at night. And nowadays, a flashlight app on your smartphone can come in handy too. If possible, doing some or all of your makeup in advance helps, especially the eye makeup.
If I can't do makeup ahead of time, I like to put on foundation, powder, blush and eye shadow before changing clothes so I don't get any on my outfit.
Try to minimize the time you are actually undressed. Being able to underdress to some degree before you hit the road minimizes the public nudity scenario. But if you can't don't let that stop you -- you can make the undies change in seconds. Just be aware of what's going on around you.
If there's any way you can paint your toenails in advance, do it! If you use press-on or glue-on nails on your fingers, do them last!
When I'm all done, I like to take a sec to repack the unneeded stuff and put the bags in the trunk so my car doesn't look like a tornado hit it and I can enjoy the drive. It also makes switching back at the end of the outing go a lot faster.

Sometimes Steffi
07-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Sherri

You must have read my book.

If you do it in the car, the main trick is to do as much as possible in advance. If you can underdress at home, do that. Also foundation and powder, but not lipstick or wig. And simplify. A lot of GGs sport nail polish on short nails now. Consider skipping the press-on nails.

Oh, and don't forget your boy clothes. I did once and it was touch and go to sneak back into the house.

Stephanie47
07-10-2013, 11:51 PM
I read some of your earlier threads. You have progressed since May. If your wife has come to at least an understanding of your cross dressing needs, I would recommend explaining your desires and needs to go to a support meeting. It would be a lot safer and a lot more comfortable for you to have some degree of privacy while dressing and undressing for the meeting. If she acquiesces show your thanks by getting a sitter for your boys and taking her on an overnight trip or at least a nice date. You indicated you and her do not have much of a social life. Treat her nicely. And, when doing so don't bring any cross dressing ideas along,

nikitataylor0210
07-11-2013, 12:29 AM
A cheapy motel is an ideal solution, specially if there's good lighting in the bathroom. Air conditioning and room to lay out all your stuff is really nice too, plus the luxury of being freshly showered and shaved. But that said, I've made the old switcheroo in my car a gazillion times. I like to stop at the rest area on the way into the city, but I've also used parking lots etc many times with no problems. You develop a system pretty quickly. A few tips:

Give yourself plenty of time so you don't get all stressed. This is supposed to be fun. Makeup and dressing don't take me much longer in the car than in a motel, but finding a suitable location can add a few minutes.
Decide what you're going to wear ahead of time and make sure everything's ironed and in order. Pack a backup outfit in case a button pops or a zipper breaks, or your mood changes. Have your jewelry in a separate little bag. Have your purse packed as much as possible. Brush and style your wig ahead of time.
If it's summertime, try to park in the shade!
Things will go a lot smoother if you're organized. I have a special gurl suitcase that holds everything I need for the evening. Once you've found a suitable place to park, lay out your makeup and stuff on the seat beside you before you start.
A lighted vanity mirror on the visor is just about mandatory for makeup at night. And nowadays, a flashlight app on your smartphone can come in handy too. If possible, doing some or all of your makeup in advance helps, especially the eye makeup.
If I can't do makeup ahead of time, I like to put on foundation, powder, blush and eye shadow before changing clothes so I don't get any on my outfit.
Try to minimize the time you are actually undressed. Being able to underdress to some degree before you hit the road minimizes the public nudity scenario. But if you can't don't let that stop you -- you can make the undies change in seconds. Just be aware of what's going on around you.
If there's any way you can paint your toenails in advance, do it! If you use press-on or glue-on nails on your fingers, do them last!
When I'm all done, I like to take a sec to repack the unneeded stuff and put the bags in the trunk so my car doesn't look like a tornado hit it and I can enjoy the drive. It also makes switching back at the end of the outing go a lot faster.

These are awesome tips. I use almost all of them, but I gathered them over time.

Did the car-change last weekend, it took a wee bit longer because I changed in the car as well, (zippered dress with a little string et al !). All in all, it went very well, and thankfully it wasn't a very hot night so I didn't melt. I turn the A/C on and keep the car running in case its really warm.

heatherdress
07-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Send a message to the Tri-Ess leader or the members who are attending. Often you will find others who either live nearby or who might let you change in their hotel rooms.

Jenny CD
07-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Uhm... I hate to be the bad influence on your changing. But, it seems like your and most of the rest of us get a kick out of the changing experience as a whole. Changing and makeup hiding in terror in the car? No thank you. I dress and change in the privacy of my home, then I leave. I really don't care if a neighbor sees me. It's none of their business what I'm doing or who's coming and going from my home. And, why go through all the trouble of dressing in your car just to "sneak" back into your own home? I know, I know, I know, that most of us are terrified of going out. But, if you really want to... The only person stopping you is YOU.

Lynn Marie
07-11-2013, 03:51 AM
An inexpensive motel room is without a doubt your best bet. Changing in public bathrooms or your car is simply a recipe for disaster. This is a big step for you, do it up right.

bridgiit s
07-11-2013, 04:10 AM
best get dressed at home and just let people think what they like i guess..... i started just with nail polish then other make up then added a wig, next came leggings which feel real good then last of all girly tops to go with the leggings, i only wear heels if visiting a friend or doing coffee with a friend in town. found it easy to be a guy buying ladies clothes but the first time i was CD buying clothes felt uncomfortable
i just had to develop this at my own pace and have changed, like over the years i used to bin my clothes and make up every now and then but now i wear it most of the time :-)

vanitysumers
07-11-2013, 04:16 AM
Lydia's IN NORTH HOLLYWOOD CALIF had lockers that had 24/7 access WITH MAKEUP MIRRORS AND A BATHROOM.

sadly its gone after more then 10-20 years now some people just use very cheap run down hotel/motels in the area.

there are some for less then $30.00

Kirsty
07-11-2013, 07:51 AM
Thank you all for the great tips, it's funny suddenly having this tiny bit of freedom
after hiding for so very long, there are all these things I never thought of.. needing
a purse or handbag to put things in while out, where to dress, what kind of wig etc.

I have a temporary solution that I didn't even think of (well until last night :) )
there is a theater group I am involved with and in the summer there is very little
going on there (most of our audience goes back up north in the summer). The person
in charge (who knows about Kirsty, and is totally supportive... even letting me borrow
items from the wardrobe) said I can use the facilities to get ready!
It is a largeish place with multiple bathrooms with locks etc... Plus it being Theater
on the off chance that someone does come along... an actor in drag... so what LOL.

I will bring up the idea to the rest of the group about splitting the cost of a hotel room
though as I know one other girl who was complaining about the same thing last month.
The car will probably work once I get the hang of the makeup, right now I'm still
trying to get it right and that's a big frustration for me.

Home is a no go. Aside from my wife saying No... I have a 14 year old that I am not ready to explain this to, we rent and our house is across the street from the
head of the Neighborhood watch... coming out dressed as a woman may do nothing
but having a roof over our heads is not something I am willing to gamble with.
Right now our neighbors really really like us as we are quiet and keep the house looking nice, they even made a call to our landlord to tell her how much they liked us being there.

Again thank you for all the tips, underdressing, packing etc it makes a difference having
others to learn from, and hopefully this thread will help others too :)

Kirsty

Princess Grandpa
07-11-2013, 08:09 AM
If you have access to the theatre that is a reasonable answer. Of course it's not as fun as sharing a room with a couple sisters. You know giggling, laughing, fighting over the mirror.
Have a great outing!

Hug
Rita

linda allen
07-11-2013, 08:49 AM
The really big resort type hotels that are really spread out and have shops, resturaunts, bars, ect that are open to the public. The ones that you can go to without having to stay there. Most of these have a bunch of restrooms with large mirrors, sinks in the stalls, plenty of lighting, and hardly anyone using them. No hotel employee has ever said anything to me, and if they did I would just tell them that I'm meeting someone at the bar or resturaunt. A lot of these places have public events, conventions, ect and get all kinds of freaks coming and going, so they're not going to care about someone changing clothes in one of the many bathroom stalls.

Changing clothes and doing makeup in a bathroom stall is not a big improvement over doing it in a car. And there's still the question of which restroom to use. You're a male when you go in and a female when you come out. Vice versa at the end of the evening.

Malls and some other places have "family" restrooms where you can go in, lock the door, and change clothes or do your restroom business if you don't feel comfortable using the ladies restroom, but the risk here is being unfair to others by tying up the room for fifteen minutes or more while families with small children wait outside.

linda allen
07-11-2013, 08:52 AM
........... we rent and our house is across the street from the
head of the Neighborhood watch... coming out dressed as a woman may do nothing
but having a roof over our heads is not something I am willing to gamble with.
Right now our neighbors really really like us as we are quiet and keep the house looking nice, they even made a call to our landlord to tell her how much they liked us being there. ..........

I don't think you can be thrown out of your home for being a crossdresser, but I understand your not wanting to be known as "the crossdresser down the street".

Kirsty
07-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Hey Linda,
Yeah that would (hopefully) be some kind of discrimination case,
but I'm sure they could come up with some other reason or excuse. Like you
said "The crossdresser down the street" is not something I want to be known as,
it's not that I'm ashamed, it's just that people lack of understanding leads to them
making huge leaps and before you know it my son's friends stop coming over etc.

Kirsty

meganmartin
07-11-2013, 11:52 AM
I have the same issue most times
but what i do because my wife is concerned about me leaving home dressed.

I put on my clothes and makeup no lipstick and no nails.
The wig is on the front seat of the vechicle in the garage as i leave put on a guys baseball cap and guy sunglasses.
Leave about 5 miles from my home there is this self serve car wash that has a car wash you can pay 4 bucks and go thru the wash tunnel. While the car is in the tunnel i put on my lipstick and wig and off i go..

Now one time when doing that a guy was washing his car and watched me go in a guy and come out a girl...the expression on his face was priceless.

pedalpusher
07-11-2013, 12:03 PM
I have the same issue most times
but what i do because my wife is concerned about me leaving home dressed.

I put on my clothes and makeup no lipstick and no nails.
The wig is on the front seat of the vechicle in the garage as i leave put on a guys baseball cap and guy sunglasses.
Leave about 5 miles from my home there is this self serve car wash that has a car wash you can pay 4 bucks and go thru the wash tunnel. While the car is in the tunnel i put on my lipstick and wig and off i go..

Now one time when doing that a guy was washing his car and watched me go in a guy and come out a girl...the expression on his face was priceless.

Yes I have seen that expression from a few while taking drives in my car dressed. Recently was seen one evening dressed pretty skimpy having trouble with my car! PRICELESS

Kirsty
07-11-2013, 12:09 PM
That's funny! What's funnier is that I actually timed someone going through when I was getting gas once
with that thought LOL But I had no idea which wash he choose :)

Beverley Sims
07-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Kirsty,
I think the bathroom is the better option there will probably be others in the same situation.
Why not do it at home?
Is it difficult to get out?

Kirsty
07-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Hey Bev,
Dressing while she is at home is verboten :) and she is always at home lol

I have the theater company that I am part of to use, at least until Winter when the snowbirds are back and our season kicks in,
right now there is nothing going on there.

I might try and see if I can convince my wife to let me use the garage... in exchange for getting it cleaned out :)
If I can find a way to lock the door from inside the garage it should protect me from interruptions, plus with the car inside
the Garage I should be able to Dress and Zoom :)

pedalpusher
07-11-2013, 02:19 PM
You can master dressing in the car very easily dear! Go for it

dragdoll
07-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Changing clothes and doing makeup in a bathroom stall is not a big improvement over doing it in a car. And there's still the question of which restroom to use. You're a male when you go in and a female when you come out. Vice versa at the end of the evening.

Malls and some other places have "family" restrooms where you can go in, lock the door, and change clothes or do your restroom business if you don't feel comfortable using the ladies restroom, but the risk here is being unfair to others by tying up the room for fifteen minutes or more while families with small children wait outside.

It is a huge improvement over doing it in a car. I'm not talking about some cramped, dimly lit gas station restroom here.

The one's I use are men's rooms have at least 5 sepearate stalls with plenty of room, lighting, and HUGE mirrors and sinks. Best of all, no one else ever comes in. There is never any risk of being "unfair" to families with small children or others, as there are enough restrooms with no one waiting.

And someone else mentioned self-service car washes. I've used these many times, how could I forget. Also, 24-hour laundromats were a favorite of mine. 9 times out of 10 they're empty, and you can dump your bag of clothes out on a counter like you're sorting your laundry, change in the bathroom, finish your make-up, ect and go.

SometimesDiana
07-11-2013, 03:24 PM
When I'm on the road, I use a portable lighted mirror by Jerdon. Rather than tying up the bathroom at Tri-Ess, you might be able to sit at a table with a mirror. One tip about lighted travel mirrors... they aren't very bright. I added a couple extra lights to mine.

I actually have a complete travel "kit" for when I get dressed at a hotel or a friends house. Everything fits inside of one organized crate. In just a couple of minutes, I can setup shop just about anywhere.

Sometimes Steffi
07-14-2013, 10:23 PM
I totally forgot about my best solution. My community center has meeting rooms for rent at the unbelievably low price of $6 per hour. I usually bring my own makeup mirror, but last time, I even got one with a bathroom.

NathalieX66
07-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Tri Ess, motel rooms, and pizza........been there/done that. I remember those days. All good memories.

I attended Sigma Nu Rho chapter of Tri Ess in New Jersey for a while. The best two experiences was
One: being dragged into the hotel lobby bar where there was a lot of military folks in army fatigues ( from Fort Dix/McGuire Air Force Base) , and they just didn't give a shite. In fact they chatted us up.
Two: going to an all night diner with my Tri Ess sisters. The restaurant staff always treats us like gold since we're regulars. I haven't been there in a year but I still cherish those days. One thing about New Jersey is we have these all night diners where you can order hamburger and steak, and pancakes, waffles, and bacon & eggs, at any given hour of a day or night,.....24 hours a day.

linda allen
07-15-2013, 07:06 AM
I think that most people who rent out homes wouldn't care if they are renting to a crossdresser as long as you're a good tennant, keep the place up, and pay the rent on time. I have friends who own and rent out houses and they have a hard time finding good tennants.

Now a room in somebody's home might be a different story.

linda allen
07-15-2013, 07:15 AM
................. I put on my clothes and makeup no lipstick and no nails.
Leave about 5 miles from my home there is this self serve car wash that has a car wash you can pay 4 bucks and go thru the wash tunnel. While the car is in the tunnel i put on my lipstick and wig and off i go.............

It would seem that if your car is in the garage, you could get completely dressed, get in the car, open the door and drive away. Get as dark a tint as legally allowed on your car windows if you wish. Coming back home might be an issue as you don't know if someone is standing in front of your house waiting for you but if (unlike me) you live on a through street, you could just drive on by.

If you're going to change in the car, there's no reason to pay for a car wash, just go to a large shopping center or mall, park away from the other vehicles but where you have a good view of anyone approaching, and go to it. I've done it several times. You can "deconstruct" the same way.

Lacyfem
07-15-2013, 08:52 AM
If your work is safe and no security cameras or security around you can peacefully dress and put your makeup on there as you're familiar with the location. It takes time to put your makeup on right and then your cloths and you'd be a lot more comfortable than in a car which would not be my first choice. Motels and hotels leave a paper trail you might not want to deal with depending on how you pay for them. Dress at work and then off you go. I'm just comfortable with this answer as I have dressed at work many times once everyone has gone without any problems.

robindee36
07-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Kirsty, The ideas of underdressing to the greatest possible extent are solid. Been there done that. Makes it much easier to just swap out jeans and a t-shirt for a skirt and top. The makeup is my main issue. Difficult enough without adding the complications of being cramped in a poorly lighted vehicle. Can't imagine what my limited skills with makeup would yield under that circumstance.

Fortunately, there are several venues around that cater to a girls night, providing space to dress, do makeup, etc. Just older girls like me also tend to bring our magnifying mirrors to help get the eyes and lips on straight ;) There are usually a few steady hands around to help with the eyeliner and mascara, my too most challenging areas.

Love all the suggestions this thread is producing. Will certainly take some on board.

Hugs, Robin

sherri
07-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Work places without security cameras are getting pretty scarce, and just because you can't see them doesn't mean they're not there. I just assume that if I'm anywhere in public nowadays, I'm on camera. And I tried a public bathroom stall once -- I would have to be totally out of options before I'd go through that again.

I don't find getting ready in a car difficult, uncomfortable, slow or risky. It's actually kinda cozy -- my own secure, private space, climate control, some nice music playing, everything I need right there, maybe a little evening breeze if I crack a window. Once you do it a time or two it becomes second nature. But Robin Dee is right, lighting for makeup is key once the sun goes down. And ditto the eyeliner thing. If you don't have a good illuminated vanity mirror in your car, you need an alternative. I wonder if someone makes one you can plug into DC?

kellytea59
08-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Malls that have Family bathrooms are a resource that I use over and over. Both for going to the bathroom and when I am not with a female that I can check the bathroom for me.

Danitgirl1
08-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Some VERY useful contributions here.
Thanks all much appreciated.
Dani

Sometimes Steffi
08-31-2013, 10:18 PM
Uhm... I hate to be the bad influence on your changing. But, it seems like your and most of the rest of us get a kick out of the changing experience as a whole. Changing and makeup hiding in terror in the car? No thank you. I dress and change in the privacy of my home, then I leave. I really don't care if a neighbor sees me. It's none of their business what I'm doing or who's coming and going from my home. And, why go through all the trouble of dressing in your car just to "sneak" back into your own home? I know, I know, I know, that most of us are terrified of going out. But, if you really want to... The only person stopping you is YOU.

No, the only person stopping me is my wife.

Work places without security cameras are getting pretty scarce, and just because you can't see them doesn't mean they're not there. I just assume that if I'm anywhere in public nowadays, I'm on camera. And I tried a public bathroom stall once -- I would have to be totally out of options before I'd go through that again.

I don't find getting ready in a car difficult, uncomfortable, slow or risky. It's actually kinda cozy -- my own secure, private space, climate control, some nice music playing, everything I need right there, maybe a little evening breeze if I crack a window. Once you do it a time or two it becomes second nature. But Robin Dee is right, lighting for makeup is key once the sun goes down. And ditto the eyeliner thing. If you don't have a good illuminated vanity mirror in your car, you need an alternative. I wonder if someone makes one you can plug into DC?

I always wondered if I could use a computer battery backup system. That has an inverter to provide AC, And if you had a makeup mirror with LEDs instead of incandescent, it just might work.