PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for those Walmart managers!

Sandieland
07-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Ok, I went to a local Walmart today in drab to shop for a little bit of everything. As I was checking out tops, bras, panties, etc. I noticed a guy in a white shirt and tie standing a few aisles down. He wasn't looking at anything and there were no other shoppers around. He was just standing there. You could see I was actually shopping as I had a basket full of stuff at that point. Well, after about 10 more minutes I knew by then that he was following me...and that he was a manager. I cannot tell you how this made me feel. Like I was being looked at as some kind of pervert. I wanted to confront him but, instead, I quickly left to check out before I had gotten all I wanted. I just wanted out of there! Should I have confronted him? Should I have dumped all my stuff and left? I get looked at from time to time and I really don't care, but this particular time I felt humiliated. Advice girls?

Kate Simmons
07-12-2013, 03:57 PM
I would have asked if I could help him. Put him on the spot.:)

boink
07-12-2013, 03:58 PM
My approach is to just try and ignore anyone like that. They're not worth my time.

Plasibeau
07-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Not only should you have confronted him, I think you should file a complaint with corporate. He's supposed to be the one you talk to if you have a problem with an employee. He was out of order following you around like some common criminal, especially if you had done nothing more suspicious than shopping for a pair of panties. I personally have a really low tolerance of shenanigans like that when shopping. If I haven't asked for your help you have no business hovering whilst I shop.

sarahcrossed
07-12-2013, 04:26 PM
they may have had problems with people stealing merchandise in the past. He was prolly trying to catch you stealing or something. or maybee he is a crossdresser to and couldnt bring up the courage to talk to you. As long as your not breaking the law then there is nothing to worry about. but that is easier done than said. when i go shopping i become a ball of nerves.

ArleneRaquel
07-12-2013, 04:29 PM
About 1-2 years ago my (then) Bf and I went to Key West, Florida, and among the places that we visited was a female clothing store, mainly casual stuff. I was enfemme and we were following around the store by one of the attendents. in KEY WEST OMG! My BF drove the both of us down to Florida and Atlanta was a pleasant surprise.

Nikki A.
07-12-2013, 04:29 PM
I would have asked him why he was following me or at the very least put in a protest with corporate. You are a customer and are buying. I'm beginning to get a little tired of walmart and I find myself trying to avoid shopping there and deal with the local stores whenever financially possible.

Sandieland
07-12-2013, 04:33 PM
I have to go back to the same store later to return some items that didn't fit. I'm going to shop some more and if this happens again I am definitely going to confront him.

famousunknown
07-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Ok, I went to a local Walmart today in drab to shop for a little bit of everything. As I was checking out tops, bras, panties, etc. I noticed a guy in a white shirt and tie standing a few aisles down. He wasn't looking at anything and there were no other shoppers around. He was just standing there. You could see I was actually shopping as I had a basket full of stuff at that point. Well, after about 10 more minutes I knew by then that he was following me...and that he was a manager. I cannot tell you how this made me feel. Like I was being looked at as some kind of pervert. I wanted to confront him but, instead, I quickly left to check out before I had gotten all I wanted. I just wanted out of there! Should I have confronted him? Should I have dumped all my stuff and left? I get looked at from time to time and I really don't care, but this particular time I felt humiliated. Advice girls?

it's all in your head.

Jorja
When you notice this type of behavior simply walk up to him and before he realizes what is going on, grab him by the balls and squeeze while asking him what his problem is.

Now mind you, this will probally get you banned from walmart for life. It may even result in jail time. But.... you will never have that feeling of being looked at as some kind of pervert ever again at walmart.

Stephanie Miller
You really could have played this one to the hilt. After making sure you could identify him you should have beat feet to the customer service counter and asked them to page the manager because you have been made to feel VERY uncomfortable by a STALKER! :eek:
How is anyone to know that you weren't looking for items for the S.O.? No law against shopping.

AllieSF
07-12-2013, 04:39 PM
That happened to me once when I first started going out en femme, i.e. my presentation was not the most refined! We went into Niemen Marcus to go to a small restaurant over looking Union Square in downtown San Francisco. We walked into the store and then began the slow escalator rides from floor to floor to get to the restaurant. While going up, I noticed a man in a suit always one floor below us. I knew he was store security. When we got to the restaurant it was unfortunately closed so we did the reverse trip with the same man tailing us. After a while he disappeared to my relief. If that happened today, I would have asked him where the pantie department was. He was only doing his job, but I would have preferred that he was doing it elsewhere.

Jenessa
07-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Tried to respond but the stupid 30 min timeout kicked in so I lost it all. But Plasibeau pretty much said the same thing.

Tracii G
07-12-2013, 04:54 PM
I have been watched in drab in the ladies dept at WalMart by security or a manager maybe who he was for sure I don't know but an employee none the less.
Had a cart with some auto and grocery items at the time.
I had selected two tops and had them in my cart and saw him watching me.I asked if there was a problem to which he said no. I asked you should have seen in the grocery section there was an older lady stealing canned goods I guess you missed that watching me.Have a nice day and continued shopping as he walked away.

jarts55
07-12-2013, 05:09 PM
I can't shop at WalMart for feminine things. Wife works there and they all know me. If it's not someone that works there it's someone I work with.

I love how you deal with things, Tracii. Just spit in their eye.

famousunknown
07-12-2013, 05:10 PM
When you notice this type of behavior simply walk up to him and before he realizes what is going on, grab him by the balls and squeeze while asking him what his problem is.

I seriously doubt you would have done this had you been in op's position.

Annette Todd
07-12-2013, 05:22 PM
White shirts are loss prevention associates. Managers are most usually found wearing blue. While not an absolute, I would say your watcher was LP. As long as you pay for your stuff, just give him a wave and wide grin next time. :rofl:

Annette

Wildaboutheels
07-12-2013, 05:24 PM
..."standing a few aisles down".

How many aisles or feet is a few aisles down? And how do you KNOW for a fact that he was a manager? Were you close enough to read his badge? Sounds like IF you are looking around to see if anyone is watching YOU... it's no wonder someone wearing anything might be watching you.

I know when I am shopping in any store regardless of mode, I am NOT looking around to see if anyone is watching me...

jackie_p
07-12-2013, 05:24 PM
I think you should just walk up to him and politely ask if there
Is something you can do to help him. Put the ball in his court. Then
If he gives you a reason, then go to customer service and file an
In store complaint and get the contact info to file a complaint with
Corporate, preferably with the manager standing there. That should
Cool his attitude.

stephNE
07-12-2013, 05:34 PM
A few years ago a similar thing happened to me. I was in drab, and in a hardware department and noticed a guy at the end of the aisle and he seemed to be watching me. So I walked over fairly close to him, stopped and just stood there. He moved a couple aisles over and took a new position where he could watch me, so I moved over closer to him again and just stood there. We did this another time and eventually he asked if he could help me. I said no, I was just shopping. He walked away, but I'll bet he circled around and took up a new position to watch. I put all my stuff down, I left, and haven't ever been back in that store.

WandaRae2009
07-12-2013, 05:39 PM
That happened to me once in sears store. two SAs started cleaning up the racks close to me, and followed me to another rack, so I just left. They lost a sale that night.

Jorja
07-12-2013, 05:52 PM
I seriously doubt you would have done this had you been in op's position.

You don't know me very well.

LoriFlores
07-12-2013, 06:00 PM
I would just say no to WalMart:
Shame on Walmart! (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ralph-nader/walmart-dc-living-wage-bill_b_3588380.html)

mikiSJ
07-12-2013, 06:15 PM
The Mikey part of me would have me walking over to him with my loaded basket, handing it to him and saying I would have bought all of this stuff today if it weren't for some really perverted individual watching me as a I shopped.

Eryn
07-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Tried to respond but the stupid 30 min timeout kicked in so I lost it all. But Plasibeau pretty much said the same thing.

Just check "remember me" when you log in. It will still forget you when you explicitly log out but it won't time out on you.

Now, on to the topic. That was a loss prevention person, one who wasn't very good at his job. If he had been good you wouldn't have noticed him. Wal-Mart doesn't get much quality for the pay they offer.

As you go to higher level shops they don't use loss prevention people because the clerks attend to you continuously.

alisha-marie
07-12-2013, 06:39 PM
loss prevention nothing more. They follow eveyone all the time. They were also watching your every move on camera also..

STACY B
07-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Maybe he was one of us ? Maybe he wanted to see what you were buying an get some fashion advice from you an you Slipped out without even saying a word !! How RUDE ,,,lol,,,

Sandieland
07-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Jorja, will you post my bail if I do what you say? I am ex-army and could put some real hurt on him if needed. (LOL)
By the way, have I said how gorgeous you are?

Jorja
07-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Sorry Sandie, sqeeze at your own risk and expense. :D:devil::heehee:

Thank you for the compliment. I am sure you are lovely as well. ;)

Jennifer in CO
07-12-2013, 07:04 PM
I have a family friend that is an LP for wallyworld. You will never know them - they look and dress just like any other customer, just wired.

kimdl93
07-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Write to Walmart and complain. And then never shop there again!

Ashley Lyn
07-12-2013, 08:11 PM
wasn't a Manager and not AP (Asset Protection)..
Managers wear blue 95% of the time, and AP 'blends in'..
Coulda' been one of us, curious what styles you were buying!!!
Don't slam Walmart on a whim....

BLUE ORCHID
07-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Hi Sandie, I had a problem like that once and I walked over and said, Is there a problem he just got a little red in the face said on no and walked away.

Stephanie Miller
07-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Wait! I just thought of another! :devil:
Should have walked up to him with some of the intimates and said something like "Well theres no use wasting your time just watching me -might as well be usefull. Here, hold these up next to you so I can stand back and see if they are what I want." :rofl:

NathalieX66
07-12-2013, 08:23 PM
That's terrible.
If he got near me and started breathing down my neck , I would just have simply said "can I help you?"

In other words people should MYOB.......ya know, right? There's no need to mention your true intentions. It's nobody's business.

We all deserve our personal space, it doesn't matter what we do, what we shop for, what clothing department, or why.

Annette Todd
07-12-2013, 08:38 PM
I have a family friend that is an LP for wallyworld. You will never know them - they look and dress just like any other customer, just wired.

I have delivered to wm stores for 4 years. It's true they often wear street clothes and not a uniform. I have on several occasions encountered them wearing white polos or button shirts. If they saw you on camera looking around while handling merchandise they would have marked you as suspicious and gone out to follow so to be close if you shop lifted. If it had been something else they wouldn't have stood to watch but swum by from time to time to look you over better. Come on y'all you're reading way to much into this. :doh:

Annette

Julie Gaum
07-12-2013, 08:44 PM
As was already said he wasn't likely to be management and LPs try to blend in attire-wise. If you have it happen again do what was suggested --- ask him if there's a problem. If it's the same guy and he identifies himself as possibly an assistant manager then ask for the name and phone number of his District Manager as you will get faster action than going to corporate which is about three rings higher on the ladder. Once you have made your purchase the duties of security has ended so if he is still following you then it's time to go back to the service desk and ask for a security officer immediately.
Julie

Farrah
07-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Wow!...I never experienced a problem in Wal-Mart..However, I'm sorry about your bad experience.:(

Leona
07-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Hah, Sandie, I've done that to an LP associate before. It was in Sears, when I was working for a particular shop that only does brakes (e.g. my really crazy year). I had a friend of mine with me (coworker, bearded and rough looking, well we were all rough looking). I said something like "Look, if you're just going to watch and make sure I don't steal anything, you may as carry these wrenches, 'cause they're flipping' heavy". He agreed and swore he wasn't watching me, but then followed me around. I walked him through camping, make up, and lingerie, stopping to look at *something* in every aisle. Of course, that wasn't enough for us, so we spread random crap throughout the store while he was following us. Someone at some point found a bra hidden in a sleeping bag, I'm sure, and the poor LP guy never noticed any of it. When we finally got back to tools, after chit-chatting the whole time and him swearing up and down he was a regular sales associate that worked in tools, I started interrogating him about every little tool (I know more about automotive tools than your average SA, and I know how much I can expect your average SA to know). When he turned out not to know jack, I said "You're not really a sales associate, are you?" And he said "No, I'm in Loss Prevention." "So you *were* trying to catch me stealing?" "Yes, I was".

Then I took out the pair of panties I nicked when he was red-faced in lingerie and said "I won't tell anybody you failed if you won't" and just left without buying anything. My buddy was cracking up the whole time.

After we got back to his house, we discovered that one of the items he prank-stole, he'd forgotten to give back. I don't remember what it was, but his roommate (also a coworker) thought it was cool and took it.

We did end up trying to pay for it on our next run (we both had a few craftsman tools, so we were in Sears once a month or so), but since we didn't know the SKU, the SA couldn't ring it up, and they'd discontinued the model, so we couldn't find one in the store to use for the ring-up.

~Joanne~
07-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Don't slam Walmart on a whim....

Especially when you can slam them for so many other things lol

On topic, I was looking at hosiery once and had a LP looking at me thru the bras on the next isle. He kept jumping up to look over the top of the rack to see what I was doing. Little did he know I moved around the corner to face him while he pretended to look at bras. I asked him if he found what he was looking for and he walked away lol

Every store pretty much has loss prevention. there's really no way around it. Just do your shopping and pay them no mind. As long as your taking it to the register that's all that really matters.

for the record, My SO and I went shopping once and had a LP couple following us. I twent up to one of them and told them "here, push my cart" she said "what?" I said "since your going to follow us all night, you might as well make yourself useful". didn't see her after that ;)

famousunknown
07-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Come on y'all you're reading way to much into this. :doh:

Agreed. Get over it.

Niya W
07-12-2013, 09:39 PM
I would of made sure the guy saw me, then I would of picked up my phone and acted like I was calling the police. Yes I'm in walmart and this guy is stalking me. He is licking his lips. I think he is going to assault me.

Taylor Ray
07-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Happened to me last year. I still remember his face because he followed me out the door. As I mature, things that once affected me start to no longer matter. Maybe he is just a human being doing his job and is too young to understand crossdressing. Just smile and say hi. The smallness is in his corner, not mine.

Ineke Vashon
07-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Not in defense of Walmart, but recently I tried to take a product, in the shaving dept, off a peg and found it locked to it. I called an 'associate' who unlocked it. At my surprise she said you'd be surprised how much people try to get away with stealing stuff daily at Walmart.

Nevertheless.........

Ineke

Stark
07-12-2013, 10:37 PM
I loved this story and many above it - bring on more "store"-ies! :)

Sandieland
07-12-2013, 10:40 PM
The only thing I can say after seeing the wide range of replies to my post is "wow, this must have hit a nerve". Thanks for the responses, even the ones that weren't supportive. The experience actually made me more sure of myself.

donnalee
07-13-2013, 12:05 AM
I find that people who are given a little authority (sales counter, rent-a-cop, sub-sub manager of inconsequential things etc.) without having experienced it to any degree before tend to abuse it, sometimes to a great degree. I have no respect for these dangerous imbeciles, other than their potential danger and their need to be stepped on before they become more dangerous. Blithely walking away is irresponsible to this leech's next victim as is saying "oh, well", s/he will learn with time. The damage that can be done during this "learning curve" can be horrendous.
Jorja, you are my hero!

ErinSassyPants
07-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Wait! I just thought of another! :devil:
Should have walked up to him with some of the intimates and said something like "Well theres no use wasting your time just watching me -might as well be usefull. Here, hold these up next to you so I can stand back and see if they are what I want." :rofl:

I vote for this one!

I also think it's interesting how intensely some are sure that this was not how it felt to the OP. Sure people can be over sensitive but I don't see any reason to assume with any surety that the OPs gut wasn't right.

rachel_rachel
07-13-2013, 12:31 AM
I would have considered upturning the basket onto the floor and walking out..
There's no need for that type of thing, You're the reason why they get paid, weirdo or not as they might perceive.

Loni
07-13-2013, 12:50 AM
should have walked over to him and said hold this for me a sec. then walk away leaving him holding a bra or panties on a hanger😂

FeliciaCDSNJ
07-13-2013, 12:57 AM
I use to work for walmart, hate the place, and thier lp watch everyone. Plus a lot of the managers are morons, wouldn`t fret over it.

BRANDYJ
07-13-2013, 03:02 AM
I have worked in retail for a number of years off and on. If you knew what a problem theft is in big box stores, you'd understand that this guy was just doing his job. It's not just Loss Prevent employees that watch you, it's every sales person's job to watch customers to be sure they are not stealing. I have had to watch customers myself as a department manager in a large hardware store where I was manager of the sporting goods department. We always tried to be discreet as we kept an eye on those that might look suspicious to us. But it is our job to keep theft to a minimum. Personally, I'd approach some of them and ask if I can be of any assistance. You usually can tell by mannerisms, demeanor or other signs that they are up to no good.
Theft in all stores cost all of us a ton of money each year. I can't fault a store that is trying to minimise it.
I admit, I'd be put off, unnerved and feel uncomfortable too if I was shadowed like. Especially if I was shopping in the ladies department. I never got mad. If it bothered me, I'd just leave and think nothing of it.
Sorry, I can't agree with anyone that thinks this guy was wrong to watch you. Again, he was doing his job.

I hate Walmart too. Worst thing that ever happened to the retail industry.they put many smaller mom and pop stores out of business. Low pay and regard for their employees. Unfortunately, I do shop there at times. I mean, where else can I buy coffee at 2 AM when I realize I'm out. But I do my best to shop elsewhere.
I saw a feature program about them on Discovery Channel. They interviewed the CEO. What an arrogant, uncaring idiot he is. When asked why they did not pay their people better, his answer was brief, he basically said, "We don't have to."

joanna4
07-13-2013, 03:20 AM
Similar thing happened to me last year at CVS. I was buying eyeshadow that had the buy one get one half off deal. I noticed a man dressed in black confronting a man who was carrying boxes of goods near the entrance presumbably waiting for the best time to make a run. I don't know for sure. As he was confronted by the man who is either a security or cop who had a badge, I was watching them as the confrontation went on and then the man dropped the items and left. I thought it was over, but it was not.

The security approached me and said he had to talk to me, he told me that I had 3 guys watching me on camera and that I looked suspicious. I was scared and pulled out my CVS car and told him that I am a customer and he said if I needed any help he would get an associate for me and then shook my hand. I was scared, bitter, and angry. I bought my make up and left. I saw him at the cashier but he did not acknowledge me. I called the store number on the receipt to complain about the incident which they seemingly ignore.

If this ever happens again, I will use more words in the store and on the phone and speak to the store manager as well as file a complaint with corporate.

I've revisited the store twice since the incident and I returned proudly en femme. You should try the same when returning.

Faye56
07-13-2013, 05:42 AM
I have often shopped in the local Tesco store and have found the best approach is to be as at ease as possible , how many women shoppers look around to see who is watching them ? . I have only ever had one slightly bitter experience and that was in a Asda store who are affiliated with Walmart and that was more someone ignorance than the stores fault.

I would just say , get back into the store and be the most important person to them ............ The Customer !!!.

Write and complain if you feel uneasy about doing so in person , but you must let them know your feelings .

alice clair
07-13-2013, 06:05 AM
I have not been in a walmart for 7 years. I will never go to a walmart. I prefer JC Pennys and K Mart. I have shopped both and the so,s are helpful and very polite about letting me try on clothes, no matter what I bring to the dressing room.

Ellie52
07-13-2013, 06:32 AM
I love the stores that have self service checkouts. In Oz there are quite a few stores (K mart for one) using self service now so you can buy what you want without having to hand it to anyone. Its a lot more relaxing. I bought 3 x nubras which i never would have done if I had to hand the to a checkout chick...Ellie

SherriePall
07-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Hey, don't worry about Wal-Mart. They don't see how good you look in those outfits you buy like the government does when you post pics here.

linda allen
07-13-2013, 08:11 AM
You really could have played this one to the hilt. After making sure you could identify him you should have beat feet to the customer service counter and asked them to page the manager because you have been made to feel VERY uncomfortable by a STALKER! :eek:..........

Yes, this person was stalking you. You have no way of knowing he was a manager unless he was wearing a sign. I would have confronted him and asked him what his problem was.
Instead of confronting him, you could have called the police.

This sort of behavior is not uncommon but it's usually in the small "Mom and Pop" stores. I had a black male co-worker years ago and he told me that every time he went in a Korean owned store, the owner would follow him around. I gave him the same advice I posted here; confront the person and demand to know why you're being followed.

Several people have posted that the guy was "just doing his job". Well, is his job to harass customers and make them feel uncomfortable? Do stores feel that everyone who enters is a thief or criminal? The've already put radio tags on all the merchendise so you can't leave the store without an alarm sounding (we, the customers pay for this BTW).

For a time, some of the stores had a person stationed at the door and after you stood in line at the register to pay for your purchases, they made you stand in another line while they rooted through your bags and checked everything against your reciept! I was often tempted to not wait in the second line, to just bypass that person and walk out the door, but never did. What could they do, arrest me? They seem to have stopped doing that in my area.

All of this is just another good reason to shop on the Internet and stay away from local businesses.

Lacyfem
07-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Having been in Walmart and bought many a panty, bra and other nice femmie things I've never had this problem. However, if you post the question online "where do you get most of your lingerie from" so many will say Walmart as it has to be the number one cd store as the prices are right and they always have a great variety and change and add new things all the time. So I'd say that Walmart knows that they have a lot of us in their stores and really should welcome us. That said perhaps this person who you thought was a manager could have been interested in you as a cd and not as a thief. Your cart if loaded with nice femmie things would be a give away and certainly he didn't expect you'd just roll it outside without paying. My guess is you may have had an admirer and take his following you as a compliment.

PretzelGirl
07-13-2013, 09:49 AM
I tend to be more passive. I am out to enjoy myself and get what I need. Would I confront someone like this? Yes, as choice #2. I would return things or turn over my cart as it inconveniences me as I have to start all over somewhere else. But you can make them know that you either tagged them as a Loss Prevention or a creep. Hold up your phone and take a few shots. If they continue following, doing it again. I suspect creeps would be long gone as they don't want to be identified. Maybe some LP would leave because they aren't suppose to get ID'ed. So you are firmly left with LP that is persistent and doesn't care if they are seen. Then you only need to worry if you are actually doing something wrong, otherwise continue shopping!

Rebecca Watson
07-13-2013, 11:47 AM
This really sounds unpleasant. Being followed around so blatantly would be unsettling, even if you weren't shopping for ladies undergarments. I could imagine equal discomfort from a genetic girl being watched buying undergarments. Nevertheless, the path chosen here is probably the most realistic. Just move on with life. I'm hoping some of the suggestions proposed in earlier responses are mostly in jest, or are purely hypothetical. As far as I'm aware, this hasn't happened to me (I didn't even know these people existed until this thread).

- Becky

MichelleTea
07-13-2013, 11:51 AM

Beat me to it :)

Dusty815
07-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Wherever I am, if I feel the service or products are bad or I am made to feel uncomfortable, I say you vote with your wallet (purse) and no longer spend your money in those places. There are several places that I won't go anymore because of this.

Launa
07-13-2013, 12:06 PM
You could look the dick in the eye and wait for him to look away then say, "man some people have eye problems and should see the optitan here in the store."

Beverley Sims
07-13-2013, 12:09 PM
I challenge them and if they are not condescending or pleasant I tell them I will file a complaint and ask for their name or identity.
I have always got positive responses from head offices of companies.
You do have to word your complaint carefully an state the "true" facts.

Jenessa
07-13-2013, 12:10 PM
I have worked in retail for a number of years off and on. If you knew what a problem theft is in big box stores, you'd understand that this guy was just doing his job. It's not just Loss Prevent employees that watch you, it's every sales person's job to watch customers to be sure they are not stealing. I have had to watch customers myself as a department manager in a large hardware store where I was manager of the sporting goods department. We always tried to be discreet as we kept an eye on those that might look suspicious to us. But it is our job to keep theft to a minimum. Personally, I'd approach some of them and ask if I can be of any assistance. You usually can tell by mannerisms, demeanor or other signs that they are up to no good.
Theft in all stores cost all of us a ton of money each year. I can't fault a store that is trying to minimise it.
I admit, I'd be put off, unnerved and feel uncomfortable too if I was shadowed like. Especially if I was shopping in the ladies department. I never got mad. If it bothered me, I'd just leave and think nothing of it.
Sorry, I can't agree with anyone that thinks this guy was wrong to watch you. Again, he was doing his job.

I hate Walmart too. Worst thing that ever happened to the retail industry.they put many smaller mom and pop stores out of business. Low pay and regard for their employees. Unfortunately, I do shop there at times. I mean, where else can I buy coffee at 2 AM when I realize I'm out. But I do my best to shop elsewhere.
I saw a feature program about them on Discovery Channel. They interviewed the CEO. What an arrogant, uncaring idiot he is. When asked why they did not pay their people better, his answer was brief, he basically said, "We don't have to."

The problem is that statistically, most stuff walks out the back door, not the front. Employee theft overall is far more significant the customer theft.

donnatracey
07-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Really? I would like to see the stats that back this up......

Elle1946
07-13-2013, 03:21 PM
They don't know who you are buying for, could be your mother, not likely, girl friend or wife. Let the other people figure it out. Ain't none of their business.

Claire Cook
07-13-2013, 04:16 PM
should have walked over to him and said hold this for me a sec. then walk away leaving him holding a bra or panties on a hanger
:haha: Or you could ask him "I'm looking for a 36C Playtex 18 Hour bra, could you help me?"

Julie Bender
07-13-2013, 04:23 PM

Same here but I'm gg and I am creeped out by guys following me around so in the open store loud and clear "hey there can I help you ? You seem to be following me!

Leona
07-13-2013, 08:50 PM

The motivation of the guy is what matters. The fact that he was completely tactless is certainly an issue, perhaps a reason he shouldn't have that job.

But motivation matters. Was he profiling based on prejudice? That's discrimination. Consider your statement in the context where the only reason an LP associate is following a customer is because of their ethnicity. In this particular case, the white elephant in the room is was he profiling because it was a man in drab filling up a cart with women's stuff? Now, when it's me, I pick up the items and hold them to my body to size them and stuff, so it's OBVIOUS who I'm shopping for. I've even done the "put the bra on loosely over my clothes" thing. I've had customers leave the area when they saw me doing that, and that's a bit annoying, but I still don't know if they were repelled by me or if they were just done and their leaving was coincidental to what I was doing. I've also had SA's ask if I need help finding something, and one in particular told me a particular bra looked good with my eyes, but even they usually stay away when I'm with my wife. Those SAs may have been on LP duty for the moment, admittedly, but at that point they were doing their job correctly.

So if we assume the motivation was prejudiced profiling, then the guy was completely wrong to do that. If his motive was pure, he was just tactless. Either way, a polite rebuke would have been appropriate.

Paulacder
07-14-2013, 05:01 AM
The best defense is a good offence. I would have walked over to him and asked, is there something wrong?, I'm sure this question would catch him off guard.

Jaymees22
07-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi, Another thought, you stated you were in drab, maybe he thought you were cute, but was a little shy and didn't have the nerve to approach. Which created an awkward moment for you and him. When I was younger occasionally gay men would try to pick me up, I always said "no thanks" Hugs Jaymee

Stephanie47
07-14-2013, 11:23 AM
I suspect the man was part of loss prevention, however, with poor training in being stealthful about it. I think most informs LP people would be sufficiently trained to recognize an older man buying women's undergarments is probably a cross dresser. I'd be more prone to scope out the cosmetic aisles where the teenagers hang out.

Recently I was exiting a local big box variety store and observed a young male dash out of the garden section with six or more pairs of pants under his arm. He hopped into a vehicle that was waiting for him. The car drove to another part of the parking lot instead of leaving the lot. I wrote down the license plate number. Then, the car moved further away with it headlights aimed at the store. The driver turned the lights off and on when another male exited the store to let him know where he was parked. Obviously, it was a crew ripping off the store. I went back into the store and told the "mini" manager what I saw, including a description and plate number and the exit the person used, so the security camera tape could track him through the store. What was the end result? I don't know! I'm sure the supposed LP person at Wal-Mart, so engrossed with an older man buying women's clothing, would never suspect the older man was a nice distraction while his cohorts made off with the high priced stuff.

Julie Gaum
07-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Sorry but I have to chime in: First, it's highly unlikely that this man was LP for several reasons. Mode of dress is usually meant to blend in
wearing jeans, sport shirt or whatever. There is one possibility of deviation however as in recent years a higher economic level of shoppers
frequent Wal*Marts these days so he could have been wearing shirt and even tie to make like one of those shoppers. However motivation
if he were an LP has nothing to do with it as by staring and being obvious is definitely not in their traning manuals so, yes he should be fired if he were an LP. Chances are that the motivation was for a reason we can only guess. I agree that he should have been peacefully confronted and a picture taken. The method followed in most large stores is that one or more employees man monitors of the entire store. Then, when something unusual is spotted they alert by phone to the floor plainclothes people to observe and follow to be sure that the object(s) are not dropped on the way out, for if the suspect does drop and then detained for even 3 minutes it becomes unlawful in every state. By the way the best LPs are women so they make up the majority of security. According to the last annual Security report put out by the Mass Retail Institute, and by all previous reports, internal theft by employees usually averages more than 7 times the loss by shoplifters! By the way, and this is sad but true, one of the major reasons that WAl*Mart became the major shopping place for over 60% of the public has to do with preventing unionization. With the exception of Wards and a few other non-union chains that folded or were swallowed up due to mismanagement, the unions understandably fighting for higher wages caused their demise. Yes, Wal*Mart does have the lowest margin of profit and the lowest average retail prices due to being able to paying the lowest wages. Right or wrong them's the facts.
Julie

Chickhe
07-14-2013, 11:48 PM
...since he works there, you could have gone up to him to ask him all kinds of questions about the panties you were buying... sir, can you tell me if these come in, other colors, do you have this in a size 6... if he can't answer you ask him what he's doing working there if he isn't helping customers...

...or you can have a lot of fun by walking back and forth all over the store or following him around.

Allison Chaynes
07-15-2013, 01:26 AM
I would have run towards him yelling "We have a CODE BLUE in Housewares!"

Since we've opened that Pandora's Box, google "Fun Things to Do in Wal Mart." Many of them would be perfect responses to your experience!

DebbieL
07-15-2013, 01:43 AM

Actually, you should probably file a complaint with the store manager. This is a direct violation of Walmart's corporate policies. Walmart is aware of the importance of diversity and the diversity of their customer base. No customer should ever be made to feel uncomfortable while shopping at a Walmart.

At some Walmart stores, the after Midnight crowd is remarkably diverse, since in many smaller communities, it's one of the few times and places where transgenders can shop in safety and security with relative privacy and few if any hassles from other customers.

The typical Walmart customer spends about $5,000 a year at Walmart and just ONE jerk like that, stalking or intimidating the customers, could lead to the loss of MANY customers, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue. Given the size of Walmart, that may not seem like much, but every store manager is aware that those numbers come from lots and lots of people making lots and lots of purchase of $20 to $50 items. If you have a bad experience, you might decide to do all your shopping at a competitor such as Target, K-Mart, or even the larger malls or the strip-mall chains. You might even make major purchases, such as electronics and small appliances at other stores as well.

Next time you are in the store, shop in the same section, and if your friend shows up, ask for his name so that there will be no question of who he is and that he has made you feel uncomfortable. You might even remind him of how much you spent at WalMart in the last month or year, and that you expect to be treated like a valued customer, not harassed like you were some sort of criminal.

linda allen
07-15-2013, 06:58 AM
I already posted my thoughts. but on reading posts after mine, the post about whipping out your phone and taking pictures of the guy (make it obvious) seems like a good suggestion for anyone who doesn't want to walk up to him and confront him.

If he's up to no good, he will turn away and leave. Even if he's working for the store, he will probably turn and leave.

Julie1123
07-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Maybe he's a crossdresser in denial and was self-consciously living vicariously through you? I kid of course but there could have been any number of reasons for his behavior. I think the best approach would be to say hello. Snap him out of whatever he's doing and see where it goes.

DeeInGeorgia
07-17-2013, 06:06 AM
Probably the safest and best is to go to the front and ask to speak to a manager. If he was the one they call, you could say "you had me worried you were stalking me" and if not him then tell the manager that comes someone is stalking you.

linda allen
07-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Actually, you should probably file a complaint with the store manager. This is a direct violation of Walmart's corporate policies. Walmart is aware of the importance of diversity and the diversity of their customer base. No customer should ever be made to feel uncomfortable while shopping at a Walmart.............

Debbie, I think you make some very good points. Many people claim they are too good to shop at Walmart or bitch about Walmart killing smaller stores, but most of them sneak off and shop there if they think nobody will find out. What Walmart has done is to find ways to bring products to consumers at lower costs than what they would otherwise pay.

And yes, the customer base is very broad and diverse. People of all types have to buy food and clothing and they can feel comfortable doing it at Walmart. Even the employee base is pretty diverse.

Walmart didn't get where it is today by driving customers away and I doubt they plan on starting.

I don't know how the OP determined that the man was a manager or even that he was watching her, but if she was uncomfortable in the store, going to the manager would have been the best thing to do. If it turned out to actually be the same person, at the very least it would be embarassing to him and he would have a lot of appologizing to do.

Syndi
07-17-2013, 03:18 PM
I hate when they do that at any store. I have been watched at Walmart and at other stores. Wasn't at Walmart but at another store I was followed by management or plain clothes security. Yes I had a few items of female attire and at one point tried some thing on in the men's area. Finally I got fed up and said " WHAT!!! You think I am going to steal?" Pulled out a wad of $20 that was for rent and said" I WAS going to buy alot today but I will take my business over to (competitor's name). Left him with a shocked look and walked out.