PDA

View Full Version : G & L softball team

Dana L
07-14-2013, 11:17 AM
A lady my wife works with is on a gay and lesbian softball team. They would like to get more men on the team especially with tournaments coming up. My wife mentioned it to me since I used to pretty good and I coached little league for several years. So my answer was "But I'm not gay". Her answer to me was "It's not like you have to prove it, besides being a crossdresser puts you in the LGBT spectrum". So I'm thinking I might just do it. My wife said just be Dana in drab, it might be fun. So my question is would this be right to do, or am I crossing some line of misrepresentation? It might be interesting since after the game they go to the LGBT bar that sponsors them.

2B Natasha
07-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I think you need to come clean to the manager of the team and let them know that you are not in fact Gay. Not the whole team. Just the manager or organizer. That you are a CD and that you believe you fall under the umbrella and would love to play. Heck. Go out and get a running or tennis skirt to play in, or at least offer it.

But don't lie to them by omission about how you fit on the team.

Just my $0.02

Kate Simmons
07-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Just so they don't cry "foul" if you happen to use your muscles to hit a "homer" Hon. Have fun with it.:)

Princess Grandpa
07-14-2013, 02:28 PM
My first trip to Hamburger Mary's we encounters three young people who were in town for a softball tournament. They were a part of a gay and lesbian team. The girl introduced herself and her boyfriend and their friend. He's straight but plays with them. You are going to form friendships here. You don't want them founded on a lie. Talk to the team manager. Get yourself a cute athletic outfit to play in and have some fun.

Hug
Rita

Leona
07-14-2013, 04:26 PM
I would tell them all I'm a CD and if that didn't fit their rules, to hell with them and their rules. :) If I wanted to play, that is. Softball isn't really my sport, though. But if I had friends already on a team asking me to play, I'd probably do it.

Dana L
07-14-2013, 06:15 PM
The lady my wife works with is also a friend of ours, so she knows I'm straight and actually asked my wife if I would be interested in playing. I would let the rest of the team know. Where my misrepresentation issue would be is with the other teams we would be playing against.

Badtranny
07-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Please don't say that because you're straight you might have some kind of advantage over the 'gay kids' on the other teams.

Leona
07-14-2013, 08:16 PM
The lady my wife works with is also a friend of ours, so she knows I'm straight and actually asked my wife if I would be interested in playing. I would let the rest of the team know. Where my misrepresentation issue would be is with the other teams we would be playing against.

The question is if having a G and L team also implies having a T team. If it does, then you're in the right place. If the team is not supposed to have a straight man, then you're in the wrong place. Is there a league rule requiring only G and L players? If so, does it include T, or even B? Basically, is it actually an LGBT team, or just L and G? Because if it's just L and G, you'd be on the wrong team.

Also, maybe the L and G is merely a preference of the team, not a hard and fast rule of either the team nor the league. If that's the case, then you can join.

As for misrepresenting, if you're playing as a T, you can easily represent, depending on what the uniform rules are. If only by putting your girl name on your shirt, you know. ;)

Rogina B
07-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Please don't say that because you're straight you might have some kind of advantage over the 'gay kids' on the other teams. I was thinking the exact same thing! So Dana.Do tell us WTF you meant by that!

Leona
07-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Rogina and Badtranny: I interpreted it as a man v woman strength advantage based on the presumption that most players in the league are women. Which completely ignores the point that women are perfectly capable of hitting homeruns and running the bases competitively, so the issue of male strength vs female weakness is again a crock of ummm, you know.

Princess Grandpa
07-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Please don't say that because you're straight you might have some kind of advantage over the 'gay kids' on the other teams.

I didn't read it that way as much as she's outside the league guidelines. Not that being straight would be an advantage but definitely outside the normal parameters. /giggle there's some role reversal for ya. The indication that being straight being an advantage wasn't there. But yes a bit of a misrepresentation could be.

Talk to the team coach. Get his opinion. Your just a player right? It's not like your a ringer coming in?

Hug
Rita

As for misrepresenting, if you're playing as a T, you can easily represent, depending on what the uniform rules are. If only by putting your girl name on your shirt, you know. ;)

Your girl name on the jersey, those cute little socks with the Pom poms put your forms on. /shrug. I would stay away from shorts or skirts unless there is a no sliding rule. /nod

Hug
Rita

Dana L
07-14-2013, 11:02 PM
I don't belive I'd have any advantage over them. My wife's co-worker's team just dosen't have many men on their team so she asked me if I was interested in playing. So I was concerned that it would be wrong if I were to play and not actually be gay.

Leona
07-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I was thinking shorts or skirts might violate uniform policy, too. But if you're going to slide, you don't want bare legs, that's for sure, and even a short skirt over pants (like the skirt over shorts that's often worn by tennis players) would give extra friction, making your slides shorter.

Dana L
07-14-2013, 11:14 PM
I didn't read it that way as much as she's outside the league guidelines. Not that being straight would be an advantage but definitely outside the normal parameters. /giggle there's some role reversal for ya. The indication that being straight being an advantage wasn't there. But yes a bit of a misrepresentation could be.

Talk to the team coach. Get his opinion. Your just a player right? It's not like your a ringer coming in?

Hug
Rita
I'm definately no ringer. I haven't played for years. I might end up getting it handed to me, who knows. Just thought it might be fun if it's not wrong.

Annette Todd
07-14-2013, 11:37 PM
I doubt you really have to be G or L to play in the league. Those things are more for social purposes than member criteria. I am more of a bowler and there are a lot of hetro That join GBLT leagues. Its more, as I say for the purposes of social identification rather than just saying coed softball.

You should probably ask but I doubt they will really care.

My $.02 in the till

Annette

Sabrina133
07-15-2013, 03:18 AM
two basic questions - can you hit the ball, can you field the ball. Yup, your in and welcome.

Having said that - isnt it interesting that there should be a sexual orientation definition for a softball team. Why isn't it just a softball team where all are welcome?

Rogina B
07-15-2013, 05:07 AM
Sabrina,Most L's and G's [to use the OP's terms] aren't in the closet.So,because they have friends,they tend to play well together as there are no unspoken sexuality issues. I think the OP is safe in that they probably shower at home afterwards,so she won't be tested! lol Play on their team and they will like you for it!

Sabrina133
07-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Rogina,

Thats a great point - i hadnt considfered that. Of course that makes the first part of my post even more important - can you hit the ball, can you field the ball?"

Taylor186
07-15-2013, 08:09 AM
A lot of social groups include membership of allies. The T-group I joined had maybe 20 members and two were allies only. In other words, not T but were supporters of the T cause. If they allow G & L allies to play you'll have no problem. Start running laps now!

Claire Cook
07-15-2013, 08:31 AM
My take is that you should definitely play, but as others have said be upfront about not being gay. Why do Dana in drab? How about getting a "Not Gay but Very Supportive" T-shirt? Pic is below, here is the URL: http://www.zazzle.com/not_gay_but_very_supportive_gay_rights_marriage_ts hirt-235265672312374470

robindee36
07-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Hi Dana. I suspect what we are talking about is the difference between sex and sexuality. Perhaps the dilemma is addressed well by a sign that hangs in the local TG friendly shop "I'm transgender, not gay" . Not sure everyone will understand the nuance, but the CD's here should appreciate the subtlety.

If you play in guy dress then folks may take you for gay, if dressed enfemme, convincingly, as lesbian. Since it seems you are neither, wear what's comfortable and have fun.

Just my personal take.

Hugs, Robin

Beverley Sims
07-15-2013, 09:40 AM
I played for a girls hockey and basket ball team in my time when I was younger.

suchacutie
07-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Am I misssing something? If you were actually asked by member of the team then just do it. Obviously you want to be polite as with any established team so that you fit in with the social as well as the athletic mix.

CD_blue
07-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Yes you should totally play I think it would be awesome.

Lorileah
07-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Since the league probably does not have orgies after the game, I don't think sexual orientation is really the issue. However it IS probably a way for gays to meet other gays who they may have a common interest (ie softball???). To answer the question of why it is a "Gay Lesbian" league, it is no different than an over 50 league or a bar league or a intracompany league. It is a social thing. Considering that there are probably many gays playing the NFL now I don't think strength is the issue (that and the fact that most gyms have a huge gay clientele). If there are rules on uniforms, follow the rules (I always thought it was strange that women wore shorts on collegiate and semi pro softball teams). Showering??? Really??? were you ever in High School? Straight guys are the ones playing the silly sexual games... It is a shower (see gym comment above)...there are others there, I don't think you will get hit on while showering and really, no one wants to see your "junk" anyway.

You were asked to join. You weren't asked to lie about your orientation. So many here complain that the G&L don't include the "T"s in anything and when you are asked you fear the worst? Join the dang team...have fun...meet new people.

And really when you played last on any team did you ask what they do in the bedroom? Oh bad example. straight guys like to brag about that.

BLUE ORCHID
07-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Hi Dana, Play dressed and tell them that you are a Lesbian guy.

suzanne
07-15-2013, 01:00 PM
The San Francisco Fog is a gay rugby club that makes a clear declaration of inclusiveness. Its website is here: http://www.sffog.org.I would guess quite confidently that most gay organizations of this nature are similarly inclusive.

Sabrina133
07-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Since the league probably does not have orgies after the game, I don't think sexual orientation is really the issue. However it IS probably a way for gays to meet other gays who they may have a common interest (ie softball???). To answer the question of why it is a "Gay Lesbian" league, it is no different than an over 50 league or a bar league or a intracompany league. It is a social thing.... Showering??? Really??? were you ever in High School? Straight guys are the ones playing the silly sexual games... It is a shower (see gym comment above)...there are others there, I don't think you will get hit on while showering and really, no one wants to see your "junk" anyway.

You were asked to join. You weren't asked to lie about your orientation. So many here complain that the G&L don't include the "T"s in anything and when you are asked you fear the worst? Join the dang team...have fun...meet new people.

And really when you played last on any team did you ask what they do in the bedroom? Oh bad example. straight guys like to brag about that.

All bow to the great Lorileah who once again, cuts to the chase :)

Eryn
07-15-2013, 04:28 PM
My feeling is that they call it "Gay and Lesbian" because "Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered" doesn't roll so trippingly off the tongue. They will likely accept anyone who accepts them. Ask the manager and you'll get the answer, but I'll bet it is positive. If it isn't, you really don't want to associate with them!

Rogina B
07-15-2013, 07:14 PM
I played for a girls hockey and basket ball team in my time when I was younger.
That is quite a statement! Were they very short of players...perhaps? This is about a diifferent situation and there is perhaps some feelings of being uncomfortable around others that are a different kind of different...

Kelly DeWinter
07-15-2013, 07:19 PM
In Baltimore you don't have to have feathers to play for the Orioles .

:ch:

Jacqueline Winona
07-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Rogina and Badtranny: I interpreted it as a man v woman strength advantage based on the presumption that most players in the league are women. Which completely ignores the point that women are perfectly capable of hitting homeruns and running the bases competitively, so the issue of male strength vs female weakness is again a crock of ummm, you know.
The second part of your post is mostly correct, but men do have a huge advantage in hitting home runs in slow pitch ball, just because they typically are a lot stronger in the upper body. I've played co-ed softball for years and have never played with or against women who could hit homeruns as frequently as power hitting men. It doesn't mean women can't play or aren't good hitters. Defensively the best women areas good as the men (better IMO at a lot of the infield positions), and as pure hitters they hit line drives as well as most men. But they just don't hit 300-330 foot home runs like male power hitters.

Back to the original question: If they know you're not gay, and don't care- then play if you want, softball is a blast. But its their team, and their rules, so make sure there isn't some internal rule that they may have re: who plays.

Leona
07-16-2013, 07:53 PM
The second part of your post is mostly correct, but men do have a huge advantage in hitting home runs in slow pitch ball, just because they typically are a lot stronger in the upper body. I've played co-ed softball for years and have never played with or against women who could hit homeruns as frequently as power hitting men. It doesn't mean women can't play or aren't good hitters. Defensively the best women areas good as the men (better IMO at a lot of the infield positions), and as pure hitters they hit line drives as well as most men. But they just don't hit 300-330 foot home runs like male power hitters.

No reason for me to disagree with that, since fundamentally it's the line drives, base running, and fieldwork that wins games. :) We're also not talking about pro sports, where players would work out for the purpose.

Not trying to digress into that discussion, but I have a hard time not having that discussion. :)

Rogina B
07-16-2013, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=Jacqueline Winona;3239402 But they just don't hit 300-330 foot home runs like male power hitters.

Back to the original question: If they know you're not gay, and don't care- then play if you want, softball is a blast. But its their team, and their rules, so make sure there isn't some internal rule that they may have re: who plays.[/QUOTE]
Yes,but the OP said it was a G and L league! Plenty of strong guys that so happen to like guys..OP didn't just say L and there certainly a lot of strong women that like women...

Jacqueline Winona
07-17-2013, 01:12 AM
I hope I didn't imply otherwise, Rogina- and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that some of the best power hitters in MLB, past and present, were gay. And I've played with tons of women who are gay as well as straight, there's no difference in playing ability based on sexuality. And Leona I agree, there's nothing wrong with being a great Linedrive hitter. :) Power does make the defense play a bigger field if you know what I mean, but a good hitter is a good hitter, and the best of each gender can play the game.