PDA

View Full Version : Newbies-This is why you go to MAC

Paula_56
07-18-2013, 06:49 AM
After two weeks of vacation and soaking in the sun, The foundation that I bought in Feb made me look pale as a ghost.

So on Monday I headed out to the Burlington Mall in Mass and stop at the MAC counter in Nordstroms for a match.

They were so awesome, I have been going to MAC for years mostly enfemme. I have always been treated so nicely.

I told the young SA I had an event to attend this weekend and had a lot to get ready to look my best. I told her about my tan and then showed her a pic on my phone of me enfemme.

She didn't even blink an eye

She proceeded to match me and then a older more experienced SA came over to help.

We talked makeup, and she asked what look I was going for and that evolved into a discussion about my cross dressing. I told them that I dress when on the road for business, and enjoy expressing this side of my self because I have always admired and respected women. I thanked them (MAC) for being so helpful to the transgendered community.

They really wanted me to be sucessful and look my best. It was funny I sensed an attitude of "Well if you are coming over to our side welcome, here's how it is done!"

The reason I take time to write this girls is because so many of you newbies seem to think you will not be received well at MAC. Believe me please they get girls everyday!!! GO ......GO NOW!

This is a picture from a MAC Makeover last Sept in Denver

Pantyhose Vicki
07-18-2013, 07:07 AM
I don't know if they do this at every Mac counter. I was at a local mall, and there is a Mac counter (section) there. I was chatting with an SA and was informed that if I purchase $50 of product they will do a makeover on me 'free'. They even have a guy that works there that has done CDs, drag queens, etc. I want to go and have it done, just need a good reason, such as a night out. I'd also like to do some cheesecake photos of myself beside my car, so pics beside my car then a night out with the girls & gurls.

BLUE ORCHID
07-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Hi Paula, Your pictures always shows a lady with that classic elegance.

Joann Smith
07-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Same here the girl at the Mac counter were super nice and did not bat an eye about me buying makeup there. The SA told me that the entire Mack line was designed specifically for DQs and that's why it works so well for GG. So by no means should any CD be concern about walking up and talking shop at the MAC counter...the only thing I would advise is that you bring a wad of cash cause MAC is expensive...

Sabrina133
07-18-2013, 09:01 AM
I would have to third the comment - MAC is great and the SAs are extremely professional. Certainly agree on cost but what the heck, we are worth it. ULTA is also very good.

Rebecca Watson
07-18-2013, 09:37 AM
I wholly agree! I've only done it once, but it was awesome. The lady who did my makeup simply "got it". I didn't have to explain my personal details, she just treated me like any other woman who'd be there. She was very helpful and explained all the basics, and I think it helped me subsequently apply my own makeup.

- Becky

Khaleesi81
07-18-2013, 10:15 AM
I've had good experiences there too- no fuss, just treated with a friendly professional demeanour like I'd want to be treated.

Beverley Sims
07-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Paula,
I think some "newbies" lack a tactful approach.
Your approach has to be friendly and inquiring, not "I know all about this what have you got for me?"

shawnsheila
07-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Paula, first of all you look great! And second, thatnks for sharing about MAC... I think I'm going to have to take a trip to a local MAC store now that you have shared that with me :)

Tracii G
07-18-2013, 11:26 AM
My experience at the MAC counter at Macy's was wonderful.
The SA's were non judgmental and very professional.
I asked a few questions while looking at different products and the lady said well lets pick out a foundation first the work from there.She asked was I more casual when I dressed or was I looking for a more evening look.
I showed her some pics on my phone and she said wow you look rally cute all dressed up.She made some suggestions and gave me some great tips.They were booked up on makeovers at that time or I would have it done.Did end up spending $250.00 at that time but the products are well worth it.

Debra Russell
07-18-2013, 11:29 AM
? when you go to get a make over do you go dressed? makeup and all, drab, dressed and no makeup - what would they prefer? Paula - what a great job you look so naturally femm - very pretty.........................Debra

Tracii G
07-18-2013, 11:45 AM
I asked that question and they said most will bring a bag with their femme clothes and change there.
The lady said it was up to me,she said some come dressed with no make up on just to make it easier for them to match the eye make up to the outfit.

Ceri Anne
07-18-2013, 11:57 AM
I've done the Mac makeover. It seems to make a difference if you go to a MAC stand alone store or a MAC counter in a department store. The stand alone store has more privacy, they can take you to a private room for you makeover so you are not interrupted by other customers. That was nice. The down side in my experience was I had to pay $50 at the stand alone store and got a "free" mascara. I loved the make over, but the mascara runs. The MAC counter in Macy's does the makeover for free with a $50 product purchase as stated above. And yes in both places I've been treated great. I still buy Maybelline for price and honestly, quality.

Jamie001
07-18-2013, 08:11 PM
I went to MAC years ago. PCs running Windows just don't compare. :heehee:

ossian
07-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Sorry for the newbie question. There is a MAC stand alone store in the city I live in. Do you call, tell them your situation, and then make an appointment? Also, since I have zip zero nada makeup in my possession, how much money should I budget for when walking in the door there? $200? Did you go en femme mode or in en homme mode?

Laura912
07-27-2013, 07:03 AM
At the MAC store in San Diego, they do both walk ins and appointments. You may want to arrange an appointment to make it easier for you. That way no standing around being uncomfortable. I managed to leave with about $400 worth of products and have enjoyed everyone of them.

Tina B.
07-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Oh sure Paula, they would treat you good, did you tell them you are not a GG, if not, from your pictures, I would say they didn't know.
I wish I didn't have to drive 200 miles to find a Mac store.

Stevie
07-27-2013, 03:03 PM
I understand what you are saying but I get very self conscious and fear takes over. Until I stop worrying what everyone around me thinks and start worrying about myself I'm just going to have to imagine what I would look like. The counters in my area seem a lot different than you described. Thank you for sharing that though. I will someday try again.

Alison Lewis
07-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Does anyone know if you have to buy $50 of products for a MAC makeover, or if you can just buy a $50 gift card?

Jodi
07-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Remember, these SA's behind the MAC counter work on commission. They will sell you anything that you want. Your money is green. A good SA will bend over backwards to assist a cd. She knows who will spend the money.

As said in post 16 by Laura, she dropped $400. Any SA will work diligently for sale like that.

We have nothing to fear, just shop and be prepared to drop some bucks. You will be a VIP.

Jodi

pamisme
08-03-2013, 07:36 PM
ok you goto MAC now what is mac? maceys, mcd, I am in OHIO. Not Mi

Andrea Renea
08-04-2013, 05:14 AM
MAC is a brand of Make-up sold in some large retail stores and stand alone stores in the US. (i.e. Macy's etc...)

Amanda M
08-04-2013, 05:24 AM
MAC is also available in the UK. If you want to find a shop near you, go here:

http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/locator/

Catherine Hopkins
08-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Making an appointment is probably the best plan.

As for budget. The $50 deposit will cover the makeover and if you wish to buy the products used, I'd budget something like $300 for the full range of products used. The technician will give you a full breakdown including a paper version of yourself, colored with the same products with an order of use.

MAC stores also do a lesson (think it costs $100) where they take longer to explain what they are doing, and have you do one side as they do the other.

Final top tip.

If you're lucky enough to have a MAC Pro store near (https://www.maccosmetics.com/macpro/locator/index.tmpl), go there in preference. They have some products not stocked in regular MAC stores or stalls.

Catherine Hopkins
08-04-2013, 07:04 AM
ok you goto MAC now what is mac? maceys, mcd, I am in OHIO. Not Mi

There's a MAC sub-store in Macy's Southern Park. The standalone stores are a little more discrete and the Pro stores are the best of all.

Catherine Hopkins
08-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Remember, these SA's behind the MAC counter work on commission.

Actually, they do NOT work on commission. They are salaried.

I was under this misapprehension too, but the manager in my local MAC store was at pains to point out, during a long girly chat, that they do not use the commission system specifically so that makeup choices and advice are based on what's best for the customer, NOT what's most expensive.

Raychel
08-04-2013, 09:45 AM
I bow to you that have gone to a mac counter and had a make-over.
Not sure I could ever do that, I truly envy you.