PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressers and the VA.

Sandieland
07-19-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm an Army veteran and get all my medical care through the VA. However, no one knows about my crossdressing - even my doctor. I would like to speak with a therapist at the VA about this (and my growing urge to become more female), but I first have to tell my doctor (to request therapy) and I don't know how this would affect my medical care overall. Does anyone have any experience with this within the VA system, and how they accept or don't accept crossdressers and/or the transgendered?

Lorileah
07-19-2013, 10:37 AM
government benefits would cover this for you. There are a few here who go to the VA dressed all the time

natalie_cheryl
07-19-2013, 11:44 AM
i talked with a therypist at the VA here in mass once an she was very accepting and more than willing to help me find someone in the network to be a more regular person to talk with it was nice to know that they are as accepting as they were. i haven't gone back yet but plan to

Leah Lynn
07-19-2013, 12:16 PM
I had a physical a couple weeks ago, and talked to the dr. about it. She made some calls, and now I'm waiting to find out when my appts. are. Yay, VA!

Leah

Sabrina133
07-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Hi Sandie,

Am also an Army Vet. When i got out of the service, i began to see a therapist and an endo through the VA. Just let your physician know you'd like to see a therapist and why. They will set you up.

Bree

BOBBI G.
07-20-2013, 04:50 AM
Your doctor will refer you. I know a couple transgendered women and have been told by them the VA also furnishes their medications and does the monitoring as well, all in house.

Bobbi

Allison Chaynes
07-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Get to know your local veteran's advocate office also, if your local VA is like mine, you might have a few people give you trouble about being TG. They can help deal with those people.

Sabrina133
07-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Good point Allison. I would agree Sandie, get your advocate on board early.

Kelly DeWinter
07-20-2013, 09:17 PM
I have go to the VA for checkups and have spoken quite openly, never had a problem or an issue. You should be fine.

Additional Info

After a bit of searching on the web it appears that although the VA does perform SRS for persons who are intersexed, as an exclusion to their no SRS policy. Medications such as HRT are covered under the perscription plan. and that if you have SRS and legally have your gender changed, THEN you are as a female entitled to Breast Augmentation as a VA benefit for females.

Additional info.

http://transequality.org/PDFs/VHA_Trans_Health.pdf