PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm Interesting

Aly Cat
07-21-2013, 11:14 PM
I saw this and thought it was interesting...

This is the first time shorts were worn in public by women. It drew a crowd of surprised men and caused a car accident... and we think we have it bad...

This is not all that long ago (1930s) and look how far women have come. There is hope for us as long as we continue to have those bold enough to stand up for what we want. We CAN make a difference.

Tracii G
07-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Holding hands too must be lesbians.

Carole
07-21-2013, 11:50 PM
No wonder the car crashed, there doesn't appear to be anybody at the wheel...............

Polka Dot
07-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Holding hands too must be lesbians.

Tracii,

Actually, there was nothing wrong with holding a same-sex friend's hand in public during that era. The way normal hetero people interacted in the previous 120 years was very different than we are now. I read an article which explains it nicely:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/07/29/bosom-buddies-a-photo-history-of-male-affection/

Princess Grandpa
07-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Women have fought long and hard to get what they have today. I read in a post recently something about the irony of how many of them would not now allow us those same freedoms. Things that make me go hmmm.

Not sure if the lesbian comment was serious or a joke. While its certainly possible they were lesbians I would think its much more likely they needed moral support. They are about to get arrested after all. Many of us know how hard it can be to just walk down the street.

That's assuming this Meme is in reality a shot of the first women wearing shorts. I'm pretty cynical. Anything found online is highly questionable.

Hug
Rita

Beverley Sims
07-22-2013, 11:11 AM
They are holding hands so they don't lose each other in the crowd. :)

Sandieland
07-22-2013, 11:26 AM
I've spent many years in Europe and am used to women holding each other's hands or walking arm in arm. Even men sometimes lock arms when walking. Sadly, Here in the US we have allowed the intolerant, ignorant minority to shame us into standing off from one another. Every action seems to take on a sexual connotation instead of simple affection for another human being.

Kate Simmons
07-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Evidently "cheescake" has always been pretty popular with the guys. Now when all eyes are on you, you can either try to hide or flaunt it.:battingeyelashes::)

Tina B.
07-25-2013, 08:43 AM
My guess is there holding hands, because they where stepping out doing something very bold, and weren't sure what the reaction would be, women call it supporting each other, something guys have trouble understanding!

Persephone
07-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Just for the record, I don't think it says they were the first women to wear shorts in public, rather that for these two women it was the first time they were wearing shorts in public.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Eryn
07-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Women were showing quite a lot of leg from the Flapper era of the '20s onward. The bumper of that car is remarkably undamaged, though they were made of spring steel back then. The young men seem to be enjoying the view.

Tracii G
07-25-2013, 04:46 PM
It was sarcasm ladies LOL As Dr Sheldon Cooper would say Bazinga!!

PaulaQ
07-25-2013, 05:06 PM
This is not all that long ago (1930s) and look how far women have come. There is hope for us as long as we continue to have those bold enough to stand up for what we want. We CAN make a difference.

I know! It only took 80 more years for over half the population of the most progressive country in the history of the world to gain near equality! At that rate, for us, it'll take, what, a couple hundred more years? ;)