PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing in central america?

clarita
07-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Hello,

I'm currently travelling in central america (up to Mexico) and I'm asking myself to CD.

So I'm looking for advices which countries/cities are more CD-friendly.
Didn't plan it beforehand and will probably have to do some shopping/hairdressing so also looking for places where it's safe to go as CDer.

Thanks for feedback

Clara

Tina B.
07-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Never been down there, but I've heard they are a very Macho society, so be sure you stay safe!

victoria
07-24-2013, 12:17 AM
I've been to Costa Rica and Panama and although the people are nice, I definitely would not cross-dress in either one of those places, or anywhere else in Central America for that matter. There are too many things that could potentially go wrong in my opinion.

Loni
07-24-2013, 12:42 AM
there are far worse places to not dress, but best to not dress in any of the old spanish countries. there macho customs and lack of civility, laws, etc, the out come might not be in your favor.
even in there courts of "law".

but then again it could be a great time of your life.

check out things first.

Rogina B
07-24-2013, 05:28 AM
If you have to ask,then you aren't ready to do it...I know everyone,that sounds like a mean answer. However,it is true. It is hot,dirty,and you have to be comfortable wearing "not much". If you have to wear too much of anything to feel presentable[makeup,clothing] people will wonder if there is a circus in town! Makeup and fashion are truly reserved for the more affluent city folks,not the 18 yr old Indian girl with 3 young kids in tow. You aren't going to pass muster to many,and most will never understand your presentation..The T population sticks to the large cities and tend to be out under the cover of darkness..If you are not a comfortable full time girl,you may not be at all comfortable in their mainstream world. And most importantly,the US government isn't really good at making friends,so there are lots of people in "powerful places" that don't understand the US at all. A simple directive like "if you see anyone suspicious who doesn't match their travel documents,hold em till we check them out",can wreck your travel plan.I don't know about you,but I know from experiences that having an automatic weapon in the hands of someone that is "guarding you" can be nerve racking!

BLUE ORCHID
07-24-2013, 06:16 AM
Hi Clarita, Be careful what you wish for because it may not end well.

Beverley Sims
07-24-2013, 06:48 AM
Orchid said it all.
Hi Clarita, Be careful what you wish for because it may not end well.

*Andrea*
08-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Being CentralAmerican I can tell you that it all depends. As in all countries it depends where you go, the reactions can be different. If you go to the good parts of the big cities then there is nothing to worry except many many people looking at you at worst.

The comments Rogina made about the documents and weapons, it's probably still true in Nicaragua. In the rest of Central America, Cold War is over and so guerrillas and military checkpoints.

I have not been out in my country but because you bump with people you know everywhere you go and it scares me. However I have a very good friend who regularly goes out in her Centralamerican country with no trouble or stares at all, but i would say she passes well.

I have seen men buying women shoes and trying them on in department stores. I buy my clothes in the stores, but do not try them on. But if you ask, you can have a person who does not care (they want to sell), or they will be surprised and say you can't (as it happened to me in Florida, but not in Chicago or Atlanta).

I would recommend using a hired taxi cab. No public transportation recommended. But not because you are crossdressing, but because there is a lot of theft on buses. Foreigners are evident and usually they bring valuables with them, so they may be even more attractive to steal from.

People here do not understand crossdressing. Genetic males who wear female clothing are believed to be gay working as drag queens. So very discrete attire is key. Society is still macho (women sometimes more than men, because it's convenient for them), but it is evolving very fast. All the people i have talked about my transgender situation has been extremely ok. I am the one who has been shocked by not having a weird reaction by anyone.

About make up, contrary to the comment above. When growing up, each time i had a lady give me a cheek kiss for greating (as it is the custom) i would feel as I was rubbed with a birthday cake. My perception is women wear makeup not to cover flaws or accentuate beauty (in my opinion the best make up is the one that is not obvious), but to show they are using every product there is. Of course, in the little towns in the rural areas people do not wear make up, but in the city no woman goes out of the house without makeup. I lived in the States and i could go to the supermarket in pijamas just after waking up. In Central America you have to shower and look good, since you will surely meet someone you know. Heels are better in the supermarket than flip flops. The opposite to the U.S.

Hope it helps. You just need to go to the good parts, look good but not be flashy.

Sheila11
08-04-2013, 06:24 PM
I am curious as to how you are traveling.

I have spent months traveling solo in central and south America in the last two years. I have never been in a position where I would feel comfortable to present in public. There are still military, federale, and local checkpoints in a lot of places. In Costa Rico I went through nine in one day. Your paper work must always be in order and unless you have a female pic on your passport you could be in trouble. I have felt safe 99% of the time but I do not do the party, bar, or club scene. Every horror story I have ever heard starts with two buddies in a bar.

It is a great place to travel but I leave hose and heels at home.

Rogina B
08-04-2013, 09:18 PM
"Trans" are painted with the "big brush" and "declared as Gay"..So,if there are haters[plural] you may feel uncomfortable.I have worked in Central and South America and agree on the taxi as being a better way..but still,in small towns,people just aren't familiar with Transpeople...