PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering about doing makeup

Sarah Beth
07-24-2013, 10:24 AM
I am a pretty shy person when it comes to my feminine side and I find this somewhat embarassing to say but I am terrible with makeup. My wife was not allowed to use any growing up and she hasn't been any help. (and while she is somewhat supportive at times she just doesn't get why I want to use it). I have tried watching the videos and reading the tips but just somehow I can't seem to get it to ever come out right.

I have noticed a lot of people on here from the Denver area which is 4 hours from me but a doable trip. I have also heard that there are people who will come to you and teach how to do your makeup and what to use etc. (i.e. MaryKay) Does any know of someone in the Denver, Colorado Springs area that would be willing to come to a hotel room and teach me.

I am not really prepared to go out anyway and do something like that. I feel sort of all alone in my pursuit given where I live being so rural.

Sorry if I rambled on a bit or if this is a crazy idea.

MsRenee
07-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Doing make up is never an easy challenge. Took me a long time to finally get routine down.
If your close to the Denver area give Studio Lites a call there and talk to either Chris or Rick and they maybe able to help you out.
Sorry I dont have their number there tho.
Renee

Annaliese2010
07-24-2013, 02:23 PM
I am a pretty shy person when it comes to my feminine side and I find this somewhat embarassing to say but I am terrible with makeup... I have tried watching the videos and reading the tips but just somehow I can't seem to get it to ever come out right....My advice? Be patient. Relaxed. Don't drink a lot of coffee. Have a steady hand. And a lot of time. Good lighting. And just go very slow. Buy a makeup remover pen to correct mistakes. In time it becomes natural and won't take very long. Applying makeup has a learning curve, like anything else. It's a skill that involves fine motor control. You'll get there! Practice makes perfect. :battingeyelashes:

suchacutie
07-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Good lighting, great mirrors, good products, and some research. It's not easy. When my wife was teaching me she quite literally took one product at time. First mascara, then eye liner, then foundation (I found primer by myself!), then powder, then blush, they eye shadow, then lip gloss. We never talked about bronzer or contouring so I've been working at those on my own, as well as dealing with eyebrows (about which I think I am still terrible!).

I hope someone has some Denver connections for you, but this does take time, patience, and focus.

AmyGaleRT
07-24-2013, 11:58 PM
If your close to the Denver area give Studio Lites a call there and talk to either Chris or Rick and they maybe able to help you out.
Sorry I dont have their number there tho.

Studio Lites is at 333 Broadway, Denver CO 80203. Their phone number is 303-733-7797. Their Web site is http://www.studiolites.com/.

I'm no real expert, so you probably wouldn't want me to teach you. ;) I will, however, share with you the resources I learned from. There's this page (http://nancywichmann.com/makeup_crossdresser.html) on makeup, and also this page (http://nancywichmann.com/shaving_crossdresser.html) on shaving. Beyond that, lots of practice, and, in some cases, following the directions on the package (as with my L'Oreal eyeshadow quads).

- Amy

CherylFlint
07-25-2013, 12:38 AM
Yellow Pages + phone.
Call the department stores at the malls. Ask if you, a male, can have a make-over session at one of the cosmetic counters. You can go in drab, you don’t need to wear earrings and a wig.
They’ll teach you about foundation, powder, blush, the whole bit. You’ll be expected to buy around $50 worth of product, but then you would buy it anyway, so you’re getting a free makeup lesson.
Ask questions.
It took me around six makeovers to get the proper cosmetics for my face. Don’t go cheap, buy quality makeup. Remember, you really do get what you pay for.
I buy makeup from different manufactures because I purchase what works for me. The only things my wife will borrow is my lipstick, eyebrow pencil and blush. The foundation and powder aren’t her shade, or her favorite manufactures.
Schedule your makeovers just as the mall opens: less people. It’ll take time and plenty of practice to get it right. When I first started it take me 2 hours to get “my face” on. Now I can do it all in 20 minutes, but it took over a year to get to that point.
The best thing you can do for your looks is good, clean bright teeth, plus good posture.
Good luck.

Lorileah
07-25-2013, 12:48 AM
Does any know of someone in the Denver, Colorado Springs area that would be willing to come to a hotel room and teach me.<maybe I will have to check but going to someone is better because they have all the stuff right there/ StudioLites and Phylis's' fantasies and La Chez Femme do makeover with lessons in private areas. All have photo available two have excursions if you want

Christine.Lolita
07-25-2013, 01:42 AM
I found many useful tutorial videos on Youtube. I really learned some valuable techniques and tricks.

Sarah Beth
07-25-2013, 06:12 AM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I will check out the places mentioned in Denver. My problem is I don't think I could get myself to go out in public and do that, at least not on my own. At least I have some options to consider

rian
07-25-2013, 06:29 AM
Dear Sarah
You are lucky to have your wife at least to help you ...or someplace to go... to teach you ....I'm trying long time to find someone to help me ,,,My wife knows I'm a cross dresser but she does not want to share this experience even though she is an expert in make up ....hope I can find someone to teach me ....

Tina B.
07-25-2013, 07:38 AM
Sarah, Riana, unfortunately it's not easy to get the chance to hook up with someone, and then hope it's someone that is good at makeup not all of us are.
My wife did give me a few pointers, when I started using makeup, but most of it I taught myself, little book I got at the market, showed how and where to put eye shadows and stuff like that, rough with those little line drawings they used. Now on U tube, there is all kinds of help out there, another good source is the make up company's on line sites, they want you o feel confident using there new products, so they put out tutorials also. But what really worked for me, after all those little picture instruction book told me what I needed, more or less what to do with it, and then like any thing else you want to get good at, practice, practice, practice, I use to put it on, moan, grown and wash it off and start over. I spent many an evening, wanting to dress, but wouldn't do it until I was satisfied with my makeup, and I would spend the whole evening, just doing it over and over, until my face would feel abused. But the night it all came together, oh what a feeling. I had done it, and done it all by myself, JUST LIKE A WOMEN WOULD. It felt good, real good. But you have to do the work.

Beverley Sims
07-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Sarah,
Like others here makeup is a loner exercise unless you go to one of the makeup clinics.
You can only learn so much and then you go home smear makeup all over yourself, use lots of tissues, remover and soap to remove the mistakes and start again.
Have fun with it, another experiment in life for you.

melissakozak
07-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Get some basic makeup books and some glam ones....Kevin Aucoin's books are amazing. I can't emphasize enough how important the foundation is for your face...with the right one....boom....wrong one.....ooopppppssss. Also, concealer is a must around your eyes...all the rest is experiment....color matching shadows and eye color is important....and go very easy on the blush....

linda allen
07-25-2013, 08:55 AM
............ My wife was not allowed to use any growing up and she hasn't been any help. (and while she is somewhat supportive at times she just doesn't get why I want to use it). .............

I have also heard that there are people who will come to you and teac how to do your makeup and what to use etc. (i.e. MaryKay) Does any know of someone in the Denver, Colorado Springs area that would be willing to come to a hotel room and teach me..................

Well your situation with your wife is pretty close to mine. She seldom wears makeup and doesn't understand why I would want to.

The thing about someone coming to your hotel room to teach you how to use makeup sounds a little "fishy" to me. I would be very wary of this. It sounds more like a prostitution thing to me. A person wouldn't normally rent a hotel room and have someone come to give makeup lessons.

I would look for videos on youtube as a start.

Whenever I'm shopping with my wife and we pass the makeup counters at the department stores I suggest to her that we go in and get "makeovers". She always says "No" but one day she might agree. That would be your best and safest bet if you can get the nerve to do it. Get made up by a pro and get the best products for your needs.

Lorileah
07-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I will check out the places mentioned in Denver. My problem is I don't think I could get myself to go out in public and do that, at least not on my own. At least I have some options to consider

You don't have to go out afterward. That isn't a rule. You may WANT to though when you see the results. I had plenty of photo shoots where I took it all off when it was over. I had the pictures though :) I don't see any difference in getting a professional makeover at their shop vs having someone come to you (and having it at their shop will be better because they have things hey may not have thought to bring along). Get it done, see how they do it, take it off but now you know. PM me because the three I listed all have different styles.

daphne g
07-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Hi there
I think it's just a case of practice and trying and trying
Like any thing really ,did someone come to you and show you how to drive
Of course not you had to practice,but just have fun with it,and when buying it
Be honest with the sa,s and they will tell you what's best and how to use it
A huge confidence boost that
Have fun