PDA

View Full Version : The Mall (Observations)

linda allen
07-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Visiting in MD, my wife suggested that I go to Bass Pro and see if they had anything I needed. This one is in a large shopping mall south of Baltimore.

After shopping, I went to the food court, sat down with a two piece chicken dinner, and made it a point to observe the ladies as they walked by, in particular, their shoes and clothing. Results - of dozens, perhaps over one hundred females, I saw two pairs of heels, one spiked, the other platform. The overwhelming footwear choice was sandals with sneakers a distant second. I saw a few dresses and skirts, some jeans or tights, but most women were wearing shorts or capris.

After lunch as I was leaving, I saw two more pairs of heels, one just a couple of inches high, and the other, about three inches and white. The last one was what many crossdressers try to imitate - tall, long brown hair, slim but good figure, pencil skirt just above the knees, and the white pumps. She was picking them up and putting them down - walking as fast as I could! :heehee:

So next time you decide to get all dolled up and head for the mall, keep the unofficial dress code in mind. ;)

kimdl93
07-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Interesting observations. Could you see a decided difference by age group? I notice that there are some natural breaks between teen/young adults, twenty something's, Thirty something's and so on.

linda allen
07-25-2013, 06:30 PM
I wasn't really paying attention to age. This wasn't something I had planned on doing or I might have had a pad and pencil or even a camera. My recollection is that all the ones wearing heels were adults.

Richelle
07-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Linda,

I have done the same thing while waiting for my wife at our large upscale shopping center. You are correct the vast majority of the women dress for comfort when out shopping. The ones I noticed that wore heels tended to be in business suites, I suspect that they came directly from the office buildings across the street.

Richelle

Eryn
07-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Footwear is often determined by the other activities that women are doing. On a weekend you'll see a lot of sandals and sneakers. At lunch or after 4:00 on weekdays you'll see business pumps. In the evenings you'll see "kicking up your heels" wedges and other evening shoes.

Kelly DeWinter
07-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Hi Linda ! ,

I'm in Maryland as well, If you would like to get together let me know. I have off tomorrow and can meet pretty much anywhere. let me know a we can exchange numbers. That bass pro shop is in Arundle mills mall about 20 mins from me.

Kelly

RenneB
07-25-2013, 08:08 PM
I would agree that most GGs dress for comfort, but would add that most of the ones in my neck of the woods are dressing for comfort without any regard to fashion. You can do shorts and a shirt classy or sloppy.

As I go about my shopping and errands, I still tend to dress a step up from the general flip flops and t-shirt crowd. Like you, very few if any wear heels and a dress.... Try a more upscale mall during the business day and you'll see a different class of clientele. I also prefer shopping and walking 'round a professional downtown area. Lots of dresses and heels. Much easier to blend in....

Renne.....

Rogina B
07-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Here in Florida,every mall is different..from class to trash..And like Eryn said,the time of day is everything,just like at the grocery store..

Leslie Langford
07-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Linda, I'm surprised that you didn't mention flip-flops - that seems to be the footwear of choice for the females in my neck of the woods this time of year.

Also, no tattoos? Most women here sport some variety of this type of body art - from the discreet butterfly on the base of the neck or on the small of the back to full sleeve or else some garish design like a vine creeping up one of their legs.

I swear, sometimes the only way to tell the men from the women nowadays is that it is the men who sport the beards (well...usually, anyway ;)), and it is the women who wear the clean bowling shirts to a formal event like a wedding...:eek: :heehee: :doh:

BillieJoEllen
07-25-2013, 11:46 PM
I too have done what you have done Linda. In fact I do it quite often. Most of the time I do it at Walmart. A lot depends on the season of the year and the time of day. Around here I've been seeing a lot of skirts and dresses. Especially sundresses.

A few years ago I was sitting in a grocery store and watching women checkout. Of over 200 women that I saw there was only three women that had on any discernible lipstick. Its just not used here that much.

lingerieLiz
07-26-2013, 12:04 AM
I live in an area with a lot of retired and resort oriented people. Peddle pushers and shorts are the formal attire. I know once every couple of years the women put on dresses and attend events. Some of the guys even wear suits. The younger crowd the girls might wear nicer clothes, but it seems that the guys consider a new t-shirt as formal attire. It really isn't that bad, but I'm amazed what people wear to church and special events.

If I put on a dress and wore it, I would be the center of attention even if I could pass 100%. We do go to a few fine art events each year, but I always go in male mode. The women buy new dresses that will be worn one time. Used to have female acquaintance that was my size who gave away everything as the seasons changed. How I wished I could be the recipient of her purges, but I did business with her family.

Tina B.
07-26-2013, 12:31 AM
I live in a small town, with a small tourist trade, and both the locals, and the Vacationers spend most of the time in shorts and Tee shirts, or jeans and tennis shoes.
But just yesterday, I was out shopping with the wife, when we spotted a women in her Mid to late 30's I'd say, I'm not to good at picking a woman's age, it's not safe to even try. But she was wearing a stretchy tank top, tight, in Aqua, pretty pair of skinny jeans, and 5 in stiletto heels. She looked good wearing them too.
But then the wife mentioned, we moved here around 12 years ago, back then you never saw a thing like that. We have gone to one of the best restaurants in town, dressed in suit, her in a nice dress, for our anniversary, and was seated next to a table of tourist in shorts and hoodies, it's that kind of place. NO one ever dresses up. I didn't see heels any where in town, out side of the women working in a fine department store, or the court house, and never out on the street or at the mall. Now it still is not common, but is seen more often. maybe dressing better is coming back into style.

stephNE
07-26-2013, 06:28 AM
It's a little disappointing, isn't it?
Women have the opportunity to dress in pretty clothes, but choose not to. I see so many wearing ratty jeans and baggy shirts. But actually the majority of the men I see out are not dressed any different. Maybe this is an androgynous look that is taking over.

Stephy
07-26-2013, 07:26 AM
I've also noticed how few woman put in an effort to dress nicely in suburban malls. It is different in the city where there are lots of office workers.

One advantage is that it makes it easier to pass if you don't mind dressing down. One of the times I have had the most success in passing is wearing faded jeans, a pale pink T-shirt, sandles, light makeup and accessories to the mall. Anything else would draw too much attention.

Chari
07-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Another factor in dressing is the weather, but again some do not care what they are wearing, or how bad it looks, no matter where they are - and it shows! You do not have to spend a lot of $ to look fashionably good, but the outfit should be clean and paid for! IMO many people are not concerned if they will win the popularity contest, and could care less with the impression they leave.

Ressie
07-26-2013, 07:50 AM
I was checking out the ladies' footwear a couple of weeks ago at an outside bar/restaurant in a resort area. In a word, sandals. Some with a wedge, some flat, all with painted toenails.

linda allen
07-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Hi Linda ! ,

I'm in Maryland as well, If you would like to get together let me know. I have off tomorrow and can meet pretty much anywhere. let me know a we can exchange numbers. That bass pro shop is in Arundle mills mall about 20 mins from me.

Kelly

Kelly, I sent you a PM.

Women get to wear what they want in the malls and everywhere else for the most part and it's no different for men. The men were dressed just as casually as the women. I was in jean shorts sneakers, and a pull over shirt with a collar. Nothing fancy.

I suppose the problem is twofold; First, most of us like to get all dolled up to go out because we don't get to do it very often. It's fun to put on the pencil skirt, nice blouse, jewelry, heels, etc. For a woman, that's a chore reserved for some jobs or a night out on the town. Second the clothing helps to disguise our male bodies and hairy arms, legs, chest, and backs. Unless we shave all over, we can't wear the shorts and sleeveless tops or the sandals (without paining our toe nails).

I love the summer, but colder weather makes it a lot easier to dress and pass or "blend".

Sabrina133
07-26-2013, 11:52 AM
I've noticed mucht the same thing to include an overwhelming number of women wearing ---- dare i say it --- flip flops --- yuck. don't get me wrong, they are great at the beach but come on...as everyday wear Pleeeeaaaase!

anonymousinmaryland
07-26-2013, 12:29 PM
I know where you are talking about. And it wasn't me.

linda allen
07-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Funny thing - I was paying for my purchases at Bass Pro and they asked for my phone number. When I gave the guy my area code, he instantly recognized my state. When I told him I was 100 miles from one Bass Pro and 100 miles from another Bass Pro, he called out my city. Turns out he grew up there. Me, I retired there a few years ago. Small world.

Jenny CD
07-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Because of this thread, I went out and bought two pairs of sandals, some cute white shorts and a top with sleeves that covers my tattoo. The shorts are kinda tight, but that's the point, right?

kellycan27
07-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Face it boys.. GG's don't see a trip to the mall as a way to trot out their " girly" side. When I was working it was business attire and heels 40 plus hours a week. The novelty wears off and comfort is more the order of the day. If you want to wear heels 24/7 that's your prerogative but why bag on GG's for theirs? Are you really going to complain about how people criticize your style of dress and then turn around and criticize someone else's?

Veronica27
07-26-2013, 04:50 PM
My wife and I have spent quite a bit of time waiting for trains at both Central Station in Montreal, and Union Station in Toronto, often during the rush hour. We pass the time by observing the commuters rushing to their jobs in the morning, or to catch the train home in the afternoon. These are primarily people who would be working in offices or retail establishments. Slacks outnumber skirts or dresses by a large margin in both cities regardless of the season, or age of the woman, while heels, especially boots in the winter, seem to be holding their own among the younger crowd with both pants and skirts. As one who was originally from Toronto, I have to confess that Montreal seems to have a slight edge when it comes to style or fashion sense or whatever you want to call it.

The same goes for the men, who dress much more casually than in the dark ages when I was still making the daily trek to the office canyons. The one difference between the two cities for the men, is what they carry. In my day, we usually carried a brief case, which doubled as a lunch bucket, or gym bag as well as a place to carry those all important work files. Now they trudge along with a back pack in many cases, especially in Toronto. Computers have eliminated much of the paper copy, so what is needed is some place to stash the cell phone, ipad, tablet or what have you. In Montreal, men seem much less uptight about carrying what could almost be a purse. They have large courier type attaché cases with a long strap slung over their shoulder. It adds a touch of class to the overall image.

Regardless of whether it is male or female, summer or winter, formal or casual, the one item that predominates, particularly in the morning, is the ever present cup of Timmy's.

Veronica

VeronicaMoonlit
07-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Face it boys.. GG's don't see a trip to the mall as a way to trot out their " girly" side. When I was working it was business attire and heels 40 plus hours a week. The novelty wears off and comfort is more the order of the day. If you want to wear heels 24/7 that's your prerogative but why bag on GG's for theirs? Are you really going to complain about how people criticize your style of dress and then turn around and criticize someone else's?

Laughs. It's the standard "Women aren't feminine/don't dress feminine anymore" lament of the older CDer.

Veronica

Bree Wagner
07-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Huh, I was ruminating about the same topic a few days ago after a number of days out in the hot summer sun. My totally unscientific observation was about 75% of the women were in shorts/capris, 20-25% in dresses and <5% in skirts. Honestly, I was a bit surprised by the number of dresses being worn. I may have to up the content in my closet!

Sandals are the clear majority for footwear, with wedges and sneakers behind them and heels, of course, a distant 4th place.

-Bree

Angela Campbell
07-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Want some real fun try watching at the airport.....I love seeing someone leaving Florida in January for Chicago wearing a pair of shorts, tank top, and sandals.....LOL

Beverley Sims
07-29-2013, 09:36 AM
I used to conduct surveys of university students and their dress with a professor on his smoke break.
20 girls wore skirts, law students.
178 girls wore jeans.
75 girls wore other types of pants.
One guy wore a Kaftan and we did not see anyone that appeared TS TX or CD.
Yes they were there but not that easily recognizable.
I like seeing people arrive in Florida from Chicago in the winter.
They are not dressed appropriately either. :)

Jenniferathome
07-29-2013, 09:49 AM
When I have to go to the mall in guy mode, I dress for comfort and the weather. None of my clothes have holes in them but I am always dressed very casually. Why would a woman be different? Shorts and t-shirts on a hot day makes sense for any human.

linda allen
07-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Just in case anyone misunderstood the intention of my post, it was an observation, not a complaint. It was at least in part directed towards the crossdressers who get "dolled up" in tight skirts and six inch heels, go to the mall (or any public place), and then complain about being read.

Zylia
07-29-2013, 02:49 PM
So the overall gist is that dressing like your grandma on your mother's wedding day isn't the best strategy to blend in nowadays, as is dressing like your daughter :D

Still, most cross-dressers will want to wear specific things, and as a result are playing the 'passing' game on hard mode if they're playing it at all. To each their own I guess, everyone's probably doing this for their own enjoyment and can make their own rules.

By the way, I don't know if it's a 'european thing', but the overall fashion sense seems to be a bit better where I live. For obvious reasons, I 'observe' what women wear here as well, and dresses, skirts and nice footwear aren't nearly as uncommon as you described, although the archetypical business look many CDs go for still is as archaic as men wearing top hats.