PDA

View Full Version : Something that really surprised me

Princess Grandpa
07-26-2013, 12:00 PM
**Not exactly sure where this should be. I'm sorry if its in the wrong forum**

Wanting to add a little variety to Rita's activity schedule, but nowhere near ready to just go out into public, I did a search for CD/TS friendly places in the Inland Empire. I found a list of several meet up/support groups. The majority of these meet up groups meet in churches. While I would expect there is a portion of us that are spiritual and/or religious it never would have occurred to me...

I'm not sure why I bring it to these forums other than it was so outside of my paradigm that I needed to share it.

Hug
Rita

~Joanne~
07-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Most of the ones that are close to me tend to be at hotels, most notably holiday inn. It does seem a bit odd to meet in a church but at the same time, as long as sister's can get together outside their own homes, who cares where they really meet? Like you, I am hoping to break this barrier of mine and a meeting sounds like a good place to start ;)

Kate Simmons
07-26-2013, 12:13 PM
The reason the group I originally met with met at the UU Church was that The Church space was shared by the MC Church which also welcomes LGBT folks. I had gone to a service locally a few years back at a UU Church as they welcome TG folks. The group I met with, Renaissance Transgender Org. did rent the room space for the monthly meetings from the UU Church. Part of our dues helped to pay for that.Even so, in neither place did anyone push any beliefs on anyone else.:)

Lynn Marie
07-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Churches have lots of meeting space unused for most of the week. Renting out space helps them meet expenses. Seattle's Emerald City Social Club has their monthly meetings and board meetings at a church, but have all their other get togethers at mainstream establishments. Great fun to be out and about with CD girlfriends.

Princess Grandpa
07-26-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm sure it's just a matter of economics. As you say Lynn Marie, they have space available, the groups need inexpensive space. It makes sense... I guess

Hug
Rita

Launa
07-26-2013, 07:45 PM
I had no idea "most" churches would let a CD group rent out times in their buildings unless its one of those liberal religions.

All the bible thumpers I've known in the past thought we were Satan's children.

Darlene-VA
07-26-2013, 07:59 PM
The first meeting I ever attending in downtown Richmond was in the basement of a very nice old church

Tracii G
07-26-2013, 08:19 PM
UU churches get it when it comes to gender issues and really see it for what it is.They accept TG/TS people and I applaud them for it.

docrobbysherry
07-26-2013, 08:41 PM
We began meeting other T's in 2 different churches in Orange County, SoCal. I very conservative area historically. I believe it's very commendable on the church's part.

However, when our group meets, I NEVER see any regular parishioners around. Coincidence? Or, we're welcome as long as we stay out of sight?

Sometimes Steffi
07-26-2013, 09:23 PM
One of the groups in my area meets at a UU church also. I think the church is comfortable with TGs, and the group meets at the church because you can be out, but not out in public.

Princess Grandpa
07-26-2013, 11:17 PM
That's a huge thing really. The ability to go out but in a safe environment.

Hug
Rita

Beverley Sims
07-29-2013, 09:29 AM
I think churches and similar halls are a lower rent area suitable for groups like us.