PDA

View Full Version : Completely out of character

franlee
07-26-2013, 06:21 PM
I have lately found myself wanting to dress in a style that is completely opposite of that I like and wear on regular occasions. I'm talking about not only styles but patterns and prints I detest along with some fabrics that grate my nerves normally. I am not having any kind of stress or dilemma in my life more than usual, but here lately I seem to want to for a lack of a better term punish myself with these petty desires that nag at me. Of course that causes a problem because I don't own or have access to these outfits. I can't decide whether I am subconsciously trying to do a little self torture or wanting to expand my awareness and experiences. But the desires and impulses are real and intense. I wondered if any of you have ever had a parallel compulsion or any insight to add?

kimdl93
07-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Hi Fran, I found myself broadening my interests this summer....maybe the heat was getting too me, but whatever the reason I've lately been attracted to floral prints!

Tina B.
07-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Back when I started dressing as an adult, it was dresses, that was it, Then I fell in love with separates, and for years it was just skirts and tops, Last year I bought a pair of legging capris, and that has opened a flood gate. For someone that at one time said, "if I'm gone to wear pants I might as well stay in drab" Now I own about 15 pair of capris, 6 or 7 pairs of jeans, and a couple pair of nice ladies slacks. I still wear a dress now and again, skirts more often for a change, and spend most of my time in capris. Ideas expand, taste changes, and of course one must never forget the ever changing fashion!

docrobbysherry
07-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Her's how it works for me, Franlee.

Robert can and will wear the same pair of jeans until they fall apart. Then, he buys another just like them. And, he's quite content with that.

Sherry wears an outfit one time and that's usually it! She gets bored easily and even tho she has a semi full of things, she is constantly on me to buy more! Even one of EVERYTHING isn't enuff for her!

MysticLady
07-26-2013, 10:53 PM
wanting to expand my awareness and experiences.

Hi Franlee, I suspect that this might be the case. Sometimes I feel like getting new clothes just too see what I would look like in them. My safety Guard is my inability to buy them at this time because of my strict budget. That's why I stopped looking at shoes because it seems like I want one pair in several different colors. Now, what if I like 3, 4 or 5 different styles, You get the picture. That would be a small fortune.:eek:

sandra-leigh
07-26-2013, 11:21 PM
I have certainly gone through spells of "pushing my boundaries". Just going out dressed into every-day locations (e.g., on a bicycle, grocery shopping) was very much "pushing my boundaries" at first, but I made myself do it anyhow, and in time it become completely normal. But yes, I have deliberately worn clothing that I didn't like, just to see how it felt in practice. Some of it surprised me; for example I would not have guessed that I would positively enjoy wearing lavender tights. Some of it I ended up saying something like, "Well, that wasn't as bad as I expected, but, Eh, I can't say this does much for me."

I pushed my boundaries again today. I had some time to kill, so I visited the booths at the local fringe festival, and bought a long "tube dress" with halter tie. The tube part goes under the bust, and the halter tie has the covering for the breasts. I put it on immediately after buying it, and wore it around the festival and for the rest of the day. I was a bit self-conscious wearing it at first... I can't quite say why, but I was aware at the time I put it on that it was something I would have to get used to. After a while I felt more comfortable. I was pleased to see that I do have enough bust now to show something in it, but I was still disappointed that I don't have more to fill it out.

lingerieLiz
07-26-2013, 11:27 PM
When younger I loved shirtwaist dresses. Then I found our there are all kinds of fashions that change with the times. Been through the sheath, A line skirts, tunics, ... suits. Even wore a nurse's outfit a few times. Loved the white dresses with slip showing through. Diversity is fun!

Barbara Ella
07-27-2013, 12:00 AM
I think if you stay at something long enough, you get to the point where there is just more than just a few things that can interest you. Our minds are continually expanding, and as a group, we are used to having the fringe areas of our brains tickled a bit, so to speak, and in the fashion sense, it makes sense that after some time, those things that were outside our fringe area, are now right there and becoming a new part of our life.

Keep on growing girls.

Barbara

Karen_Ski
07-27-2013, 01:49 AM
I do believe that our tastes change and evolve as we grow in our "hobby." I know that I wear things now on a regular basis that even a few years ago I would have never even looked at in a store. Be it outer apparel, lingerie, foundations, and even shoes I like to think I have grown and matured as a woman and perhaps you are as well Franlee.

The other possible explanation is you have similar things on GG's and subconsciously thought to yourself "that looks good on them." Now your subconscious is drawing you to what your eye saw as "cute."

Beverley Sims
07-29-2013, 09:19 AM
As we "progress" our desires and tastes do change, sometimes dramatically.