PDA

View Full Version : Shrink a Gut

Cristy2
07-28-2013, 04:14 PM
There there any relatively inexpensive ways to shrink the gut down a bit while dressed? I look like I am six months pregnant with my gut.

Eryn
07-28-2013, 04:17 PM
You can smooth it out a bit with shapewear, but the ultimate solution is less food down the hatch. I'm fighting the same issue, though I find that a little tummy makes wearing long dresses easier without an extreme tuck.

Rachel Morley
07-28-2013, 04:20 PM
"relatively inexpensive way while dressed?" Before everyone tells you to diet and exercise, are you looking for an instant fix for a particular event you are going to? Do you have to fit into a particular dress? I guess a corset might work quite well or maybe a spanx if you are not looking to reduce too much.

I find that a little tummy makes wearing long dresses easier without an extreme tuck.
Wow, awesome ... I'd have never thought of that! I'll try to remember "the good side" next time I feel depressed about my shape. LOL.

Lynn Marie
07-28-2013, 04:34 PM
When taking pictures or parading through my local club or restaurants I tend to suck up my gut. The only way I know of to eliminate that difficulty is a proper corset. A well done corset will hold your gut in and as a bonus give you what looks like a smaller waist. By golly, it's like magic. Corsets are also hot and tend to get uncomfortable for me after 5 or 6 hours. I plan my outings in corset accordingly. Elastic shapewear doesn't seem to control my gut well at all. It can control other stuff, and feels great, but really doesn't stand a chance when dealing with an "old man stomach"!

Gretchen_To_Be
07-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Cristy: I have a beer gut too, though I am trying to lose it. Got decent results with a corset (see attached photo). I'm 5'11" and weigh 230. In the photo you can also see the effect of a hip & butt padded girdle from Glamour Boutique (corset from there also). I can sort of fit into size 18 or XL dresses this way--especially stretchy ones like sweater or wrap dresses. Obviously I have a long way to go (goal is 175...not sure what size that would be--maybe 12 or 14?)

It's not comfy, but helps me achieve the partial illusion I'm after. Make sure you turn up the AC because it gets hot, and don't eat beforehand!

kathtx
07-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Diet and exercise. Or, if you prefer, exercise and diet.

Norah_joy
07-28-2013, 05:01 PM
I agree as to diet and exercise but I'm discovering that the diet and exercise advise worked better when I was in my 40s and 50s; not so much now in my 70s. I need the spandex now more than ever. In my 40s, a fifteen mile run was a weekly thing but now its just an hour on an exercise bike.

Vickie_CDTV
07-28-2013, 05:06 PM
A proper girdle (control top pantyhose or Spanx probably won't be enough) like our grandmothers wore will help flatten your stomach; it won't eliminate it and it won't give you a waist, but it will help flatten it and make you look more proportional to a large non-pregnant female. If you like to wear gartered stockings, an all-in-one like the Rago 9357 is a great choice (I always wear one whenever I dress.) Fit can be difficult, though it is easier for an all-in-one (buy by your bra size) as opposed to a one piece girdle (take your waist and hips and add them then divide by 2 to get a rough idea of your size.)

All-in-one
http://www.rago-shapewear.com/catalog/product.php?productid=16216&cat=257&page=1

Long leg panty girdle (also helps with a tuck if you need it)
http://www.rago-shapewear.com/catalog/product.php?productid=16182&cat=261&page=2

If you can afford it, a corset will give you the best results, and it can help give you a waistline (even if you are large.)

Rachelakld
07-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Swim ( okay it also firmed up everything and cured my back problem)

Cristy2
07-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I've been thinking about investing in a corset.

Kelly DeWinter
07-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Eat less, you have to admit that it's pretty inexpensive.

Jenniferathome
07-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Yes. The easiest way is called exercise. It's free and it will help you live longer. Go figure

Cristy2
07-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Eat less, you have to admit that it's pretty inexpensive.

I really don't eat all that much and what I do eat is a proper blend of the food groups. In fact, I'm really semi-vegetarian and I am boarderline diabetic so I don't eat mass amounts of sweets and stuff like that. I ride my bicycle a good five to ten miles a day, weather permitting.

Eryn
07-28-2013, 10:18 PM
...I'll try to remember "the good side" next time I feel depressed about my shape. LOL.

There's a lot of truth there. My age and a few supposedly negative aspects of appearance do help me avoid undue scrutiny when out and about.

Tamara Croft
07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
In fact, I'm really semi-vegetarianNo such thing, you either eat meat, or you don't eat meat.

I am boarderline diabeticNo such thing as that either, you're either not diabetic or you are diabetic, or pre-diabetic, which means on occasion your blood glucose levels are above average but not high enough to be considered an indicator of diabetes. ... don't believe me? ask your doctor.

If you don't each much, that's your problem... you're not going to lose any weight like that, you need to be on a sensible diet.

Mary Lee
07-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Many women have told me they ware two girdle to help shape themselves.

Kandy Barr
07-28-2013, 10:38 PM
I've lost 30lbs mostly by altering my diet and that's in the last 4 months. My biggest problem was my tummy also and the only way to reduce that further is by exercise. The weight loss helped that area significantly but what remains will not go away by further dieting. I'm at my target weight now so it's time to hit the sit ups, dread.....

Chickhe
07-28-2013, 11:39 PM
If you cycle, try this... constantly breath out, suck in your gut to tone those muscles. Do this as often as you can. Then eat smaller meals. Then drink lots of water and cycle as far as you can until you feel like you can't go farther, then turn around and cycle home. Repeat.

Amanda M
07-29-2013, 04:32 AM
The main cause of an excess gut is an over-active fork.

Calorie restriction (especially calories from alcohol),and exercise WILL do it for anyone. It takes time, a lot of effort and commitment, but ultimately, do you want to look your best or not.

Zylia
07-29-2013, 05:21 AM
Needless to say this isn't exactly a 'male-specific' problem or a CD problem for that matter. Try to lose weight or try to use it to your advantage while dressing up. There are some stunning looking 'big girls' out there doing amazing things because they have something to work with. A slightly larger hump of clay so to say.

I'm fighting the same issue, though I find that a little tummy makes wearing long dresses easier without an extreme tuck.
I experimented with some subtle tummy padding for the exact same reason. Ultimately dropped it because every 'element' can turn into a liability. Bottom line is that some 'baby fat' actually can be quite an asset.

Tina B.
07-29-2013, 06:08 AM
Fast easiest and cheapest way to get a little help in that department is a waist chicher. as for a corset, I was looking at them yesterday, not recommended for a pear shape figure, a fashion one is OK, but won't do want a real laced one will. And there doesn't seem to be anything like a cheap one!

Cristy2
07-29-2013, 07:20 AM
No such thing as that either, you're either not diabetic or you are diabetic, or pre-diabetic, which means on occasion your blood glucose levels are above average but not high enough to be considered an indicator of diabetes. ... don't believe me? ask your doctor.

Boardline Diabetic is what the doctor who has been treating me for 27 years calls it. Right now it is under control by diet and exercise and knock on wood, I haven't had any real serious problems. Every once in a while in the summer time I'll have minor issues with my BGL yoyoing, but normally as long as I drink plenty of water and avoid things like pizza and garbage like that, I sail along pretty good. My most recent blood work up was good.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll check into a corset. I've been eyeballing a couple of different shapers, but not too sure about them.

Taylor186
07-29-2013, 07:25 AM
The easiest way is with a corset. The longer the better. I've tried waist cinchers and they don't create a smooth waist-line like a corset as my excess spills out over the top.

'Relatively inexpensive" for a decent corset is around $100. There are plenty of thread discussing favored corset brands.

Beverley Sims
07-29-2013, 08:19 AM
You can try a corset or shapewear,
I suggest eating less fatty foods.
Like a diet I suppose.

Tamara Croft
07-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Boardline Diabetic is what the doctor who has been treating me for 27 years calls it.Well, tell your doctor to get re-trained, if he/she been treating you that long, he/she is probably old school... I will find a link...

http://www.diabetescareindia.org/c_Intro.aspx?id=12

FYI, just google borderline diabetes myth.... lot's of information :)

Ineke Vashon
07-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Borderline diabetic, pre-diabetic, not so diabetic - The best way to settle this is by taking an A1C test, if you haven't already done so. This is a simple non-fasting blood test to show your average glucose level over the past three months. There are health centers that will do the test without a doctor's visit, cash only, results within a few days. Simple and efficient. I started out at 7.4% which is diabetic, type 2, then went on increased exercise and threw out sugar, chocolate chip cookies, pies-a-la-mode, and all that stuff which thought I could not do without. Dropped the hot dogs, bacon, processed meats and such. I find that a 3oz hamburger satisfies me as much as a 1/2pounder used to do. I'm totally used to fat free milk by now. I keep a loose diary of what I eat and I have lost some 25 lbs within one year, most around the middle. And I am definitely a senior.

Half my shopping time now is spent reading the nutrition labels, and avoiding the promo hype on the front of the package. No need for a corset here :eek:

Did I mention I feel better, and look better? :cute:

Ineke

rita63
07-29-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure my gut is the problem. One of the joys (?) of summer is you get to see other peoples real body shapes. I noticed a lot of mid 60s even mid 50s GGs have guts that stick out as far as their boobs, just like me. The thing I don't have is any hips, my waist is the widest part of my body. Maybe some hip and bum pads would help or a pregame of butt building calisthenics.
Sometimes it not what you have but where you have it, or don't that matters.

hugs rita

Allison Quinn
07-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Doesn't running help with this a lot?
I've been trying to eat healthier too.

Get a running partner if you can too that way you won't be all alone while running :)

Cristy2
07-29-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure about running, but I ride my bicycle almost everywhere and a ten mile bike run isn't hardly even a warm up run anymore.

I've been trying to eat healthier too. I also try to grow most of my own vegetables and I eat a lot of fish and try to buy organic when ever possible.

windycissy
07-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Crunches, laps and lean cuisine : )

Loni
07-29-2013, 11:30 PM
you do not need to eat less. just better.
think of your dinner plate cut into slices of pie.
less than one fifth would be lean meat.
eat your colors aka vegetables. two fifths of the plate.
eat whole rice, or other unprocessed starches.

the more processed the food, the farther away from you it should be.

NO sodas not even diet. water first, then teas. milk (2%).
start reading the labels cut out sugars and salt, as much as you can.
if you can not read the word it is bad for your body.
if the word has more than three silables is is to be avoided.

then get a great pair of walking shoes.
take up swimming ---laps--- best exercise one can do.
maybe start riding a bicycle 60 miles (flat to easy hills) a day two - three times a week.
the gole is to work your hart and lungs at 70% of max for up to three hours.
remember to stretch first, and talk to your Dr.

this is not a diet plan. it is a life plan.

donnatracey
07-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Gee whiz Loni, not enough hours in the day to do what you prescribe! A 60 mile bike ride....that's 4 hrs or so, give or take (unless your Lance Armstrong!). 3 hours of exercise in a day (or did you mean per week?) - how many people have that much time, or energy?

I'm in fairly good shape ( esp for my age); when I walk I go 5 miles or so; now biking 60-90 mins a day.

No sodas? That's rather unrealistic.....though I do agree with your overall eating strategies...sadly, most of us do not have the willpower.

Cristy2
07-30-2013, 06:03 AM
You can do 60 miles in 2 1/2 to three hours depending on how hard you hit it and of course traffic. I haven't drank a soda in so many years that I wouldn't even know what one tastes like. Every once in a while I'll drink a Gator Aid or Power Aid, but I much prefer water.

Jana
07-30-2013, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I've been thinking about investing in a corset.

Seriously, in addition to the corset, give a shot to losing some weight. For your fem appearance and health (abdominal fat can lead to vascular and metabolic problems).

Dianne S
07-30-2013, 10:22 AM
No sodas? That's rather unrealistic.....

Actually, sodas are very harmful. A can of coke (in Canada... US ingredients differ a bit) has 45g of sugar. That's three tablespoons of sugar... about twice the sugar in an average chocolate bar.

Sugar is deadly. It gives you empty calories and makes you prone to diabetes. Honestly, give up soda. I think you'll find drinking water instead of soda is much easier than changing what you eat, and you'll feel better too.

To answer the OP's question: My wife and I have started exercising more; we go for a one-hour walk together about 4-5 times/week and I find I feel much better. I've also cut back on the chocolate *sigh* and invested in a waist cincher. I'm luck in that my belly is reasonably manageable... and I intend to keep it that way!

Loni
07-30-2013, 11:44 AM
yes as for the bike ride i meant only a couple times a week even one ride a week will do your body good. and sixty miles it not all that much i did say on the flat. but back when i was on the bike (pedal kind) i did one day a week just for that and in the hills 50 - 70 miles.

but one must adjust food intake, types of food, and exercise to loose weight keep it off and improve there health.
not as in crash "diet" but a life long plan. so think in terms you will live within.
talk to your Dr.

there is no fast way to loose weight, it took time to put it on so it will take time to burn it off.
a real corset will scrunch your body to a "fit" but it has a price.
two really as a real corset cost at least a bill $$.
the sexy ones are only for show on a cute body they do not squeeze you in.

and yes i wish i had will power also. i must drop 40 pounds.

pizza last night. gater to wash it down.
soda is only liquid sugar with chems the body can not work with so the body makes "bad" fat.
bad fat = no stored energy. just blubber.
most peoples lives will improve by walking (push your self get your hart rate up) a 5 mile walk 3 times a week around where you live hills are a plus.
cut down on sugars. like only one soda a week not six a day.
drink half a gallon + of water a day (over the course of the whole day) your skin will love your for that alone.

Annie M
07-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Try boiled skinless chicken, good beef, lots of veggies, no extra carbs like chips, pizza, beer,no breads or at least very little.NO processed foods, no sodas, lots of water and exercise, run, bike walk, lift weight, Zumba, any kind of cardio. And the weight will fall off. No fads no pills just stick to it for 30 days and be amazed!

Cristy2
07-31-2013, 06:09 AM
Strange thing is that I am only about 180 lbs at 5'10", but this darn balloon gut makes me look like 200 plus. Very annoying. Annie, I with you on the foods. I rarely ever eat things like chips and pizza only once in a while and most processed foods taste nasty to me. Also rarely ever drink any kind of alcohol anymore.