PDA

View Full Version : Books?

Suzanne F
07-28-2013, 10:44 PM
I am at hospital with my wife. A urologist is performing an emergency procedure to place a stent in her to drain her kidney. I have my Kindle with me and would like to read something while she is in surgery. I have read the Betty books. Can anyone reccomend a must read about transgender issues?
Suzanne

NathalieX66
07-28-2013, 11:15 PM
The Betty books are ok. ...referring to Betty Boyd/ Helen Boyd (Gail Kramer), right?

The Jenny Finney Boylan books are better.
http://www.jenniferboylan.net/about-jenny/

Suzanne F
07-28-2013, 11:31 PM
Yes I was referring to those. Thank you!

heatherdress
07-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Suzanne - I hope all goes well and your wife heals rapidly. Heather

Suzanne F
07-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks. She has been under for awhile now. I am waiting for word that she is ok. It has been good to be there for her all weekend as she has gone through this. A good reminder of what is really important.
Suzanne

Tracii G
07-29-2013, 01:26 AM
Hung in the middle by Alana Nicole Sholar. She is a friend of mine and the book is a great read.
Hope everything is OK with your wife mojo sent your way!

Suzanne F
07-29-2013, 02:34 AM
Hung in the middle by Alana Nicole Sholar. She is a friend of mine and the book is a great read.
Hope everything is OK with your wife mojo sent your way!
I just read that!! I am originally from Ky also. By the way my wife came through fine!
Please tell Alana that I so enjoyed her story.
Suzanne

donnalee
07-29-2013, 03:18 AM
Wonderful to hear your wife is OK. Sorry that I don't have any reading recommendations, but you and your wife have my best wishes.
Donna

Beverley Sims
07-29-2013, 04:08 AM
I am sorry Suzanne,
I do not know your relationship, but I feel that this is not the time to push the issue.
That is what it sounds like to me.
There are no smileys here.

I apologize, I misread the post.
I hope all goes well.
This time entertain yourself with games and other distractions
Good luck for now :)

Tina B.
07-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Glad to here the wife is doing fine, hate those long waits in hospitals not knowing what's going on in that darn operating room. I've been dragging around an old paper back I bought almost 50 years ago, it was my first read about a TS in the LA area, the book was called "CANDY" that was her name, she had her surgery done in Mexico, and had it corrected at Stanford I think it was, but it's a great read of what it was like back in the early days when it was all but impossible to have it done in America. Unfortunately, I imagine it's probably out of print.

I Am Paula
07-29-2013, 03:05 PM
John Irving 'In one person' is a great novel with a trans theme. If you've read 'Hotel New Hamphire", or others, he has a fascination with things trans, and bears. (the four legged type).

flogo920
07-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Wish your wife a speedy recovery- if you have an Amazon Kindle read "Alice in Genderland", a psychiatrists adventures in cross gender- years ago had dinner with him in drab- fascinating story.

Hugs,

Flo

Tracii G
07-29-2013, 04:51 PM
So glad your wife is doing better Suzanne.
Waiting for words from the Dr is always a rough time.

Angela Campbell
07-29-2013, 04:53 PM
a good one is

The Transgender Guidebook

by Ann L Boedecker

AlanaNicole
08-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Suzanne, I Stumbled across this page last night while doing a Google search on my name.
I saw on Google where some comments on my memoir, "Hung in the Middle: A Journey of Gender Discovery," had been made here and decided to check it out.
First, I want to say I am happy to hear that your wife is doing fine and wish both of you the best.
Also, I would like to thank you for reading "Hung in the Middle" and it thrills me to know you enjoyed it -- thank you!!
Hugs to you and yours.

Alana Nicole Sholar

AlanaNicole
08-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Holding a guitar as always -- Love it!!
I saw over on FaceBook where you commented on the pic of our family band -- I was 19 at the time that was taken.
I accidently found this page, saw this conversation, and it gave me something to smile about. Thank you!!

Alana Nicole Sholar

Suzanne F
08-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Alana
I enjoyed the book so much! I lived in Lexington for a year in my early twenties. I am from a city in Western Ky originally. I applaud you for all the courage you have demonstrated! Your story is so inspiring!
Suzanne

Barbra P
08-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi Suzanne

I completely missed your post when it first appeared; I trust you are not still sitting around in the hospital looking for something to read. Humor aside and much more important, I hope your Wife came though the surgery with flying colors and is on the mend.

The next time you are looking for something to read I would suggest you look at the books by Peggy Rudd Ed D, They include “My Husband Wears My Clothes: Crossdressing from the Perspective of a Wife”, “Crossdressing With Dignity: The Case For Transcending Gender Lines”, “Crossdressers : And Those Who Share Their Lives”, and “Who's Really from Venus? The Tale of Two Genders.”

I have to admit that I have only read the first book (My Husband …), and I plan to read “Crossdressing with Dignity …”, not sure about the other two as they are not yet available for the Kindle.

AlanaNicole
08-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Suzanne, I was born in Hopkinsville Ky myself, we moved here to Versailles when I was eight years old.
And I am so pleased you liked the book that makes it all worthwhile. We have had a lot of cool reviews written on
Amazon but when I read them it's hard to believe that they are about my work.