PDA

View Full Version : Growing my hair out, and something incredible just happened!

paulaloha
08-01-2013, 01:54 AM
I have been growing my hair out since October of 2012. So it's starting to get out there. I had gotten almost hopeless after nearly a year of growing it out and not being able to do anything with it.

But this morning, as I was brushing my hair, I tried a different way, and everything came together in an incredibly feminine way. I looked in the mirror and was stunned! No makeup or anything and I felt like there was a really feminine looking person staring back at me!

My hair isn't quite long enough to keep a look like that when it's dry, I can only pull it off when it's wet. But it gave the all the inspiration I needed and more to keep my hair growing!

So to anyone else trying to grow your hair out, stay strong and keep going! It has so many annoying days and moments. But I feel like today I saw a glimpse of what is to come, and it is going to be wonderful!

Tracii G
08-01-2013, 03:18 AM
Been a year and a half for me and its getting better I'm over the stage where I can't do anything with it.
Been trying to style it with hot rollers and curling iron.Hot rollers seem to do a very good job

Beverley Sims
08-01-2013, 03:46 AM
Paula,
I have seen some messy progressions with hair growing out stringy and then getting frizzy in the process.
I hope you do have success with yours in the future.

Kerigirl2009
08-01-2013, 08:48 AM
I am at the "awkward stage" as it has been only six months or so but it is horrible to manage at this time, but I can't wait for my look to eventually grow in.. Waiting is the bummer but anticipation is growing (literally) Recently I have had the courage to go out without a wig an I love that part but I am definately more recgonizable this way. The fun part is trying to figure out how to curl my hair and how to use a straightner. Oh and hair spray is definately your friend.

linda allen
08-01-2013, 08:52 AM
I started growing mine out, but it got shaggy and my wife complained so I got it cut. I have enough hair that I could do it, but at my age, I would have to answer a lot of questions and it's a pain to keep long hair looking nice so off it went.

Wigs can be uncomfortable, but they do have the advantage of further disguising us if we don't want to be recognized.

My advice - Go to a good hair stylist and have her/him suggest a style that looks good on you. They are pros and know what to do with hair.

Tina B.
08-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Back in the day I had hair to grow out, I wore a pony tail in drab, fairly long at that. One of my favorite things was getting home from work on Friday night, showering washing my hair, and putting it up in rollers, the wire never understood why I would want to wear rollers to bed, but when I combed it out on Saturday morning I was walking on clouds. I week I curled over the top, next it would be curled under for a different look, Big roller to small, it was fun!
Now I want a human hair wig, I still have a lot of those rollers 20 years later hopping to get to use them again someday.

Dianne S
08-01-2013, 10:19 AM
I have long hair which I keep in a ponytail in male mode. None of my male coworkers like it, but all of the female ones do... go figure...

Stevie
08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
That is awesome Paula. I keep asking my hair stylist when long hair is back in for men so I can have a reason to grow mine..

heatherdress
08-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Great for you, Paula, and everyone else experiencing the joy of growing your hair.

Loni
08-01-2013, 12:15 PM
be grateful that you can still grow hair on top.
sad for me that is the only place i can not grow much any more,

💭 if only i could get the dht to effect the rest of the body hair in the same way.

Erica Marie
08-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the inspiration. I am attempting to let mine grow out also. But in a way it wont give me away.

Cheryl Ann Owens
08-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Oh I long for days past! Around 1993 when I was 40 I grew it out enough to get an awesome curly perm. A lot of "guys" were doing it (mostly bearded except me) then. Yes, I withstood some snickers and talk behind my back but I loved going to the salon to have it done, and then washing and fluffing it! I was able to buy clip-on pieces from Paula Young to match and really fill it out. Last year I thought of trying again but a lot is missing. But I did recently get a nice comfy wig.

Cheryl Ann

Jenny CD
08-01-2013, 12:30 PM
What a wonderful experience for you! I did kinda the same thing as you and loved it. Been growing my hair out for about 6 months and the longer it gets, the blonder it gets. When I was a kid, my hair was totally blonde and being Hispanic I was always called "wedo" (sp).

Just the other before work I went into a convenience store that I frequent and the clerk asked if this was my natural hair color. I said it was and she responded by telling me that my hair was beautiful. I walked out on a cloud! Just last night a customer I helped said "thank you, ma'am".... She tried to take it back, but I said that's quite alright. Guess I'm starting to look more femme.

Anyway, glad you got the inspiration you desired and like you... keep it growing!

Chari
08-01-2013, 12:45 PM
While waiting for your hair to "grow out", consider looking at "Hair Styles" magazines to get ideas as to what you hope to accomplish. As was a previous reply, contact a professional at a hair salon (beauty shop) that would be willing to give you a androgynous style and advise you how to care for it. Many GG's are wearing shorter hair styles, and IMO you don't need a lot of hair to get a feminine style.

Cheryl Ann Owens
08-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Just last night a customer I helped said "thank you, ma'am".... She tried to take it back, but I said that's quite alright. Guess I'm starting to look more femme.

Anyway, glad you got the inspiration you desired and like you... keep it growing!

Jenny, One night as I was driving into a parking lot with the lady who is now my wife, I got "Mam'ed! by an attendant. He apologized but my smile didn't tell him that it felt good!

Cheryl Ann

paulaloha
08-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.

I am actually planning to go to a salon on Saturday most likely.
So we will see what kind of style they can come up with. The only thing with my hair is that it's curly and has lots of volume. So until it gets a good bit longer and heavier it kinda goes crazy!
Even hairspray can't tame the curls. But I am just starting to experiment with it. I'm thinking a blow dryer with a diffuser might be on my to buy list soon.

AmyGaleRT
08-02-2013, 01:41 AM
I've grown mine out, and I wear a ponytail in drab mode. In my line of work, guys with ponytails are almost a cliche. As to whether it's "stylish for men" or not, I don't care; if anyone asks, I just tell them "My fiancee likes it." Which she does. :)

But pull out the ponytail holder, brush it out, and Amy's hairstyle is quick to emerge. I also like wearing hair accessories with it, like headbands and barrettes. I did manage to get it up in a sort of messy bun once; at some point, I have to try working with it some more to see how it'll look in an updo.

- Amy

pamisme
08-03-2013, 06:41 PM
I to am growing mine out , this is only since may but by next may it should be good. My boss keeps saying when am I going to get it cut, this is after I just cut it in May . I tell him that I can grow hair on my head I will grow mine but he can not grow any that he just likes mine to much, that is why he wants me to cut mine . And I do get mam when I go out to eat with my gg and it files great

Starr
08-03-2013, 08:04 PM
My hair has been growing for about 4 years now... I keep it cut in a fem style and I put it up in a ponytail for work.. but with bangs.. my photo here is my real hair... once my hair got where I could wear in fem I got so much more confidence in myself in fem and go pretty much anywhere I want dressed now. With wigs it was like I was hiding who I was but with my real hair.. hey it is me.. a little make up maybe and some fem clothes but it is me I feel so much better about being a girl with my own hair.

pamisme
08-03-2013, 08:19 PM
I know it just fills right. Dos it not when you have hair you can liuve with.

NathalieX66
08-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Wish I had bangs. I envy you.
I work in a corporate office environment and I'm lucky to gotten as far as I have.

Marissa V
08-03-2013, 08:50 PM
i got hair until halfway my back, quite long by now. Nobody ever questioned it since i was a metalhead... :D

PretzelGirl
08-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I have thoroughly enjoyed mine. But one piece if advise I learned after I was well down the road of growing it. Pay attention to the condition it is in. I always had oily hair as a youngster and then it was never very long. So I always used products for oily hair. As I grew it out, my stylist recommended a certain product for thinning hair. It was rough on my hair because I had gone from oily to dry. I then refused to change products since my stylist recommended it. My hair was looking like a brillo pad and only small amounts of it were getting to full length. I finally started playing with other products and I am seeing a world of difference. But it then had to grow enough to get rid of the damaged hairs. So pay close attention so you keep it in good health.

Brenda456
08-03-2013, 09:06 PM
If only my head would grow hair. . .

MssHyde
08-03-2013, 09:44 PM
I love it when its at least long enough for an over the top french braid. I love the feeling, of having it braided and wearing it.

Brooklyn
08-03-2013, 09:54 PM
As was a previous reply, contact a professional at a hair salon (beauty shop) that would be willing to give you a androgynous style and advise you how to care for it.

Just let me know when you're in San Antonio... I can give you a Texas-sized blow-out!

Hair grows about 1/2" per month on average. If you're trying to grow it out, stay away from people like me with scissors. You don't have to worry about split-ends until it is quite long. If you want to keep it in top condition, avoid putting hot things, metal clips, and chemicals in it. Consider some sun protection for this time of year. Have fun with it!

regina young
08-03-2013, 10:17 PM
I have almost always had long hair, even in the Army I would tuck it under my hat, so people who know me think nothing of it. Caring for it as I get older requires considerably more work and attention, but I would not have it any other way. I recently had about 9-10 inches of it cut off because it had gotten quite thin there. It is still past the shoulders and is much thicker and healthier now. Being able to curl it and fluff it all around the face sure helps to soften male features.

c.davies
08-04-2013, 04:42 AM
In female mode mine is past my bra strap, the only problem I have is at the front, it is a very long fringe,, down to mouth, but the forehead is getting a little bit further back. So, not to sure about a wig, or brushing it forward and to one side.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. :confused2::confused2:

sometimes_miss
08-04-2013, 11:43 PM
At this age, my hair grew out and kept going, so most of it's gone.

JennaBreeze
09-02-2013, 11:41 PM
My best advice to those thinking about growing out your own hair is to just do it. I have my hair long and permed and I will probably keep it this way unless I start losing it. Everything I have heard has been positive, from the gals at work who have said they envy my hair, to the once-in-a-while getting mistaken for a woman. I'm sure there are those who have been critical, since I work in an environment where almost every other male is either bald or has a flat-top, but I have never actually been confronted with negativity. The comments actually keep me going. My only problem with long hair is being addicted to finding new ways to style it! Go big!