PDA

View Full Version : DSM 5 anyone?

Krististeph
08-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Has anyone looked at the DSM 5 ( Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders ) yet?

Supposedly, CD/TG issues are no longer considered 'disorders'... however there was still an undercurrent of negligence in defining the nuances of the TG spectrum.

Any other bits of interest to us?

Zylia
08-01-2013, 03:40 PM
There's a semi-nice discussion going on here (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?198696-If-autogynephilia-doesn-t-exist) involving DSM 5. I had a chance to look at some of it, mainly because I have a diagnosis for a relatively mild (non-CD/TG-related) disorder. There's still a 'transvestive disorder' in it, but with the new model, feeling 'distress and impairment' seems to be more important for a diagnosis, the disorder itself not so much.

Tina B.
08-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Just means nothing is wrong with you, so the insurance companies can deny your claim, as far as I can see, so now you will have to claim you have a nervous problem caused by it to get doctors paid for.

ossian
08-02-2013, 12:41 AM
The thing that bugs be about the DSM-5 is that that they still have the word transvestite in the literature. It's like saying you are a Ni$$ar with out saying you are a N...... It just offends me. But, I have to say it is an improvement over DSM-4

sometimes_miss
08-04-2013, 11:14 PM
It just means that we're making progress; that wearing clothes that have previously been only appropriate for the opposite physical sexed persons is no longer considered a problem of any sort. Of course, other problems brought on by that behavior (depression, anxiety, etc.) are still considered illnesses that should be addressed.