PDA

View Full Version : Types of clothes

GBJoker
08-01-2013, 06:44 PM
My mother has hinted at the possibility of going shopping for clothes this weekend because it's like... the tax-free thing or something going on. But there is one problem.

I am having the absolute most difficult time explaining what kinds of clothes I like and I am interested in, and in explaining what kinds of clothes would most likely fit me. For example, I've only very recently learned that yes, indeed, there is a difference between panties and boy-shorts. I've never figured out why they're called boy-shorts though... And really, I am still uncertain of the difference. Also basically, I can only name four types of bottoms; shorts, pants, skirts, and the bottom half of dresses. And that's just two of the seemingly thousands of examples. I mean, I've three total outfits now, and I couldn't tell any one here what they are, except their colors.

My question is, to both CD's and GG's, how did you learn what everything is? Is there a website or something I can go to that will explain it to me so that I can explain to other people?

Tracii G
08-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Go to any clothing store's web site and look at what you like best and the name of the garment will be right there.
Easy Peasy.

Zylia
08-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Visiting (online) stores and reading magazines or fashion blogs may give you some basic understanding of fashion and will generally also help you with making better choices. Also, Google.

Nicole Erin
08-01-2013, 07:22 PM
it gets confusing. Honestly, I cannot really explain the differences of names for all the stupid garments.
Learning about style and fashion does take a bit of time but there is no test so learn at your leisure.

Also, any female garment with the name "boy" tacked on to it like "boyfriend jacket" is usually not sexy or even cute. It is usually gross looking. Like gag me with a spoon gross.

I say the best way to learn about how to build your OWN style is - shop stores or websites for women similar to you. Here are a few examples -
Fat ladies like Lane Bryant and Catherine's (neither is very trendy though and they are over priced).
Younger, hip women like Forever 21, Dots, Deb...
Slender urban style women - Rainbow, Charlotte Russe...
Grannies like Kohl's.
If you are as bit larger for a woman but not huge - see what the trendy stores have.

Stores to avoid cause they completely suck -
Old Navy, AJ Wright, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Walmart, and Target. Christ I went to a Marshall's once and let me tell you, I cringed hard! They are like the WORST store on the planet.

Once you have a comfortable grip on fashion and your own style, the thrift stores sometimes have a jewel in them. Since you really have to rummage and know what you are doing, it is not a beginner-level store.

IN google, just type the name of a garment like say you heard the word "Cardigan" and you will see what it is.

For websites, you could check out chictopia. Keep in mind a lot of what they wear is kind of extreme. Not graphic or adult, just, well, extreme styling. Not everyday looks.

Fashion is about wearing what is in style right now (like those horrid neon colored shorts).
Style is about how you choose to express yourself.
Know the difference.

docrobbysherry
08-01-2013, 07:39 PM
OMG! U nearly tricked me! It's another "pantie thread"!

GBJoker
08-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Tracii G, Zylia: They all look the same to me...

Nicole Erin: The only stores I've been to so far are Wal-Mart and Target... All the stores you recommend scare me... And most of them aren't even within 20+ miles of me, that I know of.

docrobbysherry: This is not a "pantie thread." I'm also completely unsure what a tank top is, and how it's different from a t-shirt. I have a white long sleeve shirt that I was told is supposed to go under this light green shirt I have... And I'm not even sure what they are. I think the green one is some sort of sweater. They're definitely late fall to winter clothes, I know that much.

Tina B.
08-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Go to any main dept. store on line, find what you really love, and sit mom down and show her. The names can be a bit tricky to learn, but if you window shop on line, when you see something you like, it will tell you the name of the style. But then mom still needs to know what colors you like.
Most of us see boy shorts as to close to man wear, stick with Bikini, thong, or high cut briefs to start with would be my suggestion.
Sherry, a pantie thread is acceptable as long as it comes with a real question, and not just a panty thread!

Zylia
08-01-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm also completely unsure what a tank top is, and how it's different from a t-shirt.

...it's a type of sleeveless shirt worn by men and women (source: wikipedia).

lingerieLiz
08-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Where does your mother shop. Neiman's, Macy's, ... Sears? Where does she feel comfortable at? Don't have a good indication of your age. 12 to 16 shop in Juniors. Hardest is the age from HS to career. Look at women/girls your age and decide what looks good to you and how you want to be perceived. Don't try to be the cutest or the frumpiest. Pick things that are most common. Don't wear things that will make you standout. You need the time to learn who you are.

As for underwear. Your mother should be able to help. Most young girls wear hipsters or bikini panties. Boy shorts are in name only, they are cut for girls. Bras are the bain of women 80% wear the wrong size. I would suggest full coverage bras to start. With summer still going try for foam cup tee shirt bras. For both don't buy all the same. It would be best to try them on before purchasing, but if not buy different styles until you find things you like.

Don't be afraid of the Marshalls, TJ Max etc. stores. However with sales you can get as good or better buys in the department stores. Listen to your mother she can guide you on quality and appropriate purchases.

darla_g
08-01-2013, 11:03 PM
sizing can be confusing. Once you can figure out what size you may be there are always variations in size that go against the rule. It depends on how it is cut

ErinSassyPants
08-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Is there any way you can go with her? It is hard to learn the names of different kinds of clothes and that is way easier than figuring out what sizes you are. Especially in girls clothes where sizes are not the same across brands.

Cheryl T
08-02-2013, 02:46 AM
Read any store's website and then you can always Google the term. There are many, many different articles of clothing and many types in each. Takes time, but it's also fun to learn.

noeleena
08-02-2013, 04:51 AM
Hi,

This is about clothes though no dought youll not wear them . As a Edwardian i wear the clothes of the time 1900 to 1914 now they are different from Victorian times that are both sides of our time . in a day we women could change some 5 or so times in one day for different parts of the day / evening , now they all are quite different from each other then theres ridding clothes partys walking plus on it goes , some wordrobe of at least 20 different garments then as well as many others, i allso make my clothes .

Now i have not learnt all there is about the different styles & what each garment was for, for us theres more than a 1000 iv yet to learn about, not includeing my other group , so dont dispare , it does take time to get to know the differences .

& im allmost 66 & still dont have it all together,

...noeleena...

Ressie
08-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Capris, peddle pushers, leggins oh my!

It's gonna take some time and study to learn all the terms. There's a lot of styles that I don't know, but I've been learning a lot on this site. Spend some time in the clothing, accessories and shopping room, and google what you don't understand. During the last year I had an interest in learning the styles of shoes for example.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?52-Clothing-Accessories-and-Shopping

Jocelyn Quivers
08-02-2013, 08:39 AM
It's a very long, still on-going process. Even comparing it to male mode, most of the time your taste will change throughout your lifetime. During my younger years I was favored JC Penny's, Sears, Thalhimer's, Miller & Rhoades (going real old school with those stores as both went out of business during the previous century). Whereas now it's Khols, Target, and even Wal-Mart. For a simple item like Jeans, younger years it was Levis primarily, now it's Wrangler, it might change again in the future. Same with underwear briefs while younger, to boxers, back to briefs again.

Where this is leading to is it's almost taken the same path as my taste in my femme wardrobe are starting to evolve. Looking back on everything I bought during my first year of actually shopping, I would have no desire to wear any of those items currently, as not only variables such as my size changed, but it just took the process of actually seeing how I looked in certain styles to know they are not going to look good for my body type. Examples being kimono style wrap dresses, most button up collared shirts, most any dress or blouse material that is majority polyester, most 1 piece dresses that zip in the back, tank tops worn only buy themselves, low cut panties, white and nude color pantyhose (way too light for my complexion).

Basically learning your style is a lot like making an exquisite piece of art. It may go through several steps forwards, then back, changes in colors, materials and shapes which can take a very long time before the final product is finished. Just to keep your cost down, 2nd hand clothing stores might be a good place to start learning. :2c:

Tracii G
08-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Joker don't get all defensive just take the advice and use what you can.
Heck I don't even know all the names of clothes women wear and I've been CDing for quite a while.
You can't learn with out research and some effort on your part.
Don't expect Mom do do it all.Educate yourself and know what you want or your Mom won't think you are serious and just jumping on the trans bandwagon because its the new in thing to be.

Chari
08-02-2013, 12:10 PM
From a very young age, most GG's have been learning types of clothing, what to wear with what, trendy items in fashion for a season or two, plus material/texture, good colors that compliment your shape, skin tone, & hair color. Feminine fashions, fads, & trendy items continually change with the seasons, not at all like the male fashion items. Consider observing GG's in your age group, size, and skin/hair color to get ideas as to what YOU would like to wear. Look at fashion magazines, sale ads to get another view to show your mother what you'd like to try on. Most stores have a return policy as long as the store tags remain on the item for exchange. First you need to know your sizes as to what will fit you comfortably, then find a store that has a good selection of items in your size. Most SA's will be anxious to help with your outfits too. Try to relax, find your size, & pick your favorite color. It will become easier with practice.

CynthiaD
08-02-2013, 02:46 PM
You don't have to know what anything is called. There are only two things that are important.

1. Do you like it?
2. Does it fit?

If you can answer both questions "yes" then buy it and wear it.

If you're shopping in a high-end store you might want to consider a third question:

3. Can you afford it?

Eryn
08-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Although it is possible to characterize stores for their clientele, I have found great things even in stores that aren't supposedly for me. Forever21 is supposedly for young hip girls, but I found sleeved T-shirt maxidresses there that i love and couldn't find anywhere else. My mainstays are Kohls and Macy's but I also shop Dress Barn, Talbots, DKNY, White House/Black Market, Forever21, etc. I've never found anything I like in Charlotte Russe, but that doesn't stop me from dropping in to see what they have!

The way I learned about clothes is fairly simple, I read about them in catalogs for my entire life! Now that I am actively buying them I find that a lot of the definitions and names are not consistent. One manufacturer's "hipster" is the same as another's "bikini" so the only way to know for sure is to have the item in your hand.

Nicole Erin
08-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Nicole Erin: The only stores I've been to so far are Wal-Mart and Target... All the stores you recommend scare me... And most of them aren't even within 20+ miles of me, that I know of.

Hmm, well let us take another look...
So you are in St Louis and you say none of those stores are within 20 miles? If you are not close to St Louie then it is possible that it would be a drive. But otherwise....
GGGIIIRRRLLLL get on google and type in the names of those stores and then St Louis and you shall see.
Scared of them? Hell no you don't need to be scared. You want to be a fashionista you gotsta check it out. A trip to DOTS will not be a waste of time. Just ask Tracii G also, she knows that place is for a chic diva in need of some style.

You may not have figured out your niche in the world of style but a FASHIONABLE store would be a start.
Also with the places I mentioned, the prices are reasonable. Unlike say Banana Republic or Abercrombie that overcharge for ugly CRAP.

Yes, you should base your initial lessons on style and price on what DOTS offers. And as I said, forever 21, charlotte russe, rainbow and Deb are similar. Rainbow's clothes are chic but really cheapo quality.

If distance were not an issue, Tracii and I would take you shopping.

EDIT - Eryn is right, sometimes you find jewels in unlikely stores but it cannot be denied that some stores do cater to specific clientele.
But still, Marshall's is the SUCKIEST store on the planet.
Another sucky place is Stein Mart. I think that place is for middle aged housewives with NOOO fashion sense..

Damnit, y'all got me started about shopping.

EDIT AGAIN - Difference between tee shirt and tank top - Tee shirt has short sleeves but a tank top, AKA "wife beater", doesn't cover much of the shoulders even. When you watch COPS and they go to a trailer park to split up a domestic problem, the hairy fat drunk guy usually is in a tank top.

Jon7
08-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Have you tried sitting down with your mother and showing her pictures on the computer of styles that you like? This way she has an idea of what you like and can go from there. If she is willing to shop for you then I am sure she is willing to try to help educate you on the different styles.

BLUE ORCHID
08-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Hi GBJ, I've been dressing over 66yrs. I guess I learned by trial and error.

Beverley Sims
08-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Visit on line stores, and fashion advice on the net.
Google boy girl body shapes and differences.
If you finish that come back in six months time, you will still be confused.
I would go with your mother and try clothes on as a first choice.
I assume she is going to buy clothes for you? :)

Princess Grandpa
08-11-2013, 04:20 PM
I was curious if you and your mom went shopping as you thought you might. Did you find anything? Did the day go nicely for the two of you?

Hug
Rita

immike
08-13-2013, 07:14 AM
OMG! U nearly tricked me! It's another "pantie thread"! My favorite store online is
Bedford Fair? I buy all my clothes there&order Woolford pantyhose