PDA

View Full Version : Best place to be CD, TG, TS gay etc.

SallyS
08-02-2013, 04:41 AM
Silly question perhaps? but which Western/Industrial country is considered the most open and tolerant when it comes to all us more 'interesting' people?....not that I'm planing to leave the UK anyime soon:)

amy101
08-02-2013, 06:40 AM
I found Amsterdam the most accepting I spent some time over there most of which I was dressed and was totally. Accepted regardeless of whether I was in a bar or out buying groceries

Kate Simmons
08-02-2013, 06:48 AM
Any country is only as good or bad as the individual people in it really.:)

noeleena
08-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Hi,

This could depend on the person that is different could allso be if your a member of different groups how your percived with in the community you live in & what your standing is with in that community, how well you are known.

Or is this just a ? of one is visting a county or town Village or some small place.

In answer for myself im very involved with in our community, a member of quite a few different groups within a membership of 1000 people, well known , in N Z , Waimate in the south isl.

Austraila not much different for myself as iv been over there 3 times well accepted where ever iv been & in the redneck of Tasmainia well as i was told i just did not belive that so i met many people ,interacted with many, every where,
And dressed in my Renaissance garb so, i would be looked at more so.

I belive its attitude how you interact with others are you out going talkitive inviting interested in others & just an all rounder, now i have some disadvantages & some advantages yet im well accepted, dispite my short comings .& i have been told to come back & see those i met with a group i attended,

...noerleena...

linda allen
08-02-2013, 07:44 AM
I don't think it's the country so much as individual parts of countries (and cities). Speaking of the USA, there are places where you could face physical harm and there are places where you wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Robbin_Sinclair
08-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Anyplace with good music and a tourist trade. New Orleans comes to mind...and, of course, San Francisco. Key West is cool. Anywhere else in the US? Doubt it. Not anywhere in the Caribbean, I can assure you.

MsRenee
08-02-2013, 07:55 AM
I dont think theres one place any better then the other.
Society is slowly changing and accepting change is just a part of acceptance.
Renee

kimdl93
08-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Hey, it's not all that bad in Houston! Our mayor is a lesbian, we have active LGBT community and even in the suburbs I can go out without issue. Sure there are some deeply reactionary people here, but they haven't bothered me.

The biggest drawback of Houston is the insufferable heat and humidity that lasts from April through October. It's almost too hot wear a corset and wig some days!

Rianna Humble
08-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Since you are already in the South East, you could do worse than the people's republic of Brighton and Hove! You will also find a very good support group there called Clare Project

Tina B.
08-02-2013, 08:44 AM
There is plenty of places to go in America, you read about them here all the time, I'm surprised sometimes where it is open to the LGBTQ community.
Even in some small towns you will find friendly places, many bars will have one night a week, where they cater to the community as a way to boost there business.
Can't say about the rest of the world, but it seems there are places all over parts of Europe mentioned here from time to time, so I know there are places out there.

Kelly DeWinter
08-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Baltimore MD :)

Dianne S
08-02-2013, 08:54 AM
I don't think it's the country so much as individual parts of countries (and cities).

Yes, I think that's true. But the country does set the overall tone. For example, the USA is pretty tolerant overall, I think, and Canada is just slightly more tolerant. We're a couple of years ahead of the USA on gay marriage, for example, and Ontario has explicit protection for transgendered people.

In Canada, any large city has T-friendly zones. I'm not so sure about small rural towns in Alberta. :)

In Russia, things are looking very grim. Russia has set a regressive course.

Kimberly Kael
08-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Any place with good music and a tourist trade. New Orleans comes to mind...and, of course, San Francisco. Key West is cool. Anywhere else in the US? Doubt it.

You're selling a lot of the US short. Much of the West Coast is wonderful (Santa Cruz and Seattle I have personal experience with) and a lot of large cities are fairly progressive. The Northeast is also a good area. I haven't been to New Orleans in a long time, but it can get rough. There's still a lot of violent crime preying around the edges of the tourist trade.

robindee36
08-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Awfully broad question Sally. Seems we 'more interesting' folk congregate in regional clusters. Might be more meaningful to look at this question at the city or regional level. Allowing for that, North America presents quite a number of friendly communities. Many have already been cited by the other girls. I would add Chicago to the list as there is a fairly substantial LGBT community there.

I am not sure there is a country where we would be welcomed nation wide. However, there are numerous cities, towns and regions that accept us openly.

Have fun with your search and let us know what you decide.

Hugs, Robin

Druscilla Supernovae
08-02-2013, 10:16 AM
I'd imagine it would be San Francisco. Austin, TX. Is a pretty open minded city. And yes, Houston heat is unbearable.

Michelle (Oz)
08-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Often I see on forums the question of where can a CDer go. Sometimes the response is a gay bar but in reality it is most anywhere.

Anywhere I go or have been throughout Australia and parts of the US has been a pleasurable experience. Only on extremely rare occasions have I had a problem and those have been my fault for feeling bullet proof in all situations. It comes down to attitude and the level of confidence we portray.

MysticLady
08-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Silly question perhaps? but which Western/Industrial country is considered the most open and tolerant when it comes to all us more 'interesting' people?

Hi Sally

I actually think it's a thoughtful question. I believe Nations are learning as a "whole" just as we indiviuals are. It would be Grand if the world became one( and I'm not talking about New World Order and all that jazz). Just living Peacefully as one. Respecting "each" individual as "one" Nation.

Sorry, everybody can back too Sleep Now

Kate Simmons
08-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Victoria got me thinking with her comment. Actually, we have the makings of a "Trans Nation" with the members of this Forum. Most of us are easy going and "live and let live" and we are all learning. I think we are observed as a community and how we get along more than we may realize though.:battingeyelashes::)

Tracii G
08-02-2013, 11:20 AM
My city Lexington Ky is a great place to live.With a gay mayor, a strong LGBT/Trans community and fairness ordinance in the law you can go about anywhere dressed any way you want.

Jenny CD
08-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Santa Fe, NM is pretty tolerant. So is Albuquerque (where I live). Actually, I think most big towns or cities have fairly large LGBT communities. I've lived in Memphis, San Antonio, Midland/Odessa... and there were always support groups or clubs that us "interesting people'' could attend.

Zylia
08-02-2013, 12:46 PM
The Netherlands and especially the city of Amsterdam has (had) the image of being a queer safe haven. A lot of the conditions are still there. The Dutch society as a whole has a 'mind your own business' attitude, a majority of the people are irreligious and (probably related) have a slight disdain for any form of authority.

Unfortunately, the door is also open for less tolerant people and there has been some notable regression in tolerance the last couple of years, some neighborhoods can be downright unsafe for openly 'queer' people. However, I still think that the Netherlands are ahead compared to many western countries. Some countries are still playing catchup in terms of same-sex marriage and adoption. Only recently a new law has passed the House of represantatives that makes it easier for very young transsexuals to legally change their gender.

Dianne S
08-02-2013, 01:48 PM
The Netherlands and especially the city of Amsterdam has (had) the image of being a queer safe haven.

Unfortunately, I think the large number of Muslim immigrants is having a regressive effect on European attitudes. We see this in the Netherlands, France, Sweden and many other countries.

Even where I live (Canada), immigrant populations tend to be less tolerant of LGBT than native-born or second-generation Canadians, especially if the immigrants come from less-than-tolerant traditions.

I Am Paula
08-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Canada has a great laisez faire attitude. The one point that was missed here. Most parts of the world, particularly N. America are MUCH more accepting than a lot of girls give it credit for. I've said before, before bemoaning that your town is SO unaccepting, you have to go out first. If small towns were lynching Trans folks, I'm sure the media would have picked up on it.

Nikki68
08-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Portland, Oregon- very open and accepting metro area, all the bells and whistles of a big city, without MOST of the minuses, plus, avg summer temp in the high 70s, avg winter temps in the low 40s.

NathalieX66
08-02-2013, 04:34 PM
The east coast USA has been great to me so far. I can go out dressed as female pretty much anywhere, and get treated with respect.

Eryn
08-02-2013, 04:41 PM
I've never had a significant negative experience here in SoCal.

ArleneRaquel
08-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Cook County, USA is a lovely place, I haven't had a major bad experience her. Yes some evil stares and name calling, but nothing that could be called in any way serious.

Stephy
08-02-2013, 05:10 PM
I can only comment in the two places I have lived - South Africa and Australia. While South Africa has a very progressive constitution, in reality there is still a lack of acceptance of TG people. I was openly laughed at or subjected to verbal abuse on many occasions. When shopping in drab, most shop assistants could not understand why I would want to purchase ladies clothing for myself. They would assume I was pranking them.

Australia, on the other hand seems to be much more accepting, though I have only experienced Sydney and haven't gone out fully dressed yet. The shop assistants are generally very understanding and accommodating. The CBD is also more accepting than the suburbs. I have been given some strange stares when clothes shopping in suburban malls. There are very likely conservative parts of Sydney and Australia where CDs are less accepted. But on the whole, I would say Sydney is a good place for CDs.

Sabrina133
08-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Believe it or not, the city everyone flies over - Kansas City Mo.

Beverley Sims
08-02-2013, 10:38 PM
I do like San Francisco and London.
Skiing recently no one noticed.
Skiing is all a very androgynous activity.

Genny B
08-02-2013, 11:01 PM
When I visited Thailand I couldn't help but wonder how the women could all have such beautiful skin. Then I learned they weren't all women. I was really impressed that cross dressing was not a big deal there and was pretty much accepted. I have heard similar about other Asian cultures.

Kimberly Kael
08-02-2013, 11:50 PM
I do like San Francisco and London.

I love London, but I haven't been back since I got up the courage to be true to myself. The last time I was there in 2002 I attended Boy George's newly released play, Taboo, and the audience was wonderfully eclectic. Pete Burns, the lead singer of Dead or Alive was there. The gay couple seated next to me were surprised that an American would enjoy the show, under the impression that we weren't nearly as accepting a culture as the UK.

What were your experiences in London like?

donnatracey
08-03-2013, 12:10 AM
I'd imagine it would be San Francisco. Austin, TX. Is a pretty open minded city. And yes, Houston heat is unbearable.

No more so than San Antonio or Austin heat!.....:eek:

donnalee
08-03-2013, 02:53 AM
San Francisco Bay Area, but as with any other blanket statements,the exception (some suburbs, parts of the east bay, etc.) proves the rule.

Brooklyn
08-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Not a silly question... A very important question!! At last count, here in the US there were around 16 states that had legal protection for TG folks. Some counties and some municipalities have such laws. For example, you could be fired in San Antonio for being TG, but not in nearby Austin. Here's a link to the ACLU's guide on TG rights around the US: http://www.aclu.org/files/images/asset_upload_file781_33764.pdf

As a practical matter, I'm sure you can run into safety problems and harassment in even the most tolerant cities. I see you're in the UK, which seems to have a tradition of tolerance as long as no-one is disturbing public order. A few countries have good laws protecting us, but in practice are less tolerant, like South Africa. And there are different kinds of limited acceptance in places like Brazil or Thailand, from what I understand. My guess is that the most accepting place is SoCal; I hope to get out there sometime soon and find out!

docrobbysherry
08-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Maybe the best places for the folks you've listed to live would be the best places for ANYONE to live? There r lists of those cities and towns published every year in the USA.

Personally, I think a person would have to have lived in every place on earth to be able to accurately comment on this question. I done plenty of traveling. But, living in countries is much different then simply visiting them!

Frédérique
08-04-2013, 02:04 AM
Silly question perhaps? but which Western/Industrial country is considered the most open and tolerant when it comes to all us more 'interesting' people?....

I imagine any country that has been overrun by aggressive neighbor-nations repeatedly (like The Netherlands, Belgium, France, et al) would be more tolerant of individualistic behavior. I would put most European nations in this category, but, since I have no money to actually GO there, all I can do is dream about it. It follows that the U.S., a country that hasn’t been invaded since the War of 1812, would be less tolerant towards anything queer. I suppose, but when I see the cinematic work of John Waters I tend to think that America is OK, at least in terms of “hidden” queer-ness...
:clap: