PDA

View Full Version : Duality and Dysphoria Narrative Notes

xdressed
08-03-2013, 10:06 AM
This the overview for the story to my art project so far. It's semi autobiographical (things have been edited a little bit so that all the events flow into one continuous story). Uni doesn't start again for another 7 weeks so I want to get as much of the planning out of the way as possible now.

Ryan sits on a sofa and gathers everyone into the room. He sits nervously while they look up, he then tells them he is bi-gendered. They smile and say its fine and they don’t mind. Laughing they realize that is the real reason why he wears black nail polish. One of them asks if he’s ever been out as a girl and he says he’s never really had the chance, so they play a night out together. The story then skips to scenes of Ryan shaving and changing into Ria (which is Ryan in girl mode). Where he shaves, puts on makeup, changes clothes etc the blue tones of the story start changing to pinks and reds. Over this the speech bubbles explain how she had started coming out to a few other close friends as it got near to her first night out. Ria and her house mates then leave the house head out for the Queen Anne. They party and have some drinks there causing Ria to need to go to the toilet. Ria walks towards the toilets and stops hesitantly outside them. To represent the paranoia that toilets can cause trans people, the two markers representing the Ladies and Gents start mocking her, with the Ladies saying things like ‘you can’t come in here with that thing between your legs’ and the Gents ‘well you can’t come in here looking like that’. Ria then humorously says ‘screw you door signs, I’m a woman’ and goes in to use the Ladies toilet. Ria then explains what being Bi-Gendered means, accompanied by various visual metaphors. She explains that gender is a matter of emotional identity and not directly related to physical sex. Bi-gender people have both gender identity’s and switch between them involuntarily and often randomly, with these switches sometimes being triggered by something. She says that her gender works much like a pendulum, swinging from one to the other with a lot of room in between, and then talks about the importance of pronouns while in these various states. She explains that there are certain triggers sometimes, citing music, alcohol, clothing, news articles etc as examples, but that generally it is fairly random and unpredictable. Ria then mentions the difference between this and Multiple Personality Disorder and the damage that can be done by confusing them. As they all start to leave Ria notices she is getting a few odd looks. She explains she doesn’t really mind this as it’s not that bad and normally she doesn’t get noticed, but mentions the problem of Transphobia and ‘monstering’ of trans people. She carries on to say ‘but it’s not all bad, because I have met so many wonderful and accepting people since that day’. She then mentions the time when she had Kim stay over and they went on their first ever shopping trip together, playing in a band with Luci, and (insert story about Stephy). She then says that she finds most people are kind of like her mum, and recounts the story of coming out to her parents saying that while she was accepting of Ria’s bi-gender identity, she simply didn’t understand it and kind of put it down as being weird. Ria then expresses hope that this book will help to change that. The story ends with Ria returning home and changing back to Ryan, the pinks slowly changing into blues as he removes his make-up and wig and changes back.

What do you think, does it feel like I've covered enough and will it be accessible enough for non-trans people? Should the explanation of what Bi-gender means be moved right to the beginning after Ryan comes out to his housemates or is it ok having it about halfway through? Also, should I expand the ending a little so that it flows into a full narrative a little bit more? I'm not sure if it's ok or if it's more of a rushed conclusion atm

Beverley Sims
08-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Ria,
I was looking at your post, 86 looks and no replies.
I feel you may have to ask the question in simpler terms.
My grasp of the English language is such that I have an attention span 2 inches long.
Others have long attention spans that last for ten minutes or more.
There are probably too many key words to get my head around and if you asked one question at a time instead of asking us to write your essay you may get some responses.

I would like to help you but I have difficulty answering the question as each point I bring up may contradict the previous one.
Please post again and ask in simpler terms.
I would love to help you but I do not really understand the question.

I know a lot of philosophy students that explain things in a similar vein and the real argument gets lost in the woodwork. :)

sometimes_miss
08-04-2013, 11:41 PM
'Art project'? Unless you are delivering this to an advanced psych class (and even then, most will have all sorts of questions, because very, very few people have any understanding of cross gender people), there's going to be a lot of people who will not understand what's going on. They may smile and accept what you say, but actually understand it? Probably not. But go for it anyway, it will probably inspire a lot of discussion, either in class or after it. Sounds like fun.