PDA

View Full Version : Something for the Crossdressers

Veronica27
08-03-2013, 08:07 PM
A few weeks ago, I posted a thread entitled "What about the crossdressers" after searching for some crossdressing events that might be of interest to my wife and me. I mentioned that the itinerary of the Southern Comfort Conference was almost entirely dedicated to the transgender and even transsexual end of the spectrum and that this trend seemed to be the case at nearly all such events. Melissa Kozak stated that over the last twenty years these affairs had turned into "transition conventions". Many of the responders, including Melissa, agreed that while this was happening, CDer's could still enjoy themselves at all the peripheral happenings at these affairs.

I agree that these events can still be enjoyable for a crossdresser, despite the theme. However, a lot depends on the degree of confidence that the individual has been able to build up by attending such events, or otherwise getting out. In my case, I am now in my mid seventies. That means that I have been battling the demons of this activity for over sixty years. Most of that time was spent attempting to suppress the desires, which I managed to do in the physical sense, but not so much in the mental sense. I often found myself daydreaming or fantasizing about getting fully dressed up and venturing out. I had no desire to be a woman, but simply found it fascinating to be a man defying some of the cultural constraints placed on men and enjoying some of the unique cultural sensations available to women, even if it was only in my imagination. That all changed about twenty-five years ago, when I discussed this with my wife and she encouraged me to give vent to these urges, at least in private around the house. After so many years of suppression this was not easy to do, and accepting myself was a long slow process.

Eventually, I reached the stage where we both felt that it would be good for me to attend one of these CD events. I was nervous, and very unsure of myself, but the overall atmosphere of being among a bunch of crossdressers, where the talk was all about everything under the sun except transitioning, wanting to be full time or gender conflicts did wonders to relax me, build my confidence and create a very enjoyable experience. We have since attended one of these events almost yearly, but the last three or four have been increasingly oriented toward TG and TS matters. While I have been able to enjoy the freedom of simply being out of the house dressed, I am not sure the same could be said for anyone in the same position as I was six or seven years prior. It might be particularly unnerving for the spouse who is already trying to come to terms with her husband wearing women's clothing.

I am not saying that there is no need for such discussion or that these are not serious or pressing matters. I just think that the community has lost sight of its initial objective of helping people deal with a need that defied cultural norms, by helping them to accept themselves, realize how far they wish to go, and to ensure their safety and anonymity.

With this in mind, I was delighted to find an event that sounds like it might address this fundamental need instead of devoting its time to "trans" issues. It is called "Beauty and the Beach" and it has been mentioned a few times in passing on this forum, but I had not seen these references until I searched for them. It was created by Jo Ann Roberts, a name that is well known in the crossdressing community. Unfortunately, during my search, I also learned of Jo Ann's passing away a month or so ago. I am sure she would want this event to carry on for many more years.

The event does not have any seminars or guest speakers, but is simply a private party for all those who attend. The emphasis is more on providing a place for everyone to feel comfortable at their own pace, while not having to worry about their passability or how many clothes they have. The website for the event is:

http://cdspub.com/batb/

If we are talking about numbers, there are probably far more closeted crossdressers who are unable to find a way to safely satisfy their desires while being mindful of their responsibilities to family and friends, than there are openly full time transgenders and transsexuals. The community might be better served by a greater emphasis on providing encouragement, opportunities and means for those people to safely realize their dreams, rather than putting all its eggs in the basket of political activism and rights for what is in all likelihood a minority. The more people who are quietly open about their activities, the more that will be encouraged to be out. It is a trend that can, and actually did a few decades ago, feed on itself. Unfortunately, that trend was derailed by an activism that served the needs of a few, but drove many more back into seclusion because that new activist image wasn't who they were and created more problems and misunderstandings than help.

If anyone has attended the BATB event, I am sure we would all like to read about your experiences. Also, if you are aware of any similar events, please let us know. This one has received too little publicity.

Veronica

Angela Campbell
08-03-2013, 11:13 PM
In many areas there is a Tri Ess chapter where you can do this every month.

Beverley Sims
08-03-2013, 11:30 PM
You need to scan back through the listings and see how others have handled conventions an the like.
There many instances posted in this particular forum.
For more recent activities you could try "Special events and occasions."
These posts are deleted as they become obsolete.

Vickie_CDTV
08-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Whether or not there will be a Beauty and the Beach this year is uncertain. I wanted to ask Angela, her friend, but I didn't want to ask so soon and come off as insensitive. I always wanted to attend one of JoAnn's events, but always kept putting it off... I have a bad habit of putting things off until it is too late.

JoAnn's event was special in that it did offer something unique to crossdressers, in a time the trans community at large is moving more and more away from TVs and more and more towards only TS. There are still great conventions out there like Keystone that gives folks like me a chance to dress up, but it is sad the TV interests are forgotten.

Kate Simmons
08-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Jo Ann did use to also organize a big get together in the Poconos for many years but I think the welcoming atmosphere either changed or it was because it just got too expensive which is why she started a new venue at Rehoboth Beach. I don't think Angela would mind if she was asked. They had parted company somewhat over the years as Angela's latest gig is the "Laptop Lounge' Near Philly. You could also possibly ask Amanda Richards as she is usually up on this stuff. I think she is still a member of Lehigh Valley Renaissance in PA. I've been out of touch with the mainstream CDing for quite awhile and now just pursue local activities at the club when I'm able to. The club Rainbow Mountain in East Stroudsburg, PA holds special CD/TG theme weelends 3 or 4 times a year now. It mostly focuses on CDers, although anyone is always welcome.:)

Frédérique
08-04-2013, 02:19 AM
If we are talking about numbers, there are probably far more closeted crossdressers who are unable to find a way to safely satisfy their desires while being mindful of their responsibilities to family and friends, than there are openly full time transgenders and transsexuals. The community might be better served by a greater emphasis on providing encouragement, opportunities and means for those people to safely realize their dreams, rather than putting all its eggs in the basket of political activism and rights for what is in all likelihood a minority.

This is exactly the point that I’ve been trying to get across around here (without much success, I might add)) for the past few years, and the “official” position on this site is that IF you crossdress, you ARE transgender. I know the vast majority of MtF crossdressers are not TG, but they may be coerced into thinking they MUST be if they naively traipse across the crossdressers.com threshold. That’s fine, but no discussion is allowed about this divisive subject, a strange thing indeed for an alleged discussion forum. Transgender has become a euphemism for crossdressing in the 21st century...

Looking at all this from a distance, with the benefit of four years activity on this site behind me, in amongst the prevailing winds, I get the feeling that many people have painted themselves into a corner, in terms of gender, and they have, by necessity, become defensive in the extreme. Perhaps acceptance was a hard pill to swallow, and they don’t need any misgivings at this point in their lives, or any other viewpoints either, but there really is no need to be THIS defensive or exclusionist. Discussion suffers, or is non-existent (or, even worse, stillborn)...

I have no problem recognizing that there ARE transgender people among us, so why do some TG individuals have a problem recognizing people like me, the ordinary (non-TG) crossdresser? You know, some people like to go fishing and make a big deal out of it, while others, like the plain-old MtF crossdresser, like to sit on the shore of a river and cast their line into the moving water now and then – you know, to RELAX!

For the umpteenth time, trans-vest and transgender are two different, albeit related, things. Believe me, if you put ALL your eggs in one basket, there will be some breakage – I should know, since I once worked on an egg farm...
:sad:

Vickie_CDTV
08-04-2013, 03:53 AM
The Poconos resort JoAnn held Paradise in the Poconos at went out of business, from what I was told. She then switched to Rehoboth Beach.

I was thinking of asking Angela, since they were running TG forum together. I think Amanda Richards is a good idea, I will ask her. The only other person I can think of is JoAnn's wife, but I wouldn't want to bother her at this time.

Veronica27
08-04-2013, 01:18 PM
In many areas there is a Tri Ess chapter where you can do this every month.

Very true, but unfortunately for CD's a number of chapters succumbed to the pressures of being more open and diverse, and quite a few of those became independent organizations. In Canada, there used to be at least three chapters with a fourth in the planning stages. They have all become independent now.

You need to scan back through the listings and see how others have handled conventions an the like.
There many instances posted in this particular forum.
For more recent activities you could try "Special events and occasions."
These posts are deleted as they become obsolete.

A good suggestion for many questions, and I did use the forum's search functions to find the few comments of the BATB that I mentioned. One problem with this search was the name of the function which includes both "and" and "the", the two most used words in the English language if you discount "like" and "you know". Not many posts avoid "and" or "the" in their text, so I had to get creative. The search function did not seem to allow for "exact phrase". It is almost amazing how often "beauty" and even "beach" appear in the forum, often in the same post but not in reference to the BATB. I didn't scan the thread titles very far, as I wasn't finding much that way.

Whether or not there will be a Beauty and the Beach this year is uncertain. ... I have a bad habit of putting things off until it is too late.

JoAnn's event was special in that it did offer something unique to crossdressers, ...it is sad the TV interests are forgotten.

There was a meeting of procrastinator's anonymous and nobody came.:straightface::straightface:

Cancelling the event might be difficult and costly. A tribute to Jo Ann should certainly be a part of the program if it does continue.

Many can't understand why crossdressers interests are different from those of the TG/TS groups, but the issues that each group are facing are quite unique when you stop to think about it. BATB sounds like it addresses those CD concerns.

Looking at all this from a distance, with the benefit of four years activity on this site behind me, in amongst the prevailing winds, I get the feeling that many people have painted themselves into a corner, in terms of gender, and they have, by necessity, become defensive in the extreme. Perhaps acceptance was a hard pill to swallow, and they don’t need any misgivings at this point in their lives, or any other viewpoints either, but there really is no need to be THIS defensive or exclusionist. Discussion suffers, or is non-existent (or, even worse, stillborn)...

This is the great irony of the situation. Organizations like Tri-ess and the people who supported them were condemned for being "closed" and were accused of being prejudiced and exclusionary. Now the same forces that promoted a more "open" environment have brought about a new form of exclusion that proclaims we are not only all transgendered according to their new "umbrella concept", but must also be a part of their LGBT conglomerate. Any viewpoint that attempts to express the individuality of people who do not identify with those groupings, is looked down upon as being "treasonous" to the cause. We are expected to consider ourselves a part of a "closed" community behind their umbrellas.

Veronica

Angela Campbell
08-04-2013, 04:53 PM
I guess I do not understand what it is you are looking for. Is there something wrong with a group that has become independant from the national organization, ( I am not sure what the main differences would be) or are you looking for a group or an event that is only for non TG crossdressers and no others? Is open and diverse something you want to avoid? - not trying to be judgmental or critical I just want to understand.

Your statement of "The emphasis is more on providing a place for everyone to feel comfortable at their own pace, while not having to worry about their passability or how many clothes they have." sounds exactly like the once a month gatherings of the Tri ess group and another group I attend regularly. They are almost completely social and are a fun gathering of people who are having a great time together, and like to wear womens clothes.

Veronica27
08-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I guess I do not understand what it is you are looking for. Is there something wrong with a group that has become independant from the national organization, ( I am not sure what the main differences would be) or are you looking for a group or an event that is only for non TG crossdressers and no others? Is open and diverse something you want to avoid? - not trying to be judgmental or critical I just want to understand.

Your statement of "The emphasis is more on providing a place for everyone to feel comfortable at their own pace, while not having to worry about their passability or how many clothes they have." sounds exactly like the once a month gatherings of the Tri ess group and another group I attend regularly. They are almost completely social and are a fun gathering of people who are having a great time together, and like to wear womens clothes.

Let me begin by saying I think that Tri-ess is a great organization that has contributed a great deal toward the betterment of the crossdressing community. Its initial focus was as a support group for heterosexual crossdressers and their families. No one, to my knowledge was denied membership for existing outside of those parameters, but Tri-ess did not actively encourage them to join because it was not geared toward addressing their needs. There is nothing unusual about this approach. Special interest groups exist in every aspect of human activity. If I were a tennis player, I would not join a bowling league looking to find other tennis players, even though they are both sports.

As a recreational crossdresser who was looking for some friendship, and a social outlet for my little "hobby", I joined Tri-ess in the early 1990's because it appeared to fit my needs. When I was researching it, there were several Canadian chapters, but by the time my application was accepted and I was a member of the national organization, the only Canadian chapter left was in Calgary, several thousand miles away, and it soon left the fold as well. It wasn't until I went on the internet about a decade later that I discovered that Tri-ess had been under attack from many quarters for being a closed group, and that some chapters were breaking away to become more open. I have no quarrel with either approach per se as it should be the choice of the membership as to which path they choose.

My disagreement is with a certain faction that has become extremely political, not because of their politics, but because of their insistence that everyone is like them. They have adopted the term transgender as an umbrella term for everyone, despite the fact that in reality it describes a relatively small minority of individuals who have actual gender issues in so far as their self identity is concerned. Many of the so-called open groups and events , have in fact become quite closed in that the emphasis is on transition as shown by the agenda of most conferences.

To answer your questions, there is nothing wrong with a group becoming independent if that is what they wish. What is important is their reason for doing so, and the direction in which their policies subsequently lead. There is not necessarily any difference between being independent or a part of a national organization. It all depends upon how their policies differ. I do not wish to avoid open and diverse in any situation, but if an agenda becomes concentrated on any particular one of those diversities, then I can neither contribute to or benefit from the situation to any meaningful extent. This occurs in our daily lives all the time. As a mostly closeted crossdresser who is seeking a compatible venue where both my wife and I can enjoy some social activity with others while I am crossdressed, it makes no difference to us if they are gay, TS, TG, drag queens or what have you, so long as the situation remains social and does not gravitate toward issues that are unique to one faction of the overall group.

I am glad to hear that your Tri-ess group is mostly social and that you have a fun time. I wish that I could find something nearby that fits that bill, but so far I have not been successful. I quit Tri-ess because it had nothing to offer that I was not now finding on the internet. I have attended a number of events over the past 6 or 7 years, and it seems that they have gone from "let's get together and have some fun dressing up and getting out in the world" to "let's get together to demand our rights and learn all about hormones and the various surgeries available". Granted, you can still have a good time and meet some great people, but some of the discussions and themes can get a bit uncomfortable, especially for the spouse who may be uncertain as to where it all is leading.

I apologize for being long winded, but it is a difficult issue to explain in a few short words.

Veronica